PDA

View Full Version : FX300 League

Curved
5th July 2005, 03:52 PM
I was just tossing around the idea of making a real FX300 racing league. Games would be played through XLink. The teams of the league would be limited to using only their team's ship.

(EDIT)

Everyone who is interested give me a mail at curvedinfinity@hotmail.com, subject: "FX300: [which team you want to be on]", with what your wipeoutzone forum name is, your XLink name, and what your XLink status is (dont have a router, have played online before, etc.).

Sausehuhn
5th July 2005, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the forums at 1st!!

2. Sounds cool. Really. But you should create a kind of system. Maybe specific races or leagues and a point table.
Maybe also race times etc.

3. I think this is a thread made for "The Pilots Lounge", because it's more a competition than a discussion.

4. I would like to join the league, but I have no PSP yet :(

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 04:13 PM
I for one would definitely be interested, but I lack a wireless network card at the moment. Which version were you going to do it with though?

Curved
5th July 2005, 04:37 PM
Initially, the system will be very simple to facilitate the low player-base. Essentially, every week is a single round. A certain number of players from each team take part in each round, where a round is where everyone participating in the round does a single phantom ascension tournement game with another member of his team and up to three other pairs. The team with the most points at the end of the round (which is the sum of all of its pilots scores) wins the round.

Eventually, the individual games will use two teams of four instead of four teams of two.

Until there are enough players to do this, the rules will be made up before the start of the weekly round.

Also, I believe that though this does pertain to competition, this post will recieve a more interested audience here, so that is why I posted it. Please feel free to move it if need be.

Kansas
5th July 2005, 04:37 PM
How would this work?

How could it be set up?

Curved
5th July 2005, 04:57 PM
Well, if there are enough interested people, I will setup a forum that will moderate the league. Pilots will be able to talk with their team and check out the current round's schedule there.

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 05:17 PM
Remember you'd have to account for people owning different versions of the game, as Japanese and US versions are not compatible with each other. It may be difficult to accommodate everyone.

Kansas
5th July 2005, 05:28 PM
but how would this work?

would it be something where people post their race times?

would it be something where people in the same area meet and race each other?

or, would it be entirely online via the Internet? Is it possible to play people online using the PSP? (I'm not talking about W LAN)

Sausehuhn
5th July 2005, 05:33 PM
I think the US version is the one most of the people have. And most of the people who have the JAP version also have a US version, so that wouldn't be a big problem.
Also something like
"The FX300 league is momentary just available for pilots playing the US version"
should solve the problem.

Curved
5th July 2005, 05:35 PM
At least for the begin, games will be played on the US version.

Sausehuhn
5th July 2005, 05:37 PM
or, would it be entirely online via the Internet? Is it possible to play people online using the PSP? (I'm not talking about W LAN)
I think it's planned with W LAN. That's the only way to play online. WipEout Pure is not playable online naturally, but with a software like Xlink it is.
Wow, playing WipEout just against real rivals must be awesome! Not these people who blow up after the 1st corner :wink:

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 06:03 PM
Makes sense to start with the US version I guess. Okay, I'll keep tabs on this anyway, I'm really interested to see how it turns out. It'll give me a chance to get an adapter as well.

lunar
5th July 2005, 06:18 PM
I`m definitely up for it - assuming I can get online when my usb adapter arrives.

Kansas
5th July 2005, 06:20 PM
Where can I sign up for Team Assegai? :)

eLhabib
5th July 2005, 06:42 PM
me too! and an adapter! :D

Curved
5th July 2005, 07:00 PM
Actually, I believe you dont need an adapter of any sort. I believe the simplist solution is getting a wireless router. -- You would just hook up your computer via 10/100 and your PSP via wifi to the router and turn on XLink.

Currently, I can get XLink to recognize my PSP with this config, but I havent been able to connect to any games with it yet.

Lion
5th July 2005, 07:18 PM
I connect through my mac as instructed here (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2266) and it works sweet :D
and I am definitely keen, where do I sign up?

Curved
5th July 2005, 07:44 PM
How about everyone who is interested give me a mail at curvedinfinity@hotmail.com, subject: "FX300: [which team you want to be on]", with what your wipeoutzone forum name is, your XLink name, and what your XLink status is (dont have a router, have played online before, etc.).

Curved
5th July 2005, 09:34 PM
Just an update: I got Kai working, so it should all be cool.

Just fyi, I am using two wifi devices to do it -- one for ad-hoc connection to the PSP and one for connecting to my router.

