PDA

View Full Version : Racing team family reunion

Drakkenmensch
7th August 2005, 05:57 PM
It occured to me this week that once the Icaras ship is out in a download pack, only EG.R and Xios will be missing to have the ENTIRE historic roster of the whole Wipeout history in a single game.

Something to think about!

Sven
7th August 2005, 06:07 PM
Well, it might be every team that ever was around, but I wouldn't call it a complete historic roster. Qirex, for example, has had pretty different ships between Wipeout 1, XL, and Pure :wink:

Drakkenmensch
7th August 2005, 06:14 PM
Granted, and it's even more obvious for Pirahna whose first incarnation had no weapons and far better handling - but still, it's pretty cool that nearly all teams who ever entered the competition have a representative in the race.

Sven
7th August 2005, 06:17 PM
I'd be even more excited if we had a complete historic roster of the race tracks...

eLhabib
7th August 2005, 06:26 PM
...and you forgot about G-tech (although they really aren't worth remembering).

Sumimasen
7th August 2005, 06:31 PM
Anything relating to Fusion gives me that 'someones just walked over my grave' feeling...

... Having said that, it would be nice to have all the missing teams attend the party, just for completist's sake!

After all, SL have done a wonderful job with the Van-Uber and Goteki45 redesigns! :D

KingTalo
7th August 2005, 08:36 PM
After all, SL have done a wonderful job with the Van-Uber and Goteki45 redesigns! :D

On that note, has anyone seen the concept image for SingleRace>Altima VII>Venom? It shows a concept image for Tigron that has a much better skin than the bland yellow/grey one they went with. Also, there's a very nice looking one for Icaras under SingleRace>Altima VII>Rapier.

Drakkenmensch
8th August 2005, 12:30 AM
*slaps forehead*

Of course! Almost forgot G-tech!!!

Dogg Thang
8th August 2005, 06:36 AM
Yeah, KingTalo, I saw that. Also the Goteki design on those images has a black bit around the cockpit which is nice. I wonder if these will be offered as livery versions? Probably unlikely but it would be cool. I'd actually love to see a Tigron with a huge version of the logo plastered on it, dark red on yellow.

syckls
8th August 2005, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I imagine that at some point they would come out with liveries for Zone, Medievil and the downloaded ships...

Ahh, back from vacation at last.

Kansas
8th August 2005, 04:10 PM
...and you forgot about G-tech (although they really aren't worth remembering).

ugh... that was such an ugly ship. When I first got Fusion, I was hoping that ship would get better wtih the mods. In the end it looked like a flying turtle... and handled like one, too!

eLhabib
8th August 2005, 04:30 PM
actually I thought the last tuning step looked pretty sweet. not wipEout-ish, but like a mixture between the batmobile and an f-zero pod.

Sausehuhn
8th August 2005, 04:35 PM
yeah, the green G-Tech was definately the best one! It looked a little bit evil with it's grill... well... on the track it was the total opposite :dizzy

Vortex
8th August 2005, 07:35 PM
I would be more than happy not to even think about the G-Tech ever again, and really can't possibly imagine that it will make any kind of appearance in and future download.

EG.r on the other hand, now that is one ship I would like to see in Pure, but it looks unlikely that it's going to appear.

halokixass16151
19th August 2005, 01:15 AM
Okay, listen everyone!

I am almost positive taht they will bring Xios and EG-R back because they had no plans for naything after goteki, yet they are releasing Icaras. Also, there are about 4 or 5 more downlaods.

BTW, Don't orry, G-Tech will never ,make a reapearence. it was just a little goodie for Teh Designers Republic, and they as you all know, do not make hte WipEout games any further. So, G-Tech will not reappear. It was the Medievil of Fusion.

Lance
19th August 2005, 02:58 AM
G-Tech was not for Designers Republic; it was for Good Technologies [ G TECH ]. please check your facts before posting

Zero [RG] [HG]
19th August 2005, 03:18 AM
Imagine the other one... "D-Rep" ...Wait, that doesn't sound right... hmmm...

Lance
19th August 2005, 03:43 AM
yuck. [regurgitates supper]

halokixass16151
19th August 2005, 12:47 PM
Oh, Sorry aboutthat, i had a brain freeze :)

eLhabib
20th August 2005, 05:45 PM
Okay, listen everyone!

I am almost positive taht they will bring Xios and EG-R back because they had no plans for naything after goteki, yet they are releasing Icaras.

Simply not true. It was commonly known that we would get the tigron, vanuber, goteki and icaras as downloadable ships. SL even supplied forum avatars showing their logos. I wouldn't expect EG.r and xios back.

