PDA

View Full Version : The small tweaks, menus, selections etc...

Dogg Thang
17th July 2005, 02:53 PM
Far removed from the grand ideas of what stunning new features a new WO game should have, what little tweaks do you think would add to the game? How about the menu systems? The load systems etc?

I reckon that an autoload feature would be a real help to get into the game quicker. It's a small thing but I like to be able to get into the game as quick as possible.

I would also love to see a music track selection method at the start of the race, maybe similar to how Ridge Racers on PSP handles it. Sometimes I just want to race with a particular track and so I have to go into the settings and turn all of the others off. An 'on the fly' music selection would be great.

Custom tournaments - These were a nice addition to Fusion that didn't make the cut in Pure. I think once you have got Gold in the defined tournaments, a custom tournament option would be great. Or possibly, again like RR, a timed tournament where the game could generate a tournament based on the time you'd like to spend racing?

So what do you think? What small tweaks would you make? Are there better ways of setting up a race? Going through ship and track selection? Would it make life easier if you could select a ship and the game would remember that as your ship of choice until you went in and told it otherwise? Anything else?

eLhabib
17th July 2005, 03:41 PM
A custom tournament option would be great! Seeing as the next w'o'' HAS TO BE online, it gets kind of boring doing the available 4 or 5 tournaments over and over again. I noticed this when playing purE on xlink, you really just have a choice between alpha, beta, classic, and gamma tournament, ascension and descension are way to long. So it does get kinda repetitive sometimes.

Drakkenmensch
17th July 2005, 05:26 PM
Being able to change the number of laps might also be interesting - a 6-10 laps ironman race might be quite interesting ;)

Sausehuhn
17th July 2005, 09:02 PM
- No autoload, I liked the way it was made in Fusion. The problem with autoload is, that you just can have one save on a single memory card - look at Wip3out.

- custom leagues. And please, please MORE than just 7 races.

- Yeah, changing the number of laps after you won a race with gold. For example: every race on Phantom has 5 laps. You won the race with gold and now you can decide how many laps you want to race - but just on that track!

- Weather changing - selectable in the menue. So no randoom weather. But still it has to fit the whole atmosphere of the track.

- no boring background music in the menue. I would like to have an option to turn some tracks on/off just for the menue.

- In the menue you should have the chance to look at the ship from all perspectives. I want to see all sides of the craft! maybe also a zoom for seeing details :)

- the laughing of the person when you didn't get a super start. (The one you've heard in Fusion and in 2097 if I'm right - maybe also in all other WipEouts...)

- different trail colors - one color for all ships is way to boring and also does not fit the style of each team.

- A screen that displays the READY - GO! (or better the 3 - 2 - 1 - GO!), not this thing we saw in Pure.

- background history in the game - not only at the offical website

- skins for the menue - like in Pure

- birds at the track (like in Wip3out Porto Kora)

- maybe acting pilots?

- different colord tracks - I mean the track itself. In Pure they took one "road-design" for all tracks (If I'm right). I like it the way they made it in Fusion - every track had a different road-design.

- maybe the teleporter instead of the respawn thing.

- (I'm not sure here) in every WipEout the sfx-sound is louder that the music-sound - even when they're at the same level. I hate that! Please change it!!!
___

That was it! I'm sure there are thousends of other little things (ok, maybe not 1000) that can be added. But these are the ones I would like to see at the moment.

Space Cowboy
17th July 2005, 09:07 PM
A great selection.

Also I would like to see:

Ambient menu music (in the vein of the Fusion webiste) instead of funky beats, etc.

Some FMV sequence would be nice. I always found the Intro FMV's to the wipout games left me wanting more. I know they dont really add to the game, but they are a nice audio/visual treat.

Retro ships.... I cant emphasise this enough :)

More content from Tim W... I just cant get enough of his music, it has WO written all over it :)

A replay, or movie mode would be nice. Imagine playing back your favourite races to your firends and community with custom camera angles and directorial effects (ala BF2). I always missed the after race camera that follows the ship round the track when you finish in 2097.

Drakkenmensch
17th July 2005, 10:48 PM
Sausehuhn - there ARE some birds on the Ubermall track ;)

eLhabib
18th July 2005, 12:25 AM
I was just gonna say that :D

oh and sausehuhn, what do you mean with 'tle laughing when you didn't get a super start'? I never heard of that...

Lance
18th July 2005, 12:51 AM
i never hear the laughing on the XL version of 2097. regional difference? ;)
i thought i heard it once, but that was just my inner-child's evil twin. bastard.

i like the idea of custom tournaments.
and the one about being able to control the view of the ship in the selection screen. it would be nice to be able to control the 'camera' to look from directly overhead of the ship or any angle whatever

Space Cowboy
18th July 2005, 06:43 AM
I have to admit I've never heard the laughing either... hmm... thats very strange, are you sure its just not the noise of the crowd? or maybe a combination of ambient sound effects that perversely sounds like laughter? :)

Sausehuhn
18th July 2005, 12:38 PM
the laughing is there! Hm... maybe it wasn`t when you did not get a super start. It`s that laughing in the challenges when you use one of the 3 restarts - you know? In Fusion they used it when you didn't make a super start. It's like somebody is laughing at you because you`re to silly to get the super start.
Maybe you will hear it the next time :D

@ Drakkenmensch
yes, you're right. I heard them in a Ubermall movie. Haven't seen them yet - I've no copy of Pure... and no PSP of course...

eLhabib
18th July 2005, 12:43 PM
I think what you heard as 'laughing' is actually the noise the engine makes when you miss the kickstart. It kind of mumbles down, trying to accelerate again, like it would with a car if the engine can't deal enough power.

