PDA

View Full Version : Is Xlink Kai allergic to upgrade 2.0?

Drakkenmensch
30th July 2005, 09:21 PM
Okay, first time today I try to race with someone over kai since upgrading to 2.0 - my PSP keeps freezing and shutting down JUST as it's about to detect the game I want to connect to. Searches normally, but if I'm about to detect a game, WHAM it shuts down. Hosting doesn't work, nobody sees my games.

After reconfiguring my ad hoc wireless link entirely, same problem. After turning kai off, my computer was forced into a reboot.

Had anyone been able to connect to other players to race since upgrading the PSP OS to 2.0?

eLhabib
30th July 2005, 10:03 PM
yes, I played a couple of games after upgrading. no problems here, except for the 'normal' occasional freeze when I browse through the multiplayer game setup too fast...

lets test this tomorrow, huh?

Drakkenmensch
30th July 2005, 10:11 PM
*nods* might have been my computer in dire need of a reboot. Thanks for confirming for me that it STILL works. I feel reassured now :)

lunar
31st July 2005, 10:53 AM
Drak your topic title scared the poo out of me for a moment there. :wink: Glad it seems to be OK. Being a cautious, Luddite sort of fellow I was going to wait until I knew 2.0 was OK with Kai b4 upgrading - but went ahead anyway and its well worth it - nice to get screenshots off gamespot to use as wallpaper anyway. I did attempt to post this from the PSP browser but I was halfway through the first sentence when I realised there are other things I need to do today. Of course as you can see its possible to make much longer and more irrelevant posts on a PC.................

anyway I should get the chance to get on Kai a bit more this week.... hope to see you and El there.... assuming there aren`t any probs with 2.0. That freeze and shut down thing has been there with 1.5 too. Sometimes its a duff connection and sometimes I just have to slow down a bit with the menus, as El says. The other night I was in a game and three or four people`s PSPs crashed simaltaneously as we tried to connect. It was quite amusing in a tragi-comic sort of way.

*departs to polish Qirex and load bombs*

Drakkenmensch
31st July 2005, 12:08 PM
I think my PC was the real cause of the problem in this case - when I turned off kai the last time, it forced my PC into a spontaneous reboot, which was especially odd.

eLhabib
1st August 2005, 12:29 AM
OK everybody, no need to get all worried by this thread's title. We just had a 3 hour session of purE, including even one mind-boggling, eye-burning DESCENSION TOURNAMENT with four players (Drakkenmensch, Sparks, Markvamp, and my humble self), proving that the version 2.0 upgrade DOES NOT CAUSE ANY TROUBLE with xlink kai multiplayer.

enjoy! 8)

Drakkenmensch
1st August 2005, 12:32 AM
More good news on top of that - my WIFI adaptor in my PSP did not overheat a single time, and my PSP did not freeze and shutdown once either! Neither was I thrown out even once of a race lobby while waiting for the game to start.

It was in fact my compy all along that was the problem - the PSP online components show VAST improvement in stability with 2.0! So go ahead and update without fear!

lunar
1st August 2005, 01:27 AM
and everyone in the UK hoping to play online with a USB shouldn`t wait too long to get one. The only one in the UK which I found easily available is a DWL122 - and this is a discontinued product - although they`re easy to get atm. This might not last after the PSP comes out here. A USB is definitely the cheapest way to tunnel your PSP, but there really aren`t that many models which XLink guarantees to work and which you can still buy in the UK.

A lot of the newer USB adapters - the Linksys and Buffalo ones for example, don`t work too well with Kai, if at all. apparently.

of course I might be crap at searching the net for adapters, but I wouldn`t want anyone to miss getting the chance to fly into one of my bombs. :D

Drakkenmensch
1st August 2005, 02:29 AM
... or miss the chance to cross the finish line and suddenly notice from the huge explosion that I hid a bomb right behind it ;)

eLhabib
1st August 2005, 09:53 AM
...or miss the (as Drakkenmensch named it) 'ELHABIB QUAKE EXPERIENCE [TM]'' :wink:

element42
1st August 2005, 10:17 AM
dammit, will you quit talking about multiplayer online pure like this?! It's making me soooo jealous. :evil:
less than one month to go....

Kyro
1st August 2005, 12:40 PM
hi, drakken
hi, elhabib

i ve just discover this site and found that you were in the forum
see you soon on kai ;)

- - -
Kyr0 on kai

eLhabib
1st August 2005, 02:42 PM
hi kyro :D

Drakkenmensch
1st August 2005, 02:57 PM
Heya Kiro! Nice of you to join our little gaggle of geeks ;)