PDA

View Full Version : purE (gold medal) ratings

Purist
19th July 2005, 11:22 AM
Just saw something quite cool today and it kinda got me thinkin' :idea:

I happened to notice that emsef had inserted his 'rating' next to his location... :D personally, I think that's a great idea and hopfully everyone could follow in suit. Saves people asking each other etc. and you can see at a glance how 'talented' any one player is.... although, dunno if they'd be any issues with rules/regulations of the room... mods? - help?

eLhabib
19th July 2005, 11:37 AM
actually, i think it's just showing off :P furthermore, the number of golds doesn't necessarily show how talented you are, it just shows how much time and effort you have put into the game so far...

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 11:38 AM
Too true bro.

Purist
19th July 2005, 02:55 PM
actually, i think it's just showing off :P furthermore, the number of golds doesn't necessarily show how talented you are, it just shows how much time and effort you have put into the game so far...

It does REALLY though... :D

c'monnnnnnnn put you medals in!!!

OK, let's say it's a voluntary thing then... still like it though! :wink:

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 03:00 PM
I suppose its not a bad idea, but what about all the new players to Pure? They might be intimidated by this, and also I think it might lead to elitism, something that has destroyed so many good forums in the past. I hate to see the zone become elitist. :(

wirehang
19th July 2005, 04:05 PM
To be honest I only put mine on there as a way to let those few of you who are interested of other peoples progress keep track of it. I started this forum when I was <100 and am slowly creeping up to max. I got five gold last night slept in this morning because of it! :oops:

Not showing off, just proud :). I do like the idea though ;)

matt

lunar
19th July 2005, 04:11 PM
I think its fun - and should only serve to motivate those with less medals to pick up the game and get more. We shouldn`t worry about it too much imo..... :D

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 04:13 PM
you never know, if its possible to write a script for it when the new boards come into effect, foxx might implement a medals feature into peoples personal profiles.
Just a thought, if thats what you want? :)

On a side note: I've just gone from Senior to Phantom Pilot :)

Shem
19th July 2005, 04:36 PM
What about those who hadn't played Pure yet?

(can i type in my Porto Kora TT NTSC W3OSE Phantom Laptime?... :roll: )

:lol:

Sausehuhn
19th July 2005, 04:42 PM
lol
NTSC WO3:SE :lol:

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 04:52 PM
Am I correct in saying 'Does that even exist?' :?

syckls
19th July 2005, 04:52 PM
Hey, if this board were going to become elitist, post count would already have done so. By the way...

194 gold medals SUCK IT *****ES! (Just kidding....)

Shem
19th July 2005, 04:56 PM
aaaaaaaaa
LOLOLOL :lol:

Did i write that? I guess i was too busy thinking (whilst writing) which was my best record so far....(W3O? W3O SE?)
AND THERE YOU GO!

Wip3out Special Edition NTSC - At least i made some US guys here happy (untill Sausehuhun killed their illusions)

Sausehuhn
19th July 2005, 05:09 PM
untill Sausehuhun killed their illusions
I'm sorry for that ;)

Purist
19th July 2005, 05:40 PM
This is being taken far too seriously! lol 8O :D 8O :D

but what about all the new players to Pure? They might be intimidated by this

Awwww poor babies! Lol.. if they find this intimidating, they’d probably find stepping out of the door intimidating surley? – it’s just a game, meant to be FUN but if you’ve achieved something or got a high score why not display it?!?!

Why does this perplex you so? They should have bought it ages ago!!! – if they havn’t they’re obviously not real fans! lol and I’m sure a Euro thread will be set up, in fact there is a ‘those who havn’t played yet’

Not showing off, just proud :). I do like the idea though ;)…

Yea man!!! Say it loud and proud!!! You should be and not ade to feel bad, it takes a lot of hard work, sweat and time - and thanks… 

I think its fun - and should only serve to motivate those with less medals to pick up the game and get more. We shouldn`t worry about it too much imo..... :D

Exactly my point! Just for fun and as a guide… don’t take it too seriously people!!!

What about em’?

So, conclusion?... get adding that rank to your destination? – you know you want to!

