PDA

View Full Version : NTSC Prototype 1 Challenge

Lance
29th March 2002, 06:13 AM
~
for those NTSC players who have no chance to win that wip3out CD in the MegaMall challenge:
i propose this challenge:
beat my vector class racetime and lap time for the prototype 1 course, LS101 NP62, with all ships enabled and weapons enabled.

i set a new record a few minutes ago, and have posted it in the wipeoutzone records tables.
the current time to beat is 1:19.10 for the race, 38.26 for fastest lap. this is apparently the first time under 1:20.

the challenge ends at 17:00 Sunday, April 7.

i also have the lap record in venom class while G. Mathews holds the race record. i'm willing to expand the challenge to venom class if others want to split their efforts over 2 classes.

any takers?
^

Wiseman
29th March 2002, 07:03 AM
Yeah, I noticed that you snuck up to 1st place a couple days back. ;)

The one thing I like about this track is that it's even all across the track, there's no one praticular turn or spot that's really any harder than the rest.

I'll get to racing as soon as I can, been a bit busier over the past few days, which has sadly cut my wiping time down. :(

Oh, BTW, if you want to do Venom too, that's fine with me.

Lance
29th March 2002, 07:46 AM
~
oops, i just improved my time. the new record is 1:18.16 for the race, 38.20 for best lap. both of these set in the same race.

okay, let's do both vector and venom. Al said a few months ago that the reflexes go when you turn 59 years old; that happens to me on April 6, so this may be my last chance to do well in a challenge. ;)
^

AmishRobot
29th March 2002, 08:19 AM
Wow, I was just posting my times, and then I come back to find out you're still a full second ahead! I wouldn't worry too much about age slowing you down. :wink:

Got you beat on the lap time though!

Lance
29th March 2002, 09:03 AM
~
you beat my lap time? goddammit, neGcons should be illegal. i did with a d-pad. i shoulda made the challenge all digital all d-pad all da time! ;)

congrats on the time.

i'm thinking that if i do everything right with my current line and thrust points, i might manage, just possibly, a 1:17.8. with a neGcon, a sub 1:17 should be there. the d-pad tends to make me over-control. i've not done any more racing since that last time i mentioned. i'm sleepy. maybe tomorrow.

this competition looks like it might be tight and intense. :D
^

zargz
29th March 2002, 09:44 AM
I hope then I get my wo3 ntsc b4 the 7th!!!! 8)

AmishRobot
29th March 2002, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't break my heart if you revise the rules, but know this: 3 neGcons (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&query=negcon) are up for sale on ebay right now, each currently sitting at $9.95. Come... be one of us! Give in! The peer pressure is overwhelming!!

*ahem*

Anyway, you might be right. I wasn't doing this well a few weeks ago. I'm embarrased to say that I've actually been a bit paranoid that my times might be disputed, so I've resorted to getting screen grabs of the records screen in case I need proof. :oops:

I'm pretty sure I could improve quite a bit as well. I know that I'm following the curves way too much, rather than trying to cut a solid line. Unfortunately I won't be able to try again for a while since tomorrow I finish the process of moving to Chicago, and everything's going to be boxed up for a while until I arrive and get settled.

BTW, 1:17.0 might be possible, but I doubt any lower. I'm hovering just over 0:38.0 for a well-defined perfect lap, but that was using up my whole shield for thrust in just that lap. Since you can't get it all back in the pit, I'm thinking your time is damn close to the physical limit.

Lance
29th March 2002, 10:34 PM
~
with the exception of extending the time limit of a challenge, revising the rules would be wrong.

good luck on the move to chicago. i hope you get back racing soon.

zargz, you're really getting an NTSC PSX? when do you expect to get it? maybe we can extend the deadline because of James's moving and your maybe getting the right machine for the challenge. although i'm kinda reluctant to extend the deadline because, as we all know, after April 6 i will no longer be able to drive any faster up the expressway entrance ramps than 25 miles per hour!
^

AmishRobot
29th March 2002, 10:58 PM
No need to extend on my behalf. I had my run and my lap time will stand. MwaHaHaHa!! :D

