PDA

View Full Version : Tackling Wipeout Pure, Wip3out Style!

BenjaminBirdie
26th July 2005, 04:50 PM
So, as has been my custom with all previous iterations of the game, now that I've unlocked everything there is to unlock as far as ships and tracks (and liveries, whee!), I am now starting in earnest on my eternal quest to get golds on every track in the game with every ship in the game, just like they set it up in Wip3out. I'm also including Time Trials, since they're medaled in this game.

Anyone else have this bizarre and troubling approach to the Wipeout series?

Keep in mind, I've never actually finished any of the games in the series this way, but it is the most fun way to laser-etch the tracks onto your brain. My only fear is that it's actually impossible to get TT golds on the Gamma tracks with certain ships. Can anyone confirm or deny this supposition?

Anyway. Back to work!

Axel
26th July 2005, 04:56 PM
Man I wish you good luck on your quest to this mad goal. But your right in the sense it will have all the tracks laser-etched into your brain. But you will find that some crafts wont be able to complete certain TT scenarios. Well i say good luck to ya.

eLhabib
26th July 2005, 05:08 PM
good luck with phantom TT on sebenco peak and the 'citta using piranha/triakis! No way I could do it, but maybe you can!

lunar
26th July 2005, 05:22 PM
best of luck to you indeed, but don`t forget that with zone and medievil plus the 4 downloadable ships it all adds up to a pretty mind-blowing task, literally. 14x300 and something gold medals by the end. Even if you can complete all the time trials with all the ships, which may well be impossible, you are doomed to failure as in the process of completing vector class a further 13 times you will fall into a thousand year sleep from which you may never recover. If you include vector descension tournaments in your quest I will seriously fear for your health/sanity. :wink: I struggled to stay awake doing it just once (it was post-pub, but anyway.....)

eLhabib
26th July 2005, 05:51 PM
(it was post-pub, but anyway.....)

actually I think that is the ONLY way to play vector descension without losing more braincells than you have already lost by drinking too much beforehand! I did vector descension exactly the same way :D

Drakkenmensch
26th July 2005, 05:56 PM
Redoing all the tracks on Vector for the Descension tournament, I suddenly got the unshakable feeling that I was suddenly 90 years old, near sighted, and keeping my turn signal blinking on right for the entire length of the tournament :D

wirehang
27th July 2005, 09:53 AM
I recently wrote an article about obsessive compulsive disorder in games playing...

http://forum.wayoftherodent.com/viewtopic.php?t=2201

matt

rejj
27th July 2005, 11:11 AM
Keep in mind, I've never actually finished any of the games in the series this way
Not even W3/W3SE? :(

Getting all golds in W3SE is about an afternoon's worth of work.
.. or maybe two afternoons. perhaps.

eLhabib
27th July 2005, 11:15 AM
some people got a LIFE, too, remember? :wink:

Drakkenmensch
27th July 2005, 12:16 PM
Li...fe? What is this "life" you speak of, and where can I acquire one of my own? :wink:

Lance
27th July 2005, 12:25 PM
i had one for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon; i read a book. [gasp!]

Dogg Thang
27th July 2005, 12:36 PM
I'm getting one in October. Looking forward to it.

G'Kyl
27th July 2005, 07:17 PM
good luck with phantom TT on sebenco peak and the 'citta using piranha/triakis! No way I could do it, but maybe you can!

Funny that - I found the tracks you mention rather easy to complete. The only thing was that I had HUGE problems completing Sebenco Peak at Rapier. I then switched to Phantom and came in with six seconds to spare on the gold medal time! Some strange balancing there. ;) Anyway, where I almost gave up was Phantom Exostra Run. I just COULDN'T manage to get gold whatever I tried before finally getting it done after what felt like a thousand tries.

Ben

eLhabib
27th July 2005, 11:18 PM
now that you mention it - you're right, rapier TT golds are a lot harder than phantom ones. So I will wish him good luck for those in addition! :D

Megatron42
26th August 2005, 07:05 PM
You're insane. Why don't you spend that time repainting the houses of everyone you know?

element42
26th August 2005, 07:32 PM
what's so rewarding about physical labour and a lasting physical monument? :wink:
what we really want is abstract gains and a legacy that can be accidentally erased... oh, and sore fingers.

Megatron42
26th August 2005, 07:34 PM
Damn the accidental erasures!! Suddenly got nightmarish flashbacks of losing my gamecube memory card with my fully-completed F-Zero GX data on it!

element42
26th August 2005, 07:52 PM
while we're on the subject...
damn the lack of auto-save on PS1 wipeouts! :evil: i've lost count of the number of times I've set a personal record and promptly switched the console off before saving. Well, the number isn't actually too big, but it's not like I keep a record book of my inadequacies or something (although my wife might :wink: let me check...)