Just realize if your existing wireless device is the same one you use to connect to the internet, it will not work and you will either have to get another one, or use ethernet. I happened to have another wifi interface around, so I used that and it works quite well.

Kansas
5th July 2005, 10:08 PM
Actually, I believe you dont need an adapter of any sort. I believe the simplist solution is getting a wireless router. -- You would just hook up your computer via 10/100 and your PSP via wifi to the router and turn on XLink.

Currently, I can get XLink to recognize my PSP with this config, but I havent been able to connect to any games with it yet.

could you please explain this to me in simpler terms? I am not that computer savvy and I would appreciate an explanation as to how I can connect my PSP to the Internet via my computer.

Curved
5th July 2005, 10:31 PM
Im no IT expert either --

I followed
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=d2b7f400b97cc0b9cf48199cbc907586

and then hacked at it until it worked.

I ended up finding that yes you do need a wireless adapter, or you can do that linksys router trick. Otherwise, from what I can tell, your computer will need a wireless interface and some other sort of network device. 10/100 ethernet would be fine for the second one. You setup the wireless device as that link specifies, and then hook up the other network device so that you can access the internet. After you have both of those devices working at the same time on your computer, just turn on Kai and it does the rest.

Curved
6th July 2005, 02:35 AM
Alright, I got a forum up, but please excuse the fact that it is quite crappy.

http://s12.invisionfree.com/fx300/

I also took the liberty of scheduling an opening night for this friday at 10:00 PM GMT in the Wipeout Pure XLink Kai room. -- You dont have to play to come, it will just be a get together to see how many people are interested (and perhaps try to help you to play if you cant).

Pass the word around and start recruiting for your team.

Lion
6th July 2005, 06:18 AM
joined the forum and sent you a mail. will try to be awake by 10am saturday (my time) to be in the room :)

Sausehuhn
6th July 2005, 10:02 AM
Here's just a small advice:

Before the league starts I would make a short online-check. Maybe a date where everybody who wants to join the league goes online and checks if the PSP really conects with all the others.

Wouldn't be such a great situation when the league starts and the half of the pilots can not start...

Curved
6th July 2005, 11:20 AM
Friday is this check you speak of. A round will not begin until enough teams have been created. Friday is the day where you can meet the people who will be on your team and possibly decide who your representative is. Because myself and others will have Kai setup already, people will also recieve alot of advice as to how you get it all working.

Hope to see you there.

eLhabib
6th July 2005, 12:26 PM
damn, looks like I really have to hurry up and get my wireless adapter now!

edit: got my w-lan pci card (40 EUROS! HOLY BANANA!) - now I just gotta get it to work... *crosses fingers*

another edit: still needs alot of fiddling around. maybe if someone who has also connected his PC to the net via usb modem, and has a pci wireless card for the PSP installed, could tell me his setup or lets meet on kai...

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2005, 07:25 PM
That's the setup I'll be using. If I can get it working I'll give you the config, but it may be a little while yet. On the other hand, if you get yours going before then could you give me your config?

Sausehuhn
6th July 2005, 08:18 PM
Some people have their PSP but no Wireles Lan
and I have my Wireles Lan but no PSP :(

Hope this kind of contest will be available for the EURO version, too. I would like to take part!!

Hybrid Divide
6th July 2005, 08:43 PM
I should be getting a wireless card in a few weeks, when I do, count me in.

Now to decide... FEISAR, Assegai, or Zone....

Decisions decisions... :D

Any idea what classes these races would be in? Rapier? Phantom?

Hellfire_WZ
6th July 2005, 08:52 PM
I'd imagine if it's a full season that it'll range over all classes. Maybe captains will be able to assign team members to certain classes based on their abilities.

Curved
7th July 2005, 01:25 AM
http://s12.invisionfree.com/fx300/index.php?showtopic=1&st=0 might answer some questions.

Curved
8th July 2005, 12:43 AM
I was thinking about the whole forum thing that I setup, and I have decided that it makes everyone go out of their way to get the information they want. I’ve decided that a more Usenet-style Google group would be easier for everyone to get what they need -- you will be able to just take a peek at what events are coming up, or join it and have everything delivered to your mailbox (only admins are allowed to post, so no spam). That way there is one less website you will have to troll if you are interested in just competitive racing. To add, the captains of the teams could setup similar groups, so the entire thing could potentially be email based, which I believe is a much more fluid and efficient system. I want to make this system as easy as possible for everyone; the goal is to give as many casual players as possible the opportunity to play on a team competitively (more info on that tomorrow).

