PDA

View Full Version : Ship Balance

Curved
15th July 2005, 11:15 PM
I played an experienced player online today (wowawa, if anyone has played him), and I found out that the balance for the ships really is pretty bad in phantom. I was using my piranha and he was using AG Systems. Just in case anyone doesnt know, AG has 2 speed and max thrust, while the piranha has 2 thrust and max speed. When it comes down to it, he didnt go much slower than me, while he was able to rocket out of turns like no tomorrow. -- Note that I am slightly less experienced than him, but not much (later on, when I chose a thrust-y-er ship, races were pretty close).

This kinda upsets me, because I always have liked the harder to control ships, but even if I control it well, it just cant speed up fast enough to be any sort of competition. :(

So, because of this unfortunate fact, I think I will migrate to feisar, which was my favorite team coming into pure, which just so happens to have really nice thrust.

-- So, thrust is king in phantom.

Rouni Kenshin#1
16th July 2005, 12:17 AM
I think that it's not one ship is better because of this but that each person has a ship that works best for them.

for example, i am a Harimau man. :D

syckls
16th July 2005, 03:23 AM
No, I'd have to agree with Curved. On technical tracks, you absolutely need thrust to build up any speed. Despite the fact that those harder-to-control ships have a higher top speed, as soon as you get to a sharp turn that's all for nothing.

Hellfire_WZ
16th July 2005, 08:03 AM
Pull out the Piranha on Sol 2 or Exostra Run and you're laughing. Use it on Ubermall or Citta Nuova and you might as well write your own death warrant. That's why I think a lot of people use the Zone ship, it can do it all.

phoenixx
16th July 2005, 12:26 PM
I'd agree the stats deceive concerning speed. the 'fast' ships aren't so much faster.
and @ hellfire: If you're able to survive zone ship is the best allround choice IMO.

Sven
16th July 2005, 03:17 PM
why I think a lot of people use the Zone ship, it can do it all....except last through a race! :lol:

Hellfire_WZ
16th July 2005, 07:52 PM
Of course! :wink: Mind you, if you're good enough not to slam into the walls you'd only have to worry about quakes and bombs really. Everything else won't be in range.

Curved
16th July 2005, 08:21 PM
There are only a couple tracks, really, that the low thrust ships can compete on.

rejj
17th July 2005, 03:29 AM
Am I the only person in the world that likes the Tigron? I used to prefer Harimau, but as soon as I downloaded Tigron I swapped to that..

djlucite
19th July 2005, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I played wowowa on XLink a few times.

Absolutely murdered me in my Assegai.

Makes me want to practice more, haha.

phoenixx
19th July 2005, 09:42 AM
which ship does he use?

djlucite
19th July 2005, 09:47 AM
AG Systems.

phoenixx
19th July 2005, 02:12 PM
Thank you. another one who prefers a ship with low speed stat.

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 02:14 PM
You ought to speak to El Habib about Wowawa. El' hammered him completely.
Oh and If your wondering El' uses his trusty Assegai.

phoenixx
19th July 2005, 02:21 PM
Assegai's stats are 1 faster than AG and 1 less thrust. I think Assegai is the best allrounder. Interesting.

lunar
19th July 2005, 04:08 PM
El Habib is very good - I know from experience. You can`t be sloppy if you want to give him a real race. (Btw El I`m not hiding - just busy and I will be bringing the bombs again one day :P :wink: )

I think AGS could possibly be killed quite easily with its low shields - El`s Assegai is a beast and much more durable.

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 04:11 PM
How come I've never heard the Assegai spoken of more often on the boards?
In fact come to think of it nobody really plugs a particular ship for being 'the one'.
Any thoughts?

phoenixx
19th July 2005, 04:30 PM
I remember the time when Piranha was the supership. I think there is not 'the one ship' in Pure and that was intended by the makers. My favourites are Zone and Assegai.

Drakkenmensch
19th July 2005, 04:38 PM
It's true, isn't it? Everybody has their favorite ship, one that they perform better while using, but not one ship is better than all the others regardless who pilots it, no one ship banned from contests, none that results in everyone going "Oh sure, you're using THAT ship!" when someone selects it.

eLhabib
19th July 2005, 05:58 PM
WHOW WHOW WHOW stop it right there! Who said I 'hammered' wowawa!? That's simply not true! This guy is freakin' awesome on phantom, I don't even stand a chance there! But then I hardly ever play phantom, I prefer rapier for my everyday racing. On rapier, wowawa and me are pretty much equal, I just happened to beat him more often, due to a good amount of luck and one well placed plasma I remember.

But I didn't in any way 'hammer' him - he's regarded as the best pilot on xlink, and for a reason, too.

Space Cowboy
19th July 2005, 07:50 PM
ok my mistake :oops:

Axel
19th July 2005, 08:02 PM
speaking of Xlink, how is the performance of the game on that thing? Is the lag huge or tolerable?

eLhabib
19th July 2005, 08:08 PM
if you race with 2-3 people, there's no noticeable lag, if you race with 4 or more people, there can be some slight lag, and a drop in framerate, which feels a little 'trembly'. But nothing bad, really.

Drakkenmensch
19th July 2005, 08:12 PM
As with all games played online, the lag (or lack thereof) is determined by the person with the worst ping in the game. If the ping rate is good for everyone, you'll swear everyone was in your living room. If even one person has a bad ping, it will be choppy and look like your opponents are making short teleportation hops, and bombs will explode a full second after you went through them and the shockwave catches up to you at that point.

Worst possible scenario here happened to me last night where one guy who couldn't stay connected five minutes to save his life kept insisting to host all the games, ensuring not a single one of them ever got played all the way through.

Make sure your games are hosted by the person with the best, most stable connection in there!!!