Lance
19th July 2005, 05:53 PM
i wouldn't think that the medal count would be as intimidating as looking at the the WZ records tables already is

Sausehuhn
19th July 2005, 06:24 PM
They should have bought it ages ago!!! – if they havn’t they’re obviously not real fans!
...or they just haven't enough money... :roll:

eLhabib
19th July 2005, 06:27 PM
in case you want to know my gold status, it's 194. But I refuse to add that to my profile and show it off. I don't want to rub it in anyone's face. Btw, I still think this does NOT show how talented one is, just shows how much time you have put into getting all golds - eventually, everyone with enough time on their hands can get those golds. Those who played me in a linked game (or on kai) would be the only ones to know how 'talented' I am.

And I do think that putting the gold status in your profile CAN indeed scare off newies to the boards, because they might THINK that these boards are elitist, even though they clearly aren't.

Shem
19th July 2005, 06:43 PM
Wow, 1 more '!' mark, and my eyes will pop out.

Purist:
Do you consider EVERY Wipeout fan a maniac who'd sell their soul to the devil himself just to play Pure? If so, well, come down to Earth and rethink this. Belive me, there are people who are fans (like myself), dedicated fans with passion, who just cannot afford themselves a PSP, because they live in a country that does not give you the opportunity to easily get a hold of such toys like PSP. I feel offended (yadda yadda yadda), by your talk of "you ain't got Pure yet? = you're not a fan!", because i cannot afford myself a PSP and no matter how i just cannot. There are things in life that come first, and that's eating, home, ppl you care about, then your personal needs. And it's all expensive, sometimes too expensive. Sure, since it's all FUN, not everyone has to have their medal rank by their forum name, i can live with that, as well as anyone else who's in my position (i guess). But before you start talking like that, think again.

And apart that - is it really necessary to put your medal rank if eventually, everyone who wants, will collect them all? It provokes some kind of a race, like 'gotta catch 'em all before you do'. Short-termed - OK. (maybe it should be in the 'Arena' section [or maybe it already is, since i don't follow Pure challenge's]). Long-termed it makes no sense, because no 1 would care about this, just like now no one cares if you've got all the golds in W3OSE. I dunno, but all this reminds me of collecting some pokemon cards, and just showing off, especially with that kind of encouraging talk. yay, let's do the gold medal collecting thingie! sorry for my talk, but simply i don't give a rat's ass.

Lance
19th July 2005, 06:48 PM
+1

Rouni Kenshin#1
19th July 2005, 11:15 PM
great idea purist 8)

wirehang
19th July 2005, 11:24 PM
OK, if not medal number how about percentage complete? Or even percentage remaining to complete? ;)

matt

Purist
20th July 2005, 07:26 AM
great idea purist 8)

Shem:

Glad you like those !!!'s a few points I'd like to address....
- "you ain't got Pure yet? = you're not a fan!", was a lighthearted comment and should really be viewed as such, some people are simply waiting for the Euro release, some ppl ain't got the cash... either way, chilllll out! :roll:
- "You simply don't give a rats ass", hey that's fine too, as I said, some ppl will like it, some won't... I do

anyway... anyone wondered where those Delta packs are huh? surely we should have heard something by now? :cry:

skipper
20th July 2005, 09:46 AM
I'm with Shem and Lance.
Save your bragging for the appropriate threads, and the Arena.

wirehang
20th July 2005, 09:52 AM
t's not bragging it's simply a bookmark of how far we are through the game

matt

Purist
20th July 2005, 11:19 AM
Purist's not bragging it's simply a bookmark of how far we are through the game

matt

Ditto...

Maybe they're just jealous? *ducks for cover* lol (of the amount of medals! not weather have game or not)

JUST KIDDING!

Shem
20th July 2005, 05:56 PM
ok, well, i don't belive that the status is there for anyone else than for the person who puts it. call it being proud, showing off, whatever, for me it's a rather childish form of competing, especially if you have the records tables, The Arena section to compete in, because no one will convince that what you do is not competing and not getting everyone jealous. But of course if thats what you want, i won't make you stop doing it, it's a free world, everyone in can do whatever then want, and everyone in doesn't give a **** about it too. that's life. who cares? :wink:

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th July 2005, 06:03 PM
yeah but the record tables arn't up yet are they. :?

