PDA

View Full Version : Zone

rhys
31st March 2002, 04:29 PM
ok... i have tried and tried but i cant do zone

is there anyone here who can give me tips? :lol:

Anastasia
1st April 2002, 02:09 AM
I wish I could but I am struggling with zone too! I just can't get past zone 20 on area 1. How the flip do you get above 30?????? Any suggestions?

PS. I consider myself quite a veteran wipeout player so to be dumbfounded by zone is a little frustrating and embarrassing to say the least. I completed Arcade and AG League quite easily so where am I going wrong with zone? I can even say I know the tracks inside out by now.

Any tips?

Ana :-?

DarkoS
1st April 2002, 09:48 AM
Any tips?

Use brakes every time you turn the ship. Even on straight USE BRAKE, thats the key to succes. If you not gonna belive me just look on the zone score that im have. Well im actually break the 5 billion but countner starts count from 0 when im pass 4.3 billion :(

I wish you 10 billion and many many more because how much you gonna score on Zone mode depend`s only from that how calm you are because neurosis is VERY BIG. - this is not a prima aprilis joke.

Good luck and use break even on straight

rhys
1st April 2002, 04:41 PM
i use the airbrakes alot only i find that they make the ship unbalanced.....
rhys is only on zone area 5 :oops:

Hellfire_WZ
1st April 2002, 06:38 PM
Trust me, the airbrakes really make a lot of difference for moving about. On higher speeds, just using the pad/stick can unbalance it even more.

PS: Don't worry about progression. You'll get there eventually. If you panic because you're approaching Zone 30, try racing for score alone to take your mind off the zone counter.

Anastasia
2nd April 2002, 02:32 PM
I think I probably just need more practice. I tend to go for airbrakes anyway but I am used to the heavy ships, Auricom and Tigron, so the prototype is very fly-away in comparision and I think that's what I have the problem with. More practice, methinks, and I 'd better start seeing results..... :x

Ana :D

jmoid
2nd April 2002, 04:38 PM
apart from the free sections, little taps on the brakes are good.

also think hard about the route you're taking. for instance on the corner before the final straight on florian you need to keep quite close to the side.

rhys
2nd April 2002, 06:06 PM
apart from the free sections, little taps on the brakes are good.

also think hard about the route you're taking. for instance on the corner before the final straight on florian you need to keep quite close to the side.

nice tip, il have 2 try that! :D
i try not 2 think about what im doing in zone(lol) :roll:
ana...r u taking notes.

jmoid
3rd April 2002, 05:45 PM
yeah i should have said "don't forget to enjoy the game" :) hehe... when you think about the route, it's really just being aware of where you are on the track and whther that's the best place to be.

satriani
4th April 2002, 11:24 AM
I've found the easiest way to survive in Zone is not to think about anything (easy for a dim wit like me)to do with what I'm doing. I get more perfect laps thinking about mundane things (why is my arse so hairy, christ thats a big spider etc.etc.) and as soon as I start actually thinking about where I'm going I stuff up!

Still it takes all sorts I suppose.

Hellfire_WZ
4th April 2002, 06:57 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I don't even race with the music on, anything other than the track distracts me! :)

rhys
4th April 2002, 07:28 PM
i usualy get best results by NOT CONCENTRATING on what im doing.....let it all come naturally!!! :wink:

eg...what goes on inside my head.....

My ps2 really needs dusting
My controler is all sweaty
Need.... Liquid!!
:D

Lance
4th April 2002, 08:06 PM

I'm the exact opposite. I don't even race with the music on, anything other than the track distracts me! :)

i think that's why i do racing games better when i'm tired and drunk, it slows me down enough to where i can concentrate on what i'm doing, and it slows up my twitchy overreaction so my control inputs are less wild. i hardly ever drink anymore [not enough cash], but i can still stay up till 6 am!

vincoof
4th April 2002, 08:35 PM
Well, do you know that there exists a theory which grants alcohol benefits for the brain ?

zaarock
6th April 2002, 09:24 AM
woops i forgot to say this dont press X! it gets the ship go faster. It goes foward itself.

rhys
6th April 2002, 10:45 AM
r u sure about that, i didnt think x did anything in zone mode!!!! :-?

