PDA

View Full Version : the Book with capital B

Mator
30th March 2002, 07:42 PM
yes , I know thats Wipeout forum bla bla bla , but I was wondering..
why nobody has filmed a Pratchett's book already ?!?!(I'm writing here , coz we, Wipeouters are smart people i think, and we read books , dont we?)

a:Yes , I know who is Terry Pratchett go on!
b:btw , who is Terry Pratchett?

A tupe:fine!
B Tupe:Man, first the hard thing - go find someone who dont likes Terry Pratchett. then read MORT, SMALL GODS or sth else.And third, kill the man who says "Pratchett is not a good "

ps:I have the same quiestion for Douglas Adams. :-?

Lance
30th March 2002, 07:51 PM
~
hitchhiker's guide has been done as a television miniseries, though not in movies.
^

Task
2nd April 2002, 05:56 AM
The TV series for Hitchhiker was good, it was similar to the radio show.
Many of the PTerry books have been done. They were animated. I've got Mort on tape, and I know there were others. There was a theatrical version of Witches that I somehow missed. I think a couple of his books have been optioned for some kind of televised release, but I can't remember the details beyond "nothing happening yet".

satriani
4th April 2002, 11:12 AM
The option on Hitchikers Guide had been taken up just prior to Adams death and the film was allegedly in pre production, but I've heard nothing since. As for Pratchett interest has always been high in optioning his books but I think the man himself has issues with the screenplay process, and who would get involved, whether his views have changed I don't know.

Lance
4th April 2002, 07:48 PM
my first contact with 'the guide' was by reading the book. i was amazed and amused to find out that it originated on radio. i didn't yet know about Adam's stint as a script supervisor/writer on one season of Doctor Who, either. [the Pirate Planet, i love it!]

i think that Hitchhiker's Guide stands up there with Alice in Wonderland as one of the greatest classics of the imagination

Mator
5th April 2002, 10:26 PM
I found out that a DVD with the TV series of the guide was released . Finnaly iiI have opportunity to watch them!!!My 1st contact with that (the words are so weak... to explain the feelings... )"book" was when I was 13 .The next year I read it again , but i understood it different . maybe if read it today , Il catch the all sence ......

Hydra XL
6th April 2002, 12:52 AM
uh, palahniuk is my author of choice... don't know if many can stomache his style tho

Mator
2nd March 2003, 12:16 PM
Wohooooo! NICE !!! I bought "survivor" month ago ! Incredible ! when I got home , i immediately started reading it , and read it for something like 8 hours(with breaks to go to the toilet :P :P :P )

Damon
3rd March 2003, 11:00 AM
The TV series of 'Hitch Hikers Guide...' is very poor compared to the incredible radio series (in my opinion). The original was pure radio, and the attempt to make it visual imposed far too many limitations. I fear that any feature film version would suffer in the same way, though I'm sure that the vastly bigger budget and current technical capabilities would probably offset this a bit.

The good news is that the radio series is easily available on CD - just check out Amazon or your CD dealer of choice. :P

Lance
3rd March 2003, 04:18 PM
i experienced both the television and radio versions back in the 80s. i thought the television one held up very well in comparison. i admit that i saw it on television first, so that may have influenced my opinion since i tend to remember most fondly the first experience of a phenomenon
[and if there's anything that's a phenomenon, H2G2 is it :) ]

damon, i saw that tongue. wipeoutzone needs a grEEn tongue-sticker-outer smiley

Myke_AG_Sys™
3rd March 2003, 09:38 PM
If my memory serves me well there was a younger person's novel by Pratchett called Johnny And The Bomb...... it was made into a TV series shown on BBC1 many, many moons ago....

Damon
4th March 2003, 08:34 AM
i experienced both the television and radio versions back in the 80s. i thought the television one held up very well in comparison. i admit that i saw it on television first, so that may have influenced my opinion since i tend to remember most fondly the first experience of a phenomenon
[and if there's anything that's a phenomenon, H2G2 is it :) ]

damon, i saw that tongue. wipeoutzone needs a grEEn tongue-sticker-outer smiley

Yeah, I probably overstated things a little when I said the TV version was 'very poor' - it was pretty entertaining. But having had my mind stretched by the radio version, and having created so many vivid internal mind pictures of my own, the TV show just seemed awfully clunky in comparison.

And I didn't mean anything untoward with that tongue Lance - I just grabbed an icon to indicate my jolly demeanour and behold, it was a tonguey! :D

Lance
4th March 2003, 05:08 PM
heh. i was not in anyway criticising the razz smiley nor castigating your demeanour :P
i was just taking note to say we ought to have one of those crazy tongue-flapping green faceheads-with-legs-and-arms like the one that appears on the dustjacket of the very first H2G2.

''Groop, i implore thee, my turling palindromes..''

Spaceboy Gajo
7th March 2003, 05:49 PM
I believe Lance you were looking for this (http://www.g-rasic.com/images/GREENGUY.GIF)?

All be it a better version.

spaceboy gajo :D

Lance
7th March 2003, 09:52 PM
:o what happened to the tip of its tongue?

that's okay though; i can fix it in post ;)
thanks

Spaceboy Gajo
8th March 2003, 02:31 PM
Is it supposed to be longer?

I don't rememeber exactly how the tongue looked like from dust jacket.

I just know that this has been sitting on my hard drive for a very long time. Thought I'd drop you a link for you.

spaceboy gajo :D