PDA

View Full Version : So what's wrong with Zone?

Dogg Thang
29th July 2005, 06:14 AM
When I first got Pure I loved the fact that the Zone tracks were made especially for the mode and the look was excellent. Given that the Zone mode in Fusion caused so much of a stir, I thought that Zone mode in Pure would be extremely popular.

And yet, very few people seem to be talking about it. Is it the scoring system now that the multipliers have gone? Is it just that there is so much else to do in Pure?

Sumimasen
29th July 2005, 07:25 AM
Maybe it's because in Fusion, Zone was the stand-out quality feature. I think in Pure the bar has been raised significantly in the rest of the game, so Zone doesn't stand out any more, it just fits in...

I certainly enjoy(ed) Zone in Pure, it's just that for medal junkies, it only equates to 4 of the total, so will get played a lot less by guys after a full score sheet.

I have been meaning to go back to Zone actually, as my skills have improved, and it would be interesting to see what difference it would make... :D

Hellfire_WZ
29th July 2005, 08:02 AM
I thought I'd be hooked by Zone mode in Pure, but I can't get away from the racing. Like Sumi said, both are on equal grounds now rather than Zone being the only thing worth playing. It'll probably change as well once Foxy gets the league tables up and running.

aesop
29th July 2005, 08:10 AM
I think Zone is boring as ****, just because of the art style they used. They're just like the Classic tracks. They look nice on a whole, but to race on, it's just a blur of gradiant colours. Which isn't interesting.

Is my memory failing, or weren't the Zone tracks in Fusion real.

Sausehuhn
29th July 2005, 08:15 AM
The zone tracks in Fusion weren't any special tracks, just the 1st and the 3rd track forward and reverse of the three main tracks "Florion Height", "Mandrahsee" and "Cubiss Float".
So, yes, they were real. But some things that looks just good in the normal racing mode (like grids or walls) bacame a real frustrating thing in zone when you hit one and lost 10 energy pieces of you 30...

Hellfire_WZ
29th July 2005, 08:19 AM
Good point, I remember trying to navigate the freeform section in Florion Height. That was an absolute nightmare on high zones. Do you remember the energy barrier as well that flipped your craft all over the place?

Sausehuhn
29th July 2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah. But the the thing that was really, really annoying was this grid over the track after the 2nd ventilator :brickwall
That was/is the reason why I never reached zone 70... aaaargh!!!
Or the last stones in this wider section at Florion Height 1. Everytime I crash into it on zone 50-60 or higher.
Or at Madrashee 3. The short tunnel that comes after the looong straight that goes downhill. There is this big wall with all these advertisments on it.
And did I mentioned the trees at Cubiss Float 3 forward and reverse? Sure, you can fly around it. And I usually do so. But then there's still the "entrance" to the "normale" track - with these silly edges where the real side panel begins...

Drakkenmensch
29th July 2005, 12:15 PM
*looks confused and mixed up*

:dizzy I haven't played Fusion - I think this conversation has veered like it would be better located in the Fusion forum.

Lance
29th July 2005, 12:38 PM
not really. it should just go back on topic ;)

lunar
29th July 2005, 01:16 PM
there`s nothing wrong with zone at all...... its just as Sumi says. I`m not playing it atm because its a drug..... and once I get back into it I can`t leave it alone.

if there is one fault with zone its that the ship should be more cushioned and hit the deck less, as this breaks up the rushing hypnotic feeling slightly - but that applies to the rest of the game in a way too and isn`t really a big big issue.

In the next WO I would like to see a multiplayer zone - two of you on track at the same time, no weapons of course, and see who`s nerve holds the longest. You should have a display of your rival`s energy meter too - so you can ram them into destruction if possible - or trash your ship because you dared to look down at it. :twisted:

eLhabib
30th July 2005, 05:38 PM
now THAT's a nice idea right there! Listen up, SL!

Dogg Thang
30th July 2005, 06:38 PM
I was playing Zone earlier in order to try to answer my own question. One thing I think I would have loved, given that the feel is so different, is a Zone-specific soundtrack of just ambient stuff, no beats, to give it a real trance-like feel. And maybe the colours could very subtley change as you rise up through the zones. So the whole mode becomes a different experience.

Mobius
30th July 2005, 06:50 PM
A track which would change tint from red to orange and so on throught the rainbow depending how well you do...

Nice 8)

infoxicated
30th July 2005, 06:54 PM
Those are cool ideas - I like both the music and color changes :)

Not a big fan of Zone myself (I'm more of a rhythm racer) but I know the groovy chick who created the zone tracks would love to do more if the lead artist could be convinced there's a demand, so keep on posting your ideas.

Mobius
30th July 2005, 06:58 PM
I don't know what zone is like, or pure for that matter.

But if the fusion versionof zone is anything to go by... long live zone!

Dogg Thang
30th July 2005, 06:58 PM
Well that's one of the main things with my suggestions on the music and colours - the thing I love about Zone mode is the unique feel it has and that comes down to the look of those tracks. That white section on the second track makes me want to play it just to experience it. It's beautiful. Give my compliments to the designer!

lunar
31st July 2005, 10:56 AM
I love the colour change idea, but would turn the music or extra SFX off always - concentrAtion is everything.