PDA

View Full Version : Favorites

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th July 2005, 08:47 PM
hi
i havent posted in a while because of a computer virus :evil:

so i started this thred so it can find out about you favorite cars and tracks.

me

car-hamariu 8)

track-sebenco climb :rock_on

so post your favorites! :?:

eLhabib
4th July 2005, 09:35 PM
ship (don't call it a 'car' - it will hate you :D ) - Assegai

track - chenghou project.... - nah, ubermall!!!

syckls
4th July 2005, 09:42 PM
Craft (I don't consider it a ship because it needs a track): Triakis

Track: Citta Nuova. Yeah. You heard me.

EDIT: Look down for my argument. I wasn't thinking of it when I said that they needed a track, though I may have inadvertantly created a running joke.

eLhabib
4th July 2005, 09:51 PM

I stand corrected :wink:

stin
4th July 2005, 10:00 PM
so i started this thred so it can find out about you favorite cars !:

Cars????!!!!! :? is that a new thing????? 8O

Guys you have never tell us about.......wheels?!!!!! :roll:

stevie :lol:

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th July 2005, 10:03 PM
sorry i was at aloss for a word :brickwall

Drakkenmensch
4th July 2005, 10:10 PM
Wh...eels? What are those... wh...ee...ls... you speak of?

eLhabib
4th July 2005, 10:13 PM
some ancient rounded device they used for vehicles back in the days when those dumbass humans were still stuck with gravity :wink:

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th July 2005, 10:18 PM
HAY CHECK IT OUT I'M ONT HE MAIN PAGE :D

woop woop woop

Lance
4th July 2005, 10:42 PM
since they use tracks, perhaps we should call them locomotives.

or railbusses
:twisted:

Drakkenmensch
4th July 2005, 11:08 PM
Rounded things on crafts? To make them go? Where did they put the propulsor and AG systems then?

I think these so-called "wheels" are just an urban legend, like the cactus spiders, albino sewer gators and Michael Jackson ;)

eLhabib
5th July 2005, 12:18 AM
...not to forget military intellegence :D

Lion
5th July 2005, 06:04 AM
microsoft works

craft: I'm tending to favour the assegai. but I'm using AG systems more and more now, and I love the look of the qirex :)
course: I've been having an absolute blast on exostra run lately, but sol2 is still probaly my favourite

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 08:23 AM
Craft - Triakis, as if you hadn't guessed :wink:
Track - Dunno really, I'd say Sinucit has really grown on me.

Dogg Thang
5th July 2005, 10:45 AM
Fave railbus - Feisar
Fave track - Exostra Run

yawnstretch
5th July 2005, 11:26 AM
Fav ship - Feisar (Ag systems close second)
Fav track - Modesto Heights (You just gotta love that big jump with the sun in your eyes - not to mention the lovely neon signs at Adam's Dive.)

syckls
5th July 2005, 04:15 PM
What have I done?! I've created an argument :cry: If people agree with the idea, I'll open up a topic in The Pilots Lounge to discuss what to call these things.

Sausehuhn
5th July 2005, 04:23 PM
No, it doesn't need a track. Look at the NX1000 (1st AG-craft), it was shown in the desert of Nevada, without any tracks etc.
Also the bigger and wider track sections at Florion Height or Temtesh Bay (gone in Pure :( ) aren't really tracks, they're more a lot of free space.

So call it what you want - just don't call it car ;)

syckls
5th July 2005, 04:31 PM
The reason I don't consider Wipeout vehicles ships is because ships connotate travel in wide open space nearly 100% of the time, whereas in Wipeout these vehicles are being used on a designated race track. It's not the ability to travel over wide open spaces, it's how they are most often used. If you used a sailboat that would normally be called a ship over the canals of Venice its whole life, I would call that simply a boat. I guess when I said the above I wasn't thinking of my argument, but here it is.

phoenixx
5th July 2005, 04:37 PM
favourite locomotives: zone, assegai

favourite tracks: staten park, chenghou

Drakkenmensch
5th July 2005, 05:49 PM
Syckls: What would you say then to the Wipeout vehicules to be referred to as 'Crafts'?

phoenixx
5th July 2005, 06:12 PM
I'm innocent :wink:
[quote="Lance"].
since they use tracks, perhaps we should call them locomotives.

but you're right: craft sounds better than ships to me.

syckls
5th July 2005, 07:03 PM
Syckls: What would you say then to the Wipeout vehicules to be referred to as 'Crafts'?