Space Cowboy
18th July 2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, that sort of stalling noise, it does sound abit like laughter I suppose.

Shem
18th July 2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah, i was to write the same thing, and as i play WO since i left the valley of darkness (NES games) i haven't heard a single 'laughing' in Wipeout.

Axel
18th July 2005, 03:52 PM
Well for the euto load you could have the option to turn it on or off. How about the same for auto save eh? the amount of times I've done a whole single tourney on Wo3 and forgot to save!!!!

Oh and as for classic ships, PLEASE!!! I would love to see them in the PS3 graphical glory!

flying_saucer
20th July 2005, 10:41 PM
all cars and tracks from all wipeouts (updated and better graphics)

equalizer for the music :D to make things better ( or just connect ur tv to stereo)

tuning program for wipeout ( ah id love to see changing ship form and style)

editable colors and all kinds of effects on the tracks :D

Rouni Kenshin#1
20th July 2005, 11:15 PM
the menus could be more elaborit, like a hanger that rotates to select each ship, and don't mention RR on this site ever again. :D

Dogg Thang
21st July 2005, 06:10 AM
Why not exactly, Rouni?

Rouni Kenshin#1
21st July 2005, 09:33 PM
Ridge Racer, wipeout

not exactly compatable.

djlucite
21st July 2005, 10:18 PM
It would be cool if when you select your ship it slides into view ala Gran Turismo style, slowly rotating, and you could use the analog stick to change the view if you wanted to look at it.

Heh, Gran Turismo...imagine Car Washes for the AG Racers...lol.

Music Selection would be really great, or at least put a "skip track" in the pause menu.
Custom music would be even better (I wished for this in Pure...imagine flying around to your favorite CoLD SToRAGE beats...)

Rouni Kenshin#1
22nd July 2005, 02:16 AM
yeah custum music would be nice.

(scarcasm) yeah could you imagin wipeout and 50cent (scarcasm) :lol:

phoenixx
22nd July 2005, 06:34 AM
I could imagine wipeout with HARD ROCK SOUNDS...seriously...
:rock_on :guitarist :rock_on :guitarist :rock_on

..ducks for cover..

Animagic
22nd July 2005, 03:44 PM
I would like to see where the ships are docked before the race (similar to all the concept art out there)

I guess what I really want is some in-game-engine showings of the world around wipeout...
these can be areas you navigate to get through the menu, whatever.

I'm sick of the only in-engine elements of the game being the tracks and the ships... and everything else being static menus (for the most part)

I'm not sure what else there should be, but I'd like some more something to help break up the races....or at least give the illusion that there is a world outside of where these racetracks are located.

(divert your attention AWAY from the awful quantum redshift...do not focus on the pilots stories please. QR is a good example of how not to do it.)

Task
22nd July 2005, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, you give me an interesting idea...

There's already "art" inside Pure, right? Pictures of the wipeout world that you unlock for viewing as your progress through the game?

Well, assuming there is, if you could choose to use those images as "menu backgroud", kind of like wallpaper for the game, would that give you what you're looking for?

'Cause I think that would be kind of cool.

The only difficulty would be designing a menu system that would be usable no matter what image was set as the "background wallpaper". Challenging, at the very least.

Also, just out of curiosity, you're not under the impression that there's no link whatsoever between QR and Wipeout, are you?

Even though I don't have an XBox, I've got a copy of QR. I definitely like the controls for it, it _feels_ a lot more like Wipeout than Fusion ever did. The stories certainly were a bit on the silly side, but the rest of the game was pretty slick. Definitely enjoyable.

Sausehuhn
22nd July 2005, 07:01 PM
Mentioned this in another thread already, but has not really something to do with playing the game.
I would like a camara that is movable through the whole track. You could see all the details you can't see when you're just with a craft on the track. and: making photos in this camera-mode, use them as a background - very good idea Task - and maybe save them on a mem-card that is compatible with a PC/Mac.
This mode should also feature a stop/play forward/reward and fast forward/fast reward "player". So if you want to make a pic of one special situation you could go fastly to it and stop all the motions on the track and then make the photo from all perspectives.

consequently we also could see all the things the creators made and aren't visible from the normal racing perspectives - like the the cities in WipEout Pure :D

syckls
22nd July 2005, 07:23 PM
Sounds like a sight-seer's dream come true. :) That would be a great idea, though, provided they put enough work into it to not have inter-dimensional portals in the course. It would be an excellent showcase for much of the work that goes unnoticed in these games.

