PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout64 Setting

ExileInParadise
23rd June 2005, 12:57 AM
wipE'out" is set in 2052 A.D. and Wipeout 2097/XL is set in 2097 (duh).

Am I correct in thinking Wipeout64 is set in 2098 (based on Stefan Geist's quote on manual page 7) and the new availability of the Piranha II?

I did not get the box with my N64 cart, since I bought it off of eBay, so I was wondering if 2098 is the "official" setting, or if there was more info somewhere on the box maybe?

I really like the track details explaining some background about how the tracks were constructed and why... wish the other games in the series had more of that.

Seek100
23rd June 2005, 01:37 AM
I think 2098 is the most official a date you're gonna get, WO64 was just a very shoddy port of the 2097 craft and a mixture of tracks from wipEout and 2097 which were given modified layouts. Giving the Piranha weapons was a terrible idea for balance as the only advantage the other teams had was the fact that Piranha couldn't fire back. :roll:

Not to mention they completely gimped the new version of Silverstream, can't remember what they called it in WO64 might be Terafumos or something, but they removed most of the difficult sections from that track.

G'Kyl
30th June 2005, 06:02 AM
As a matter of fact, 2098 is THE official date. :) It's right there in the manual: While Pierre Belmondo says a few things on the specatcle and his speach is dated 2098, the manual also mentiones the Piranha team who only came up with their revolutionary craft "last year".

Ben

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 04:56 PM
WO64 was just a very shoddy port of the 2097 craft

I believe psygnosis didn't like nintendo too much. wo 2097 had an enthusiastic background, wo 64 started with

"We race. We die. There is no beauty anymore."

But the gameplay, the handling - was all the same. wo 64 feels like a sequel of 2097 made without love.

Space Cowboy
30th June 2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, that is indeed what it feels like, but it is a great game nonetheless. It has great tracks, weapons, and soundtrack, and above all its great fun to play.
The setting however does feel a little 'darker', than that of 2097 (in the grittier sense).

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 05:19 PM
[quote] ="Space Cowboy"]but it is a great game nonetheless.[quote]

you're right, even a gloomy wipeout is a great game. I missed my negcon a lot, and I ruined at least 3 of these delicate controllers, they became unprecisely within a short time.
But that time I was just happy to have new wipeout tracks.

Axel
30th June 2005, 05:33 PM
Man i loved this game to death, shoody? hell no. WO64 was brilliant to play for a analouge user like me.

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 05:42 PM
Whenever I tried to race with D-pad I was good at putting patterns to the walls... where's that damn pit lane...
I only use analogue, and I praised the lord for the negcon.

G'Kyl
30th June 2005, 09:24 PM
But the gameplay, the handling - was all the same. wo 64 feels like a sequel of 2097 made without love.

I strongly disagree! Yes, had it been a sequel, the "all the same" argument would have some weight, but keep in mind that it's a port, not a successor.

The music? Excellent (matter of subjective taste, though, I agree - personally I clicked Ebay and got myself a Fluke cd *g*)
The graphics? Awesome (technically - artificially they had already proven their quality with 2097)
Gameplay? As you said: The same as in 2097 (hence, I love it ;) )
Track design? Maybe a bit unimaginative, but hardly anybody ever noticed, so I guess Midway did a good job there.

Sony and Nintendo really had little to do with the port, so their rivalry will not have played a role. Where I am with you, though, is that the game has a significantly darker style than any other WO, hence again, I like it. :-)

Ben

P.S.: I hope I didn't sound rude or imply I was right.

phoenixx
1st July 2005, 07:09 AM
no problem, ben.
the ships and their handling were identical. that's what I mean by 'the same'.
and by the way I guess I played wo 64 approximate a billion hours.

Hybrid Divide
20th October 2005, 04:36 AM
Personally, I loved WIpEout 64. Even if most of the tracks were mirrored ports, I LOVED how the N64 analog stick controlled. I never coiuld stand using the Dual Shock.

Oh well, It's a good game, at least I think so.

crunchysaviour
20th October 2005, 07:50 AM
The N64 controller is superior to the PS1 controller and, dare I say it, the Dual Shock (because of the position of its analogue stick).

The reason for this is that Sony made a D-pad based controller and then stuck on the analogue sticks as an afterthought, whereas Nintendo basically designed their controller around the analogue stick and stuck the D-pad on afterwards. The result is that if your thumbs are of at all reasonable size, then it's not a pain in the arse to use the stick on the Nintendo controller.

The Gamecube, Xbox and Dreamcast controllers have surpassed the N64 controller in terms of control and reliability, all with two analogue triggers each, while Sony still lives in the dark ages.

Don't even think about mentioning the PSP's useless, absurdly-positioned analogue slider thing!

eLhabib
20th October 2005, 10:41 AM
Have you even played PSP before? I'll admit, the placement can be a bit weird at first, but once you get used to it, the PSP's analog NUB is FAR superior to the N64's analog stick when it comes to precision of movement. The N64 is wobbly as all hell, and I personally didn't like its placement AT ALL.

Hybrid Divide
20th October 2005, 11:11 AM
See, Normally, I love using the D-Pad. But its placement makes using the Dual Shock nearly unusuable. For example, if I have to pull back on the stick, I have to move my thumb down and to the right.

If the stick and D-Pad had swapped places, it'd be perfect.

But then 2-D games wouldn't feel right.

Perhaps 2 different controllers are in order?

eLhabib
20th October 2005, 11:21 AM
hmm, I don't have these problems. but then my thumbs are really big. :D

Dogg Thang
20th October 2005, 11:30 AM
This has gone way off-topic folks.

JABBERJAW
25th October 2005, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't say that the piranha with no weapons in XL made the ship even with the others. Multiplayer, you wouldn't stand a chance in any ship in against it, so why not add weapons?, it's just a ship for fun anyways.