PDA

View Full Version : airbrake techniques

DuraFlex
31st March 2002, 08:01 PM
Hi, I'm new on this forum here. Played the original wipeout and wip3out, but wipeout fusion really has got a grip on me :).

My question is how to use the airbrakes optimal. I got my own style using them, but watching my times and so I dont think I use them properly. How do you "pro's" use them???

thx

rhys
31st March 2002, 08:05 PM
u have 2 use them slightly before the corner on the faster trax. i assume u use the right one 4 right turns ans theleft one 4 left turns. :wink:
all i can say is that, and not 2 use them 4 very 'light'corners 8)

hope this helps

Wamdue
1st April 2002, 09:42 AM
Florian heights doesnt require much airbraking , so for making your ship as fast as possible, degrade your airbrakes ( i degrade them completly for those tracks). When I airbrake i go for small alignments and for those big curves,i dunno..just airbrake ;)

DuraFlex
2nd April 2002, 11:32 AM
thx for the tips allready :)

btw i tried to use the left airbrake in a right corner as well, and the ship seems to hold a steady line in some corners, although very slow so its not really recommended.

greetz :)

Hyper Shadow
4th April 2002, 05:03 PM
Yeah, Shadow is back!!

Well, I managed to get one of the best times in my Cubiss Float 1 challenge and my secret was to tap the air brakes.

i.e. turn into the corner, as you understeer tap the air brakes to decrease the turning radius and release, reapeat until through the corner.

It is soooooo very different from the 'normal' WipEout technique, which is why your braking techniques for the previous games will be shot if you play this for too long ;)

vincoof
4th April 2002, 07:47 PM
Sometimes it's useful to airbrake in the opposite direction.
Don't underestimate it !

Confusion
4th April 2002, 09:19 PM
Florian heights doesnt require much airbraking , so for making your ship as fast as possible, degrade your airbrakes ( i degrade them completly for those tracks). When I airbrake i go for small alignments and for those big curves,i dunno..just airbrake ;)

Florian Height doesn't require any airbraking! :)

As for Air Braking tips...

I reckon there are two ways to go into big corners: Coming from the outside and diving inwards or coming inside and airbraking early. Sometimes you don't have a choice as to which one you use because of other racers, so it's best to know how to do them both. The best method is really the diving inwards one as you don't lose as much speed and airbrake usage is minimal (mainly for correcting yourself). You can use the opposite airbrake to correct yourself mid turn of you find yourself in a bit of bother.

A good place to practice airbrakes are on Katmoda 12 (that big wide turn) or Temtesh Bay (on the way up for course 1 and 3).

A slightly more advanced tip is to experiment with downgrading airbrakes on certain tracks. For instance on Florian Height you would have no airbrake upgrades so any usage would cause the minimal loss of speed. Just experiment and have fun. :)

Confusion
4th April 2002, 09:22 PM
Yeah, Shadow is back!!

Well, I managed to get one of the best times in my Cubiss Float 1 challenge and my secret was to tap the air brakes.

i.e. turn into the corner, as you understeer tap the air brakes to decrease the turning radius and release, reapeat until through the corner.

It is soooooo very different from the 'normal' WipEout technique, which is why your braking techniques for the previous games will be shot if you play this for too long ;)

You don't know how much I use that technique on Zone mode! And yeah, you do seem to lose less speed.