Lance
30th March 2002, 12:22 AM
~
we shall seeeeeeeeeee
[laughs like a combo of The Master, Fu Manchu, Regis Philbin on the way to the bank, the Joker, and... nah, the Joker is enough.][the Joker is nOt dead, i don't care what Frank Miller says!]
^

Wiseman
30th March 2002, 06:44 AM
Great job guys! 8)

If I can, I'll try to get around to racing some tomorrow, didn't have any time to today (busy as a bee, as usual, LOL).

zargz
30th March 2002, 11:13 AM
'zargz, you're really getting an NTSC PSX?'

no. only the game my psx1 can read both pal/ntsc!
I think i'll b getting the game within 3-4 days :D

Lance
31st March 2002, 09:54 PM
~
the new records in venom class are:
race time: 1:47.63
lap time: 32.96

and those are both pants. should be easy to beat.
^

FoxZero
31st March 2002, 10:18 PM
venom

race record
1:35.80
lap record
0:30.20

vector

race record
1:17.84
lap record
0:36.07

AmishRobot
1st April 2002, 07:23 AM
I've got just one thing to say:
"You maniacs! You blew it up! Oh, damn you! Damn you all to hell!!" :P

Guess I shouldn't have gotten so cocky about my lap time. Eight seconds better?!? Eight???!!!?!? How did you DO that? Ah, well. I guess it was worth a shot!

Nice one, both of you. I'm impressed.

Lance
1st April 2002, 03:31 PM
~
James, don't give up now! i know you just moved, but wipeout is more important!

woah! FoxZero! outstanding race time in venom class. based on xeik's time in the PAL version, i was expecting the time to go below 1:43 in NTSC, but not that much. i've cut 15 seconds off my time in the past week or so, and while i may be able to cut another 5 or thereabouts, i would have to work really hard on my imagination to envision cutting 10.

G: still no time to get in a racing session yet?

and where is Jay? you must have gone on a weekend spring vacation. cmon, we need you in this challenge, too!
^

FoxZero
1st April 2002, 04:54 PM
i have no braggy comments, as i could just as miracuously be beaten by similarly large margins in the following days. :wink: this is my first arena competition so i expect that anything could happen.

also, james, your lap time has a 9 in front of it, which made it go to the end of the list!

Wiseman
2nd April 2002, 04:22 AM
Vector
Race - 1:17.53
Lap - 0:36.77

Venom
Race - 1:42.40
Lap - 0:33.13

Definitely lot's of room for improvement on my Venom times, I think FoxZero proves that quite well. :lol

I'm not quite sure if my Vector times can get much better, maybe down to near 1:17.00 flat, but like Lance was saying, I doubt we could go below 1:17.00 But, you never know! :lol

Lance
2nd April 2002, 03:56 PM
~
hey G, great vector race time.

the potential time for vector is under 1:16 btw. if you put FoxZero's fastest second lap together with my current fastest first lap, it comes in under that. my 39.74 first lap with his 36.07 second lap comes to 1:15.81

btw, the 39.74 is done while going through the pit, so there is hyperthrust available for the second lap. damn, i must really be pants at that second lap. my best one so far is 37.50, way worse than yours and FoxZero's. so my best combined time would only be 1:17.24.

i saw a post by Jay last night. he must be back from a weekend of riotous living, so i expect him to get busy racing soon. this is great! a few months ago in NTSC, the only person posting serious times in anything but phantom class was Jay. now we have 5 people going for the really superior times. the quality of piloting is going up.
^

FoxZero
2nd April 2002, 07:01 PM
vector

race record
1:15.37

i almost wet myself when the time showed up as i was not expecting it to be that low

Lance
2nd April 2002, 07:55 PM
~
lol
yeah, i was pretty damn' excited when i made the 1:18.16 and the next best time was 1:20.73. it was awesome! ah, the good old days. like uh... last thursday or friday!

congratulations! i knew that even 1:15.81 would not be the limit because i knew i could improve on my firstlap time, and that better pilots than me could certainly do so. do you know what the time on your second lap for this race was?

if i were in your position, i would have taped the end-of-race record screen for posterity! and the replay, too.
^

FoxZero
2nd April 2002, 08:38 PM
no, i dont know what the second lap was :(

i think the first lap was a 00:38.04, but it couldve been 00:38.84 too (more likely).. i only had time to quickly glance before i got to the next turn as i scraped across the finish line wall on the end of the first lap while hyperthrusting out of the pit lane, it was very exciting!

yea i should record a replay sometime. i want a video capture card for my computer too, so i dont have to use vhs crap. its probably better that i didnt record this race though, cuz i think the time can still be beaten by maybe .04 seconds. :wink: seriously though, even though i didnt brake or get shot or hit any walls (or save any hyperthrust :roll: ) , i think a time of 1:13.00 is achievable. thats my next goal.

