PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Classic track

Drakkenmensch
30th June 2005, 05:30 PM
Okay, I think we can all more or less agree that the hardest track in Pure is Citta Nuova for a variety of reasons, but within the CLASSIC league, which one do you feel is most difficult to navigate - Karbonis, with its near absence of straight lines, or Manor Top, where you have to make repeated 90 degree turns over wide gaps?

My personal vote goes to Karbonis... what's your opinion?

syckls
30th June 2005, 05:36 PM
The difficulty in Manor Top is strictly due to the rapid series of 90-degree turns. All you have to do is get used to those 90-degree turns and the track is a cinch after that. Karbonis is a more complicated track and a completely different story.

Karbonis-2
Sagarmatha-0
Manor Top-0
Mandrashee-0

Mogaar
30th June 2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, Karbonis is killin' me on Phantom. I can barely squeak by with a bronze medal...

Lion
30th June 2005, 07:28 PM
I'm gonna throw my hat in on this one too.
that series of 90 degree bends just before the start/finish line just breaks me
I invested a good couple of hours on getting gold on this last night in TT. and that was only on venom!

Dogg Thang
30th June 2005, 07:32 PM
Well I'd say Karbonis will win this by a landslide.

Space Cowboy
30th June 2005, 07:54 PM
Karbonis without a shadow of a doubt is the most difficult classic track. I especially dont like the final chicane, very tricky indeed. :D
On the higher speed classes its nearly impossible to stay on the ground lol!

G'Kyl
30th June 2005, 08:59 PM
*hands up for karbonis*

I always thought gold at Karbonis was easy money till I played it in Pure... ;) Although once you get into it, it's not that difficult any more. Plus, I can't shake the feeling the AI is tweaked down a bit at this particular track. Or maybe it's just having the same problems we have...

Ben

eLhabib
1st July 2005, 11:28 AM
I used to think so, too, the final chicanes of Karbonis where giving me major headaches.

UNTIL I discovered the sideshift for my driving style. Using the sideshift, you can go through those hard turns in a straight line, dodging the apex of each turn with the shift. The only problem that remains is the last hard left turn, which goes a little further than the others, and since you are gonna be really fast using the sideshift on the turns before that, you will really need to hit the brakes hard there. Try it, it works, even on phantom, although that does require some seriously fast tapping. And it is NOT a fail-safe tactic by far - if you miss the sideshift once, you slam into a wall full speed. So be careful! It will definitely improve your times.

Drakkenmensch
1st July 2005, 03:35 PM
Well, it was the sideshift that allowed me to turn Citta Nuova from a permanent disaster to a near automatic gold each time, so that's definitely something I'll try, thanks for the heads up!

And that kind of fast tapping still makes Karbonis the hardest classic track, in my opinion ;)

Kansas
1st July 2005, 04:17 PM
Man... I am having such a hard time with Manor Top.

I don't remember it ever being this difficult, even in Phantom mode. It's like *BAM*... *BAM*... *BOOM*... *BAM*... *BOOM* CONTENDER ELIMINATED... :(

Hybrid Divide
1st July 2005, 07:58 PM
The thing that makes the final turns on Karbonis so hard is that the turns are flat.
In the original version of Karbonis, those turns are banked, making it MUCH easier in my opinion.

Anyone else agree?

Lion
1st July 2005, 10:31 PM
I think the banked turns from the track's original incarnation made it more fun but I dunno about easier, was still tricky. though part of that may be to do with wipeout bringing you to a complete stop if you even breathed on a wall

@kansas: I find manor top ok as long as I cut pretty much every 90 degree corner. it makes them seem a lot less sharp. I also switched to ag ayatems for that track in TT

Drakkenmensch
1st July 2005, 11:00 PM
For those who find the Manor Top 90 turns difficult to handle, I find that the best technique is to approach the turn on the outside lane and start a hard turn the instant that you enter the "incoming turn" markings on the track. Cut the turn very tight, you should almost be facing the direction you're turning in by the time you reach the very edge of the track just before the leap, completing the turn while in mid-air. If all goes well, you'll land on the other side oriented in the right direction, with minimal sliding toward the outside wall.

Rinse and repeat until you're done with those turns.

Kansas
1st July 2005, 11:36 PM
Manor Top would be easier to handle without everyone trying to rip your ship to pieces in the beginning, but I will take your advice into account :)

Drakkenmensch
2nd July 2005, 12:23 AM
True, but without Triakis ripping your paint job to shreds, wipEout wouldn't BE wipEout, it'd just be F-Zero.

*shudders*

Frankly, I'd rather just take my chances with rampant rockets and plasma bolts ;)

Kansas
5th July 2005, 04:49 PM
Very true about Triakis.

For me, at least, 90% of the time it's Triakis coming after me with loads of fury. The other ships aren't so evil.

Drakkenmensch
5th July 2005, 05:42 PM
Here's a question for our fellow pilots who favor Triakis then - have you noticed any one team coming at you with weapons blazing like the gates of hell unleashed since Triakis is not available to the AI players?

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 05:58 PM
I haven't actually! :lol:

Well, not strictly true, the Medievil craft becomes a bit of a bastard. I've been hammered by Auricom quite a few times as well.

syckls
5th July 2005, 07:08 PM
Different AI for different teams? Cool. Maybe it isn't a coincidence that Medievil gets picked as my rival (guy who usually wins or gets second place) half the time.

Sven
6th July 2005, 03:35 AM
Karbonis wins it by a long shot. I'm fairly certain that it's much narrower in Pure than it was originally...

I don't really have too much trouble with Manor Top though. I have the technique down for doing the ninties pretty much...

phoenixx
6th July 2005, 09:39 AM
I remember Karbonis much easier, too. would like a twistable negcon-psp. :)