PDA

View Full Version : Class Action Suit...

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 01:36 AM
... against the makers of the AUTOPILOT program!

Now, is it just me, or does that thing seem to have been created by the LOWEST BIDDER? I just lost a race in Phantom class on the Modesto Heights track after the AP tried to take a shortcut through the city on the last turn leading to the finish line (I was still flying from the jump) and upon being teleported back on the track, I instantly exploded from lack of shield energy.

*walks into his attorney's office with his cracked helmet under his arm, racing uniform half burnt off and still smoldering in spots, just HOPING that the receptionnist will ask 'what's this about?'*

syckls
8th July 2005, 03:42 AM
You wanna hear my autopilot story? I was riding down Citta Nuova and I saw I had plenty of room to spare coming onto the hairpin turn so I used my autopilot. It ran me up the dividing wall and tossed me upside down. When I finally recovered after five seconds like that, I exploded. Wanna hear another? Okay. When I was on Chenghou Project I activated my autopilot coming into the big huge drop. As soon as it ended, it suddenly jerked me off to the leftand out of the course. It was for that reason that I got second place.

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 03:51 AM
My favorite story of the autopilot handing me back the controls just in time for a total catastrophe is in Sinucit, where it left me - yes, you guessed it! Headed STRAIGHT into the pit where the road splits in two near the beginning of the track, with no time to brake or veer off to the side!

No wait! I can top that! In Chengou Project, I used the autopilot near the 90 degree left turn and was left off the autopilot on the section where there's no railguard a bit further down - and straight into a series of mines. The first one knocked me offside, and down off the track. I teleported back on the track at full speed - STRAIGHT INTO ANOTHER MINE. I fall off *AGAIN*. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! If you can't guess what happened next, you haven't been paying attention up to this point. Yes, THIRD TIME DOWN.

Using the autopilot is always a big risk. Make sure your legal will is up to date before you hit the square button.

syckls
8th July 2005, 04:16 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence... they may be trying to weed out the wimpy racers in order to create a new, tougher breed in preparation for the opening of the much-rumored about SECRET SPEED CLASS!!!111 lik omg i think its called phantasm

I really hate how they say that in every freaking manual.

al metro
8th July 2005, 10:56 AM
I was near the end of sol 2 and the auto pilot took me way over to the side of the track into a bomb and the I fell of the side of the course, I nearly broke my psp in frustration

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th July 2005, 02:15 PM
don't think it's a coincidence... they may be trying to weed out the wimpy racers in order to create a new, tougher breed in preparation for the opening of the much-rumored about SECRET SPEED CLASS!!!111 lik omg i think its called phantasm

just so you know that "secret speed class" is not a secret!! :x

it's the 5th speet nothing new.

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 02:23 PM
Well of course everybody in here knows about Phantom class - he was just making a joke about how every instruction manual in every racing game ever made would just HINT at a "super secret speed class for expert pilots zOMG ITS SECERT!!!11eleven" as a way to goad players into playing PAST the first set of slow tracks.

eLhabib
8th July 2005, 03:12 PM
SECRET SPEED CLASS!!!111 lik omg i think its called phantasm

I really hate how they say that in every freaking manual.

ROFL! so true man, so true!

Colin Berry
8th July 2005, 03:28 PM
I have to say that was nothing to do with me.....

..ok

it was

and its cheesy I know, but hey just think how excited all the first time player would be :lol:

Mobius
8th July 2005, 03:46 PM
I suddenly thought there was a 6th speed class there 8O

Anyway, you thinkt here autopilot is a bit dodgy so it makes you think twice about using it perhaps?

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:08 PM
man... I have learned to wean myself off the AP... It always slams me into walls, or directs me into mines and bombs. Not only that, my AP wimps out when battling for a spot near the end of the race... the other AG ships slam my ship into the walls and pass me :evil:

Sausehuhn
8th July 2005, 04:21 PM
I like the autopilot in Wip3out, but in Fusion it sucks. It slows you down and lets the craft crash into walls. After this experience I'm careful with using the autopilot in WipEout games.