Lion
30th July 2005, 09:43 AM
if there was a tourist mode as described I think it should tell you the name of certain locations/give you the opportunity to get extra peripheral info. (hit x for information about this bend?). if you look around the wipeout pure site it tells you about (eg:) adams leap and how it got it's name. it would be cool to really have a consistent world feel and I think that this ability would add to that

Dogg Thang
30th July 2005, 09:51 AM
That would be quite cool as an extra feature. Actually that would havce been great for me with Pure last night - I was in bed and very sleepy but I really wanted to play Pure. I didn't have the concentration for the intense races so I just went for a slow Free Play lap around the new Delta tracks. I would have loved that tourist mode though, just to give me a slow paced experience just before sleeptime!

Lance
30th July 2005, 03:20 PM
i like that idea very much. while such things should never take away effort from the core of the game, it would give the game a depth that would more than equally reward the extra work put into making those details. extra immersion in the game's world is always a good thing IMO

Drakkenmensch
30th July 2005, 03:33 PM
I agree with Lance on that - the game would benefit from an added "tourism" mode, and it wouldn't interfere with the racing modes we all love so much.

Sausehuhn
30th July 2005, 03:41 PM
I like the "additional idea" that you can get informations about the track. There also should be a map in 3D before going into the mode (in the stlyle of the track-preview in Fusion) so you could choose the place the whole mode should start at. And the same map in the menu if you dicide to change the place when you#re already in the mode. Also a look into all the halls (entrance of the complex with the check in and out and the whole tribunes and so on) and into the hangar under the track would be aaaavesome. 8O

And you should have a pocket lamp or something to light up dark corners :D

eLhabib
30th July 2005, 05:58 PM
how about having tourist mode in the form of a real-time cutscene movie, flying around and above the track in a sightseeing bus-style wusswagon! :D

infoxicated
30th July 2005, 06:44 PM
I'll tell you why not, because those things take months to make and most people watch them three or four times max. What's the point in dedicating the man hours to fluff when it should really be dedicated to making a polished game with all the modes and playability expected of a modern AAA title.

Note to game developers: I don't want any fluff, I just want to get to the front-end, through your slow ass animated menus, and into the game as quickly as possible.

Animagic
7th August 2005, 07:51 AM
what I'm about to say is going to be unpopular here, but thats cool with me, I'm sharing what I'd like to see when it comes to menus in future versions of wipeout...

I'd like to see an abandonment of the strict designer menu system that DR started with XL...
what I mean by that is, with menus and things you have an opportunity to flesh out the world of A-G Racing in the background...
if any of you have played Midnight Club 3 you know kind of what I'm getting at with the menus being part of the world...

imagine the menu for single race set up for example
behind you see the hanger and the mechanics working on the crafts before the race,
or people filing into their seats to anticipate the race, maybe some robots preparing the track by shooing off birds...etc.

each menu would represent a different part of the world, the profile load could be a non-descript AG pilots locker with the helmet in it or something....

I'd like to see the imaginative ideas in a lot of the concept art I see carried out even in this small way...
It would not upset the true nature of the game (which is to race) by adding unnecessary modes like customizing ships and walking around with the pilots or any of that noise...
but we could still have a deeper experience into the world.

what do you all think?

maybe I haven't explained it well enough to understand?

Lion
7th August 2005, 08:05 AM
I like the sound of that. as long as it was the background rather than an integral part of the menus. I don't want to have to navigate a point and click rpg to start a race

Animagic
7th August 2005, 08:15 AM
yeah think of the designer menu stuff laying atop the realtime images
it would work like any other wipeout menu, except theres awesome contextual
imagery coinciding with your selections behind it :D

G'Kyl
7th August 2005, 12:07 PM
I'm all with Rob here: Menus should be simple. They are for navigation, the fun is on the track. The fance stuff only gets in the way of quickly getting where you want to: racing - which is also where technical excellence belongs to.
If simpler menus had saved only half a minute of loading time in Midnight Club 3, the game had been a much better piece of software. Hopefully, Rockstar can deliver on their promise to reduce loading times for the EU release.
My point being: I want as little distraction from the essence of a game as possible.

Ben

Drakkenmensch
7th August 2005, 12:25 PM
There's no argument there, menus should be kept simple, and anything extra that appears with the selection should be justifiable, not just fluff. Pure had it right in this case, with menus that were just a series of words to select with up/down, and the only extra info you would see graphically were the track layouts as well as the ship appearance and stats. Nothing superfluous there, gets the job done, now take us to the racing goodness! Excellent design, simple, efficient.

Mobius
7th August 2005, 01:12 PM
Menus should be simple yeh.

The only place in the world I can get lost in is in a EA Games front end menu. :)

Lance
7th August 2005, 02:20 PM
because of my limited experience of videogames, i've only seen one game with menus such as Animagic describes; that was the Star Wars PodRacer, whatever the actual name of it is. it was pretty cool, but seemed very slow despite being played on a computer and loaded from a harddrive, which would indicate that the speed of use is a matter of the concept of the game designers. i like the idea of seeing animated action in the game world 'behind' the menus, but i do not want to be forced to do walkarounds in the manner LucasArts seems to prefer. that sort of thing is very immersive and interesting on the first playing of the game but is repetitious and obstructing every time thereafter.
so, yeah, action going on in the background, but the menu choices loaded and visible immediately so that the player can either enjoy the ambience for a while or go instantly to playing the game itself

G'Kyl
7th August 2005, 07:09 PM
Now that you mention it, I got lost in Star Wars Pod Racers menus all the time. They are a good example of how to not do things. ;) Or maybe that was just me. Anyway, 3D backgrounds are a nice touch, I agree, but in case with the PSP they rather not put them in because of the loading times such extra, and ultimately useless, content creates.

