PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Four Movie

Drakkenmensch
9th July 2005, 03:00 AM
I've been to the movie theater today and saw the fantastic four movie (as the title of my post implies)

Here is my spoiler free review

Acting: B
This is, after all, a superhero movie. That they managed to pull off cheesy battle banter without coming off badly is a very good sign. Casting was overall well handled, with props going to both Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans.
Ben Grimm's casting was vital to the movie, as a bad choice would have killed it just as fast as giving Wolverine's role to anyone else than Hugh Jackman in X-Men. He portrays a believable man who is suddenly stuck in the "skin" of a monstrous being - or are WE the monsters for thinking him the beast?
Chris Evans brings a much needed light-hearted tongue-in-cheek humor as the fiery (*snickers*) Johnny Storm, wisecracking his way through this adventure and seducing pretty girls left and right. A definite highlight of the movie, he steals every scene he's in and is the direct reason for several rounds of open laughter across the audience.
You most definitely come to care for these people, and that's what counts. Julian McMahon definitely comes across as creepy and manipulative, though in my taste he seems to somewhat lack a bit of the grandiose and majestic luster that MAKES Von Doom who he is.
Jessica Alba was a good choice as Susan Storm, bringing both the sexy charm of her previous roles as well as the "big sister knows best" bossiness that Johnny Storm needs to keep his ADHD teenager personality in check.
Finally, Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards threw me a bit for a loop at first - he seemed to be much like Egon Spengler, utterly brilliant and totally clueless the instant human emotion comes into play, but isn't that PRECISELY the Richards we know and love? ;)

Script and faithfulness to the source: B
Once upon a time, Reed Richards took his three friends in space for a three hour tri... wait, that ain't right. Anyhoo, cosmic rays bombard our foursome and when they return to earth, they manifest bizarre powers while Ben Grimm turns into a golemlike creature made of cap'n crunch cereal.
Differences that prevent the movie from receiving a higher grade - Von Doom was aboard the station and got zapped as well, instead of blowing himself up on an experiment that Reeds warned him would fail and then retreating to a tibetan temple for a few years. Reeds and Susan Storm broke up a few years before instead of being lovebirds uninterrupted from the moment Susan was old enough to start noticing that Reeds has interesting boy parts (in the comics, she met him as a friend of her older brother Johnny when she was 12)

Special Effects: A
Flawless for my taste. Some may argue that you can tell how it was done, but my scale for CGI effectiveness goes in favor of measuring if I can enjoy the movie without stopping to consider that CGI is used. Mission accomplished! I loved the battle sequences, especially the big fight at the end. Susan's invisibility and force fields - two invisible effects - are done in a way that is quite pleasing to the eye and serve to further the movie plot and not just showcase the processing power of the CGI group's rendering computers.

Enjoyment and Fun: A
Cool powers, check.
Ben Grimm tossing cars, check.
Funny jokes, check.
"It's clobbering time!", check.
Vic Von D in full armor, check.
Jessica Alba undressing onscreen, CHECK!!!

Presence of Stan Lee: A+
He's there, he even has a line!

Overall Rating: A
This movie is bound to be a huge hit, and has billion dollar franchise written all over it - much to the benefit of all of us movie viewers, as the comic book adaptation movie style has truly achieved maturity ever since Bryan Singer directed X-Men.
Marvel won't be shelling out millions to pull THIS version off the screens!!!

Of course, this is just *my* opinion, but I really enjoyed this movie. Looking forward for a DVD loaded with extras :)

syckls
9th July 2005, 03:47 AM
Interesting; the newspapers in my town hated it. Maybe it's well worth a viewing.

Looking for a DVD loaded with extras? In these days, loaded with extras means a craptastic video game (on the DVD). That stuff they cram into the Harry Potter DVDs is BS.

Lion
9th July 2005, 04:47 AM
the extra stuff that goes on pixar DVDs is excellent though. well on monsters inc and the incredibles anyway

syckls
9th July 2005, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, I would have to agree with you on the Pixar DVDs. Very good stuff.

Purist
21st July 2005, 10:47 PM
OOOOOOOOoooooooo, I'll have to go and see this now... and when you think of all the bad press that surrounded it pre-release 8O

Jessica... I'm commming my love (not literally :? )

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 10:55 PM
I was highly disappointed with this movie...

and the bra and panty scene with jessica only lasted for like a second :(

syckls
21st July 2005, 11:00 PM
Get the UMD when it comes out and pause it (DVD is too conspicuous). :wink:

Purist
21st July 2005, 11:05 PM
and the bra and panty scene with jessica only lasted for like a second :(

Wha...... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O

*patiently waits outside the cinema til first 9am showing*

Lance
21st July 2005, 11:09 PM
i liked it.

while it's true that Victor von Doom is not as complex as i'd like and doesn't combine good and evil as equally as i'd like, i still enjoyed the whole thing a lot. Ben Grimm seemed especially good to me; Michael Chiklis did a really good job in acting the character.

Purist
21st July 2005, 11:50 PM
Any movie that employs ANY dumbing down (the THING costume) of the dreaded CGI is ok by me...

die Lucas DIE!!!!

eLhabib
21st July 2005, 11:57 PM
Ben Grimm seemed especially good to me; Michael Chiklis did a really good job in acting the character.

I don't know why, but I wasn't impressed with the 'Thing' costume at all... I mean of course it was neat, but compare that to Hellboy. Not a chance. Hellboy ought to be the movie with the slickest costume design EVER.

Drakkenmensch
21st July 2005, 11:59 PM
Michael Chiklis decided at 16 years of age that if there ever was going to be a Fantastic Four movie, HE'd be the one to play Ben Grimm. It's that sort of love and commitment to a character that allowed him to give a performance that was ROCK SOLID.

*rimshot*

Lance
22nd July 2005, 01:23 AM
[Lance's groan is heard across the street in his neighbor's house. which has the doors and windows closed.]
well done! :D

Rouni Kenshin#1
22nd July 2005, 02:05 AM
I've been thinking about seeing this movie but am not a comic fan what would your openion of it be a rent after it comes out or see it in the theaters :?:

eLhabib
22nd July 2005, 09:33 AM
if you're not a comic fan by any means - rent.

Axel
22nd July 2005, 09:36 AM
I hope you guys are right, cause the reaction from everywhere else is that this movie is not what it should be like the War of the Worlds. That movie was hmmmm at best.

eLhabib
22nd July 2005, 09:41 AM
War of the Worlds?! I ADORE this movie!

I want my own personal body-popping zap-zap-laser! :D

the end was a bit lame though, I must admit.