PDA

View Full Version : Qs from non owners ..

zargz
7th June 2005, 12:14 PM
You don't own Pure?
And you have a question about it for a wipEr who does own it?
Ask here! 8)

I got two questions to begin with:

1. Is there a cockpit view?

2. Are there any Replays?

aesop
7th June 2005, 01:15 PM
There's no cockpit view and there's no replays.

zargz
7th June 2005, 01:25 PM
Okay. Another Q:

When playing a SR/Tournament ( League? ) how are the points divided at the end of a race in the top 8 (coz I gather there are a max of 8competitors? > a Q within a Q!!! 8O )?

1st gets 10, 2nd 8 ... or ??!

Hellfire_WZ
7th June 2005, 01:36 PM
8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. That two point gap between the top two spots can be pretty annoying if you have one bad race.

zargz
7th June 2005, 01:47 PM
:D heh! Even meaner than the originals 9,7,5,4,3,2,1,0!
I like that - a Lot! 8)

Since I won't be owning Pure for a long, long time from now - I'll be back with more Qs!
Any other non owner - ask away here!

Rapier Racer
7th June 2005, 02:17 PM
After seeing the ship stats a while back I want to know, does the Assegai handle like the WO 3 Auricom?

Dimension
7th June 2005, 02:47 PM
The physics of the game is very different, the handling feels very different without bounce and pitch. The Assegai doesn't steer all that well really, the AG5y5 seems most like how it used to handle and that's simply because it's one of just a few ships that steer fairly well :wink: It doesn't exactly feel like an auricom though (the new Assegai I mean)

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 03:33 PM
doesn't steer that well?! the assegai is precise like a scalpel when it comes to cutting corners!

zargz
7th June 2005, 04:51 PM
I read something about respawning. Does that mean there's no wusswagon?

Sausehuhn
7th June 2005, 05:02 PM
Do you get points for eliminations or perfect laps in a league?

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 06:13 PM
no, and no.

Lion
7th June 2005, 07:01 PM
I read something about respawning. Does that mean there's no wusswagon?you teleport back a bit when you leave the track (in some cases most of the length of a straight) there is no wuss wagon.
the same happens after a bit of a delay if you manage to land on your roof. if this happens you generally wind up back in 8th

phoenixx
8th June 2005, 06:53 AM
After seeing the ship stats a while back I want to know, does the Assegai handle like the WO 3 Auricom?

I agree to eLhabib: after trying all ships I decided to use assegai only: it steers precisely, it's fast enough and most important: it accelerates fine. I started to love it.

So I play two different games now: one using assegai and one using zone.

Greetings from Germany

Dimension
8th June 2005, 07:01 PM
No way, I never thought the Assegai's steering was all that. Then again i only used it once :wink:

eLhabib
8th June 2005, 07:47 PM
give it a try, it's like switching from normal alpine skiing to carving :wink:

Rapier Racer
8th June 2005, 10:12 PM
You can just see the conversionist at work here cant you :P

eLhabib
9th June 2005, 07:53 AM
:wink:

zargz
9th June 2005, 11:58 PM
Can the Bomb be shot at? >> thus destroyed?

Animagic
10th June 2005, 03:34 AM
yes you can destroy the bomb
I usually use rockets to blow it up before I hit it (if I'm so fortunate to have picked up rockets at the time)

I learned I could prematurely destroy the bomb by watching the AI do it.
How cool is that?!?!

I have yet to discover if you can launch a projectile to fool a homing missile like you could in the first wipeout... can anyone confirm if this can be done?

Lion
10th June 2005, 05:14 AM
Can the Bomb be shot at? >> thus destroyed?this has already been answered but there's more to it... there is still a proper blast radius no matter how it's set off., so if you are too close it's possible to take damage even though you blew it up with something other than your ship. the best solution is to avoid it entirely. shield is also good, though it doesn't last long.

zargz
16th June 2005, 11:14 PM
I hear the plasma doesn't result in instant elimination.
:?: How much approximately, in %, does it take of your shield/life?

Hellfire_WZ
17th June 2005, 08:16 AM
Depends on the ship, but in a Triakis it takes off around 60%, and an AG-S around 80%.

username
17th June 2005, 08:20 AM
heres a question
what the hell is a wuss wagon 8O . is it that crane/hover ship that puts you back on the track in wo1 and 2 and that flying tv in wo3 with kurly on it? :? :oops:

Lion
17th June 2005, 09:19 AM
yeah it's what the people on here have affectionately nicknamed the little things that carry you back onto the track when you stray too far. replaced by an automated teleport in pure.

username
19th June 2005, 07:38 PM
new Q. ive been meaning to ask this for so long but always forgot:
is there a timeout like in wipeout 2(097) and 3.or if it is not on do you get an option to turn it on and off like in wo3

Dogg Thang
19th June 2005, 07:46 PM
No timeout, which is nice.

zargz
19th June 2005, 08:45 PM
Nice indeed!
The arcade feeling >> Out the door! GONE ! 8)
Better 'Real feel'!

username
21st June 2005, 10:22 AM
ive been hearing something being called medievil mode 8O , what is it :?
if i did not like it could i turn it off because i heard that it is activated at 70 gold awards

phoenixx
21st June 2005, 10:26 AM
after 70 x gold you get access to the medievil team - with a funny looking ship.
you don't have to use it. :wink:

Lance
21st June 2005, 12:05 PM
phoenixx, i eliminated your unnecessary quote of the post just before yours. you did this same thing yesterday. this is against the WipeoutZone guidelines. please read them. [and follow them, too, of course. :) ]

phoenixx
21st June 2005, 02:10 PM
sorry, lance. I read that line by line now. :wink:

username
28th June 2005, 12:05 PM
so anyhow :?

what are the classic tracks in pure i only know that there are 4! :cry:

Dogg Thang
28th June 2005, 12:25 PM
They are Karbonis, Sagamartha, Manor Top, Mandrashee.