Wipeout vehicles are automobiles, but it isn't common to call a car or a truck or an SUV an automobile all the time. It is more common to use the specific name. So, you wouldn't use any name for a wheeled vehicle because it doesn't have wheels, and it's not a plane because despite the fact that it's anti-gravity, free up-and-down movement is not a feature that has much effect on control of the vehicle. Also, it doesn't go along a rail so it's not a locomotive or railbus. They are a lot like hovercrafts, but they're not like traditional hovercrafts in the sense that instead of producing force to balance out the pull of gravity, they dispel gravitational force to hold their position. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, quite a few other futuristic racing games call their vehicles "crafts." It's a cool name either way.

Lance
5th July 2005, 07:38 PM
i always call them ships, or racers, or racecraft. [in English, the word craft is both singular and plural. example: my favourite racecraft in WO3 is Icaras, but taking all versions of Wipeout together, my favourite racecraft are the WO2 Qirex, the WO3 Icaras and Pirhana, the Pure Piranha, and the Feisars in 2, 3, and Pure]

offtopic note: ships are also automobiles in that they are self-powered and therefore self [auto]-mobile, just like a car or an airplane or a motorcycle. it is merely a matter of historical tradition which determined that cars [self-powered chariots. yes, with 2, 4, or 3, or more rarely 6 or 8, wheels] would be called automobiles, but that nothing else would be. autocar was another term also, but less frequently, used in the early days, hence the famous British motoring magazine, Autocar, whose editor, S.C.H. (Sammy) Davis was part of the Bentley racing team in the late 20s.

at the most rigorous extremity of definition, a ship is a three-masted sailing vessel rigged with squaresails on all three masts, but the word has come to be applied to steam and diesel powered ocean-going vessels and by extension to vessels that travel in the 'ocean' of 'space', to airships [Zeppelins and blimps (even small ones)] in the 'ocean' of air, airplanes [such as the ''China Clippers'' of the 1930s, and to any vehicle that does not normally contact the ground during the course of its travel. it can therefore be correctly used to refer to anti-gravity vehicles, whether they are racers or cargo vessels or commuter vehicles. it would be most typical, though, to refer only to large vehicles as ships.

syckls
5th July 2005, 07:42 PM
Okay! So when it comes to Wipeout vehicles, "ship," "craft" and "vehicle" should be considered acceptable," locomotive" and "railbus" would connotate a joke (if it ever escapes this topic), and "car" should be COS (WAAOS) (corrected on sight with an air of smugness).

EDIT: Plus any of the above acceptable terms with the word "race" tacked on or simply "racer."

Lance
5th July 2005, 08:01 PM
man, if i were only as great at actual racing as i am with an air of smugness..
it would be sweet

lunar
6th July 2005, 12:28 AM
it would be most typical, though, to refer only to large vehicles as ships.

true, so shouldn`t AG racing vehicles therefore be called "boats"? They are more boat-sized than ship-sized, and of course they float and bob about much like boats do. Boats go on tracks.... as do canal boats and boats at theme parks. Ships do not. However, "boat" is a very weak word and doesn`t imply thrust of any kind. I`ve seen it applied to wipeout "craft", though. I`ve even seen them called "sleds" in reviews by certain "journalists" :roll:

"Craft" is good but has old fashioned connotations, and is also slightly too vague, as is "vehicle". We haven`t even considered "plane" (these things do fly after all) or "barge", but it really has to be "ship". Although "ship" `is not quite right in some ways, it has connotations of weight, power, momentum and floating which all seem appropriate to me.

My favourite ship, by the way, used to be Qirex, for the colour mainly and its general multi-purpose nature, though now I really enjoy flying the Feisar more. Ubermall is the best track.

eLhabib
6th July 2005, 12:44 AM
you could also call it a vessel, pod, jet, glider, or floater... just don't call it a car! that's like calling a car a fridge :D

Colin Berry
6th July 2005, 11:42 AM
For the sake of continuity in the design we discussed this a while back ships vs craft

we call em ships

:)

Dogg Thang
6th July 2005, 02:55 PM
Well I think we can call that an official ruling. Thanks for that, Colin!

Ships it is!

syckls
6th July 2005, 03:34 PM
Bah, I refuse to bend to you ship-name peddlers! You may not realize the truth now, but soon, SOON, all Wipeouters will bend to my whim! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

Rouni Kenshin#1
6th July 2005, 11:34 PM
:D ship or personal antigravational transportation device?

by the way i've got a question.

how long do you stay a new piolet on the site?

i'm posting here since it's my thred.

Lance
7th July 2005, 12:50 AM
but that actually makes no difference since there is a very recent thread [about two weeks ago] that answers your question [and a corollary subject that the question implies]. to save you from looking it up, you change 'title' at 50 posts

username
13th July 2005, 12:30 PM
its true i think that it was me that asked. :lol:
anyhow i just write in all the time because its so addictive!!
man its like a drug or something this site :lol: :lol: (in a good way ofcourse with no danger to your health :D )