PDA

View Full Version : Best Ships?

Kansas
11th July 2005, 05:48 PM
(I hope this is not considered a repost)

Sooo... after having put a lot of time into the game and the ships, including the Tigron...

how would you rank them?

put an asterisk next to the one you use most...

my list:

1. Tigron
2. Assegai *
3. Auricom
4. Feisar
5. AG Systems
6. Harimou
7. Triakis
8. Piranha
9. Quirex

***To me, Tigron has all the best of Assegai but with more speed. I ranked Piranha and Quirex so low because: 1) Piranha is horrible at taking turns, and 2) Quirex is like flying a refrigerator around the track... it just stinks.

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 06:28 PM
how can you compare the tigron to the assegai? it drifts out of sharp turns like an elephant standing on ice blocks!

anywho - here's my ranking, which - because of me being a graphic designer - is mostly based on how the ships visually appeal to me, but also takes my being able to fly them at reasonable profession in account :wink:

1. Assegai*
2. AG-5Y5
3. Qirex
4. Harimau
5. Piranha
6. Feisar
7. Auricom
8. Tigron
9. Triakis
10. Zone
11. Medievil

(Zone and Medievil may be good to fly with, but the lack of wipEout-ish design made me shy away)

Kansas
11th July 2005, 06:41 PM
Assegai is an amazing ship, but for some reason I can fly Tigron better... but I still prefer Assegai.

Lance
11th July 2005, 08:33 PM
quoting the WZ Guidelines:

''avoid starting topics like "What's your favourite track?" - these have all been done to death so many times before. A better topic would be "My favourite track is Stanza Inter - what do you think of it?" - this leads the discussion.''

i would add to this that you should go beyond the mere statement of favouritism to give al the reasons why it's a favourite. also ''best'' is vague. ''best'' for what? winning races? giving the most pleaure in 'handling'? the most fun? the most fun weapon to use? what?

Drakkenmensch
11th July 2005, 08:53 PM
A very good point.

My favorite ship is Piranha.

Why, you might ask?

It has top speed that can't be beat. It takes the Zone craft just to equal its highest speed, and Piranha achieves this without sacrificing shield power.

"But doesn't it handle like a pregnant cow?" some will ask. Of course, I realize that when you look at its handling rating, you see "2" and might think "Wow, that sucks." True, the inherent turning systems in the Piranha are challenging, but that's exactly how I see it, as a challenge. If you just use left/right on your D-pad, of COURSE you're going to be hitting walls all over the place. Duh! No, no, no, you HAVE to use the airbrakes, sideshift and let go of the gas pedal once in a while. Only then can you transcend the inherent failures of the Piranha poorly designed steering system and truly enjoy this marvelous piece of engineering.

Not to mention, the ship livery looks awesome with its kickass red and yellow design and "HUNGRY" lettering on the side.

Now THIS is why I'm a Piranha man. I think it's a lot more elaborate than just saying "I like Piranha, what about you?"

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 09:07 PM
very good post!

I'll try and keep up the high standard. here goes:

My favorite ship, as y'all might have guessed by now, is the Assegai.

There are three reasons for this preference.
First of all, I absolutely adore it's logo-, ship- and paintjob- design. The light blue and pastel green just does it for me. The logodesign is linear, bold, and still agile, as is the craft itself. I also like the sound of the name, it somehow just sounds sleek to my ears.
Secondly, there's the handling. The Assegai ship cuts corners like a blade and hardly loses any speed doing so. Seeing as I hate nothing more than letting go of that accelerator button, this handling is perfect for me, as I can take on almost every turn with full speed and little to no airbraking.
And third, there's the kickass acceleration, which seems to me to be the best of the starting 8. When a turn demands slowing down due to heavy airbraking and a tight turning radius, I can rest assured that I will be back at reasonable speeds long before the zone or triakis.
Together with reasonably strong shields and a better-than-average top speed, this makes the perfect bundle for me.

Lance
11th July 2005, 09:15 PM
i will do anything not to let go of the go button. this is why WO3 Icaras and WO2 Qirex are so enjoyable; they are so bloody fast but so high in handling inertia that it requires hero moves, anticipation of required inputs, and brilliant timing to get round the track smoothly and, above all, quickly. i just love them for that. it's why we started a no-Piranha Qirex League in WOXL. ti's just so damned much fun!