Shem
20th July 2005, 07:15 PM
yeah, but there will be, and till then it's the Arena.

Purist
20th July 2005, 09:16 PM
...OR in your location

oh and welcome to the club Rouni Kenshin#1 :D

Shem
20th July 2005, 09:44 PM
is that a 'super-dooper-club' or just plain 'super-secret-club' ? :lol:

Purist
20th July 2005, 10:12 PM
A little of both? or... the SUPERIOR club... yea, I like the sound of that one :D

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th July 2005, 11:13 PM
man it's not like i'm that new or anything? :?

Lance
20th July 2005, 11:50 PM
t's not bragging it's simply a bookmark of how far we are through the game

matt

bookmarks are generally done in one's own private book, not in public. there is a different motivation at work in publishing one's results.

this whole idea is turning out to be very childish, in my not always humble opinion.

play WOP and get a continually advancing completion number, post it in your public profile and you are automatically a member of a highly non-exclusive club? and then you spend part of your time over the course of several days to talk about this? in my opinion, that is just silly. surely there are more interesting things to do with your energy and time, such as actually racing and developing record-breaking piloting skill, or becoming a more complete human being by learning more about history or technology or basic science or philosophy or literature. or something more interesting than concerning yourselves with a number that doesn't directly relate to skill. let's see you lot run a challenge in ''The Arena'' to find out who really has the skills, or racing each other on the more or less convenient PSP wi-fi just for some real-time fun and/or ego satisfaction [which is what this whole topic now seems to be about].

Drakkenmensch
21st July 2005, 12:47 AM
Agreed. One can spend all his time earning every single medal in Vector, Venom and Flash, yet he will not be a better pilot than the guy who recently lost his savefile and decided to start a new one by doing a little races as possible to unlock Phantom class. Alpha, Beta, Ascension, unlock Venom, lather rinse repeat. Short and to the point. Fewer medals, but a lot more scary to face in multiplayer!!!

djlucite
21st July 2005, 04:05 AM
Well here... :P

34 Medals. What now?! hahaha...

I don't play tourney much. It's all about xlink or multiplayer ^_^

One can spend all his time earning every single medal in Vector, Venom and Flash, yet he will not be a better pilot than the guy who recently lost his savefile and decided to start a new one by doing a little races as possible to unlock Phantom class. Alpha, Beta, Ascension, unlock Venom, lather rinse repeat. Short and to the point.

Exactly what I did...minus the loss of save file.

I can't stand any of the lower speed classes..Phantom's fun as hell just for the whole bloodrush factor, and Rapier's fast enough too.

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 07:22 AM
D'accord. I went straight through reaching Phantom and I was happy. And I did Zone within 2 days to get the Zone ship - and I didn't try that again since then. Now I'm doing TT just to complete all gold. But nothing compares to RACING
:rock_on :rock_on :rock_on

Shem
21st July 2005, 07:23 AM
bookmarks are generally done in one's own private book, not in public. there is a different motivation at work in publishing one's results.

this whole idea is turning out to be very childish, in my not always humble opinion.

play WOP and get a continually advancing completion number, post it in your public profile and you are automatically a member of a highly non-exclusive club? and then you spend part of your time over the course of several days to talk about this? in my opinion, that is just silly.

Not only in your opinion my friend. This would be considered silly if applied to any other game, It's all about one's EGO indeed. Just a childish form of competition. The thing is that those who are against don't form a club of any kind, whereas Purist would like everyone to join his. I just wish that he, caught the irony of :

Shem:
is that a 'super-dooper-club' or just plain 'super-secret-club' ?

Purist:
A little of both? or... the SUPERIOR club... yea, I like the sound of that one

talking about ego...

Purist
21st July 2005, 07:28 AM
Talk about the con concept of sarcasim? - JEEZ chill out :wink:

For someone who couldn't give a rats ass about this thread you continue to post quite regulary. :roll:

Shem
21st July 2005, 07:35 AM
because some of you continue to think that it's a good idea, and i continue to think that it's not. i'm an active member of WZ for almost 2 years, i do post regularly.

