PDA

View Full Version : PS2 linkup

Lion
4th July 2005, 11:36 AM
I've been playing the wipeout series mainly in ePSXe for a long time now and am on the lookout for a cheap console to play it on properly so I can try for the tables.
a PS is the cheapest option at about NZ$25
a PSone is not far off at NZ$35 but does not have any option for linked play
a PS2 is a fair bit more pricey but opens the door for a lot of other prettier games, and w3o is dead sexy on a PS2

can anyone give me a DEFINITE answer as to whether or not any of the wipeout games are capable of using any kind of link between PS2 units? If so I'll shell out for a PS2. If not then I'll pick up a PS.

I already know that PS to PS2 link play is not an option, I'm talking about PS2 to PS2

infoxicated
4th July 2005, 11:43 AM
Short answer - not possible, I'm afraid.

Lion
4th July 2005, 07:06 PM
damn, but thanks for clearing that up.
on the bright side this works out cheaper for me :)

element42
5th July 2005, 10:31 AM
plus, if you're planning on playing 2097 on a PS2, you won't be able to get past the first challenge, 'cos it locks after displaying the congrats message...
well, it did for me anyway. :evil:

eLhabib
5th July 2005, 10:37 AM
oh, so i am not the only one to experience this! phew... still sucks though! :evil:

Lion
5th July 2005, 10:51 AM
I've borrowed a PS off skipper until I get round to buying one, and I received my neGcon in the mail today (YAY!) so now I've finally gotten round to signing up on the front of the site :P (put a couple of times in there too)
having never really played 2097 on an original playstation (other than multiplayer against skipper) are these framerate drops I'm experiencing a common problem?
there's a few places where it's pretty bad, though so far all I have tried is talons reach TT with qirex.

lunar
5th July 2005, 06:16 PM
this happened to me a bit in the past when I first started playing 2097 again, after the tables here were created. I think the frame rate drop may be related to beating an old best time, and therefore creating a new ghost ship. Its one possible theory anyway, and seems consistent in that it hasn`t happened to me for ages, which may be because I don`t set new records as often as I did back then, being nearer my talent ceiling, and all that. The only way to clear it is to reboot the Playstation.

Rapier Racer
5th July 2005, 07:36 PM
Aaaaah it froze on me once after I watched the 2097 intro on PS2, I was about to do challenge 2 on it as well, think I'll just get the PS1 out

Lion
6th July 2005, 02:05 AM
I think the frame rate drop may be related to beating an old best time, and therefore creating a new ghost ship.there's a flaw in this train of thought...
the playstation cannot know whether or not your run is going to beat the old time until you finish the race.
as a result it would have to record EVERY race and decide upon completion whether to keep it or discard