Ben

lunar
7th August 2005, 07:21 PM
It`d be pleasingly efficient to be able to launch a race from the medal screen in your profile. Take a look at your medals, see a silver which needs upgrading to gold, then instead of navigating the menus to that event and class, just hit one button, select ship and away you go.

Lance
7th August 2005, 08:16 PM
good idea!

Animagic
8th August 2005, 03:46 AM
i've only seen one game with menus such as Animagic describes; that was the Star Wars PodRacer...... so that the player can either enjoy the ambience for a while or go instantly to playing the game itself

Lance has got it.
That's a great example of what I mean...

BenjaminBirdie
9th August 2005, 03:03 AM
I think the best example of the way I think the menus could work if you wanted to integrate design and 3D environs is the opening cinematic for Pure. The was they overlay the design/logo elements with the movie is just fantastic. I wouldn't mind the same thing being done with menus. A very simple, static 3D image with an active design-style menu in front (picture Triakis fishies).

All this talk of customization, though, really makes me wish this was coming out on the 360. Can you imagine combining the kind of stuff Bizarre is doing with PGR3 with the design sense and universe of Wipeout? Sony just needs to get their online **** together in time for Studio Liverpool to really create the online/offline Wipeout world we've been dreaming of since we bought the first one.

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th August 2005, 03:08 PM
Ideia! :D

how may of you when you first played wipeout or which ever you started on wanted a small moving map portion in the corner durring the race?

thaey have them in a lot of racing games and if find that it would be a nice addition.

what do you think?

Drakkenmensch
10th August 2005, 03:27 PM
you mean a minimap?

I don't know - it never really felt required in WO. Once you know the track, you KNOW it. At this point, it feels like it would break the spirit of the game to add in one.

lunar
10th August 2005, 03:42 PM
I wouldn`t want a map as I`d miss the feeling of being completely lost on a new track, and bashing all the walls until it starts to come together.

Mobius
10th August 2005, 04:01 PM
They had those on wipeout fusion didn't they?

Sausehuhn
10th August 2005, 06:04 PM
no, they didn't.

Mobius
10th August 2005, 06:22 PM
Oh yeh, silly me. I was thinking of the track flyby's in the main menu rather than a map on the HUD.

Hellfire_WZ
10th August 2005, 08:42 PM
Couldn't see it being any use. I certainly couldn't imagine anyone glancing at it in a Phantom race.

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th August 2005, 11:03 PM
The point is so you can get used to a new track faster.

when i started pure i can't tell you how many times i went the wrong durection in a turn because i couldn't see it untill it was too late.

that was on vector which now seemes slower than mlassus. 8O

eLhabib
11th August 2005, 01:09 AM
well actually I think there is NO racing game out there that indicates turns more obviously than wipEout. look at the arrows! :D

Drakkenmensch
11th August 2005, 01:17 AM
Those arrows on Manor Top aren't much of a clue though - I kept wondering "What direction is that supposed to be???" and slamming on the walls until I learned the layout and memorized every turn.

steninja
18th September 2005, 09:08 PM
20x20 or somethin pixel grid u can draw ur own decal/logo's for ur craft.

more cut scenes of the wipeout world would be cool.

bakkufu
8th November 2005, 12:47 PM
I reckon that having a "hanger" like in the air combat games so that you can see and zoom around the ships when you select them would be a nice touch. Driods and team members prepping the ship for the race, then the doors open ( ala pure intro ) and the ship moves out when you choose your chosen craft. But do it so that you can switch to a mode where you can see team history - select older craft to view etc.

Make it a "team home" rather than just a menu to select your ship.

eLhabib
8th November 2005, 01:11 PM
wow, NICE idea! kinda like the car showrooms from each manufacturer, like in Project Gotham Racing 2! Oh I would LOVE THAT!

Distrupto
8th November 2005, 02:24 PM
Yeah, great idea! In the team selection, u can go to the history, team HQ, or "hangar". In the hangar, all the teams' ships from various leagues r there, with stats and data. Wen u select one, the team members come around and prepare the ship for the race. Then doors open, the ship makes its way onto the grid and the countdown begins. In the Team History section, well u get to see the team's history. In HQ, u can upgrade ur ships(if available), analyze opponent's racing styles or view replays of races using that team, as well as test-drive the ships. :P :) :wink:

:)

Say, if u select Auricom, the original Auricom, 2097 Auricom with spoiler, Wip3out Auricom, ugly Fusion Auricom, Pure Auricom and FX-450 Auricom r in the hangar. The history of the team is in the history section. In the HQ, the ships can be upgraded, tested, and replayed. :)

Lance
8th November 2005, 02:31 PM
that would be very cool. once. after the first time, i would want to bypass the whole time-gobbling parade and show so i could just select the ship i want from a list and get to the racing. maybe once every six months i would watch the show again, just for the pleasure of seeing the Wipeout world beyond the racetrack.

eLhabib
8th November 2005, 02:50 PM
well, for multiplayer races you would of course set up a certain 'era' first, so everyone gets to select ships only from that particular league. You don't have to go through the hangar for that. Also it would be kinda weird to have ships from different league eras on one track together.

