PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Olympics

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2005, 10:51 AM
The voting has just closed for the host city for the 2012 Olympics, and it's between Paris and London. The result will be announced between 12:25 and 12:45 GMT. Come on London! :)

I haven't been this nervous over a sporting event since the Championship Play-off Final in May. I live right next to Stratford, so if we get it, my house price will sky-rocket and I'll be able to get out of here! :lol:

element42
6th July 2005, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't get too excited. The Mayans predicted the fall of civilisation as we know it for 2012 and I'm inclined to believe them... :roll:

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2005, 11:55 AM
YEEESSSSS!!!! WE'VE GOT IT!!!! I can feel my property value going up as we speak!! :D :D

lunar
6th July 2005, 12:01 PM
Yes, congrats Charlie, but there goes the neighborhood. I`d sell up and move out fast before you get a load of bug-eyed steroid-crazed weightlifters moving in next door. Alternatively you might get the Brazilian synchronized swimming team, so maybe hang on for a bit.

Ah well, tears in the Seine, champagne in the Thames, Chirac choaks on his cuisine and Tony Blair will take the gold medal in irritating smuggery.

I thought I didn`t care about the result, but I must admit it has put a smile on face.

:D

element42
6th July 2005, 12:02 PM
well don't say I didn't warn you. :wink:

phoenixx
6th July 2005, 12:21 PM
congratulations to London! :D

Leftism
6th July 2005, 01:41 PM
Congrats on London becoming even more overpriced, as well as your transport reducing to meltdown. I'm not in London so I'm not too fussed. YAY! :lol:

Space Cowboy
6th July 2005, 02:12 PM
hehehe.. I cant believe they decided to host the 2012's in that dump! (Apologies to any London'ers)
How are they going to cope with all the traffic? Its already a bloddy nightmare getting around The Big Smoke. And what about all the muggers and rapists? They are gonna have a field day with all the new tourists that will be coming.
Paris would have been such a classier venue for such a prestigious event.

In many ways its the equivilent of holding the FX300 in Dudley.

Drakkenmensch
6th July 2005, 02:26 PM
And what about all the muggers and rapists?

I agree - with all the tourists flying in, there's not going to be enough muggers to answer to the sharp increase in offer. Since New York lost their bid to host the games, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to fly in a contingent of emergency muggers and pickpockets to pick up the slack.

infoxicated
6th July 2005, 02:27 PM
I'd have to strongly disagree with the "muggers and rapists" comment - I don't believe London is more abundant in that department than any other big city. In my two years living there I wasn't mugged or raped once, and I I'm not exactly in the Vin Deisel category when it comes to build, either.

I'm not so sure London is the best place to hold an Olympics, though - the infrastructure is working at over capacity almost every day of the week without the influx in visitors that would come with holding an event of that nature.

I bet the tube workers of 2012 will be rubbing their hands in glee - it'll be Strike-tacular baby! Couple of city crippling days should have them a new pay deal in no time at all if they do it in the run-up to the olympics. :)

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2005, 02:36 PM
Don't give them ideas, I've been screwed by London Underground on more than one occassion.... :wink:

What a lot of people who were against the Olympic bid seemed to forget is the collosal amount of revenue that the games will bring into not just London, but the whole UK. For starters, Stratford is in desperate need of regeneration as is the London transport system. Both will need to be sorted before the start of the games, but once they do take place, the income from the event will pay for it many times over. And a large income is what this country desperately needs.. Anyone who opposed the bid on the grounds that "it will only benefit London, why should I care?" is extremely short sighted.

Mobius
6th July 2005, 02:40 PM
The traffic infrastrucure has been out of date for ages, and ken livingston and his mob have always said that they would get round to it, not they have an actual deadline to get it done.

I will be 22 by then, i could get there easily enough.

Just what i have noticed. Why is it anyone who doesn't live in the Greater London area seem really negative we are holding it?

Drakkenmensch
6th July 2005, 03:32 PM
I believe that it's called jealousy ;)

phoenixx
6th July 2005, 03:41 PM
Because of the world soccer championship we have fantastic new stadiums in Germany.
And there's a certain feeling about it. I believe it's a positive thing.
@ Mobius: At least they will improve the infrastructure.

Thruster2097
6th July 2005, 09:09 PM
London wins 2012 bid. Paris surrenders.

:lol:

I love fark!!!!

Axel
6th July 2005, 09:33 PM
Hehehe another victory for the English :P lol. Seriously that means I'm gonna have to fork out £40 over the years for this thing. I better get rich off it!

Lance
6th July 2005, 09:45 PM
yep, maybe it will bring money to the merchants when it finally opens, but for the next 7 years everybody else will be paying for all the new goodies. as if you didn't have high enough taxes in Britland already

Rapier Racer
6th July 2005, 10:59 PM
Did someone mention London Underground lol

http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=096XLSEHMVID23SDQT5XT3S9PL

The Olympics eh, aboot time something good came to this country, I wonder if they'll have closed roof stadiums to prevent soakage from the pissing rain

Hellfire_WZ
7th July 2005, 08:02 AM
Already got that in my iTunes playlist :lol: I can't remember where exactly, but the plans for the regeneration project are floating about somewhere online, and Stratford will be completely unrecognisable when it's done. It's really quite spectacular. On an equally light note, there's talk of house prices in the surrounding area going up by as much as 60%! I'm sitting on a gold mine here! :D

Hellfire_WZ
7th July 2005, 09:28 AM
Well **** the transport now, there's been explosions all over London!! Look at the news now!