Dogg Thang
21st July 2005, 07:50 AM
Folks, this is getting a little tense and it's not really getting anywhere in terms of discussion as the same points are being repeated since early on the first page. Purist, I think you'll have to allow some people to disagree with you here and let it go. Those who want to exhibit their medal count will and those who don't won't and let's leave it at that, eh?

Being totally honest I don't think it's a good idea either as I'd be worried about elitism and people's opinions not being valued simply because they have fewer medals but that's just my personal opinion.

If anyone has anything new to add to this discussion, feel free (I clearly didn't!) but it'll have to be locked if it goes around the same circles it is currently going in.

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 08:55 AM
If one buys us-, jap- and euro version he could add the gold and start a new super-super-club
:wink:

Those who want to exhibit their medal count will and those who don't won't
I think that's it. Post the number if you feel better then.

wirehang
21st July 2005, 09:29 AM
Speaking of Zone, I'm interested to know how long it took for you to complete all four zones. This time is shown in your profile/stats screen.

matt

Shem
21st July 2005, 09:29 AM
yeah i too think that the further we go with this 'discussion' the more repetitive it can only be. leading to nowhere eventually. agreed 100% Dogg Thang.

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 09:37 AM
Speaking of Zone, I'm interested to know how long it took for you to complete all four zones. This time is shown in your profile/stats screen.

matt

I tried zone when had the psp brand new and didn't like it compared to the racing tourneys. Later (after reaching phantom, that was the thing I had to do as fast as I could) I wanted the Zone craft and was 2 times in the zone: 3:29 h

Purist
21st July 2005, 09:40 AM
Those who want to exhibit their medal count will and those who don't won't and let's leave it at that, eh?

Hey, that's all I was saying :D and I too agree, here endith the childish rant :lol:

Speaking of ZONE, I wonder if we'll get any NEW zone tracks???

wirehang
21st July 2005, 09:42 AM

matt

I tried zone when had the psp brand new and didn't like it compared to the racing tourneys. Later (after reaching phantom, that was the thing I had to do as fast as I could) I wanted the Zone craft and was 2 times in the zone: 3:29 h
Interesting, I'll start a seperate thread.

matt

syckls
21st July 2005, 04:50 PM
I hope mine will be the last opinion on this, and I realize I'm a little late, but I wish to say something anyway. There's no point in fearing elitism in what someone does unless they actually demonstrate elitism in their words. In its best-case scenario, users higher up on the medal count would actually be helping those lower down. Of course, in its oft-referred to worst case scenario, users with lower counts would feel uneasy about the high-medal count of other users, who would then proceed to deride the low-medal ones (although, in this case users with low counts would probably opt not to put a count on their profile at all). I believe that they don't mean any harm, especially since they have already said so themselves. And if it turns out that one of them does mean harm, well, we won't need a moderator to enforce authority.

wirehang
21st July 2005, 04:56 PM
Well said

Purist
21st July 2005, 05:40 PM
Bravo

Dogg Thang
21st July 2005, 07:09 PM
Syckls, by assuming that people with fewer medals need help you have only confirmed my fears on this. I have every available medal in two versions - close to 400 medals - and that doesn't mean in any shape or form that I'd be able to help anyone. Many (if not most) players here would be better than me in spite of my medal count. If people need help, they can ask for it and anyone (regardless of their medal count credentials) can answer.

So your best case scenario enforces the elitist view that more medals=better player. Exactly what some of us don't want. If that is your best case scenario then I don't really need to venture beyond that.

Drakkenmensch
21st July 2005, 07:15 PM
While it would be nice to know that more experienced players are willing to help the more novice ones, we should be careful that this help is actually *requested* by them. We don't want people getting flooded by unwanted tips they may already know, it would be rather condescending to just *assume* that they want other people's help like that.

infoxicated
21st July 2005, 08:19 PM
Willy wavers, stalkers and ascii art aficionados alike can now find all the must know information about another member/show off their own prowess at collecting medals/ascii art by viewing the appropriate profile.

