PDA

View Full Version : 5th Anniversary of Wipeout 3 Special Edition

infoxicated
13th July 2005, 01:07 PM
Back on 13th July 2000, Wipeout 3 Special Edition hit the shelves in Europe, less than a year after the original Wipeout 3 had launched. For me it was the definitive Wipeout for the original PlayStation, as it gave me a chance to experience the classic tracks I hadn't had the pleasure of playing in the earlier games.

In recent times I discovered the original plan for Wipeout 3 special edition, and it was almost heartbreaking to learn that it was meant to include every classic Wipeout track. In the end the time constraints and the latter closure of the Leeds Studio meant that it was pared down to just 8 of those classic circuits.

To this day it's still my favourite version of Wipeout - the ship handling, the strategy brought about by the thrust/shield drain, and the sheer ambience of the whole game make it a classic in my mind.

Happy 5th Birthday Wipeout 3 SE :) :cake :clap

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 01:10 PM
this is moving me - I think I'm gonna cry :oops: *picks up his trusty copy of w3o:SE and hugs it*

Mobius
13th July 2005, 02:41 PM
I can WO3:sE is the game i have put moe hours into than ANY other game i have ever owned.

It is a piece of genius, so is wipeout 3 but i have to sayt he faux deco style througout the game relly sums up why i like the design of the game.

Happy bitrhday!

BTW, as the game is quite rare does anyone know how many copies were ever made? (just in the single pack, not the double)

Dogg Thang
13th July 2005, 03:12 PM
Ah yes, truly a masterpiece. WO3 SE for me is also the pinnacle of WO gaming. I loved WO3 and to have classic tracks thrown into the mix and given a WO3 makeover was just incredible. I still get a kick out of it.

The rarity of it has made me phobic about scratches but I'm hoping it lasts at least another five years.

Happy Birthday WO3 SE!

G'Kyl
13th July 2005, 06:08 PM
Happy birthday indeed! WO3SE ended the first part of the Wipeout era with grace, having been the most complete yet understating one to that date.

Let's hope Pure was only the first real step to an era that only should have begun when Wipeout went Next Gen with Fusion.

Ben

Roger
13th July 2005, 06:12 PM
Indeed, Happy birthday!

InvaderF00
13th July 2005, 06:20 PM
WO3:SE is definately the most substantial WO of the series. WO:XL/2097 might be the most prominent in most peoples minds (Thanks Atom Bomb ^_^), but as an avid fan, the speical edition has it all.

I <3 WipeOut SE

Sumimasen
13th July 2005, 07:04 PM
Might have to have a few bevvys in honour of the great Special Edition of the third age of WipEout! :D

Here's to you - you low polygon piece of gaming lovelyness! Shame you didn't keep your oldest child in order though! :oops:

*starts grumbling non-sensically about WipEout Fusion - yet again!*

I raise my glass to this, the most treasured of Pierre Belmondo's legacies!

Hippy Burpsday W'O"3SE!!!

Mobius
13th July 2005, 07:10 PM
^^^^^

That second line sounds like WipeQuote material to me :)

infoxicated
13th July 2005, 08:19 PM
It does, doesn't it! ;)

Rapier Racer
13th July 2005, 09:20 PM
wehey, happy birthday 3SE, my most played yet not my favourite, work that out :?:

Space Cowboy
13th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Happy B'day to a beautiful creation. The best and most complete wipeout ever. I still have fond memories of this game and my love for it has not diminished. :) It truly is a piece of Wipeout heaven. Curly says 'GO!'

Shem
13th July 2005, 09:34 PM
is it 5 years already???

Well, dress me up in stockings and call me Suzie!! Time flies when you're having fun with Wipeout!!

Lance
13th July 2005, 11:03 PM
gol dang PAL-playin' more-Wipeouted-than-you lucky bastards! :D

Axel
13th July 2005, 11:14 PM
Wow that 5 years went like a blast. Must admit, i just hope the next home console version of wipeout is a good mix of 3SE and pure. Then it will truly be the best wipeout to date!

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 11:15 PM
WORD! :mr-t

Drakkenmensch
14th July 2005, 01:39 AM
Amen to that, brothers and sisters!!!

Zeromus
14th July 2005, 01:40 AM
I had no idea there was a Wip3out SE...! Getting a copy off ebay now ;)

eLhabib
14th July 2005, 10:15 AM
BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY! GET YOUR PITCHFORKS OUT, WE'RE PEELING HIS EYES OUT! :D

syckls
14th July 2005, 04:26 PM
DON'T DO IT!! You wouldn't kill someone for becoming more religious, would you? And it's in your own religion, at that!

adam917
16th July 2005, 06:32 AM
I would love to see a Wipeout game with all WO1's music, all 1, 2097, and 3's tracks, and music from all (pre-2001) WO games thrown in one disc. I wanna hear CoLD SToRAGE - Operatique blasting whilst zipping through Challenge II or whatever the fastest challenge/tracks are in WO3. LOL

Space Cowboy
16th July 2005, 07:30 AM
Ditto! That would be a WO dream come true!

Lance
16th July 2005, 01:49 PM
the first 300 U.S. dollars videogame :)

InvaderF00
11th September 2005, 09:08 PM
And at $300, I would think that I'm getting it cheap.
I would gladly drop kick my mother to the throat for a W'O" Collection of all the original PSX material updated and put on one disc.
We're kinda got a bit of that on the W'O"3 Special Edition and are now getting more of that with The Pure classic packs, be there are plenty of other tracks, audio and racing; that NEED to be in pure.

Now if only I could play the PSP with a negcon, on a real TV... I wouldn't need any reason to interact with humans. I heard of something like this called PSP2TV over at teamXtender, but it looks like a pipedream.

Sausehuhn
12th September 2005, 01:16 PM
I wrote a mail to Sony Germany and they said it's not planned to conect the PSP with a TV/Monitor in near future...