PDA

View Full Version : Some Kai ground rules

Drakkenmensch
8th August 2005, 11:34 PM
It saddens me that most people who really need to read this the most probably never will, bu there goes anyway.

When you enter a Kai room, there are some rules of conduct that you should follow, lest I ignore you entirely - or worse.

1) I am not here to show you how Kai works.

Granted, if you run into some difficulty trying to connect to a game and you've tried everything you can think of, I'm willing to help out with some suggestions. I will NOT, however, show you everything from square one because you can't be bothered (god forbid) to try it out for yourself.

Don't make me tell you "STFW", people.

2) I am not here to play a different game.

Oh, come on. If I'm in the WIPEOUT PURE room, that should be your first clue that I'm here to play... [Ben Stein voice] anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone? [/Ben Stein voice]
I will not stand for anyone who keeps berating me to play Ridge Racer, to pleeeeease come to the FIFA room, asks me repeatedly if I ever play Darkstalkers or keeps telling me how freaking awesome Coded Arms is. There are other rooms for that. I'm here to play Wipeout, the name of the room should have been your first clue.

3) I am not here to wait.

I don't mind waiting a minute while someone reboots Kai or reloads his PSP after it froze and crashed. I've had that happen myself, I can understand. What I cannot stand however is someone who asks a group of four people to wait to start a race and goes away for ten minutes or more, talking on the phone or something, while the group could have had SEVERAL races in the meantime. If you don't want to race RIGHT NOW, don't hold up the group. It's just common courtesy.

4) NO ALL CAPS PLEASE

Seriously, haven't you learned that by now? What are you, seven years old? Is the mystery and intricacy of the Caps Lock little green light too much for your feeble mind to grasp? Wipeout online may just be a little too much for you, try something else more to your level, like ten-piece jigsaws and tic-tac-toe on a two by two grid.

Who knows? You might just learn something.

These are a few rules I got off the top of my head, these are not immutable nor are they restrictive so that I can't add more at a later time. Those of you who already understand them can appreciate my point of view, and to you, I thank your kind hearts and wish you happy racing.

To the others... don't make me show you WHY I call myself a dragon.

eLhabib
9th August 2005, 12:16 AM
:clap
you truly speak from my deepest heart. +1 to that. WORD!

...oh, and

... don't make me show you WHY I call myself a dragon.
am I the only one who is NOT trembling? :P :wink:

Drakkenmensch
10th August 2005, 02:26 AM
Additional rules!!!

5) Get all download packs

Those of us who race on Kai will want to get us some freaky race action in Gamma League. Almost every race has a Van Uber or Tigron racer involved. I love my Staten Park. And eLhabib loves to conclude a long racing session with a devastating Phantom round on Altima VII... so make sure you're up to date on downloads! You don't want to miss on all this fun!

6) Get the 2.0 firmware update

The wifi will run a lot cooler and you'll experience far less heat induced PSP shutdowns - if any at all. I don't care if you don't want to lose homebrew. It's just a collection of small games you've been playing on your PDA for years. You're not losing anything, you're gaining a fantastic racing experience.

7) Have the actual Wipeout Pure UMD in your PSP

In my experience, players who download the image on their memory stick to avoid buying the game will avoid getting the gamma packs (see rule 5), either because they don't run right with a pirated version or for fear of (gasp!) getting a forced firmware upgrade (which does NOT EXIST!) and lose their homebrew software (see rule 6).

Studio Liverpool went through a lot of trouble to give us a fantastic game, so it wouldn't kill you to encourage them to make a sequel by BUYING the first one. It's worth the money. Also, if you're too cheap to buy the game, don't come whining to me that Kai isn't working right for you. When you're disrespecting my favorite game, I have no obligation to respect your pirating ways.

8) Four racers per game, please

Not as much a hard rule as a strong suggestion, this one. Six racers is still playable, but the additional framerate loss just saps too much from the racing experience to really justify the extra players. Try it with four racers to a game, max. You'll agree it's really the best number for online multiplayer. Also, try to make subrooms in the Wipeout room to avoid added player traffic, that seems to improve the flow of the game. Your game will only be more fun from preserving a high framerate.

Race in good health, everyone!

eLhabib
10th August 2005, 02:53 AM
CHECK :!:

Dogg Thang
10th August 2005, 06:38 AM
Your belittling of homebrew alarms me.

lunar
10th August 2005, 11:15 AM
Drak, you`re definitely right about the slowdown once there are more than four players, though sometimes problems can come in once you move from 3 to 4 players, so I wonder if its caused by the PSP, or whether the internet isn`t fast enough once you get five players in. Maybe you could have more if all the players were at close geographical locations? I think I read on Kai that the overall speed of the game is determined by the player with the weakest/slowest connection.

eLhabib
10th August 2005, 11:42 AM
the speed is NOT affected by the internet connection. The PSP only supports an 11mBit/sec connection, so your internet doesn't need to be very fast to keep up. Btw, in that 6 people race, evryone had a good ping. It's the framerate that suffers.

lunar
10th August 2005, 01:47 PM
If there are 6 or more wanting to play we could host parallell tournaments with a promotion/relegation system. That would add some spice to things.... as if it needs any. :wink:

With people who ask for help I just ask them if they`ve followed the psp connection guide on Xlink forums and refer them to it. If they have followed it properly, shown a degree of gumption, and still need help, that`s reasonable. If they didn`t know about it most people will then go and look at it. You always get some who aren`t prepared to do anything for themselves, or who are incapable of understanding that you need more than just a PSP, a PC with Kai installed on it and a large helping of magic or the intervention of the Holy Spirit..... but they can just be ignored. This policy seems to work OK for me.

Drakkenmensch
10th August 2005, 01:59 PM
I agree with you on that, Lunar. If you've read everything on the subject, tried a dozen different configuration setups, reinstalled your wireless drivers three times and restarted kai more times than win 95 on a compaq machine, I'm going to help you there. Clearly you deserve help since you're willing to help yourself!