Shem
21st July 2005, 08:21 PM
yes, especially that we're talking about a game that is designed the way it shouldn't cause any problems for a person to complete it 100%. Thus the level of competing in 'gold medal' terms ends on avarage really. Giving tips at this level is a non-sense, because you can surely get past any difficulties on your own (would Pure developers design a game that needs special guidance to complete it? i don't think so). Giving these advice means giving obvious tips. The real competition demanding some real piloting tips starts when you don't race for a gold medal, but when your skills are improved way beyond the point of obtaining a gold medal in a race, that is Time Trial, multiplayer...

Edit/PS:
And i guess this is where the discussion ends Fox (of course i'm wrong at this point...)

Lance
21st July 2005, 08:50 PM
they can discuss it all they want, i suppose, but now, as the chief admin/site owner intimated a couple of posts back, because the childish idiocy was carried too far, there is no longer a 'location' line under the username that can be modified to show medal counts or anything else. in like wise, the post count line has also been removed so that egomaniacs will remain untempted to post just for the purpose of increasing their count.

[sarcasm alert] oh, golly, how shall i ever live without the prominence and prestige given me by my post count? sigh. the tragedy. the tragedy. {faints, having been overcome with 'the vapuhs'}.[end sarcasm]

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 09:00 PM
heh, good step in the right direction that is, Lance. I was wondering what purpose the post count had, anyway (except for making some people with high post counts feel like they had 'more authority' on the boards).

Way to go, WipEoutZone! :clap

Sumimasen
21st July 2005, 09:01 PM
It's a shame it's come to this.

The post count was irrelevant to me, but it was kinda cool to know where everyone was from. Kinda like playing International Xbox Live, but WAY more friendly, or my early days playing Quake III online with my old G3 Mac, and getting hints from a guy at iD by in-game text!

Sad thing is, I could see this coming three pages back... :roll: ...but I agree with the moderators stance on this. Just a shame...

Purist
21st July 2005, 09:01 PM
Freedom of speech prevails then! :roll:

Yea, that post count was kinda pointless but the location thingy was kinda nice *ducks for cover*

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 09:05 PM
I find it interesting to see where people come from. It's pretty international here.
You could forbid or remove the medal count. The location is an interesting point.
:(

infoxicated
21st July 2005, 09:08 PM
Then click on someones profile to find out.

I was fine with the medals thing - willy waving as it was. Then Purist had to take it too far... as someone always does. That's the reason we don't allow custom avatars or signatures here; there are people who just flaunt the rules.

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 09:12 PM
It's a pity, really. I find the location attractive - it's a shot of colour on the site.
Medal or post counts are not really interesting, location is.

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 09:18 PM
...maybe we could add a little flag thingy to select from? fox? *dodging flying shoe, accompanied by fox's yell 'YOU THINK I'M BORED OR SOMETHING?!'*

Lance
21st July 2005, 09:21 PM
Purist said: ''Freedom of speech prevails then! ''
the sarcasm is noted, but consider this: the WipeoutZone is a privately owned and administered site. you do not own it; you do not even pay membership dues. it is not a country; there are no citizens with a constitutional right to vote. the rules are made and administered by the private owner. if you want to make the rules so that any jerk-off can be as much of an ego-masturbating prick as he wants, go pay for your own site, and make the rules whatever you want them to be. that would be your right. it isn't your right here. it would be good for the rest of us and even for you if you recognised these realities and dealt with them in a mature way.

-----------

phoenixx and el habib, i agree with both of you

Purist
21st July 2005, 09:35 PM
'the WipeoutZone is a privately owned and administered site. you do not own it; you do not even pay membership dues. it is not a country; there are no citizens with a constitutional right to vote. the rules are made and administered by the private owner.'

- Duely noted, respected and obvious

.'if you want to make the rules'

- I certainly don't, I think 80% of the mods do a great job and did I ever say that? -errr no

.'any jerk-off can be as much of an ego-masturbating prick as he wants'

- Colourful language, insulting and not very mature (i'm sure this breaks one of the forum rules in itself, especially for a Mod? - as far as I know, you don't know me, I don't know you so please remove them :evil: )

QUOTE RULE 3: Always show respect for existing members - we all have one thing in common regardless of other differences.