Lance
2nd April 2002, 10:25 PM
~

1:13.00?
:o

since both the first and second laptimes plus the overall time are displayed at the end of the race, i woulda left em there and gazed in wonderment for a while. :) taken photos, posed with my controller, had myself bronzed.
or better yet, gilded! it would only be right.

um... how in the holy f__k are you doing that?! i don't see how i'm going to get under 39 for the first and 37 for the second. i must be doing something wrong. i've experimented a bit today, and the stuff i've tried just results in slower times than i was getting before. saaaay, you're not using a neGcon, are you? ;)

^

FoxZero
2nd April 2002, 11:36 PM
ive actually never laid hands on a negcon before. i always use the d-pad of my ps one controller. take that people who rely on negcon!! and it is possible to get 38 seconds for the first lap and still have hyperthrust for the second lap. and without cheating! maybe ill tell you how after the competition is over :D

Lance
2nd April 2002, 11:49 PM
i can wait! but only till then!!

i've started using just the standard pre-analog sony controller lately, i'm not quite as fast with it yet as i am with my more hand-friendly but getting wonkier madcatz.

uhoh, lightning storm getting close; i better shut this thing off. later.

Wiseman
3rd April 2002, 05:36 AM
MadCatz controllers always start acting goofy after a while, I usually replace mine about one every 3 months (gotta love Wal-Mart's return policies ;)).

MadCatz controllers are cheaply made, to bad they're the only one's that have a feel, grip and design that are worth a crap.

I can't stand the standard Dual Shock/DS2 pads, not only do they not fit well into my hands at all, but they feel nasty. Not to mention the directional buttons they posses suck big ones. I need a D-Pad like the MadCatz's have, only way to have percision digital control.

Anyway..... 1:15.37! Sheesh dude! :lol

I think some changes in the way I race are going to have to be called in order to beat a time like that... time to go into experimentation mode.

xEik
3rd April 2002, 01:11 PM
At Lance: About my prototype times being a reference, I'm afraid you can't assume that. Except for Vector I didn't work very much on the other ones. Getting first place in race time was easy and having no challengers means I don't try to improve them. Did you know that when I first posted my times I managed to get one 1st place? It was Rapier LS4 but just because the AI is so difficult to beat in that track and most people don't pay much attention to prototypes.
LS4 Phantom is the only course in the game I still haven't won, though. Pitch control is basic in the last part of the circuit and a dual shock isn't good enough for that one.

Lance
3rd April 2002, 04:25 PM
~
xeik, i knew from comparing some of the more hotly-contested times in vector NTSC compared to your vector PAL times, that there must be about a 3 second differential between the two versions in vector, more in each succeeding faster class. but even if you had no competion in PAL, your time was really the only thing i had to go on, so i went ahead and assumed!. :)
it would be great if you would really try for your best possible time in each class on maybe 2 of the circuits, so we could get a better idea of what the practical speed difference is between NTSC and PAL when the ship is being piloted by a human. Al did extensive work on speed comparisons using continuous auto-pilot, i think, but even so, we can't make any solid determination of what are the relative best times. i wish that game developers would make game events occur at the same rate in all versions, as determined by the actual clock built into the console. then we could participate in the challenges and be able to determine the actual best performance worldwide. it isn't truly important to know such a thing, but it is interesting and fun.
^

Task
4th April 2002, 10:12 AM
In a crypt of darkness, a humanoid form stirs... Like an undead wraith, he rises from slumber. "I sense... a challenge to my times... I must... Race!"

Yes Lance, I shall definitely be taking part. I have already begun. Boy, do my times look like pants compared to what y'all have been up to! Wonderful!