Lance
20th August 2005, 09:02 PM
too bad. although i've not played Fusion, it seemed from all the comments i've read over the years [and videos i've seen] that those two ships were perhaps the most interesting ones in the game to me.

eLhabib
20th August 2005, 09:08 PM
EG.r was definitely the most interesting one in design, it introduced some new shape approaches to the wipEout universe, which I think layed the foundation for the Harimau ship design (anyone see the connection like I do?). Also, EG.r was the only team in fusion with a logo of decent standard (...well vanuber was okay too I guess). By performance measures the EG.r wasn't anything special tho :(

Oh and don't even get me started on xios! Apart from having the cheapest, bluntest, pseudo-futuristic logodesign (IMHO, that is), the ship looked like a giant freakin POTATO! :blarg

EDIT: just had a look at the fusion logos in the avatar gallery, and yes, the fusion auricom logo is even worse. In fact I think it has to be the CHEAPEST TRY AT MAKING A HALF-ASSED LOGO I HAVE EVER SEEN. I mean cmon, evry 10-year-old with MS paint can do that! UGH!

Lance
21st August 2005, 12:06 AM
ahem... did i not give our former member, 'feiyen', some criticism for over-the-top insulting of the designers about matters that are really just about personal taste?

[''some criticism''. heh. i am so understated. :) ]

eLhabib
21st August 2005, 01:19 AM
I am not saying the designer is bad. All I say is that one particular logo seems half-assed to me. He certainly showed that he can do better with the EG.r logo! :P :wink:

Rouni Kenshin#1
21st August 2005, 01:25 AM
hay, for all you know they had a different person working on each logo. I would not bite the had that feeds you wipeout.

halokixass16151
21st August 2005, 01:37 AM
No no no, im not syaing after the game was out, but im sayign eveyrone thoguth that Goteki was gone for good. They came back, and people were surprised. Oh, and sorry for my typos. i type 98 words per minute,a nd its hard to not make mistakes typing htis fast and im too lazzy to check :-P

halokixass16151
21st August 2005, 01:38 AM
Also, its kidna coolhow i know alot about WipEout alreayd, when i only HEAR of the series 12 days ago...

Drakkenmensch
21st August 2005, 01:53 AM
Any team could conceivably rise from the grave. Even though Tigron was shut down for good and Qirex had a chance to return as a result, a final Tigron assembly line model was found, and most probably sold on Ebay by Crazy Ivan ;) That would explain why they returned, so any team could have a reasonably believable story.

halokixass16151
21st August 2005, 01:58 AM
Incase noone read, im sorry. Im good now, and i promise noot to be rude ever again.

eLhabib
21st August 2005, 02:49 PM
...krazy ivan. lol. 'HOLD ON, MICKEY MOUSE! I'M COMING!!!'

oh what a great game that was... 8)

Lion
22nd August 2005, 06:13 AM
Oh and don't even get me started on xios! Apart from having the cheapest, bluntest, pseudo-futuristic logodesign (IMHO, that is), the ship looked like a giant freakin POTATO! :blargin it's base form, I'll give you that.
But a fully upgraded XIOS is a thing of beauty

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 07:16 AM
sorry, but I dislike the fully upgraded version even more - all of a sudden the ship design changes COMPLETELY from one step to the next, the team colors are gone, WTF?! also, with its silvery skin and the two pods on the sides it just looks like any other ship from a science fiction B-movie...

Lion
22nd August 2005, 07:22 AM
all of them change totally, and generally for the worse. piranha is just a mutant fully upgraded, and auricom is worse. at least xios gets sleeker

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 07:26 AM
EG.r has a perfect last step upgrade, the main color changes, but it still remains recogniseable. Same with g-tech and vanuber and tigron. With auricom, piranha and feisar, at least the shape stays roughly the same.

xios, however, has NO connection AT ALL to the previous steps...

Lion
22nd August 2005, 07:32 AM
shall we just call this one personal taste and let it lie?

bakkufu
22nd August 2005, 07:34 AM
...krazy ivan. lol. 'HOLD ON, MICKEY MOUSE! I'M COMING!!!'

oh what a great game that was... 8)

I had forgotten that line, many thanks for the reminder :D

eLhabib
22nd August 2005, 11:39 AM
shall we just call this one personal taste and let it lie?

agreed. :)

randomperson1
22nd August 2005, 07:23 PM
:D It is likely that both egr and xios will appear in pure
downloadable ships=
gamma- van uber and tigron
classic- icaras and goteki 45
omega- 4 new ships
that leaves 2- xios and egr
nx1000 will probably be a 'limited edition' ship
as for g-tech, they'll never come back (hopefully)

Rapier Racer
22nd August 2005, 11:11 PM
hopefully? nah never because then it woud be like free advertising for G-Tech, but then again there is that coke ship.....

kaiotheforsaken
22nd August 2005, 11:55 PM
i cant wait to see the return of the icaras. cant wait to see what the next pack of downloadable goodies will bring us.