Drakkenmensch
8th November 2005, 02:57 PM
Well, it wouldn't be weird if your "hangar" was a museum of AG racing, and the menu consisted in selecting a Feisar craft from a whole serie of them, each one corresponding to one of its various incarnations through the successive leagues of AG history - including a beat up stitched together abandonned junker of the dead F9000 repaired as best as the amateurs could for the FX150 era :D

Distrupto
8th November 2005, 03:12 PM
Wow, now that would be something. :roll:

Sausehuhn
8th November 2005, 03:34 PM
- it should be possible to hold the > , < , v or ^ button longer to switch for example more crafts in the craft selection.
In every WipEout you had to press the button one time to go to the next ship. And then again to go to the ship after. And then again for the next one and so on.
Especially because the next WipEout will include more ships/tracks/menuskins/what ever it's annoying just to go to the next objekt even when you hold the button longer - particularly when you want to move to the last object in the list.

- The menu music shouldn't be just one tape that is playing again and again without an end.

- on any selection there shouldn't be any "fade ins" of logo graphics or ships, skins or tracks, etc. etc. Because that way you can easily see which objekt you're looking at, even when you go fast through the selection.
A really good example for "how fading in goes wrong" is NFSU1.
You had a car in mind, but didn't know the name. So you had to check the whole selection. And that was the problem: You selected a car and everytime you had to wait before you actually saw it, because the old car drove away and the new one appeared - and that took time.
The same is when grapics are fading in. You go fast trough the selection and at every graphic you have to wait to the moment the graphic is totally faded in, because without waiting you can't see it. That is annoying.

Lance
8th November 2005, 04:17 PM
so true about the timetaking selection process, Max.

and yes, plEase, more than one tune for the menus. please make it a random selection from the whole catalogue of music in the game

Rapier Racer
8th November 2005, 11:51 PM
Argh no I must disagree with that, one song for the menu please, I remember playing 3 SE and it would always play the music I really like at the menu screen meaning I would then have to trail through the list before I started racing and put on the song that previously played at the menu screen for about 6.8 seconds whilst I was selecting

Lance
9th November 2005, 02:07 AM
then we can add a faster music selection process to the list of desired tweaks

Sausehuhn
9th November 2005, 03:18 PM
where's the problem to add a "menu setting" to the "audio setting".
There you should be able to select if you want these or those songs for the menu, if you want them randomly or as they stand in the list, if you want them played without an end or what ever.

Dogg Thang
9th November 2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah that makes sense Sausehuhn. In terms of music selection and wanting your faves to come up, I think Ridge Racer on the PSP handled that really well. It starts the music track associated with the track as it shows you the track but at that point it gives you the option of just scrolling through the tracks then and there without interrupting the flow. I was really impressed with that method.

Hellfire_WZ
9th November 2005, 06:08 PM
That seems to have been a trademark throughout the Ridge Racer series, it was like that for Type 4 as well. I really liked it that way as well, and the default playlist differed depending on what team you raced with.

But I did like how the first three Wipeout games used the in-game track list for the menus, it offers a bit of variety, even if it's only for a little while as you set up the next race. A looping background sample becomes a little irritating to me after a while, and the less said about the Fusion one the better.

bakkufu
10th November 2005, 05:57 PM
Going back to the hanger thing quickly, in air combat you can read plane history - stats and select an alt weapon etc with additional menu's, or just press x to choose a plane. The feature is there for those that want it, but it doesnt force you to sit through it all every time.

Distrupto
11th November 2005, 10:05 AM
I know, this would be a nice feature having a hangar. In the hangar, u can just select a ship and skip the entire intro thing by pressing a button. Its similar to several air combat games. U choose an A-10, F-15, F-22, F/A-18 or watever plane and then it displays all its data, history, stats, etc. However u can ship all that and just go to the loadout screen where u load the weapons u want and fly out. In some games, after u load the weapons, the plane automatically taxis slowly out to the runway while the mission briefing is being spoken out with cutscenes of what's going on at the target. But u can just press a button and skip the entire thing to come immediately on to the runway. :)

infoxicated
11th November 2005, 11:02 AM
I always feel that kind of thing is over indulgent, though. I want to get into the racing as quickly as possible - I skip the grid fly-by every single time because it's meaningless - I know I'm at the bloody back, just get on with it!

It's like the months spent on intro movies, only for them to be watched a couple of times and skipped for ever more - it's tragic that the time and effort that goes into them isn't appreciated more, but the fact is that people want to get into the game.