PS: In WipEout 2097/XL the autopilots finishs in curves most of the time. That's the reason why you crash into walls when the autopilot ends. Just press square when you don't need the autopilot anymore - so you won't crah into a side panel.
It's also good when you just need the autopilot for one curve :D

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:31 PM
Sause, did you mean to say WipeOut: Pure instead of Fusion?

I remember that Wip3Out had the best AP ever... it finished curves for you, sending you barreling down the track... I haven't unlocked it on Fusion yet :o

Sausehuhn
8th July 2005, 04:47 PM
No, no, I meant Fusion. I just wanted to say that autopilots don't help every time. I often just use them for one or two corners because they slow you down or make you crashing into walls (even the Wip3out autopilot). I haven't Pure yet (*waits for the 1st septembre*) so I can't say anything about the Pure autopilot. I just saw it in movies - and according to the last posts the autopilot in Pure has the same issues like in the other games.
___

Hehe, you haven't unlocked the autopilot in Fusion yet? Don't give a damn about that! You won't use it ever if you want to fly without problems.
One time I used the autopilot while passing by the pit lane. Then the pilot turned around to the pit's entrance, made 360° turnes, crashed into the side panels and did all just didn't bring the craft into the pit :dizzy
So.... don't use it :D

Kansas
8th July 2005, 04:51 PM
HA! HA! HA!

that's awesome.

:dizzy

syckls
8th July 2005, 07:04 PM
I've done it! I've created a joke on this board! The rite of passage has at last been completed.

Drakkenmensch
9th July 2005, 02:21 AM
Okay, NEW crazy AP story to relate, happened to me just now!

On Sinucit at Phantom class, I activate the AP to take the last few curves leading to the jump before the finish line... and while I take the jump, the autopilot SPONTANEOUSLY DOES A BARREL ROLL!!!

Crazy stuff.

EDIT: The thought occurs that I may have tapped in the barrel roll command by accident, thus demonstrating you can STILL do a BR while under AP control. Anyone tried that who can confirm this?

Sven
9th July 2005, 03:26 AM
Actually, that happened to me once. I figured it was because the autopilot was tweaking the flight path, and it happened to tweak it left-right-left, if you get my meaning. But I don't know.

syckls
9th July 2005, 03:42 AM
Yes, the autopilot can initiate a barrel roll by alternating direction like that.

Drakkenmensch
9th July 2005, 03:43 AM
I agree - the AP was dodging left and right since there were three other AI pilots in the area and the situation was really nasty at the time.

That does make a lot of sense!

G'Kyl
9th July 2005, 07:54 AM
Kansas: I don't find the AP as bad as you say. It's weaker than its ancestors and makes mistakes, but if you know when and where to use it, it can help you pass half the field. On the other hand: Not being a perfect means to correct ANY of your mistakes actually is a good thing. ;) Althought I DO like going at turbo speed into the first turn at Gare d'Europa and then hit the AP. :)

Ben

Drakkenmensch
9th July 2005, 12:12 PM
Going at turbo speed while ramming into a wall and hitting the AP button at the last second has a different effect depending on which game you're in:

2097/XL: The AP miraculously overrides the laws of physics and corrects your direction flawlessly, allowing to take the turn to perfection and double all your opponents

Pure: You slam into the wall and lose several precious seconds of your AP while it wonders what exactly it's supposed to do

Kansas
9th July 2005, 02:48 PM
both of you posted good posts. :dizzy

But, man... that crazy AP does things to you...

syckls
9th July 2005, 06:15 PM
Jokes aside, I think that the autopilot in Pure is more realistic than in earlier games. While in Pure it is not unlikely to run into walls and such, in other games you would get perfect steering and considerably lower speed. I don't believe that an actual autopilot would slow down your craft that much... unless it so relatively primitive that it can't function properly without a slower speed.