Been busy the past few weeks, releasing the beta for the software I've been developing. It's done, and I'm on a weeks vacation.
Last weekend (you know, the long one) I rented a GameCube, 4 controllers, Cel Damage, THPS3, and Super Monkey Ball. THPS was only played once. Cel Damage is a marvelous 4-player frag-fest. Super Monkey Ball may be the greatest multiplayer game ever made. One of the features was Monkey Race... You can imagine what happened. I managed a race time of 1:55 for the av course and was very impressed with myself. Beat the Beginner level totally (leading to 3 "extra" levels, very nifty), managed to complete all Advanced levels (took a while), and got halfway through Expert. More importantly, I was consistently getting over 1000 points in 10-round Monkey Target. Anyway, the point of all this is that while my Monkey Powers have grown fearsome and strong, my Mad Wiping Skillz are in need of a tune-up. I've never been very good at the Prototypes, so here's my chance to practice. So far, an hour of practice has put me just below everyone else. Great, I've caught up to the bottom! :D
Well, since I'm not working this week, I can definitely see what I can do about that 1:15... Damn but that's a nice time. I haven't yet figured out how to manage such insanity (I'm 2 seconds short on my lap time, dammit) but I have ideas...

Oh, and one other thing: I'm definitely going to be placing a bid on those NeGcons. They aren't much use at Vector/Venom speeds, but I need to do something about FoxZero and his dominance of Rapier. And, of course, I need to get good at Phantom. :D

zargz
4th April 2002, 01:28 PM
task: over 1000 points in 10-round Monkey Target !!!?? wow u must b a real monkey boy now!! :D

lance: I still dfidnt get the ntsc game .. :( I hope any day now ..

Lance
4th April 2002, 07:28 PM
zargz, i was sure hoping you would have got it by today. sigh.

Jay: FoxZero [say, what is your real name, anyway?] says that he just used d-pad on this; i don't know if that applies to his rapier times, too.

FZ: does it? btw, if you make that 1:13.00, i'm looking forward to a head-to-head contest between you and Al in phantom class.

i haven't raced in a couple of days, but last time i did, i used my antique no-sticks sony controller that the pawn shop gave me to go along with my psx. i got within a 0.14 of my best time with a madcatz, so next time i race, i'll keep trying to improve my time with that.

wow, that reminds me that i've been playing videogames for 2 years now! i sure wish they'd had these things when i was a kid

FoxZero
5th April 2002, 12:51 AM
i use a dual shock d pad for all my times here, i dont own a negcon and i hate the analog joystick. im gonna try perhaps tomorrow or saturday to beat my times again, i took a break today from wipeout after playing so much the last few days. actually, i think ill try right now :)

oh yea and i dont think al has any competition from me at the moment, i suck at phantom. ive never agreed with phantom ever since they introduced it in xl, ive always felt that it was too beyond realistic and sort of spoiled the not overdone feel of wipeout. for a while i had a strict anti-xl policy because of it.. that of course changed once i gave the game some playtime at my friends house. so maybe the phantom thing will pass too.

FoxZero
5th April 2002, 01:20 AM
vector

race record
1:14:24
lap record
0:35.37

my real name is jason, nice to meet you ;>

Lance
5th April 2002, 02:09 AM
hi jason, it's good to meet you, too.

an astounding time. great going!

ive done phantom class only a very little; i don't know how i feel about it yet except that i'm not good at it.
:roll: :D

FoxZero
5th April 2002, 02:57 AM
wow, that reminds me that i've been playing videogames for 2 years now! i sure wish they'd had these things when i was a kid
ive played video games since i was 8, where i went after school to an arcade in the basement of the boys & girls club and played super mario bros on nes and space invaders arcade. i cant even imagine life without video games! :wink:

Wiseman
5th April 2002, 05:12 AM
1:14:24! Christ! :D

Well, I have 1:15.23 now, it seems as if my assumptions were correct... that it was in how I used the hyperthrust that was stopping me from getting below 1:17.

Well, actually, that really was the only thing it could be, I think I come a hairs distance from most of the corners, I'm cutting them so short... :lol

I think now that a 1:13 time might indeed be possible, it seems as if the more of these challenges I do, the more I learn the different oddities of the hyperthrust.