Rouni Kenshin#1
11th July 2005, 09:23 PM
Hi I like Hamirau because it has decent speed and good accereration but the handeling helped me glide throught the game with the ability to not touch anthying :D

and I've been looking for some pics of the Icaras ship. could you help.

Lance
11th July 2005, 09:31 PM
look at my avatar; it is a preproduction version of the Icaras. it is different from the final only at the tail, where there is a bit of a vertical fin on the final, and the large diameter of the prototype thruster is also reduced in the final version from what you see in the avatar.

or do you just mean that you need some good pics for editing to use for something?

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 09:35 PM
showoff :wink:

Cammodude
11th July 2005, 09:41 PM
Here's a picture of the Icarus from my "archive" of Wipeout craft.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Alienofshadows/Icarus.jpg

Now if anyone could share some decent FX-300 Tigron, Zone, and Van-Uber pics, that would be great. Pics of some F-3500 craft would be good too. :D

Lance
11th July 2005, 09:50 PM
at el habib: did i mention that the little diagonal band in the middle of the ship is orange in the final version? :D
[ looooooooves his Icaras! ] :oops:

Sausehuhn
12th July 2005, 11:56 AM
... the Icarus...
Icaras, Icaras!!!! Not Icarus!!!! :brickwall

;) :D

Sumimasen
12th July 2005, 12:22 PM
During my purE career so far, I have been a bit of a slut, racing for whoever takes my fancy (well, more to try each of the teams and settle on a favorite). I started out with the Piranha, which is generally my favorite ship of the series, but switched to Tigron, then Auricom, then AG...

Currently I am favoring Auricom and AG, although I'm leaning back towards Piranha for old times sake.

I have recently switched my Avatar from P:A to Auricom, not because of a switch in allegiance, but as inspiration to finish my bloody illustration!!! :oops:

So that's me, FX300 fickle-tart, with leanings towards the red and yellow fishy... :P

eLhabib
12th July 2005, 03:41 PM
*opens his cool-vocabulary-book and ads 'fickle-tart' with a thick, red marker*

Kansas
12th July 2005, 04:41 PM
Well, I am glad that the standards of this thread have been raised. It makes for a better thread.

Now, I love Assegai for the same reasons el Habib. I think Assegai combines all the best features of every ship in the game, and no other ship looks like it. Feisar and AG-Systems pretty much look the same with a few differences; Quirex, Auricom and Triakis all share the same look; Harimau looks like a toned-down version of Piranha. Assegai has a look of its own.

So, why did I choose the Tigron ship? Because I enjoyed its speed, while maitaining some of the ability of the Assegai. It does not mean that I prefer Tigron, it's hard to steer when I am not totally focused and that makes for a frustrating ride.

But, yes, Assegai is a wonderful ship. I love the motif of its livery and logo.

Lion
12th July 2005, 06:58 PM
much like sumi I find myself all over the show in pure, I tend to primarily use one ship in any given class, but crank the speed up another notch and I'll jump to another team.
in vector and venom I tended to use Assegai most, though personally I think it's paintjob looks a little on the washed out side (even on livery) it's handling definitely suited my early-game style of driving.
Most of flash I did with the Tigron, I think I started with it because it was new and winning a couple of TTs made me stick with it for a while.
But come rapier I was finding it a challenge to hold it together on the track. as a result I tried AG Systems in desperation and it worked, so I am playing through rapier with them. as to their paintjob I don't really like the standard, but I love the livery look... something about those white wingtips...
I am yet to open phantom, but in the games on phantom that I have played on kai I found that I love the way the Qirex drives in that class so it looks like I will be jumping again sometime soon, and I have to say I'm glad it's to Qirex as it's definitely the ship that most appeals to my aesthetic sensibilities (and 2097 alliegance)

