PDA

View Full Version : Time Trials using Zone ship?

wirehang
7th June 2005, 04:40 PM
I've been going through the game like so: time trials, single races, tournaments. I've just unlocked Rapier class. I did all zone races last week and unlocked the Zone ship.

Now, I intend to continue through my "tour" of the game as before. However, using the Zone ship to do Time Trails, everythign seems so easy. It used to take me 5-10 goes to get a time trial (Piranha, Tigron or Auricom) but now maybe second or third go.

I can't imagine i've improved that much at the game, so I'm left in a quandry as to whether or not to use the Zone team?

Any thoughts?

matt
Currently at 98 golds.

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 06:16 PM
that's a moral question. TO ZONE OR NOT TO ZONE :D personally, I chose to stick with my beloved Assegai, even though it admittedly IS a lot easier with the zone, at least in the TTs (although they didn't really cause me any trouble anyway...)

I think of the zone ship as a bonus, just for some extra fun, but it is nothing I can identify with like the normal teams, so I choose not to use it for regular racing.

Dogg Thang
7th June 2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'm the same as you eLhabib, although I have to admit to caving and using it for the Sebenco Peak TT which is quite tough. I feel guilty for it though. I know some people disagree but I really wish that there wasn't a ship that outshines the others. I'd love more balance so that it really was down to personal style. That's just me though...

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 06:42 PM
heh, understandable that you had to resort to the zone ship instead of your lame-ass feisar :D :D :D

just kidding :wink:

Hellfire_WZ
7th June 2005, 06:49 PM
I started off using other ships, but I gave in when I reached Rapier class. I pretty much used it just so I could get the golds on my tally, now I'm going back through with other ships, most notably Triakis. I'm actually finding it a surprisingly good craft.

Dogg Thang
7th June 2005, 06:58 PM
Heh, as much as I love Feisar (and have since way back on WO1) it has indeed always been lame-ass.

*sigh*

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 07:15 PM
my love has shifted from AG-5Y5, in w'o'' and 2097, to Assegai, in w3o and purE, with a little sidestep to EG.r in Fusion, due to lack of both aforementioned teams.

JABBERJAW
7th June 2005, 07:18 PM
It's not really that much faster, The stats are misleading. It's not so dramatic as the earlier games

wirehang
7th June 2005, 10:59 PM
Well, I've tried Auricom on one of the courses and I've got a faster lap than with that. So I'm less worried. ;)

matt

Lion
8th June 2005, 06:30 AM
I am on 88 medals with rapier open and am yet to get access to the zone ship (I just can't seem to get past zone 27 on track 3 yet, but I'm improving!) and I find that after a good 10 tries at the same track with one ship that I know well I can switch to pretty much any other ship and get a better time than in the one I've just been using.
since the first gamma pack went live I've been using mainly the tigron but I have best times on some tracks in assegai, qirex, piranha, ag systems or medieval. though generally I find the medieval too twitchy for my capabilities
my theory on this is that a change of ship makes you more aware of what you are doing as you have to drive slightly differently to what you had been to that point, so any laziness that had crept in is swept away and a good laptime ensues

wirehang
8th June 2005, 09:47 AM
Good point, Lion

eLhabib
8th June 2005, 11:17 AM
true that. when hunting for fast times, I always drive a couple of laps with the Triakis, until I can get nice times with this very heavy ship. then I switch to my Assegai and WHAM shave of those few seconds I have been missing because the ship is just SO agile!