PDA

View Full Version : Anger management

al metro
8th July 2005, 11:04 AM
I love wipeout but it gets so frustrating sometimes, I play for about 2 hours at a time but always turn it off when something really anoys me (which happens quitte often) i end up stessed and angry but Im worryed about smashing my poor little psp to bits, has anyone got any advice for stress free racing doing the ascention leage on phantom class? i just cant do it.

Axel
8th July 2005, 11:19 AM
just keep on practising and take a break. Have you ever had this situation when you keep on trying some in wipeout and you can't acheive it. Only to come back to it later and do it first time or something like that lol. That happens to me alot, but only in wipeout!!!

infoxicated
8th July 2005, 11:25 AM
Skip Citta Nuova - I always do... the rest of them I can deal with, but I find skipping that track entirely makes for a far less stressful tourney. :)

Space Cowboy
8th July 2005, 11:44 AM
Tell me about it! The reason I've stopped playing pure is because it was more of a chore than fun. I was getting so frustrated with the game, on the one hand its a fantastic wipeout, but its let down by issues that make racing just a pain in the arse. I play games to relax and have fun, not to get aggressive and want to smash my psp into thousands of pieces! :evil:

Sausehuhn
8th July 2005, 11:49 AM
Take a break of 15 min. after every hour if you get stressed. If I'm right it's mentioned in the booklet as well. At least is was like this in the Fusion manual.

al metro
8th July 2005, 12:36 PM
I would say up to flash the game is fun, rapier is chalanging but if you want to play phantom class you have to be away from everyone and everything that could distract you (even my cat made me crash once). if i want to get more gold medals on phantom class i have to lock myself in, take the phone off the hook and concentrate like ive never concentrated before

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 01:13 PM
Well, I say don't give up. Citta Nuova used to be one of the weak points in my game, being the hardest, most technical track out there, but I decided to take measures against that.

Practice is the only way to go. You have to know the track by heart. Winning gold only once on a track is not enough to consider you mastered it. Go back to Venom (maybe even Vector) and practice CN until you get gold MOST of the time (with the occasional defeat due to bad luck) rather than having won just once through good luck. Some people say it's better to be lucky than good, but that doesn't apply in wipEout.

Once you get a majority of golds in Venom, move up to Flash and repeat. And then Rapier. And you'll be ready to tackle Phantom, which you'll have to practice repeatedly in single races before you can try to tournaments.

In higher speed classes where the computer gets magical bursts of speed out of nowhere, you can't rely on straight lines to win like you used to in Vector. Your true strength comes from being able to tackle the tricky curves at high speeds where even the AI will frequently mess up, such as the CN corkscrew. Seriously. Once you master the corkscrew, you WILL come to love that segment, as it will always mean you can build up your lead in there! Add to that the occasional lucky quake pickup, and you'll be a superior player. DO NOT use the autopilot in the corkscrew, as it will frequently ram you headlong into the advertizing panel right above the track or steer you right off the track!!!

I always gain a lot of time over the AI racers in CN during the corkscrew section - and bear in mind I'm a Piranha pilot (handling rating = 2) so clearly, the handling rating is a stat where your skill can overcome your technical limitation. It's all about the human factor, baby!!!

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th July 2005, 02:23 PM
pratice to win but go play the tracks that you think are fun. :D

and i don't know why you are using any ship with a handling of 2.(i use hamiru 4) :roll:

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 02:39 PM
I was a Harimau man myself at first when my piloting skills weren't all that great - I pretty much relied on the ship's handling to make up for my sloppy piloting. Then one day something just CLICKED in my head and I could do things I couldn't imagine. Every curve was mine to devour, and I could really let loose with the fastest ship out there that had some SHIELDS to speak of - PIRANHA.

I mean, forget Zone and Medievel. A ship made of cardboard and duct tape just won't survive two turns in Rapier or Phantom.

Once that little trigger CLICKS in your mind, you reach a Zen state where the ship's handling matters no more. You're not piloting the ship anymore, you ARE the ship. You are the track. You are the rocket that blasts that annoying Triakis into a smoking crater!

You have become a SPEED DEMON!!! :twisted:

Curved
8th July 2005, 02:43 PM
lol @ drakken

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th July 2005, 03:40 PM
the handeling helped me get every gold possible i beat the game. 8)

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:13 PM
rofl

a ship made of cardboard and tape?

rofl

syckls
8th July 2005, 04:14 PM
Eventually, Phantom will become easy. Although if you're looking for a real challenge and some impressive thrills, race on Vector for about two hours and then immediately play Phantom Ascension. The speed is jaw-dropping.

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:21 PM
I found that playing some WO Fusion before playing WO:P helped me a lot... I was having an easier time handling the curves on Pure.

G'Kyl
9th July 2005, 08:23 AM
Drakkenmensch: Objection! ;) I hardly let the nice zone ship fly apart, even under heavy attack. What I do is absorb most of the weapons and not use them, in fact, I think I would even like to go without them and just do the racing. :) Anyway, as long as my ship holds it together I'll stick to zone. Its more agile and, most of all, faster - what more reason is there to stick to the brick? :-( (I really should write a swan song for Qirex.)