Anyway, great job FoxZero, I shall have to have another go at it tomorrow!

Lance
5th April 2002, 06:52 AM
after this challenge is over would you guys please PLEASE tell me where and how you used the hyperthrust and what line you took through the first couple of corners. i've experimented some but without success so far. it is really pissing me off that ive not cut my time anymore in the 2 sessions ive done since the once-a-record-but-now-pitifully-slow 1:18.16!

Wiseman
6th April 2002, 06:27 AM
LOL, I tried racing some more today, and I've actually gotten worse! :lol

Now I can only make high 1:16's and low 1:17's... I think it might have been because I was tired from all that racing, trying to beat Jay's Mega Mall Rapier TT time (came close though, about a second away).

Tried a little on the Porta Kora one too, only managed to do worse there as well... :lol

I shall see if I can have the time to take another go at this tomorrow.

Lance
6th April 2002, 04:21 PM
yeah, i couldn't drive worth a damn for the last 3 days, gave up after a short time of not being able to close in on my own times much less faster ones. my sleeping and eating has been totally f__k_d for days. maybe that's the reason. and today is the day my reflexes disappear. maybe they've chosen to go earlier than predicted. ;)

IMPORTANT [sorta]: don't forget the challenge ends tomorrow at 17:00 GMT

FoxZero
7th April 2002, 01:57 AM
HOLY F**KING SH*T!!!!

vector

race record
1:11:94
lap record
0:34.30

i just came up with the most awesome strategy haha

Lance
7th April 2002, 04:22 AM
ahem.. :cof cof: ahem.... HOLY F**KING SH*T

i need strategy; tactics are not going to do it.

amazing times. after this is over, i gotta know. i won't have the skill to equal your times, but at least i might improve mine

zargz
7th April 2002, 10:54 AM
I tryed 4-5 times yesterday and made 1:37.. or 38.. dont remember high 30s anyway
I raced on wo3se - I just CANT WAIT 4 my ntsc disc!!! :evil:
that was with a lot of hits 2the walls and hit by the other ships .. and it's venom'fcourse ..
vector doesnt apeal so much 2me but since y'all r there I might try it 2nite ..
just curious to c how far ahead u guys r ..
and ofcource I pulverised xeiks time on the wo3 as well ..
but gotta do it again with my own wo3 - this was wo3se ..
anyway - still waiting 4 my disc .. :(

zargz
7th April 2002, 11:05 AM
lance: I use the thrust @the start on the straight 2pass as many ships as possible
then on the jumps with speed pads boost 2-3 speedpad lengths b4 the pad it'll give u even more speed
u can do it also with the double pads on the no jumps places thru the track.
that i'm not 100% sure'll give u better boost then normal but the pads on the jump
defenetly 2length b4 the pad!! the last straight f cource already when making the last
turn - after the half of it !! remember the apex stuff we discussed on other topic? ;)
I guess u knew most of this but I hope @least 1of this hints help u better u timez! :D

hey!! 100 posts! :wink:

Lance
7th April 2002, 05:02 PM
just after 17:00 GMT [or UT, or whatever], i took a snapshot of times tables results for this challenge. times are shown for both overall and best lap. four pilots posted new times for venom class, five for vector class. it appears that vector class was the primary focus of effort. ;)

i think james and jay did just one racing session. mine are the result of 2 in venom, 3 in vector, but my times are for the first session as i was unable to improve on those subsequently. dammit. i don't know how many sessions FoxZero [jason] and G [may i call you G?] did, but the results amaze me. fantastic job guys! congratulations to Jason for the best times in both classes of the challenge.