.'these realities are dealt with in a mature way.'

- They are, it was JUST a suggestion... christ!

Please? can we just (polite request Rob) knock this thread on the head now as it's gone waaaaaaay behind my original friendly suggestion/intention - not to mention being just a lil peeved at this 'Lance' character. Can we all just learn to live in harmony :D In addition, by all means, if any fellow members wish to express any finer opions... pm me or MSN add me cause I'm sure people are sick of the bitching around like a couple of women *ducks* when we could be talking about ANTI GRAVITY FLYING!!! 8)

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 09:52 PM
...this 'Lance' character...

you're not making friends here. I respect Lance, not for his position on the boards, but for what he adds to them. So do many others here. Please rethink your tone, we got your point anyway.

Drakkenmensch
21st July 2005, 10:06 PM
Purist, you may want to stop arguing with the mods now.

Arguing with mods over the contents of the forums is like trying to explain to your drill sergeant why he should rethink giving you push-ups. He'll just keep on adding MORE until you buck up and do them.

Purist
21st July 2005, 10:15 PM
Duly noted Drakkenmensch and nice analogy :)

Freinds (and 5th ammendment supporters) thanks for the support (you know who you are)

Let's play nice now kids :wink:

syckls
21st July 2005, 10:20 PM
Syckls, by assuming that people with fewer medals need help you have only confirmed my fears on this. I have every available medal in two versions - close to 400 medals - and that doesn't mean in any shape or form that I'd be able to help anyone. Many (if not most) players here would be better than me in spite of my medal count. If people need help, they can ask for it and anyone (regardless of their medal count credentials) can answer.

Never did I say that people with fewer medals needed help. I never even assumed that they did! I will give that the medal count is unnecessary for such help, but what if they are aiming to get medals? Surely someone who has already gotten those medals could help them out!

So your best case scenario enforces the elitist view that more medals=better player. Exactly what some of us don't want. If that is your best case scenario then I don't really need to venture beyond that.

That was not the point of my message. The point of my message was that elitism should only be a concern if people are actively showing elitism in their words. I am afraid that you believe me to be taking sides with people you believe to be elitists. I am not. I am attempting to bring a resolution to this stupid problem which has bitterly divided this board that for long since has been praised as one of the nicest and most intelligent on the web. That is why I see myself looking at Lance's harsh actions of late and literally crying over them.

EDIT: Thank you for your response, Lance. The words previously here serve no further purpose.

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 10:24 PM
@ Purist:
you say you wanna play nice, but it seems your emphasis is on 'play' - you are calling everyone sharing your views your 'friends', means that you are hinting that everyone who stood against your views on this particular question is not your friend?

think about it.
I will stop posting in this particular thread now, suit yourself.

(and yes, I still respect and sympathise you, even though I don't share your views here)

Lance
21st July 2005, 10:31 PM
Purist/Kevin, there was nothing polite about your sarcastic 'freedom of speech' remark. your calls for politeness in posting call for a standard that your own posts do not meet. i think that your most recent post is hypocritical, self-serving, and intended to misdirect in order to deflect any blame from yourself.

btw, i was not the one to actually eliminate the location and post count lines; however i do agree with the action, even though i would like to see some sort of in-the-post indication of location. the loss of those lines is certainly not an elimination of freedom of speech.

you still have and are still exercising freedom of speech in your comments.

[a note: you didn't get the last quote quite right, only a minor error, but unless it is accurate, it shouldn't be implied that it is an exact quote]

i see that you assumed correctly that the jerk-off comment applied to you. it is sometimes unavoidable that an 'accurate' [in my view] description will sound insulting. several of your posts indicate to me that my description is accurate, but certainly the accuracy of it is to be taken as my own opinion, not an absolute truth. but you perhaps can see how i might be led to this opinion by such things as the ''club superior' comment.

syckls, i did not block the location and post count lines, though i agree with the decision to do so. i do not have the technical expertise to do it, nor do i have the authority to do it.

you have thus far shown considerable maturity for your age, syckls, and i generally respect your opinion, but i do not agree with your position here. the site belongs to infoxicated, he pays for it, he does the work to maintain it. it is his, and he can and should make the site conform to his vision.