Curved
13th July 2005, 11:52 AM
I pilot piranha because some people say it sucks because of its turning ability. Then they watch as I run a perfect lap on phantom. :wink:

username
13th July 2005, 12:26 PM
im not really sure what craft is my faivorite really. i kind of go on and off of them weekly :? i like the ag systems thrase best: lets be friends. burn baby burn sounds crap and cheesy but its one of the best craft too!!
i dunno then, i guess at this very moment its tigron or xios.
:wink:

phoenixx
13th July 2005, 01:00 PM
I prefer assegai and zone.
In tourneys it can be a little frustrating with zone when you get hit 3 or 4 times in the last race and you explode without a chance. But it's a challenge to survive. :banzai

wirehang
13th July 2005, 01:19 PM
Assegai and Zone with a little bit of Medievil if required for me. In the flower speed classes I was Auricom.

matt

Task
13th July 2005, 02:43 PM
flower speed classes

8 D Flower speed classes! 8 D

"We're going full petunia now, sir!"

I take it you're not a fan of Vector and Venom? Just a fantastic term of disdain there, I love it.

And hey, what's with the 137=Legend thing? I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking... 8 )

phoenixx
13th July 2005, 02:52 PM
ROFL :radar

Hellfire_WZ
13th July 2005, 03:03 PM
Triakis all the way. For me, only the heavyweights have any sort of predictable feel to them, the others are too light. The Zone ship makes me feel like I'm flying a fart.

lunar
13th July 2005, 03:11 PM
yeah I dislike the zone. It has no substance or feeling to it.

I`ve tried all sorts of ships, but I feel like a fickle tart and a cheat if I use anything but Qirex. I don`t know why, maybe I just have an subconscious fascination with purple. Its not the best ship, for sure.

Task, I think emsef is talking about Pure medals. It could catch on.

Colin Berry
13th July 2005, 03:14 PM
I love the Qirex so much I nearly changed its stats late on to make it faster :)

lunar
13th July 2005, 03:22 PM
Its beautiful. It kills me to shoot at it when I`m "playing away" with another team.

Dogg Thang
13th July 2005, 03:53 PM
I definitely have a historical connection with Qirex actually based on one early design feature - in the first WO, it was the only ship with a single engine. That made it special for me and is something that stayed with me, although I didn't use it all that much due to the tough handling. As shallow as it sounds, I loved Feisar simply because I liked the colours and, since WO1, I appreciated the fact that it was the ship that stayed true to the design of the original WO ships.

In Pure, I do find I use AG much more though - the balance of handling and speed just seems to suit me. In ways I do wish that Qirex had kept that tough handling but it has become a very middle ground ship in Pure.

wirehang
13th July 2005, 06:18 PM
a freudian typo, sorry!

infoxicated
13th July 2005, 08:09 PM
I love the Qirex so much I nearly changed its stats late on to make it faster :)Yeah, but you were too busy making the AG Systems crap! :P

xqpx
14th July 2005, 07:59 AM
*AG Systems
Zone
Assegai
Triakis
Qirex
Auricom
Feisar
Harimau
Piranha
Medievil

Don't know what it is, but I just love AG Systems. It has great handling and seems to have better airbrakes than any other ship. It may have a low top speed, but I think the thrust more than makes up for it. And I never have problems with blowing up.

Zone is the ship that gives me huge leads over the AI on every track. It's perfect in almost every way (the shields aren't a problem for me). I like AG Systems more because it feels easier to control and has better thrust.

Piranha may be fast, but I have no reason to use it with the Zone ship around. The Piranha's handling can be overcome by the experts, but no one can fix the thrust. :lol:

And Medievil... you call that a Wipeout ship?

phoenixx
14th July 2005, 09:05 AM
I love the Qirex so much I nearly changed its stats late on to make it faster :)Yeah, but you were too busy making the AG Systems crap! :P
ROFL
I loved the characters of the team performances in the earlier wo.
I believe it would be a good idea to keep this characters through further versions of wo - every team has it's fans and they are disappointed about radical changes.
This is a point of criticism concerning pure.
On the other hand pure has the most fascinating atmosphere of all wo games.
I hope the next wipeout will return to 'traditional' team performance.

Colin Berry
14th July 2005, 12:04 PM

Dont blame me just because you cant get the best from it. . .. :lol:

infoxicated
14th July 2005, 12:48 PM
Admit it, designer boy - AG Systems got a shafting because I made fun of your happy world of Harimau! :D :P