Venom class Race time:

1 FoxZero-1:35:80

2 G Mathews-1:42:40

3 Lance Price-1:44:34

4 Jay West-1:48:70

Venom class Best lap:

1 FoxZero-0:30:20

2 Lance Price-0:32:03

3 G Mathews-0:33:13

4 Jay West-0:33:57

Vector class Race time:

1 FoxZero-1:11:94

2 G Mathews-1:15:23

3 Lance Price-1:18:16

4 James McVay-1:19:16

5 Jay West-1:19:77

Vector class Best lap:

1 FoxZero-0:34:30

2 G Mathews=0:36:44

3 Lance Price-0:37:50

4 Jay West-0:37:90

5 James McVay-0:38:07

Lance
7th April 2002, 05:22 PM
zargz: my best times were all done by blowing past all the other ships long before the first jump/drop, then doing the entire rest of the first lap with no hyperthrust available. then i went into the recharge lane, using some of the hyper to get back up to speed, then finishing off the rest before the first jump again.

i have tried boost just as i pass over the pads or just after, but i never have boost left for the finish straight. but so far, i've not done as good a time by spreading the boost out more. mostly what happens if i don't pass the other ships early is that there is some contact with them and too frequently i take a rocket hit.

thanks for the tips; i'll try the before-the-pad technique.

FoxZero
7th April 2002, 05:53 PM
okay, so everybody wants to know how i did my times, and i know you wont believe them till i explain it, so grab your pen and paper kids, and pay attention :)

first of all you have to understand how i fly, i have ethics for myself that must not be broken. this pretty much applies to all the wipeout series.

1. never use airbrakes. this doesnt mean i dont correct a turn, it just means i do it until its right.
2. never use autopilot. NEVER.
3. never let go of the accelerator. NEVER.

just fyi lance, i did a total of 6 sessions of wipeout, one per day except friday and today, with anywhere between 10 to 60 race restarts per session.

now that you know that, ill explain the times. when i first started on vector the strategy was simply hyperthrust at slow parts. my idea of 'slow part' was anywhere that the controller wasnt shaking from top speed. so i hyperthrusted part of the way up the hill. i went through the pit on both the first and second lap so i could get extra hyperthrust, and i would boost to the finish line on every lap through the pit. i also scraped a lot, because i noticed it was way easier to scrape on purpose and get away with it on vector. i dont do much vector racing. but i sure fooled you guys, cuz i got the 1st place time :wink:

of course, then my time was beaten. so i went back at it again. this time i noticed that thrusting off of the second jump caused some wicked speed to be built up before the last turn on the pit, which could be kept up by the blue pad on the left. so i beat my time.

but then i wanted to go faster. so i did some more racing. i noticed that another slow part was just before the second jump, so i beat my time agin by hyperthrusting almost the entire way through there. i think at this point i was at 15:00.

BUT THAT WASNT ENOUGH, i had to go faster. then perhaps accidentally, i got rammed by one of the starting ships and had a eureka moment. so every time i started a race i would get in front of one of the other ships and as they accelerated it would push me forward and shave seconds off of my approach up the hill. this is what gave me the 14:00 time.

once again, that wasnt enough. i had to be the first to get 13:00, damnit! at first i tried ramming into other ships on my way up the hill, but this caused more hyperthrust to be lost ESPECIALY if you ended up flying THROUGH their ship instead of bouncing off of it, which sucked. also the ship weapons were pissing me off, i found if i didnt get a cloak or shield before id dive into the S turns after the first jump i was pretty much f*cked as the Ai seemingly had a big beef with me getting very fast times.

..and thats when i found it. i was trying to get away from the stupid AI at the top of the hill, and i had a hypothesis, so i tried jetting off of the top of the end of the first jump. WOAH.
this caused me to be HURTLED down the S turns at nearly non-negotiable speeds. i did this on both the first and second lap. now, i knew a time of 12:00 was possible, given the calculated total of the best possible times, but i figured there was no chance in hell anyone would have enough hyperthrust to get it, so i said 13:00 was possible. imagine my surprise when the times said 1:11!!!!!!!!! but yes folks. thats how its done.

great effort everyone who participated! hopefully we can race again sometime soon :)

Lance
7th April 2002, 07:25 PM
i tried flying off the first jump last night, it happened by accident the first time. holy sh*t, the speed was incredible. but i couldn't control it. maybe if i had been racing since i was 8! :)
i also started going through the pit both times and accelerating while still in it, though i burned all the boost before i got to the the last pair of curves before the second jump, but something always went wrong on every lap, so i never did get quite as good a time as the ones i posted about a week earlier.

i havent tried jump and boost on the last drop. and certainly not bouncing ahead on the other ships.

man, i wish i had been there to see the sub 1:12!!! spectacular.