as for respect, i tend to have respect for those who respect others; in my admittedly limited experience of Purist, he is not a respecter. as for my own ''insult'', i believe it to be truth; whether a truth or an outright assertion is an insult depends on other factors than it's truth or lack thereof, such as whether the statement is perceived by one or more parties to be negative, as it is certainly generally held to be in this case. that being so, when should i hold back on saying what i believe to be truth? i will sometimes say something negative which i believe, but generally only when reacting to someone who is himself behaving badly, and i retaliate with a negative comment. should i always hold back a believed-to-be-true opinion about someone? should i go ahead and say it in an attempt to show a person how they are being perceived rather than let them continue in their own delusions? what would you do when confronted by someone who has consistently shown himself to be, in your opinion, thoughtless and self-centered?

Purist
21st July 2005, 10:44 PM
@ Purist:"]
you say you wanna play nice, but it seems your emphasis is on 'play' - you are calling everyone sharing your views your 'friends', means that you are hinting that everyone who stood against your views on this particular question is not your friend?

Like the 'superior club' comment (which some clearly didn't get), I was just kidding el habib :roll: I guess it's down to text, there is just no way of conveying in what tone something is said huh?

el, with the exception of one I have found everyone here to be intelligent, knowledgeable, respectful and witty and can only hope that my fellow purE brothers (at least one! :lol: ) feel the same about me (not sarcasim). Each person is entitled to their own opinions/ideas/thoughts and I expressed mine (for the love of god why!? :cry: ), it just got a little out of hand and was not helped when more fuel was poured onto the flame.

I too will now stop posting on this thread now, talk about a mountain out of a mole hill 8O

let it die a fast death... pleeeeeeease?

syckls
21st July 2005, 10:57 PM
syckls, i did not block the location and post count lines, though i agree with the decision to do so. i do not have the technical expertise to do it, nor do i have the authority to do it.

you have thus far shown considerable maturity for your age, syckls, and i generally respect your opinion, but i do not agree with your position here. the site belongs to infoxicated, he pays for it, he does the work to maintain it. it is his, and he can and should make the site conform to his vision

You still do not understand what I am trying to say. I did not support the idea of medal counts so much as I did not have any problem with it. In the same way, I understand where infoxicated is coming from. While I do not believe such fears are necesssary, they are legitimate and should be respected. The whole thing was blown out of proportion, and I'm glad it's over. Were I in a more hostile mood, I would think your use of a compliment was simply to stop one more person from arguing (what can I say, I'm a conspiracy theorist born :) ). However, we've all suffered a lot to get this over with. I will accept your compliment as what I was looking for.

Lance
21st July 2005, 11:27 PM
syckls, the compliment was not intended as a palliative, either simple or complex. and now that i think of it, it is another example of when-should-i-hold-back versus when-should-i-say-something. in this instance, what i believe to be a truth is perceived positively while the other comment which i believe to be a truth is perceived negatively. at my advanced age, i have come to prefer outright statement to holding-back. it clears the air, eventually ;) , whereas no amount of tactful holding-back will ever [in my opinion of course] result in a resolved situation. i prefer to have facts, including facts about what one's opinion really is, out in the open. this tends not to go down well in a society of political correctness and artificial manners. yet i think that it is ultimately the healthiest way of proceeding in social interaction. but i suspect that i will never see a society in which the majority of people will act this way; our human egos are too sensitive to get into the habit of looking at themselves with honesty. hell, i avoid looking in mirrors, not to avoid seeing hypocrisy, as some might suspect in the context of this current thread, but because i can't bear seeing how old and ugly i have become. that all too obvious age reminds me that i will die, whether sooner or later, and i do not want to leave this highly interesting life, so i seek to avoid truth by not looking. it is a remaining weakness in my character. perhaps one of several, but certainly the most obvious to me.

phoenixx
21st July 2005, 11:40 PM
I think you were a bit too hard today. Now I'm impressed by your open mind - one more time. My deep respect.

infoxicated
21st July 2005, 11:43 PM
Stick a fork in this one, it's done. :|