PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Aspergers?

Anastasia
30th March 2002, 12:49 AM
Does 'General Discussion' mean that non-wipEout topics are allowed?

If so, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has a friend, relative, kiddy or any link with Asperger Syndrome (on the Autistic Spectrum). My little boy Josh is an Aspie and I am currently going from pillar to post trying to get help for him at playgroup and school. I have checked websites and am liasing with my health visitor and the childrens centre at the hospital but just wondered if any of you out there have any tales you can share about yourselves or loved ones, funny or otherwise. It's nice to have people to chat to who know about the condition. Josh is the only child in our village with it and the other kids are horrid to him at playgroup 'cos he's different and their parents don't understand and avoid us at all costs! Anybody else in the same situation?

Ana

AmishRobot
30th March 2002, 01:54 AM
I must admit that I had no idea what Asperger Syndrome was until I did a quick search on Google, so I don't have a lot that I can say. As far as creating a thread about it, if Rob can make a thread about his bank account, I'm sure there's no issues there! :lol:

How old is your boy? Kids will be cruel regardless, but parents should know better. I imagine many of them just don't know what to do, and the natural tendency would be to avoid it. Have you considered perhaps gathering some pamphlets to give them that explains the condition? Or perhaps even a web address? Tthere seem to be a number of online support groups out there.

I wish you and your son the best.

stin
30th March 2002, 03:33 PM
My cousin`s son is autistic if you would like I could get her a E-mail address for you if you think it would help you to talk to her?
Hope things look up for you good luck!
SH

Anastasia
30th March 2002, 11:06 PM
Thanks for your comments, both of you. I'll see how things go.

Ana :)

neo
31st March 2002, 03:50 PM
Hi Ana

I teach special needs in high school and one of the boys i look after has Aspergers..i have to admit though i don't know that much about it..but he is the nicest boy i teach..he is really into formula 1 and yep you guessed wipeout!!..i will see what i can find out about it for you..any addresses ect..when we go back to school next week..
Giillie :)

neo
31st March 2002, 06:01 PM
PS...my daughter has dispraxia..so i know how it is to have a child that is "different"..:)

Anastasia
1st April 2002, 01:21 AM
Hi, Neo - thanks for replying! That is really interesting. Yeah, I'd appreciate any info you can find.

rhys
1st April 2002, 04:24 PM
my mum is a health visitor would u like her emial address?

Anastasia
2nd April 2002, 02:20 PM
my mum is a health visitor would u like her emial address?

Thanks, Rhys, but I have a health visitor I'm in touch with. I just wondered if anyone else had relations with Aspergers to compare notes.

satriani
3rd April 2002, 11:38 AM
Ana, my mother has just retired after working for 15 years with all ages (mainly residential care) for the NAS if you want me to put you in touch with her just give me the nod. Her experience with both autistic adults and children may be of use.

neo
3rd April 2002, 05:33 PM
The Aspergers boy i work with (he is 14) is great..one of the nicest kids in school..his aspergers seems to manifest itself with him becoming fixated with things...at the moment its formula one racing..he talks all the time about it..draws cars..brings racing mags into school..but he is so knowlegable about it..the only problem i have with him is keeping him on task..in maths its ok as long as we do sums involving mileage or petrol consumption..and in english as long as we write about cars..you get the idea!!
The last thing he was fixated with was toilet pulls..so i guess formula one is much better!!!

How does Josh manifest aspergers?....i know he is way younger but was just wondering..

byeee for now...:)

Anastasia
5th April 2002, 09:47 AM
Hi Neo! Thanks for your reply!

Josh has fixations on trains/buses/ships/dinosaurs/space - and knows everything about them. He loves to look at bus collector handbooks, space encyclopaedias, grown up dinorsaur/space documentaries and his knowledge on each is extraordinary.

He probably knows a lot more about Space and the Solar System than a lot of adults. Example: he can name Jupiters moons and knows which is which.

He is happy at home but very unsettled when we go out where there are crowds of people or loud, unfamiliar noises.

I take him to Playgroup and stay with him. He loves to play with the trainset and the dinosaurs and look at reference books quietly in the corner. He refuses to play with other kids and gets distressed if they try and approach him. He'll shout "go away!" really loud. When it's time to sit down together for milk and biscuits, Josh doesn't join in. We have to sit away from the group to have our snack. Luckily, the Playleaders are aware of his condition and let him be. They don't force him to do anything he doesn't want.

We are currently going through the long, drawn out stage of getting him statemented for school.

Lance
5th April 2002, 04:01 PM
ana, josh sounds a lot like me. i don't scream ''go away'', but other than that, the similarity is substantial.

mdhay
5th May 2007, 02:23 PM
I know this has been around since 2002,but i have aspergers syndrome: and it's a curse I am bullied cos' of it I think it's because of me being in a mainstream school and you can't keep anything quiet in schools these days.