Lance
6th April 2002, 04:51 PM
vincoof: i had heard that small daily intakes of ethyl alcohol can help in stress reduction. in fact, i have personally experienced this effect. i don't know that there are any physiological benefits. alcohol is a poison and a solvent when applied to organic material such as brain cells. ;)

Hellfire_WZ
6th April 2002, 06:37 PM
So what's your top zone, Lance?

Lance
6th April 2002, 07:31 PM
i'm just a ''zone moderator''; i don't have Fusion zone. if it does show up here and i can afford a ps2, then i'll have it, but i'll be crap at zone mode, that i'm sure of. you'll notice that i've never offered any zonemode-specific advice! ;)

Anastasia
7th April 2002, 08:44 AM
Hi there, everyone!

I've been taking many notes and am now up to zone 29 in area 1 (I know this sounds pitiful to all you experts but considering I couldn't get passed zone 20, 29 is brilliant - one more zone before I can progress to area 2).

I have taken the airbrake advice to heart and I also find that I can go into like a trance while I'm doing zone, which I find helps a lot. I never look at the score or listen to what's going on around me - it's just me and the track and a nice floaty feeling!

The Future's Bright, The Future's Zone!

Ana :D

rhys
7th April 2002, 09:07 AM
sounds like the problem i have!!!!

working on it though, all this advice is really helping, thanks! 8)

zone
11th April 2002, 09:23 AM
Suggestions for playing zone mode....

1. Relax
2. Adopt a position where your feet are higher that your head (more blood circulation to brain)
3. Slow breathing down
4. Empty your mind
5. Become the ship

rhys
11th April 2002, 05:14 PM
so i should play zone whilst in a headstand position????? :(

that might b hard.......... ;)

DuraFlex
12th April 2002, 10:02 AM
Not if you turn your tv upside down as well :)

rhys
12th April 2002, 05:29 PM
lol!!!

so zone means breaking my neck and my tv!! ;) :o

does anyone do this????? :-?

Hellfire_WZ
12th April 2002, 05:52 PM
Can't say I've tried! :lol:

oggob
17th April 2002, 04:21 AM
how I play Zone,

In game music must not be played, I listen to my own cd's in which I feel more comfortable with...

I sit in a cross legged position on the end of my bed, just over 1m away from the TV which is 34cm, the TV is higher than my head so the neck has to be raised slightly, my hands hold the controller basically in my lap, yet on the outer-side and infront of where my legs actually cross...

I drink only inbetween Zone races, never during, I don't eat anything, and try to keep my thumbs grease free

I use the STICK, not pad, I find the pad very very bad for zone, others may be the other way around but this is my feelings on the Stick/Pad debate.

Now, in-game tactics are hardto explain, as during the highest speeds I find that I am just doing what needs to be done and I don't think about turning the corner, it just comes naturally, when to turn, how much brake, etc...

But, braking is important, I use it from Zone 1 on, usually on the slower speeds to get an extra pad or something, but in the teens, i use the brakes to correct lines and things like that, this way you become reliant on them, which is needed on the higher speeds, and using them early is good to gain confidence in how well they work, how much pressure is needed to get around certain corners and all the things like that...

Oversteering around a corner, the brakes maybe your best weapon to save yourself, turning the opposite way could cause you to start fishtailing around and eventually hit a wall, but oversteering and using the opposite brake to the corner (ie:left corner, right brake) this gives the ship a strafing effect, pulling the ship away from the wall and can straighten the ship up.

A BIG POINT - Relax! ignore what Zone you are in, that is the downfall in everything, trying to beat a certain Zone, and knowing your getting close will cause major problems... take each corner 1 at a time, yet also keep track of where you are on the track, this way you know what is ahead of you, and you can line your ship up for the next section with ease, will lead to perfect laps...

In my early days at playing the game, I got stuck in the 40's, when I hit the 40's would tense up and just all my reactions would be delayed. I have implimented a mental tactic...

Visualise yourself at Zone 30, and having say 20 shield points left.... after you get that, Zone 30 and 25 shield points, etc and so on... after a while I was thinking, going perfect to Zone 30, and then after that, losing 1 point of sheild per Zone, so that would take you to Zone 60+! That's how I play the game...