thanks for the explanation of how it was done, very eye-opening, and mine were sure WIDE open. yow.
yeah, this challenge was great, even though i came in way back, i still went faster than i had ever thought possible. it's a pretty fair thrill ride to pass all of the other ships in one go on this course

FoxZero
7th April 2002, 08:10 PM
i burned all the boost before i got to the the last pair of curves before the second jump, but something always went wrong on every lap
yea i never made it through a session without getting shot or mined by the other ships at least a dozen times, each time forcing me to restart the race. ARGH 8) most of my attempts never made it past the s turns after the jump!

i havent been RACING since i was 8, just playing video games. it builds up the reflexes though, im less likely to panic and more likely to react correctly when put in a situation where i have to move before i have time to think. its all that space invaders, i tell ya :P

it's a pretty fair thrill ride to pass all of the other ships in one go on this course

ya, i love this game :)

Wiseman
8th April 2002, 05:29 AM
Yes, using the hyperthrust on the jump and pitting twice were the 2 ways I was able to manage to improve my times, I'll have to try some of the other things you talked about.

But I do have to say I couldn't get the ships to launch me forward very fast, this was a tactic I tried right away (knew it from the LS102 prototype challenge Lance made up a while back, works beautifully on that track). I just ended up using more hyperthrust to get up to them and they didn't make up for it. The top CPU opponents don't seem to be as in much of a hurry to get way up front as they were on LS102.

Lance
8th April 2002, 09:55 PM
yesterday afternoon i raced for a bit, and after a few tries with zargz's hyperthrust advice and jason's jump technique, i cut more than 1 second from my previous fastest first lap [now 38.66]. i didn't do so well on the second lap or i'd have a new personal best racetime. but clearly the technique works.

next time i race, i'll work on it some more. [goes off mumbling something about xeik and practice, practice, practice...]

Task
8th April 2002, 10:56 PM
Well, damn. I was already doing most of that, and I'm just barely beating 1:18.
I figured from the beginning that before the first jump was the place to thrust, and after some practice I was able to left, right, left, right steer through the following turns at high speed, but I'm still losing too much speed on my bad landings.
I gotta practice my landing some more, *bounce*, *bounce* just isn't gonna get me under 1:15...

I never considered thrusting off the second jump, I'm not sure how you'd make the sharp 90 after it with that much speed... And I certainly never thrust through the pit lane, that gives me less energy!

FoxZero: Did you find either of those two tactics to be required in getting your best time? I got the impression from your post that you abandoned those tactics eventually.

Heckuva race, everyone. Wish I'd been home more so I coulda raced more. :P

FoxZero
9th April 2002, 06:38 AM
err, no, i used every single tactic i mentioned to get the fastest time i have.

and making the sharp 90 doesnt even require brakes.

zargz
9th April 2002, 02:29 PM
hey! is this finnished??! :-?
I just got the game 4 hrs ago!!! :D
well I'll give it a try anyway ! :wink:

Lance
9th April 2002, 06:19 PM
er, well, yeah. the placings for this one were decided 2 days ago, but the tables are there. go for it! besides, there will always be another challenge! :D

and with you added to the NTSC competitors that'll mean that we would have six serious racers in the group.

AmishRobot
17th April 2002, 12:48 AM
Now that I'm finally all settled in at my new home, I can get back to some regular posting. I come back here to check out the results, and all I can say is:
oh.my.god. :o

You guys are amazing. I honestly didn't think times like that would be possible. Guess you've proven that there's a lot more to it than just finding a good line. Good job, guys. Looks like I still need a lot more practice!

*I am consistently amazed by the depth of the Wipeout games. This thread is a great example of just how much there is to them.

zargz
27th November 2002, 12:07 AM
I no this challange is finnished but I think this is the right place to post anyway ..
so to lance, J and G I wanna say ..

aehum .. 8)

Lance
27th November 2002, 03:31 AM
congrats on the great time. perhaps some day i can get within a second or two of it.

FoxZero
1st July 2003, 07:48 PM
had some free time today so i tried my hand at some ls 101

rapier class -icaras
race 1:53.57
lap 0:24.50

Lance
2nd July 2003, 03:45 AM
Bastard! :D
great time!
i'll have to get back to that one sometime