Here's the group:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/FX300

You can join it at your whim, or just check in to see if there is something happening.

Hope to see everyone on Kai (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/) tomorrow -- I will help people with setting up online play if anyone needs it.

Rouni Kenshin#1
8th July 2005, 02:03 AM
hay do you have to have a wireless internet router to join this or can someone with no wi-fi hot spots near them also do it? :?:

Curved
8th July 2005, 02:09 AM
You need a wireless adapter -- which is all of $10 ( http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=wifi&scoring=p )

Just make sure it supports ad-hoc networking

syckls
8th July 2005, 03:48 AM
Make absolutely sure before you buy the wireless adapter that it has been confirmed to work with Xlink Kai or you will regret your purchase.

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11469&sid=7c64567734ecff78bab3f610d256c63f

Curved
8th July 2005, 02:43 PM
So -- who am I going to see tonight?

(Im on kai as we speak)

Remember, you wont have to play (if you cant).

eLhabib
8th July 2005, 03:26 PM
I'm gonna be there fo' sho!

Bunny
8th July 2005, 04:30 PM
This is all very interesting. I was just thinking, the other week, about trying Kai. Curved - can you keep posting how this all turns out.

Sausehuhn
8th July 2005, 04:32 PM
Welcome back Bunny :D

Curved
8th July 2005, 08:00 PM
One hour warning -- just remember, even if you are interested at all, you should probably come just to see what it is like.

Ill give everyone a quick little tutorial on Kai, so everyone has no problems getting in:

First download and install the client at http://www.teamxlink.co.uk

After it is installed and you just want to chat, you can just turn it on and follow the rest of my instructions, if you will be wanting to play, more setup is required, so skip to the link at the end of this.

Start the program up, and you will see a number of buttons at the top of the pane. Click the world; this is puts kai in arena mode

navigate through the menu: psp->wipeout: pure

Click on the folder icon at the top until you see the people in the room.

Open the chat pane by clicking on the thin vertical arrow button on the right side of the window.

Say Hi. :P

If you want to try to play, setup can take some time. This post on the XLink forum has a pretty good walkthrough: http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=61ecc4a983a2515eea089880d49e4b6e

Curved
8th July 2005, 11:56 PM
Hehe, that was quite an awesome few games. Lion, Hellfire, and eLhabib were there, though only Lion had play capabilities up and running. There were a few other people there, though, so it was great. We had a number of four-player games.

It looks like we might get some people from gamefaqs as well in the league, so join and represent your forum! ;)

The opening round's time is up -- its tomorrow, so if you want to start in the competition, thats the place.

Once again, the place to go for event information is http://groups-beta.google.com/group/FX300

Lion
9th July 2005, 03:36 AM
...though only Lion had play capabilities up and running.that's a little misleading, I was the only person capable of hosting for some weird reason, but most people were able to join.
I need to put some time into opening phantom as at the moment my only having upto rapier alpha available is a bit of a restraint
also the lag with me being on the other side of the world hurt a little and was likely the primary cause of the not-being-able-to-see-you problem

lunar
9th July 2005, 08:37 AM
I got my PSP up and running on KAI with no problems at all. I just installed a DWL 122 and followed the instructions in the XLInk PSP forum. The only tricky part was installing the DWL 122 - you have to follow the installation instructions exactly or you`ll cause yourself some pain. The KAI and networking part was easy - again as long as you follow the instructions to the letter.

All diagnostics and tests seemed OK - just couldn`t see any games on the PSP, but I`ll try again later - so maybe not as succesful as I thought, but it was 2am and I`m not sure if the others on there were configured succesfully, too far away, playing the US version and other possible reasons. I`ll try again tonite to see if I do have a problem here or not.

btw, I tried to join the Google group but it keeps asking me to verify my email. I`ve done this four times now - but its possible I`m not doing something right. I`ll try this again later, too, and hopefully get to race against you lot. :wink:

eLhabib
9th July 2005, 10:42 AM
All diagnostics and tests seemed OK - just couldn`t see any games on the PSP, but I`ll try again later
btw, I tried to join the Google group but it keeps asking me to verify my email. I`ve done this four times now

I am having the exact same problems you have, both finding games and joining the google group.