Currently for Area 1, I am hoping that at Zone 60 I still have 30+ points on the shield... it's the only way I got to Zone 109!

So I'll end my post (story) here, enjoy the game, as that will get your further than you think! Keep Playing and practicing!

Cheers All! :D

rhys
17th April 2002, 05:43 PM
WOW!!!!! :o

thanks oggob!!

il have 2 try some of that advice! :D

and i think i now know what the problem is, i always look at the zone counter!!;)

i shouldnt but i do!! i have 2 try and relax more!!!!! 8)

lunar
18th April 2002, 01:50 AM
Hi Oggob

very useful advice there. I think I knew a lot of it but the problem is applying it, especially relaxing at zone 40+. Getting the right mental attitude is hard. I once thought I needed to be home alone to do zone, but my best score on Florion 3 was done with my daughter sitting on my knee, leaning on my arms, while I was talking to my wife and brother in law and I was not really paying much attention to the screen. Any advice (anyone) on how to get "in the zone"? How exactly do you go about "emptying your mind" and concentrating at the same time?

Also, Oggob, can I ask what view you use? I like nose view. I would do cockpit view, but while its a rush its not succesful in zone mode.

Hellfire_WZ
18th April 2002, 02:45 PM
Great technique description Oggob. I always race with my legs crossed as well, it gives a much more stable place to rest the controller. As for finding the best environment to race in, I guess it really differs from person to person. Lunar, you got your best score with company, yet I would probably get slaughtered on Zone 10 in the same situation! I can only race with absolute concentration on the track, even my own music distracts me. Emptying your mind can mean whatever you want it to mean; either empty your mind of the tense atmosphere of Zone, or empty your mind of your surroundings. :wink:

lunar
19th April 2002, 02:14 AM
Sounds like sitting with legs crossed is the way forward. Unfortunately, if I did this I`d be in extreme discomfort by zone 20. :x

oggob
19th April 2002, 03:00 AM
Lunar - this is probably where I "cheat", the view I use is from behind the ship, while I do like racing in low for Arcade and all that, I just find that I have to see my ship so I know where it is on the track and how much I can slide it out around the corners before hitting, so that's my view...

anyone hitting good Zones from within the ship, I take my hat off to you! :D

I liked the legs crossed because it is so stable, that way the only things that can really move is your thumbs and fingers, yes your body can move, but that would move everything else as well...

Cheers All! :D

lunar
19th April 2002, 12:26 PM
thanks 4 the info, Oggob. When I feel I can`t go any faster I`ll change view and see what happens. Lots of crash and burn to start with I expect.

JABBERJAW
19th April 2002, 04:17 PM
I until recently have had under 25 getting up to zone70 or so, and then raced really well from there on out, but am finally not messing up on zone 8 :evil: for a one point loss or zone 54 for a one or two point loss. these are my main trouble zones. between 50 to 60 and losing a point or two before 40, basically wasting energy due to lack of concentration

oggob
23rd April 2002, 01:40 AM
I have a mental problem during the race, I am fine until I get to Zone 30, after this I WILL hit a wall between 30-45, it's a mental thing, I can't go prefect, if I was to, i'd get more stressed out and couldn't relax.

At 50's ok, only lose a couple, silly mistakes, having hit 60 is where it starts to go like Al, i lose easy shield points, and by 70 can be down at 20.... and then get better, have to work on the hardest parts..... when the ship isn't going it's fastest! :-?

Rob Queste
6th May 2002, 11:26 PM
Lol... right now I can only dream of reaching the zones you people are reaching... I've just opened up the zone option and 28 is my current highest...
By the way, what are the speeds you reach around the higher zone numbers, that's what I would like to know.

oggob
7th May 2002, 03:54 AM
Lol... right now I can only dream of reaching the zones you people are reaching... I've just opened up the zone option and 28 is my current highest...
By the way, what are the speeds you reach around the higher zone numbers, that's what I would like to know.

in time you will start getting better and reaching higher and higher zones.

about your query about the speeds, around about where you are, i would say that a lap would take about 20secs... by zone 60 where it reaches its top speed, i clocked a lap that took 11.2secs.... which is 7secs faster than a 100% Pirahna.... think about it....