Oh, and just one idea for those having difficulties with one track or another: Try out new strategies. Use the slide - or don't, slow down before turns - or don't, that sort of things. And don't start worrying about your position when the race starts. If you keep going steady you'll end up in a top position after lap 5.

Ben

eLhabib
9th July 2005, 10:39 AM
the zone ship is actually inferior to Piranha, Qirex, Assegai, and Medievil, when it comes to accelerating out of turns.

stin
9th July 2005, 07:25 PM
8O

G'Kyl, As you were saying over Bric.....eeerrrmmm.....Qirex! :roll: will guarrateed to win in certain tracks?

stevie :)

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th July 2005, 12:12 AM
zone is just too fragile. the wepons you absorb are wasted when you can get a better preformance out of other ships.

at times the wepons can make the difference!!!

Drakkenmensch
10th July 2005, 12:17 AM
That's the reason why I quit playing with the Zone ship other than for time trials. I was tired of absorbing one good weapon after another just to stay alive.

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th July 2005, 12:21 AM
I use it for TTs also but stick with my harimu for racing.

though i sometimes use tigron. 8)

G'Kyl
10th July 2005, 07:12 AM
at times the wepons can make the difference!!!

I know, I know. :) But I like the racing part more than the shooting, so that's why at some point I don't care about weapons, even though I leave them turned on. And it's not just using weapon after weapon to stay alive, Drakkenmensch. Some of them I use whenever I get them - some I don't like anyway. ;)

eLhabib: Zone might not be as perfetct as Piranha XL, but it still got the best overall performance, I think. Its "not accelerating as fast as others" is made up by the fact that it takes less time to turn the damn craft into the corner in the first place. Or at least in some of the closer turns. I found this more convenient than slower top speeds.

Ben

eLhabib
10th July 2005, 12:59 PM
well once your own turning skill reach a certain level, it doesn't matter anymore what turning ability the ship has. I found that on most tracks, the top speed isn't THAT important either, that's why I stick with Assegai (and for design reasons) - it has THE.BEST. acceleration out of sharp turns, and on most of the tracks that's the most important thing. Of course my assegai won't stand a chance against a zone or piranha on vineta or staten.

Rouni Kenshin#1
10th July 2005, 03:22 PM
the acceleration is everthying, though i like good handling, speed just is not that important.

the zone just falls apart too easy.

G'Kyl
10th July 2005, 11:02 PM
Thing is, I have chosen craft for the simple reason of being the fastest out of the bunch from whatever game I played for years. Wipeout always boiled down to being the most challenging of the fast racers for me, so that's why I chose Zone. The only reason I never changed to XL Piranha after I unlocked it is that it feels too different from the rest of the game.

Ben

Rouni Kenshin#1
11th July 2005, 02:21 PM
thats because you spent your time on the zone.

it's almost perfect stats give it a fealling that is totally different frome the others.

syckls
11th July 2005, 02:30 PM
I've found that Free Play is definitely the most effective training mode in the game. You can do it as long as you want without interruptions, and plus each lap counts exactly the same as a Time Trial lap, which can be useful for when you actually do the Time Trial in that you have a good ghost to race against. In fact, after 97 laps last night I beat the lap record for Blue Ridge and I will submit the ghost to the Ghost Challenge site very shortly.

G'Kyl
11th July 2005, 06:17 PM
thats because you spent your time on the zone.

Not as much as you might think. I tried every ship except Medieval before I decided to stick with Zone.

it's almost perfect stats give it a fealling that is totally different frome the others.

I wouldn't say so. Piranha is different, while Zone is just slightly better than the rest (in theory). Its stats my be perfect, but they are nothing compared to what perfect stats did in XL.

Ben

Rouni Kenshin#1
11th July 2005, 09:11 PM
You tred them out before you stuck with zone. :evil:

you must stick with a ship before you understan it' strong points and why it is good.

not just the zone but most ship feel different and fly different.

just focusing on one will make the others, which you dident really race enught to figure out , seem slow or unresponsive.

G'Kyl
11th July 2005, 09:45 PM
Well... of course you got a point; The longer you fly a ship the better you do understand its every detail. But I have also played every Wipeout game so far and rest assured, I did a good amount of laps on every Pure craft, so I do believe me holding the flag up for Zone isn't a more premature choice than you flying another ship. :) Eventually you do have to make a decision, though

Ben

Drakkenmensch
12th July 2005, 01:48 AM
Yesterday: Tried Sol2 on Phantom over and over, could barely do better than silver - if I got that much.

Today: After spending 50 laps on Freeplay, I tried single race again and won gold on the FIRST TRY.

Anyone else still thinking that freeplay is a waste of time? ;)

EDIT: 50 laps in freeplay for Phantom class Sebenco Climb - Gold medal on the first try in single race, DESPITE the autopilot running me CLEAR OFF THE TRACK on TWO occasions!

syckls
12th July 2005, 02:50 AM
Glad to be of help. :wink:

It looks like I've really started something here! Check the last few posts of Gamma Tracks TTs.