Sausehuhn
23rd August 2005, 01:39 PM
4 ships. yeah.

1. Xios
2. EG.r
3. NX1000/Coca Cola Exclusive (they're the same)
4. G-Tech

Could be right, couldn't it?

Sven
23rd August 2005, 02:58 PM
i cant wait to see the return of the icaras.I was just thinking about that. What do you think the stats will be? I think 5speed/5thrust/3sheild/1handling would be a good guess...Wouldn't that be fun :lol:

Hellfire_WZ
23rd August 2005, 03:05 PM
Not sure, all the other downloadable craft have followed the 5/4/3/3 layout, and if I recall correctly the Icaras had really bad thrust in Wip3out. The 5 definitely has to go in speed, but I'm really not sure where the 4 would go.

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 03:19 PM
Considering what the Icaras did in Wip3out - ultrafast and a bit sluggish on steering and thrust - the other stat of 4 would likely go in shields. It might not follow 5/4/3/3 precisely, either - they might surprise us with a 5/5/3/2 or somesuch.

randomperson1
23rd August 2005, 03:26 PM
hopefully there will also be a ' turn medievil off ' option added too :!:

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 03:33 PM
Actually, what would do it would be a "Turn Off Complete Bastard" option, since the computer seems to randomly choose at the beginning of a torunament WHO will consistently win any gold you don't get and the silver on those you do. Medieval and Triakis just seem to win this lottery more often than anyone else.

randomperson1
23rd August 2005, 03:37 PM
good point.

kaiotheforsaken
23rd August 2005, 04:18 PM
i cant wait to see the return of the icaras.I was just thinking about that. What do you think the stats will be? I think 5speed/5thrust/3sheild/1handling would be a good guess...Wouldn't that be fun :lol:

after just playing wip3out this morning i think the Icaras should have slightly nicer handling. But to me it seems like pirahnas handling kinda got owned in pure so maybe Icaras could pick up the slack there.

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 04:25 PM
Just because the Piranha got a handling rating of 2 doesn't mean it got "owned" - it's my craft of choice and it doesn't stop me from regularly trouncing people online who choose the Zone, Van Uber, Feisar and Medieval. There ARE ways to compensate this weakness through careful piloting.

That being said - a handling of ONE? That would just be CRUEL. The only stat of one on ANY ship is the shield rating of the Zone and Medieval, which has earned them the loving nickname of "origami ships", because they have the same material resistance as if they'd been made out of folded paper (possibly with a little duct tape)

randomperson1
23rd August 2005, 06:30 PM
icaras ratings=
speed 5
handling 4
thrust 3
shield 3
judging by the rest of the downloadable ships' ratings.

Lance
23rd August 2005, 08:16 PM
the Japanese NTSC version of WO3 has a handling rating of 3, while it's only 2 in the North American version and the PAL version. so handling level 3 may be a distinct possibility for Pure, but the shield will probably be really weak, and the thrust, too. but think of it if it went speed 5, thrust 5, shield 2, handling 2. hooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't it be a lot safer to fly with a giant rocket engine strapped to our back, a la Wile E. Coyote?

Hellfire_WZ
23rd August 2005, 09:29 PM
*imagines an ACME sponsored ship* :lol:

kaiotheforsaken
23rd August 2005, 09:51 PM
ok maybe owned was a tad harsh, but the handling of the pirahna in pure made me shy away from it and use other ships. i prefer ag systems at the moment, but i'll probably try pirahna again. as for the Icaras i just hope its handling is nicer because with nice handling and an almost gaurenteed 5 in speed it would definately be my craft of choice even with slow accel and bad shields, and i'd actually be bummed if they made it closer to the zone or medievil ship stats so hopefully the stay away from insanely uber.

Drakkenmensch
23rd August 2005, 10:00 PM
The ACME ship wouldn't have a start button - it would have a fuse sticking out from the main exhaust, and no one would be there to help the pilot, he'd have to light it HIMSELF with a wooden match (that would HAVE to be scratched on his own ass to light up) and then RUN to leap into the ship before the three seconds countdown allowed by the fuse turn on the ship's rocket with an uncontrollable "pedal to the metal" burn :)

eLhabib
23rd August 2005, 11:10 PM
ok maybe owned was a tad harsh, but the handling of the pirahna in pure made me shy away from it and use other ships.

actually, the only thing which mmade me shy away from the beautifully agressive piranha is its low acceleration. Most noticeable after sharp turns, which the assegai just rockets out of, while the piranha pilot has to try and find a line where he doesn't need to slow down too much. Also, the piranha has a really slow boost start at the beginning of a race, I can nearly ALWAYS zoom by it on the first 50 meters of track.

kaiotheforsaken
24th August 2005, 03:27 AM
speaking of pirahna, think they'd bring back pirahna II? i only vaguely remember it back when i played WO64 and i haven't unlocked it in my copy. its probably a long shot to get it since we already have pirahna, but its a thought.