I'd rather any time being considered for flashy front end menus featuring hangers with tedious loading times be put into polishing the rest of the game.

kaiotheforsaken
11th November 2005, 11:36 AM
well what if it was a side thing? Like the wipeout museum, not required to get into play, but there for those who wish to read the info or see close ups of their crafts and read history and so forth. R-type final had something like this and while you selected basicly hot key ships for the main ship selection it also served as a history lesson and gave the background of all the fighters, so for wipeout, just make it and extra thing, something the die hards or the people who love that sorta thing can go to at their leisure.

eLhabib
11th November 2005, 11:52 AM
I for one would absolutely dig such a hangar. And I never skip the track fly-by either :wink:

Sausehuhn
15th November 2005, 04:56 PM
- it should be possible to turn back on the league-screens every time. I mean these screens that appear when the race is over. There is the race-table, the league-table and the screen that shows the "jump to next race / quit league". It should be possible to go back to the race-table when you're allready at the league-table for example.
That was included in Fusion, but not in Pure anymore.

- there should be the question "are you sure" when you have to make a decision like "quit" or "next" EYERY TIME.

eLhabib
15th November 2005, 05:09 PM
- there should be the question "are you sure" when you have to make a decision like "quit" or "next" EYERY TIME.

HEAVENS, NO! I HATE such questions, whenever they appear. Those are only viable in cases of deleting or overwriting memory IMO. Other than that it would juat plain ANNOY the hell out of everyone!

Drakkenmensch
15th November 2005, 05:16 PM
You might benefit from the "are you sure" when you're selecting to quit out of a tournament, as this is something you don't want to do by error, though it's not really crucial since by default "next race" is highlighted, and you can only accidentally go to the next one. The game does ask you if you're sure before any kind of overwriting, so it's all good.

element42
15th November 2005, 05:47 PM
HEAVENS, NO! I HATE such questions...I agree, they can be annoying, but what's more annoying is inadvertently quitting the game and having to reload the whole damn shebang when you meant to restart the race. :brickwall Short loading times would help that.

bakkufu
16th November 2005, 07:18 PM
anything along these lines?

http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/linkedwork/hangar.jpg

Lance
16th November 2005, 08:26 PM
ooo.... veeery nice.

btw. that's hangAr. sorry for correcting, but i was an english lit. major

SMThomas
16th November 2005, 08:35 PM

http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/linkedwork/hanger.jpg (http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/linkedwork/hanger.jpg)

Brilliant Screenshot, it looks fab...made it with 3Ds max?

(and thanks so much for including my team logo in the selection, hmm, I wonder why logo text of that was changed a bit...)

bakkufu
16th November 2005, 08:58 PM
SMThomas - thanks for the thumbs up there - I added the hanger and droid in 3DSmax and then filtered it all with paint shop pro 7.

Changed text because I couldnt find the font you used ( had to remake the logo because there was no alpha layer on your images )

Lance - thankyou for the correction and appreciate the kind comments too :)

Just an idea to show off what kind of thing we COULD have in terms of ship selection and history mode ( see notes at the bottom )

Lance
16th November 2005, 09:08 PM
um.... ''added hanger and droid''. sigh. ;)
i'm sorry, but i couldn't help it. :rolleyes: :D

bakkufu
16th November 2005, 09:19 PM
ta lance - fixed it ;)

Distrupto
17th November 2005, 01:50 PM

http://www.bakkufu.co.uk/linkedwork/hangar.jpg

Wow, impressive hangar!:rock :clap The droid looks good, but if each team has all its old and new ships in the hangar, shouldnt the BakkufuDynamics hangar have the x9, 8, 3, etc. in it? Its a hangar, it should have multiple ships, they should be suspended on something, and there should be atlast 3 smaller droids and a couple of ppl. Oh yeah, and the Dragunn and Omegatek signs look nice, adding a realistic touch.:robot :D

Lance
17th November 2005, 03:28 PM
putting all those ships in might have been just a teensy bit of extra work and a lot of extra time absorbed, not to mention that the main ship might have had to be reduced in size in the pic so it wouldn't show up as well

Sausehuhn
17th November 2005, 04:17 PM
the hangar looks really good!
I would love to be able to do such things, but 3D programs were ever a big riddle to me and I figured out, that you have to spend HOURS to make details etc.

But I would prefer a hangar like the one used in the Fusion intro... hm... on ign.com - on one of the last pages - there's the intro (colored), there you can see such a hangar - with all ships in one big, long tunnel and arm taking ships and working persons and so on.

here a few pictures from the hangar and a person welding on a turbine, taken from the intro I'm talking about:

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/WipEoutZone/images/wof-turbine_jpg.JPG

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/WipEoutZone/images/wof-hangar1_jpg.JPG

http://people.freenet.de/sausehuhn/WipEoutZone/images/wof-hangar2_jpg.JPG

bakkufu
17th November 2005, 06:57 PM
thats the kind of thing I was thinking, my picture was a suggestion of concept rather than actual product lol.

I placed the other team logo's in to give an impression of team selection, with history features availiable from button presses shown at the bottom of the screen.

Distrupto
18th November 2005, 09:33 AM
That's the kind of hangar i was expecting. With more droids, a couple of ppl, and more ships. Thanks for the pics, Sausehuhn!8)

bakkufu
18th November 2005, 09:57 AM
totally agree there disrupto - tis merely a limitation in my 3d skill ( which im working on thanks to all you're support guys ) when I made that mockup.

