PDA

View Full Version : help! - going broadband + online pure

element42
13th July 2005, 09:36 AM
I'm going to upgrade to broadband soon and am very much looking forward to playing Pure online when the PSP is released. What I want to know is, given that I live in the UK, what is the best and cheapest equipment set-up to get to make it easiest to play Pure online? A wireless router? A wireless network USB card? I've very little idea what any of this means! :roll:

I realise that this is a not-very Pure related topic but I'm scared of the Xlink forums! :oops: Most of their 'help' is a lot like gibberish to me. Anyway, it seems mostly to be concerned with setting up what you've got...

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 10:06 AM
if you look in the fx300 league topic, you will find my report about my fully functional setup using a D-Link DWL-122 wireless usb device.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2400&start=50

element42
13th July 2005, 10:24 AM
ah, smashing.
well that sounds easy enough. I might ask for those setup screengrabs at some point in the future if i go down this route. thanks. :D

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 10:30 AM
sure, no prob. :cowboy

Drakkenmensch
13th July 2005, 12:12 PM
I got it to work last night, though for some bizarre reason, my computer says there is "no signal", but I'm able to connect and race just the same - go figure!!!

lunar
13th July 2005, 02:45 PM
That`s good news, Matthew. If you follow the PSP connection guide sticky in the X Link forums you will have some understanding of the issues by the time you`ve worked your way through to the end. It probably still won`t work when you reach the end of that guide, but if you then come to El Habib or me for help you`ll probably soon be up and running. The x-link forums are useless though. I`ve wasted too much time looking for help there. The "criticism" section of the wikipedia entry for RTFM sums up the issues nicely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtfm

(btw I`m meaning to have another go at the 2097 challenge but work, life and kai have been in the way lately)

element42
13th July 2005, 03:33 PM
My main gripe with Pure was always going to be no Negcon, but from another topic I became convinced that I would be able to live without one. The little screen will still be bad, but when I realised that you could play online against the world, I became utterly convinced. :D
But I'm not going to get one on import so I'll have to wait until september... :?

Rouni Kenshin#1
13th July 2005, 06:50 PM
that "little screen" is no problem.

it is just too buetiful.

i can't spell. :(

G'Kyl
13th July 2005, 07:52 PM
The screen isn't too small, it just has one problem: sun. When playing out of home (which is what a handheld is made for, yes), you get real problems playing where there is no shadow. Hence my run for a proper seat at the start of my daily 2*40 minutes train ride. ;)

Ben

yawnstretch
13th July 2005, 07:53 PM
Im the very same - I run for a shaded seat too ;)

Methinks the europeans will enjoy it more come Autumn/winter

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 08:02 PM
well, I can't play it on top of the alps with all the reflection from the snow :wink:

Lance
13th July 2005, 10:37 PM
Vienna is on top of the Alps? i didn't know it would fit on those tiny little points.

''Yep, Ralph, i tell you, when got to the Vienna Starbuck's after climbing the north face of the Eiger, it felt pretty darn good. Most satisfying cup of coffee i ever had.''

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 11:11 PM
no, it's not. I was just warming up some clichées;)

Rouni Kenshin#1
13th July 2005, 11:41 PM
We got a starbucks last week. :D

but havent tried to play wipeout there yet.

what do you have to do go hook up?