Sven
24th August 2005, 04:11 AM
I should get WO64, I keep feeling like I'm missing so much.

kaiotheforsaken
24th August 2005, 04:41 AM
i think its a rehash of XL but i could be soooooo off, i've been reliving all the old playstation ones, especially wip3out. i needa go back to 64 and check it out more.

eLhabib
24th August 2005, 10:33 AM
the piranha II is only called that way because it is an evolution from the 2097 piranha. it's not a team by itself, so no, it most likely won't be back.

Drakkenmensch
24th August 2005, 11:38 AM
It was ridiculously overpowered anyway. If you want to have an equivalent to it in Pure, you'd have to pump up the Zone ship shields to 5 and bingo! Instant WO64 Piranha 2!

randomperson1
26th August 2005, 11:12 AM
nx1000! :D
http://cokestyle.net/game/pass02.html

Hellfire_WZ
26th August 2005, 11:20 AM
No, it's just another skin

randomperson1
26th August 2005, 11:30 AM
I mean't that there's a picture of nx1000 at that link. it looks quite cool, actually. (although it will probably be bad-looking with the coca-cola logo all over it)

infoxicated
26th August 2005, 11:36 AM
That's not the NX1000.

The NX1000 hasn't been created - the ship you see in the coke download just happens to have been created by Egg - the same guy who did the concept artwork of the NX1000.

Hellfire_WZ
26th August 2005, 11:37 AM
Oh right, I thought you was referring to the pack. I think it is due in the third pack, which should be out on Monday if the remainder of the schedule is still active.

EDIT: oh... bugger, so my guide is wrong... :cry:

Egg
26th August 2005, 03:22 PM
Maybe I'll get round to building the NX one day.

Bear in mind, though, that yellow craft in the desert is only my concept of what the earliest ship might have looked like ( notice it's manned by two pilots like a jet fighter ).

Hellfire_WZ
26th August 2005, 05:46 PM
So what would you call this craft? It could do with a name to go under in the guide. :)

Egg
26th August 2005, 06:05 PM
Hmm ... :| any suggestions would be welcome ...

randomperson1
26th August 2005, 07:16 PM
here's some suggestions:
vaskei
beiton
:idea: dalika

Mobius
26th August 2005, 07:16 PM
Chamelea - Come from New Zealand

The team are a small scale racing team which has only emerged in the last year. Their funding is from companies who sponsor the team. Advertisement of the given company is acheived via a full scale ship livery, hence the name deriving from chameleon.

The FX300 Governing body have so far refused to allow the team to take part in the main league so far due to the fact the full blown advertising may lead to the repeat of the F9000 league's dark corporate undercurrents and demise.

Edit: Sorry about the NX1000 error Hellfire, my bad.

kaiotheforsaken
26th August 2005, 08:11 PM
It was ridiculously overpowered anyway. If you want to have an equivalent to it in Pure, you'd have to pump up the Zone ship shields to 5 and bingo! Instant WO64 Piranha 2!

i think i'd only want one as a visual change, i really dont like uber ships like that.

Hellfire_WZ
26th August 2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry about the NX1000 error Hellfire, my bad.

Not your fault at all, I saw it and immediately jumped to the same conclusion. :)

Anyway, let's hear some more names, it'd be good to see which one Egg goes with.

randomperson1
27th August 2005, 11:47 AM
Vaskei (otherwise known as al-vaskei R.D., pronounced Vass-Kay)
origin: saudi arabia
founded:2167, closed in same year, re-assembled in 2197.

Vaskei were founded by a rich saudi president who wanted a team to enter the F9000 racing league for his son, a large fan of the sport.
But the new ship proved to slow to compete and the model was turned down. The president figured making another ship would be far too expensive.
30 years on, after the death of that very same president, his son (the new leader) has decided to enter a much improved vaskei ship, in honour of his late father, vowing to be succesful.
The new ship has (so far) needed to advertise brands to make up for the money lost in making it.

Spaceboy Gajo
28th August 2005, 02:37 AM
Love your back story randomperson1! Sounds like it was an actual part of the Wipeout universe :)

randomperson1
28th August 2005, 10:01 AM
:D thanks!

Sausehuhn
11th September 2005, 06:17 PM
it's in Hellfire's guide!! 8O

Hellfire_WZ
11th September 2005, 06:53 PM
Yeah, we went with that one in the end. Good name and the backstory was easy to work with.