Curved
9th July 2005, 01:12 PM
If you two continue to experience these sort of problems, its probably pretty common -- it might be on the XLink forums, so you might want to check them out.

eLhabib
9th July 2005, 04:49 PM
I think I got my problem figured out - a lot of people are complaining about network cards with the letter G in their name, for example, D-Link DWL-122 works, but DWLG-122 doesn't. semms to be a different encoding or something. I returned my wireless card today and I am gonna get a new one on monday, then, hopefully, all should be fine. :|

Curved
9th July 2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah -- the PSP uses 802.11 b -- your card was probably trying to connect to it with 802.11 g, which is a faster standard.

eLhabib
9th July 2005, 10:02 PM
aaaaah, that clears things up a lot. now why isn't that stated clearly in the xlink faq? :x

Lion
10th July 2005, 04:00 AM
802.11g is meant to be compatible with b
the only side effect being that all devices on that access point (or whatever) slow down to b speeds (11mbit instead of the 54mbit of g)

so if the only device you are trying to connect with is the psp, this shouldn't be of any real concern

that's the theory at least :P

eLhabib
10th July 2005, 12:55 PM
well, it didn't work, and on the forums, most complaints about not working connections are with a -g- card. I'll try on monday with a -b- card.

eLhabib
12th July 2005, 12:04 AM
UPDATE: I just had a 3 hour session of purE multiplayer with lunar and some other guys! this is just AMAZING! makes me fall in love with this game in a different, new way all over again. [highly addicted]

for anyone who is interested in playing purE online, but hasn't tried yet: all you need is a D-Link DWL-122, it's a little USB thingie, shouldn't cost more than 20 quid, the setup is real easy. If you have problems connecting, I have made a screenshot of the D-Link configs, so you just have to adjust it like that and it should work fine. Anyone who's interested, send me a PM.

cheers,
eL :pc

Sausehuhn
12th July 2005, 12:00 PM
I've a question:
When you play Multiplayer with - for example - two persons, are there also six other opponents on the track? Or just you two?
I hate that in NFSU-multiplayer. There's not enough action on the track then...

lunar
12th July 2005, 12:35 PM
there are no AI ships but it doesn`t matter imo. At one point we had five of us racing together on KAI - and AI ships would have introduced too much luck to the racing. Also the guys who fall behind would end up in the AI pack, and get caught up in all that, so it could be harder to catch up. Anyway there are ways and means to slow someone down who`s a long way ahead (bombs - cunningly deployed :wink: )

I`ll echo what El Habib said - multiplayer is very different and very enjoyable. Kai is a friendly place too, people are helpful generally in the Wipeout arena, and I haven`t seen any flaming or any of the crap online gaming is notorious for. Its great fun. It also challenges you to up your game in a way you might not playing by yourself.

I wouldn`t say people definitely couldn`t run into new problems that me and El Habib didn`t see, as we all have different setups in the way we connect to the internet, but I knew nothing about networking and still got it set up. I didn`t have to touch my main internet connection settings at all - it was all down to the wireless network to the usb. My broadband connection is relatively slow (256 I think) but it worked fine.

eLhabib
12th July 2005, 03:46 PM
I second that.

anyone who is interested in playing purE multiplayer should definitely try kai, the setup is relatively easy, and with help from other members it shouldn't be a problem at all. The fun, however, is unparalleled, and the feeling of achievement when I finished my first online race (in first :wink: ) was overwhelming.

I hope to see some of the dedicated pilots here online sometime!

Curved
13th July 2005, 11:43 AM
Hey, sorry I haven't been on on, but I was just coming back from vacation; now I am back to work. I probably wont have much time this month, but feel free to use that group for whatever reason you want. If you post more events, I will come to them if I can.

Drakkenmensch
13th July 2005, 12:26 PM
I'll be there too ;)

phoenixx
13th July 2005, 12:35 PM
sounds like a new dimension of wipeout is rising.

yawnstretch
13th July 2005, 05:36 PM
I've only got a 1mb connection - whats the lag like?

-may look into this myself!

lunar
13th July 2005, 06:03 PM
1mb is faster than my connection, and I didn`t get any serious lag. there was the occasional thing but it didn`t affect me at all.

eLhabib
13th July 2005, 07:43 PM
the PSP's wireless device itself only has a rate of 11mbit, so any standard internet connection should do. I've had lag-free races with people with a ping of over 300, which would cause major lag in, say, an xbox live game, but with purE, it's no problem.

eLhabib
14th July 2005, 01:11 AM
WOW! great, long session of purE adrenaline with Drakkenmensch and some other guys today. this is truly the most fun I have had with a videogame since caveman ugh-lympics(C64) - and lots of booze! :wink:

everyone who has the possibility to try KAI should really, REALLY give it a shot! I just wish this had a voice communication support...

syckls
14th July 2005, 01:26 AM
I really need to see if I can switch my wireless adapter from my crap computer to my good one, at least temporarily. You guys are having too much fun without me.