Distrupto
18th November 2005, 10:05 AM
No prob, ur pic was great, it was the first ever fan-made hangar. To do something like that, all 3D with a ship and droid is very impressive. It definately beats Pure's selection screen by leaps.:clap

Distrupto
19th November 2005, 10:12 AM
A pic of the hangar which Sausehun posted has been included in the AG Action on the main page above the WipeQuote. I just noticed that.

Sausehuhn
10th December 2005, 08:31 AM
I would like to see coming back the Wip3out-"dudeldidud" when you cross the finish line (it should be a laser as well - this looks definitely best)

Lion
10th December 2005, 10:31 AM
the most ikmportant thing for me in the next wipeout game is that I don't have to wait long from turning the machine on to playing.
it annoys me more every time I start pure to have to select the language (it's set in my profile, why the hell do I have to choose it every time I start the game?)

ideal:
1) console splash
2) developer/publisher splashes - skippable, but if untouched, same duration as the "sony computer entertainment america presents" screen in pure.. ie only a couple of seconds
3)intro sequence - also have this configurable in the profile as to whether it plays or not each time... with a button available to make it play at will also
4) game title screen - this should probably be left on.
5)[first start ONLY] language selection. once set this is saved as a default. make the game load last-used-profile by default... maybe have profile selection on the main menu to ease this?
6) main menu

at the moment starting pure from poweron to main menu takes over a minute on the US version with all downloads. that's far too long for a handheld imo
also (unless I want to wait for all the cut scene things) it takes 8 button presses to even reach the main menu
the above outlined sequence would take two buttonpresses and considerably less time (on a console with a profile configured) or maybe four buttonpresses if you wanted to skip the dev/pub splashes

wipeout pure is a game that I would love to be able to pick up and have a quick single race while I wait for a server to boot or a long copy to happen. but half the time a PC will boot faster than I can get into a race

username
14th December 2005, 04:53 PM
yes it would be good if you did not have to wait for so long before you can actually get into playing the game. however if there are less menu selections then some of the games good points may go straight down the drain if you get what i am saying.

Sausehuhn
14th December 2005, 05:52 PM
Maybe I already mentioned some of these, I'm not sure, don't want to read the whole thread again now, so here is what i want to say:

- no translation of the "3-2-1-Go/Ready-Go!" into other languages. It looks very stupid when the voice says "Ready-Go" and the Screen (in German for example) "Fertig-Los". Both should be the same.

- The "3-2-1-Go/Ready-Go!" should be placed on a board on the track like it was in every WipEout before Pure.

- Volume and music track change in the race menu. When you start a race and you don't like the music settings you can easily change it. This was also included in every WipEout before Pure - I want it back

- the outside-view shouldn't be the same as it is in Pure again. It's far to high placed. And if it's available the game should also feature the old view. I'm also for more than just 3 or 4 views - Fusion made a step in the right direction there. And add the Wip3out cockpit view.

- the rear camera shouldn't be placed that high as well. Take the angle they used in Fusion.

Sausehuhn
6th January 2006, 11:43 AM
- you're at the main menu and choose (e.g.) the 4th menu item "options". Now, when you go back, your cursor should still be on "options" and not on top of the list again.

- when you choose a race you should see which medal you've already gained.

- if there's something like the progress screen in Pure again, you should be able to jump to the races directly when you select a medal

- if there's a progress screen/gallery with pictures you should be able to switch to the next image with one keypress.
Not "select medal" *looks at picture* "press back" "go to the next medal" "select medal" *looks at picture* "press back" etc. but "select medal" *looks at picture* "one keypress" "next medal" *looks at picture* "one keypress" etc.

- if there's again soemthing like liverymode it should be selectable for ALL ships.

- a colored preview of the ship in the ship selection menu

- if there're infos about tracks/ships/etc. they should fade in once and then visible all the time. Not like it is in Pure where the info text fades in again and again -> If you've not finished reading but the fade in begins again you have to wait till all is faded in again - just to read the last 2 words. This should definitely be changed.

- the images in the gallery should be in high-quality so you could also zoom in (and out) to see details.

InvaderF00
8th January 2006, 04:06 PM
OK, I don't think this has been mentioned... More of a request from Sony than a wish for the next WipeOut. That bitch had better support a power down/hibernate mode and it had better work properly.

I love how if I am in a game on the PSP, I could just power down and it saves exactly where I am at. Home consoles have needed this option for at least the last two generations. I don't think X360 does this, so if Sony can pull it off on the PS3 as they did on the PSP, I'm sold.

I'm already buing it as soon as the next gen WipeOut comes out... but it would further reinforce the purchase if the console itself didn't suck.

Sausehuhn
1st February 2006, 04:22 PM
one small thing that is irritating for me when I start Pure:

the screen says something like this when you start the game:

- Sony Computer Entertainment Europe presents
- a Studio Liverpool Production
- (!!) don't touch the memory Stick when the memory Stick symbol appears (!!)
- intro/name of the game

why the hell they put the mem-stick thing between these intro sequences, it definitely doesn't fit!

