PDA

View Full Version : European Boxart (Confirmed..?)

Mobius
18th June 2005, 11:05 AM
I know there is a thread on this but just to make sure, Amazon and Game both have released the boxart for the european version...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0007NLSHY.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It is the one we have seen before but for those who havent seen it, what do you think?

Dogg Thang
18th June 2005, 11:07 AM
I like it. I like the fact that it is more graphic than both the US and JP versions. Nice.

Lion
18th June 2005, 11:52 AM
very cool, I hope the australasian version looks like that too :)
anyone else think it's weird that they use the psx controlpad silhouette for psp titles?

Mobius
18th June 2005, 11:56 AM
When you see that shape you instantly recognise it to gaming - it is an icon in itself.

eLhabib
18th June 2005, 01:29 PM
definitely better than the jap and US boxart. w'o'' always had rather iconized boxart (except for fusion), so I wasn't really fond of purE showing basically a 'normal' render on the box. although it definitely is some sweet CG! Still, the simplicistic style of the euro box fits the w'o'' spirit much better.

Lance
18th June 2005, 03:09 PM
the somewhat abstracted and detached background gives it a focussed intensity that i like.
BAM!

sip
18th June 2005, 03:27 PM
YAY! At least people in Europe will be rewarded with an amazing design-driven cover for their long wait :D

Didn't the Japanese version get some deign inside, so that you could see through the transparent box? I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere....it had the speed for each class listed? I wonder if the Europe versions will get something cool like that.

On a side note, North America usually gets bad box art. For exmaple, they often tend to take off actual artwork for Japanese games, and slap on a CG image. Perfect example, taking off Range Murata's cover for Spy Fiction. Worst mistake ever!

Hellfire_WZ
18th June 2005, 04:09 PM
The inside of the Japanese box had some sort of collage of the team logos. Nice, but not something you could look at for long periods without it sending your head funny.

conrad
18th June 2005, 08:14 PM
Really nice looking box art that.

Sausehuhn
19th June 2005, 11:14 AM
erm, the boxart was posted already...
but hey - it still looks good :D

Rapier Racer
4th August 2005, 12:03 AM
Are HMV selling both the UK and US verisons? A little search for Wipeout Pure on their site brought back two different Pure boxes one to be released on 1st with the PSP with the art shown above and the other which is the US box art (ins't it?) to be released on the second

http://www1.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?pGroupID=-1&simpleSearchString=wipeout+pure&primaryID=-1&btnSearchGo.x=0&btnSearchGo.y=0

Drakkenmensch
4th August 2005, 12:27 AM
This box cover is threading on the thin line between objective representation and subjective symbolism - that really does it for me!!! :clap

Sumimasen
4th August 2005, 07:33 AM
As a designer and illustrator, I could go off on one about how great this artwork is compared to the other two regions, using words like 'juxtaposition' etc. but that would be so unlike me...

I fink it's reeeeely good! :D

(Kinda harks back to the de-volved design work of the original PS1 trilogy - closer to the Designer's Republic's original vision than anything post W'O"3 SE)

...Juxtaposition! :P

Sven
4th August 2005, 03:55 PM
It's like a combination of Wipeout and Wipeout 3...

Drakkenmensch
4th August 2005, 04:07 PM
*sneaks behind Sven on tippy toes*

JUXTAPOSITION!!!

*snickers and runs away very fast*

Captain Q
4th August 2005, 06:19 PM
Great dynamics, contrast, composition and style. I absolutely love it.

Lance
4th August 2005, 10:39 PM
symbolic transference. cool.

Sven
4th August 2005, 11:25 PM
*has heart attack from juxtaposition of loud noise and silence*

Drakkenmensch
4th August 2005, 11:30 PM
*appears ninja-like and pelts Sven with dozens of magic the gathering cards*

BWA HA HA Juxtapose!!!
http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/legends/juxtapose.jpg

*cackles and throws smoke bomb at his feet*

*smoke vanishes but he's still there*

Damn it, last time I buy ninja gear at Akbar's Ninjasmatic Supplies!

wirehang
5th August 2005, 12:08 AM
The UK cover is absolutely brilliant! Well done.

matt

UK
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0007NLSHY.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

USA / JP
http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.25622.001.jpg http://image4.play-asia.com/350/PA.05975.019.jpg

edit by Lance: IMG tags removed. series of images over guideline limit.

Rapier Racer
5th August 2005, 12:22 AM
ooo I don't know look at the Japanese one, makes Euro look like crap

diagram
5th August 2005, 12:27 AM
I like the euro one best, the US and JP look more ACTION PACKED than aesthetically pleasing. I'd go for aesthetics rather than xxxxtttrrrrreeeeemmmmeee. (which puts US in 3rd in the ranks of interesting viewing)

wirehang
5th August 2005, 12:31 AM
Euro still for me, it's beautiful design. we can get the adrenaline in the game

Drakkenmensch
5th August 2005, 12:50 AM
Japanese cover looks awesome to me as well - it looks like holding it in your hands is life threatening because you're about to be crushed under those barelling crafts ;)

eLhabib
5th August 2005, 12:52 AM
think of it as this: US and JAP covers = blockbuster movie; euro cover = art

Lance
5th August 2005, 02:04 AM
how many times do we have to tell people to read the guidelines?
no image over 50 Kb and NO SERIES OF IMAGES TOTALLING OVER 50 Kb
don't the guys who are constantly breaking this rule realise that you actually have to do more work to do the wrong thing than to do the right thing? the next-to-next-to-last member to break the image-posting rule [only a few days ago] had his account deactivated for a day by infoxicated; that's an indication of how pissed off we are getting because of people who don't read and follow the guidelines

wirehang
5th August 2005, 09:10 AM
Apologies

mid
9th August 2005, 09:25 AM
Yum. Very W3O, but not quite as abstract. I like.