Sausehuhn
9th July 2005, 07:02 PM
What I've seen and heard so far I think Pure is the game that is the most realistic of the whole series. 8)

Sven
10th July 2005, 01:26 AM
A couple things I like about the autopilot...For one, it'll give you a boost in accelaration if you activate it after you've hit a wall or something. Second, it actually hands back control of the ship in a way that lets you actually control it...in XL and 3, I'd usually hit a wall after an autopilot disengaged, but now I can just flow with it.

G'Kyl
10th July 2005, 06:59 AM
Second, it actually hands back control of the ship in a way that lets you actually control it

Or at least most of the time... ;) While in XL it was a matter of practice to learn when it was best to turn off AP and in 3 it got turned off at predefined, save spots, with Pure-AP I found myself in various situations that gave me no chance to avoid hitting a wall or falling off the track. In this regard, I think I liked the AP from 3 best. Pure's still works a lot more realistically and more balanced for the game, of course. :)

Ben

Sausehuhn
10th July 2005, 12:00 PM
in XL and 3, I'd usually hit a wall after an autopilot disengaged
deactivate it before the last corner with square. So you won't have the problem you've mentioned :)

Megatron42
13th July 2005, 09:53 PM
Man, it's so hard going from XL's AP to Pure's...I miss its noclip, high-speed, physics defying craziness. They should have just changed Pure's autopilot symbol to a lowercase 'e' and get over it, cuz absorbing is all I do with it these days :D

Although I do have to admit it works on the chicane of Karbonis quite well...perhaps its one redeeming quality.

Rouni Kenshin#1
13th July 2005, 11:39 PM
It's a computer that is politing the ship, theroeticely, so it picks the most advantages path.

but the point of downsizing the ai is to keep the pilot from relying on ti.

Drakkenmensch
14th July 2005, 01:31 AM
You also have to consider that if you fly into a wall at 700 mph and click in the autopilot with 0.35 seconds to go before impact, even the best AI cannot override the laws of physics to avoid the crash.

Except the Wipeout XL AI. Man, we should find which subcontractant built THAT autopilot, that was pure gold! It could override reality to save your skin!

phoenixx
14th July 2005, 09:33 AM
Although I liked the phenomenon in earlier wipeouts that you could activate AP 1m before hitting the wall and it steered you perfectly without touching. I tried that in pure and wondered why I smashed into the wall.

Zero [RG] [HG]
15th July 2005, 01:19 AM
In WipEout XL I was so close to hitting a wall, activated Auto, and.. bang. The AP took me STRAIGHT THROUGH the wall, and back onto the track. I was at least ten feet away from the track when it finally steered me back onto it.

Rouni Kenshin#1
15th July 2005, 05:55 PM
that's nuts :lol:

Lion
6th August 2005, 12:38 AM
sorry to dredge an aging topic...
the same people must be making the pure AP as made the fusion one...
I don't know the track names as lastnight was really my first extended play session of fusion (so angry)... Anyway; on one of the tracks there's a part where you can drop down and take a lower path that's absolutely loaded with speed pads. I was hit by something that slowed me to a crawl just before that drop and I activated the AP to get going again.
the AP dropped me down to the lower track, turned around, and drove the wrong way into the wall at the bottom of the drop (about a 10m drop?). it sat there going from one side of the track to the other against that wall until it wore off, by which time I had gone from first to 7th

I bought fusion basically because it's the only wipeout I didn't have. now it looks like it's going to remain the wipeout that I do not play, but when that happened I instantly thought of this topic :P

Animagic
6th August 2005, 04:06 AM
ooh fun, old topics! :D

do what I do when it comes to the autopilot....

absorb, absorb, absorb....

fusionfrenzy
6th August 2005, 05:55 PM
The Autopilot is better than in 3 of fusion, admitedly. The wo3 one used to steer me through the wall to stop me going through the pit lane, if I activate it upon entry.

Though I still dont think much of it. My stat screen says it all:

Autopilots Used: 3
Autopilots Absorbed: 456

:?