CR4SH3D
8th February 2006, 11:31 AM
how about like, have the loading screens a rendered art, with a description of the origins/era of wipeout and each time it loads it progresses to the next one?

maybe also a really small top down wipeout minigame that can load pretty much instantly?

and for the music selector, a really small player could be added to the HUD showing the track time, title and artist, and then you pause the game it kinda stretches and centres on teh screen or soemthing, or maybe jsut expands to show next track etc buttons?

lunar
25th September 2006, 08:52 AM
I`d like to see a small addition to the end of race menu in TT and Free Play modes (and possibly Arcade SR, but not tournament). As well as "next race" and "race again" there could be a "more" option which takes you to another short menu. Here you can choose to race the same track again in a different speed class, or change your ship. If technically feasible this would be very useful for TT sessions, enabling us to experiment with ships and work on a particular track without going through the whole selection/loading process again.

rdmx
27th September 2006, 02:26 AM
The music for the menu screens should be a loop but one that lasts for a minute or so before repeating.
Call me crazy but I'd like this sort of music for ship selection onwards Ace Combat style.
http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks/1009/5

Wolfen
13th October 2006, 01:09 AM
Well, one thing I definitely want to see return (but sadly, I probably won't) is the modulated voice from XL/2097. Just hearing him say "shield energy low" was so much cooler and futuristic-sounding than the lady's voice from Pure. Don't know why, the modulated one just seems less personal (and thus, more WipEouty).

Sausehuhn
13th October 2006, 05:14 AM
But Pure's one sounds sexier :)

And Fusion's even more :rolleyes:

Zerow
13th October 2006, 08:20 PM
Hehe, I slightly prefer the lady voice to the modulated one.

But I don't really mind if it changes back for the next WipEout.

Captain Q
22nd October 2006, 04:28 PM
I would love it if the ship computer spoke to me in the language of the team. Potential problems this would represent for FEISAR could be solved by just selecting the language when selecting the ship.

Imagine how cool it would be to have a wipEout voice speak to you in Russian.

Dominator
23rd October 2006, 07:43 AM
Nice idea Captain Q :D

Lion
24th October 2006, 11:28 AM
that would be pretty damned cool

Rapier Racer
24th October 2006, 02:56 PM
So it would be saying 'Missile' to me in African, Russian or German, I don't like that idea sorry :paperbag

Zerow
24th October 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not too keen on that idea either.

If it said "Rockets." to me in Russian, it could be saying "Plasma." for all I know. I like to have a clear and immediately understandable warning of an impending danger.

It would be good though if you could change the language spoken by the voice as you choose, if say you have a better understanding of French than you do English.

andy
24th October 2006, 08:56 PM
I think it would be more sensible to have just the "3,2,1,Go!" in the language of the country you are racing in.

@Germany "drei, zwei, eins, gehen!"
@China "三、二、一,走!"
@France "trois, deux, un, disparaissent!"
@Spain "¡tres, dos, uno, van!"
@Russia "Три, два, один, идут!"

etc etc. (got a little carried away there :))

guillaume
24th October 2006, 09:23 PM

That's funny! :p
Because it looks more like a spell, it means: "three, two, one, disappear!" :)

Actually in French you'd say either "trois, deux, un, go !" or "prêts... partez !" (as in "ready... go!")

Sausehuhn
24th October 2006, 09:26 PM
"drei, zwei, eins, gehen"

Now you see what you get by verbatim translation. "Gehen" doesn't really match the meaning :D

It's "Los" for Pure. Not that good either I think. Especially now with the voice saying the same in english.
For me "english all the way" is best. English will be a more and more international language in the future I think so that would be one more thing.

And especially if the countdown board will return (like in all WipEouts before Pure) it sounds unrealistic if there's a different voice (that is not international) when it's told to all ships on the gird.

Lion
25th October 2006, 06:42 AM
And especially if the countdown board will return (like in all WipEouts before Pure)are you not counting fusion as a wipeout anymore? ;)

Sausehuhn
25th October 2006, 05:58 PM
http://ps2media.ign.com/media/previews2/image/wipeout/wipeout_8.jpg

andy
25th October 2006, 06:19 PM
He said before pure, not fusion.

Remember curly (i think) from W3O? Instead of one "announcer", you could have regional announcers to give it authenticity, like a russian in a hat :P or the queen.

Lion
25th October 2006, 08:32 PM
I think we have our wires crossed...
were you were referring to use of the board, I though you meant the lack of a countdown..
as both fusion and pure use "ready, GO!" instead of "3,2,1,GO!"

Sausehuhn
25th October 2006, 08:56 PM
I meant the board (-> "countdown board").

But anyway: isn't "READY - GO!" a kind of countdown as well (even though the word "count" cannot be used in it's literal meaning)?

Lion
26th October 2006, 12:56 PM
I guess so, my mistake :)

ace-of-spades
29th October 2006, 08:50 PM
I think it would be more sensible to have just the "3,2,1,Go!" in the language of the country you are racing in.

@Germany "drei, zwei, eins, gehen!"
@China "三、二、一,走!"
@Spain "¡tres, dos, uno, van!"
@Russia "Три, два, один, идут!"

etc etc. (got a little carried away there :))
Yeah, i like these little touches. In Japanese (romanji) "SAN, NI, ICH(I), IKU!"