Purist
9th August 2005, 06:29 PM
Saw the UK boxes today in HMV for the majority of the launch titles and.... ewwwwwwwww :? they look foul

How come us Europeans always get the shi**y end of the stick when it comes to box art? The Japanese and American boxes are gorgeous!

Drakkenmensch
9th August 2005, 06:33 PM
Look at it this way guys - no matter that you may like the art or not on the WO games boxes, it will never be as repellant as the art for THESE games:

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/489/489718p1.html

Oh, the lack of humanity!!! 8O

eLhabib
9th August 2005, 10:14 PM
wow, great find! hilarious stuff :D

Purist
10th August 2005, 07:27 AM
Drakkenmensch, 8O that had me and a mate in stitches.... ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

How on earth did those get past the marketing dept?!?!

Oh, slightly off thread but with the exception of the Medievil box (funny goofy guy) the rest stink too :roll:

Do people REALLY like the Euro art?

Drakkenmensch
10th August 2005, 09:21 AM
Purist: To answer your question, there's only one way these pieces of "art" could have been selected. Two words: LOWEST BIDDER. I remember avoiding the Megaman game for over two years at the rental place because of that cover art, until someone got me to play MEgaman 2, and I figured maybe the first one wasn't as bad as the box cover suggested.

And yeah, I do like the euro box art. Because it's exactly that, art 8)

Rapier Racer
10th August 2005, 10:11 AM
In my opinion the Japanese got the best deal here, the Euro box art looks lifeless and dull, if someone who has never played Wipeout before come along which box do you think would be more persuasive?

eLhabib
10th August 2005, 11:39 AM
I said it before, I will say it again: Jap and US boxes - blockbuster movie style; euro box - art. That's the whole difference. It's the same deal like it was with w'o'' 2097/XL. The american boxart is always more action packed. To like it is a thing of personal preference, I prefer the euro design (BY FAR).

Sausehuhn
10th August 2005, 12:17 PM
erm... now one said that this cover is offical confirmed. I saw it a long time ago at a website - they weren't sure if the cover wasn't just a fake.
And after a few months everybody uses this one - always in that bad quality, right?

So maybe it could look totally different :idea:

eLhabib
10th August 2005, 12:29 PM
nope, it's on amazon. that's pretty much proof it's for real.

Rapier Racer
10th August 2005, 01:27 PM
Indeed it is real, I went into game last week and there it was

Purist
10th August 2005, 02:53 PM
Yep, got it in HMV, got ALL the boxes in HMV... I was sad enough to take a photo... when I get time I'll post em' 8O

kaiotheforsaken
11th August 2005, 01:45 AM
yeah i definately like this cover more than any other version. sweet deal, might import one just to have it look cool on my shelf.

bakeded
11th August 2005, 04:09 AM
I've got one on order from HMV to the states. I just hope they send the UK one as that's the one I ordered. I'm afraid of a mixup because the UK and US version being released on the same day. I'll just have to wait and see :D

fusionfrenzy
12th August 2005, 02:01 PM
I've got the cover, wahoo. I'm ashamed to say that I went into GAME to see the new cover, and read the new description on the back (which is much better than the US one), I lost myself in a reckless moment and pilfered it. Just a quick slip out of the case and into my pocket, then hid the empty plastic case :lol: . No skin off their nose, were only display boxes anyway, and they had another 2 8) . At least I can carry on playing my US version with the spankingly sexy UK covers.

If anyone wants to know what the description says on the back, just ask :D .

wirehang
12th August 2005, 02:16 PM
what does the description say on the back? :)

Egg
12th August 2005, 02:57 PM
It says: "Put the box inlay down and step away from the shelf, nice and slow, with your hands where we can see 'em."

fusionfrenzy
12th August 2005, 08:00 PM
:lol: Good one Egg. Ive noticed two typos on the Uk cover!! It says about exclusive "do loadable content" and "including ne ships". Where are the 'W's??

Anyway it also says "2197.....A new age has begun. "Pure Speed, Pure Spectacle, Pure competion, Pure adrenaline" and its all surrounded by 4 screenshots and swish white and blue. It looks very sexy. Though thats it, its way less informative than the US one, theres nothing about piloting advanced crafts or "domintation of the FX300 ". Ah well.There's no barcode on the cover, as it says "FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY" where that should be :D

Edit for Dogg Thang: It sounds like it isnt, but if you've seen it, it does look like "the real thing" when it's in your hands and youre reading it. Still, the front cover isn't going to change, and its gorrrrrrrrgeous.

Dogg Thang
12th August 2005, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the final back is different. That's clearly just a display version.