Drakkenmensch
14th July 2005, 01:37 AM
*grins* Oh I agree with eLhabib, the adrenaline flowed freely and there was much learning done on my part about the many joys of facing an opponent who is cunning, tricky and adaptable, unlike the AI who never learns. Facing REAL pilots and not just electronic facsimiles has shown me I have much to learn, and that my beloved Piranha simply doesn't maneuver well enough to hope to match them.

My quest for the perfect craft CONTINUES!

And you can bet your last dollar that I'll be back racing online again!!!

Rouni Kenshin#1
14th July 2005, 02:33 AM
Try Harimau! 8)

it has descent speed and it's handelign will save your skin>

Drakkenmensch
14th July 2005, 03:07 AM
When I first joined this forum, I was a Harimau man all the way ;)

Lion
14th July 2005, 03:17 AM
dammit, being completely the other side of the world means I rarely get to race you lot... friday 2200GMT worked out well though :)

syckls
14th July 2005, 04:11 AM
If your issue is handling, I would suggest first Tigron, and if you can't use that Auricom. Both ships aren't too far off from Piranha, and have some stats other than handling that are better than those of Piranha.

eLhabib
14th July 2005, 10:19 AM
whatever team you choose, make sure it has strong enough shields to deal with a backward quake :wink:

Drakkenmensch
14th July 2005, 12:10 PM
Oh, if I'm racing against you, I make it a policy to hold on to any shields I find, especially if you have more than 6 seconds lead on me!!! Those are life savers, especially with the vicious way you deploy your bombs :)

Curved
14th July 2005, 06:27 PM
Piranha, forever! ;)

Rouni Kenshin#1
14th July 2005, 11:00 PM
The Harimau will rise to conquer all ships.

bow to it's power! :twisted:

syckls
14th July 2005, 11:19 PM
I will rank all ships based on what I believe to be their ease of use.

1. Van Uber
2. Feisar
3. AG Systems
4. Harimau
5. Assegai (the ranks of Harimau and Assegai are debatable due to Harimau's low shield)
6. Tigron
7. Qirex (Tigron and Qirex are debatable as well, since although Tigron has better speed, for some it could be too much to handle)
8. Auricom
9. Triakis
10. Piranha

I purposely left Zone and Medievil off the list because their cardboard defense would have me typing way too many parentheses. In any case, I typed this up to start discussion about what would be a beginner's craft, what would be advanced, and what would be intermediate.

eLhabib
14th July 2005, 11:57 PM
wrong thread, I believe :?

syckls
14th July 2005, 11:59 PM
I posted that in response to their discussion of what ship to use, and especially since Drakkenmesch said that Piranha's handling was too low for him to use effectively. If need be, however, I will move the discussion.

Rouni Kenshin#1
15th July 2005, 12:22 AM
Van Uber's 5 in handling makes it too responsive at higher speeds.

and THE HARIMAU'S SHEILDS ARE JUST FINE!!!!!!!

syckls
15th July 2005, 12:40 AM
First, you don't need to yell, second, Harimau's low shields take some time to get used to making it harder to use than other crafts, and third, if you're going to criticize Van Uber for its superior handling you have to do the same for Feisar as well.

Lance
15th July 2005, 12:55 AM
"Rouni'', calm down. behave in a more mature way in these forums

Warhawk
15th July 2005, 04:59 AM
Curved, I joined your Google group, but for some reason, it won't verify me as a member. I signed up for Google groups and clicked the link in the verification email, but when i visited the group again, it didnt recognize me as a member. So when I clicked Join Group again, it asked me if I would like to be sent another verification email. Clicked the link inside it, still not a member. Repeat endlessly.

Whatever. I'll still be able to see the headlines on the group's homepage.

Curved
15th July 2005, 05:45 AM
Ug, sorry about that -- I will look into it. Once more though, I am and will be very busy for a while, so I dont really have time to organize the events for now.

Rouni Kenshin#1
15th July 2005, 05:56 PM
:oops: sorry and yes id do also critize Feisar.

Warhawk
15th July 2005, 06:48 PM
Er... sorry, but I'm not entirely sure how to calculate GMT.

If the next event is this Saturday and Sunday at 0100 GMT, and I'm in the Central time zone (GMT -0600), does that mean it's at 7 PM here?

I won't be able to make the Saturday race if that's the case; I'm working till 10:15. But I can make it on Sunday if it'll be the same time.

Curved
15th July 2005, 10:58 PM
Yes