PDA

View Full Version : negcon users

djb
7th July 2005, 08:55 PM
hey you lot!, id like to know if any die hard negcon users amongst us, who have played wipeout pure, found the psp controls any good? i dont have pure yet, it looks great, but i cant come to terms with getting used to an inferior control method for the sake of a nice looking game, ive got a feeling its going to frustrate the hell out of me. is the lack of negcon control putting anyone else off buying pure? or am i being too critical? hope someone can advise me on this. cheers chaps!

syckls
7th July 2005, 11:17 PM
Let me put it this way: if you even think Wipeout as a series is "okay" and not "good" as it should be, you should get Pure.

element42
8th July 2005, 07:19 AM
I'm with djb on this one. I've played Pure a few times on a friends machine and just couldn't get used to not twisting to turn. Apart from the fear that I'll snap the damn thing in half, it just isn't...right. But seriously, we all know that Pure is great, but is it worth shelling out £200 on a new Wipeout that doesn't support negcon? The only reason I'd get a PSP is to play wipeout... but i'm going to be annoyed if I can't get used to the d-pad or that funny analogue bit. Is it possible to be a 'committed' :wink: negcon user and still love Pure?

al metro
8th July 2005, 10:45 AM
I ordered a psp just to play wipeout pure and its well worth the money, the analog is a bit hard to use but its its easy using the d-pad once you get used to it. Ive been a fan of wipeout from the begining and ive got to say this is the best one by far, ive recently downloaded gamma pack 1+2 which enables you to get 30 more gold medals, with the music downloads and music mixer on the way the game seems limitless

uberweng
8th July 2005, 11:34 AM
I dont regret buying a psp to play wipeout. i would like to play with a negcon if that were somehow possible but you get used to the nub pretty quickly and the "inferior control system " is outweighed by the smegload of track and craft, amazing graphics and sound and all round quality of the product.

I say go for it.

Drakkenmensch
8th July 2005, 12:59 PM
There is only one "inferior" thing about the control system, if you're having trouble steering, and it's located twelve inches away from the PSP. Those who have trouble understanding what I'm referring to should look into the mirror to see it.

Yes, I meant the player. Look at it this way - for a while I played on the analog nub, but eventually returned to the D-pad and I'm finding myself battling through Phantom class - with the PIRANHA craft who has the WORST handling rating (equalled only by Triakis) - and I'm slowly winning. I got Alpha tournament GOLD last night, you don't get victories at THIS level of speed with an "inferior control system."

"Inferior", you say?

I say KEEP PRACTICING.

It's the Way to Carnegie Hall, folks.

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th July 2005, 02:18 PM
use the nub don't create bad habits!!!

it will pay off

djb
8th July 2005, 08:52 PM
just to make myself clearer, the depth of control in the game when using a negcon, as anyone who has used one for a number of years will testify, cannot be equalled with the d-pad, id rather come in second after having an exceptionally immersive flying experience, than achieve a gold through the "monkey input" as i like to think of it (referring to the d-pad here) im not interested in the speed, but the quality of control when using the "nub"

G'Kyl
9th July 2005, 08:11 AM
Well, I am one of the (many) neGcon fanatics around here, and I have to say I am most happy with that PSP analog nub. Of course, the PSP is no neg and doesn't even come close to handling like one! In fact, I can almost see the seconds I would gain with a neg... which can be dissapointing at times. However, the way the game feels and plays still is fantastic and I strongly recommend not to miss Pure because of the no-neGcon-compatibility. It's a handheld, that's for sure, but as soon as you get on track, you'll mostly forget about that.

Ben

djb
9th July 2005, 11:28 AM
thanks G'Kyl, thats the advice i was looking for :wink: