PDA

View Full Version : AG systems / Piranha

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 08:31 AM
Quick question, but I'm still waiting for the PSP to come out in the UK and having been very nosey at the US PSP site, I notice that the latest Piranha craft and the new AG systems craft have exactly the same stats.

Is there a handling difference and can you throw the AG systems craft about like you always could on the other AG leagues?

I have ALWAYS used AG systems, with the exception of Wipeout Fusion ( I nearly cried when I saw the team line up ) and if they are making a return to the fold, I'd really love it if they kept the same racing profile as before!

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2005, 08:39 AM
Ummm.... I think the website might be telling porkies, they are very different. AG Systems has very high thrust and handling at the expense of shield and speed, whereas the Piranha is the fastest of the lot with average shield and thrust and poor handling. Check my guide on GameFAQs for a rundown of the teams and their pros and cons. :)

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 08:41 AM
Methinks the site is broken then, cause I've just loaded it again and it reckons Piranha and AG systems are the same lol

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2005, 08:57 AM
Couldn't be further from the truth. :wink:

Oh, welcome to the site by the way

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 09:00 AM
thanks for the welcome, I really really love Wipeout, even going so far as to wipe all my friends smiles off their faces by beating their Phantom laptimes on Talons Reach using AG systems :D

Admittedly I also used it as inspiration for the essay I wrote in my English GCSE's too way way back :oops:

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 09:11 AM
AG-sys does have the potential for Phantom record beating. In Phantom, more often than not the problem for getting good times is one of maneuverability, especially on technical tracks with killer curves and chicanes like Citta Nuova and Karbonis.

You might be interested to know that one of the best pilots who plays online is an AG Systems fan. Wowawa, who I haven't faced myself, has been smoking everyone who raced him, including the players who have been feeding me their dust since I first downloaded xlink kai.

I you have no idea what xlink kai is, it's a program that lets you connect your PSP to play online with other people. There's a thread about that HERE: http://wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2266

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 09:18 AM
I used to use the XLink software to monitor the game info and take screenshots of my lap times on my PS1. I was fortunate to have one of the early com port models, so I could connect it to my pc.

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 09:25 AM
Cool!

Many of us use it to race online, some crazy things happen when you race other people as opposed to AI racers. It also forces you to upgrade your tactics in a hurry, or be left behind. I improved a lot in no time.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 09:26 AM
My fave races were Link up on 2097 and split screen on wipeout 64, some of the most furious and insane AG dogfights in my racing history! Your tactics have to adapt to deal with human abilities and racing style, as well as the additional weapons use, it does force your game to improve!

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2005, 09:27 AM
@Drakken: That reminds me, I've added you to my contact list.

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 09:29 AM
Cool! I'm going to add you as soon as I play online again :)

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 10:14 AM
Well I'm getting a wireless adaptor this week and I'm counting down the days until I get my PSP, so hopefully after I get settled into the new AG systems craft I can give you guys a race or two!

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 11:32 AM
be careful WHICH wireless adaptor you are getting, though, there's a link to a site that lists working devices in the xLink Kai thread Drak linked to above.
Best to get would be a D-LINK DWL-122 - Drak and me (and some other people on Kai) use it and it works perfectly.

Oh and welcome to the 'zone! :)

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 11:33 AM
thanks for the tip there, I like the D-Link kit, I was considering getting one of their firewalls too, but I have too few mains sockets as it is, let alone adding more stuff into the system!!!

And thanks for the welcome too!

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 11:44 AM
the DWL-122 is a usb device, nice and easy, so you won't have to worry about using sockets.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 11:45 AM
I was going to be lazy and have it so that my pc doesnt have to be turned on lol

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't know that this works at all! Except maybe with a linksys wireless router...

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 11:56 AM
well I have a router / firewall that I use to access the net, I was going to stick a wireless network access point into the back and just leave it turned on. It should work on the basis that the modem itself has the undername / password and then the PSP could just connect through it.

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 12:00 PM
nope, sorry to break it to you, but as far as I know it won't work like that. With xLink, the only two wireless routers that work are linksys and buffalo. Other than that you will need a seperate wireless device to connect to your PSP. You have to establish an AD-HOC connection to your PSP, as opposed to the INFRASTRUCTURE connection you use for the internet.
Best to read the whole xLink Kai thread before you buy anything useless...

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 12:08 PM
Agreed. Your best bet is the Dlink DWL-122 adaptor, though it's starting to be hard to find since it's been discontinued in favor of the newer model DWL-122G which although SEEMS the same, has been found to be extremely unpredictable in its interaction with kai.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:16 PM
I'll have a read and see about getting the 122. As for buffalo routers, we sell them at work and I'm sorry to say we keep getting them back because the range of the wireless seems to be shorter than the length of our cheapest ethernet cable!!!

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't trust the single-router method anyway, I don't remember having a successful connection with someone who uses this setup, but I could be wrong. DWL-122 is safe, and we could even help you set it up if you got problems.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:20 PM
well its a small sacrifice to have my pc on while I play pure online, so I'll see about getting the 122 :D

Cheers for the tips, keep em coming in lol

eLhabib
12th August 2005, 12:25 PM
you will want to have your pc up and running anyway, since you will want to chat between races and commit to the usual post-race trashtalk :wink:

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:35 PM
lol thats very true, although I try not to trash talk if possible. If I'm beaten fair and square I don't mind :)

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 12:44 PM
There's one odd thing that eLhabib has also noticed but don't need to be worried about. When you establish the ad hoc connection between your PSP and DWL-122 adaptor, it'll initially say "low signal" and after a few seconds shift to "no signal" - and yet it will work just nicely. I've had entire descension tournaments go by without any lag while my Dlink software insists that there's no signal.

It works, and that's good enough for me :D

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:48 PM
curiously, I've just looked at what stock we have at work and we sell the 122 still, its the G122 but that should be the same thing!

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 12:51 PM
"Canadians look like us... but they're DIFFERENT!" - John Larocquette

It seems the same, yes, but with a catch - the DWL-122G is a G type adaptor, while DWL-122 is a B adaptor. The PSP doesn't seem to like G connections, as its built in protocol is 802.11b, not g. Practical experience from other users has landed the DWL-122G in the "doesn't work" pile.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:56 PM
but G stuff should be backwards compatible with B though? Even the new PRE-N kit works with older wireless equipment. We even managed to get windows98 and XP networked together wirelessly across different standards!

Drakkenmensch
12th August 2005, 12:58 PM
"In theory, theory is the same thing as practice. But in practice, it isn't."

Like you said, it SHOULD be, except that in the real world it simply isn't. Go ahead and try if you like, but be ready for a whole lot of headaches.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 12:58 PM
well the good thing about working where I do is that I can take it back whenever I like ;)

Hellfire_WZ
12th August 2005, 01:00 PM
The DWL-G122 has been confirmed by Team XLink as being incompatible with the PSP. Trust us, stick with the standard 122.

bakkufu
12th August 2005, 01:02 PM
right, i'll be trying to find me one of those then :P

***EDIT***

just found some on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and ordered one :D