Drakkenmensch
28th June 2005, 02:29 PM
Username - whenever I look at the Medievil ship, I'm immediately reminded of the Batwing plane from the Batman movie with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson ;)

Space Cowboy
28th June 2005, 02:36 PM
Yeah, lol :) Its very similar. It looks too delacate to handle the bashing that an AG race would entail.

phoenixx
28th June 2005, 02:36 PM
I think the medievil ship doesn't really suit into the world of wipeout - but I like it's hanging wings look. I guess batman would chose medievil.

zargz
28th June 2005, 02:48 PM
Drakkenmensch: seems like you posted in the wrong thread. Let's keep this one clean only Qs and As here! Thanks! :robot

username
29th June 2005, 11:38 AM
I think the medievil ship doesn't really suit into the world of wipeout - but I like it's hanging wings look. I guess batman would chose medievil.

so its actualy a ship and not a mode that makes all the ships look wierd then or what? :oops:
edit:
can anyone please get a link to see an image of it :?: thanks lots

manortop and mandarashe are mty 2 faivorite tracks!! :lol: YES

phoenixx
29th June 2005, 11:49 AM
Yes - it's a ship that you unlock after 70 x gold.

It's a strange looking ship with wings like axes, looking like hanging batwings from behind. The nose reminds of knight's lances.

Drakkenmensch
29th June 2005, 12:31 PM
Precisely. It's a very fast, very maneuverable ship that's built out of cardboard and duct tape. Speed is 4, handling is 4, thrust is 5 and shields is an abysmal 1. That ship will either get you first place or get you blown up.

There is a mode where things look different though - the Classic league features tracks from the previous games, remastered into a bright neon Tron-esque style with highly polygonal ships that will instantly remind you of the original playstation graphics. These four tracks are Karbonis (WO), Sagarmatha (WO 2097), Manor Top (WO3) and Mandrashee (WO Fusion). Upcoming downloadable packs are rumored to have more Classic tracks.

phoenixx
29th June 2005, 12:38 PM
built out of cardboard and duct tape
ROFL
As fast as you can get blown up with that ship i tend to believe that.

Did anybody compare wether the classic tracks are precisely like the originals?
I don't like this TRON-style too much.

Hellfire_WZ
29th June 2005, 12:44 PM
As close as can be with the new physics. Sagarmatha is spot on. Obviously Mandrashee had to be tweaked a bit as the corkscrew wouldn't have worked, but I like the way they emulated it by having the track tilt sharply one way and then roll back the other. Manor Top seems far more difficult than I remember, and Karbonis... *shudder*.... I've wrecked several billion pounds worth of ships on that track...

Lion
29th June 2005, 12:49 PM
the tron styled tracks are set in some kinda VR construct, which is why the sparks and explosions look pixellated
"Neo-tronic" is the term the game uses for both the classic and zone tracks. Zone being "Neo-tronic Albino"

poprock
29th June 2005, 01:24 PM
As far as I can tell, the pixellated look has been acheived by simply switching off the anti-alias when you race those tracks.

eLhabib
29th June 2005, 02:07 PM
ROFL

uhm...NO.
Edges are still clean as you might notice.

poprock
29th June 2005, 02:15 PM
Fair enough... Checking out screenshots online sure makes it look as though I'm wrong.

I'll have another look when I'm back home with my PSP anyway. ;)

Drakkenmensch
29th June 2005, 02:23 PM
The neotronic look of the classic tracks is quite intentional, yes. The backgrounds are blazing with neon signs that scroll smoothly, and the ships are minimalistic renderings of their usual selves - notice how they are made of several polygonal blocks with no direct link between them, but each block is rendered with crisp perfection.

Lion
29th June 2005, 07:03 PM
where I used the term pixellated earlier it was something of a misnomer. the explosions are made up of a number of small squares, but there is a gap between each.
My impression as gathered from this was to make it appear more like a slightly primitive computer construct. there is no technical reason why it would be necessary from the game, it was an aesthetic decision that (believe it or not) works well in the context

it actually evokes memories of those virtuality units that started popping up at the beginning of the 90s

username
30th June 2005, 10:11 AM
[quote="Drakkenmensch"]Precisely. It's a very fast, very maneuverable ship that's built out of cardboard and duct tape. Speed is 4, handling is 4, thrust is 5 and shields is an abysmal 1. That ship will either get you first place or get you blown up.

sounds a bit like the first time piranah was introduced on the ps1 exept for worse shield energy :lol:

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 02:34 PM
Is the screen of the PSP as big as this picture or smaller/bigger? (I'm surfing with 1024*768, if you're surfing with a higher resolution the pic should be smaller, so please just answer if you're surfing with the same resolution as I do)

>> http://www.armchairempire.com/images/previews/psp/wipeout-pure/wipeout-pure-21.jpg

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 02:39 PM
it's 95 x 53.5 mm
(can't refer to the pic; I'm surfing with 1920 x 1200)

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 02:42 PM
ok, then it's smaller :(

Hellfire_WZ
30th June 2005, 02:45 PM
*holds PSP up to monitor* The screen is a bit bigger.

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 02:46 PM
@ Hellfire

another resolution?

Hellfire_WZ
30th June 2005, 02:49 PM
Same as you, 1024x768

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 02:52 PM
I believe you won't be disappointed; everybody I showed the machine has been astonished about the little screen's quality. And after 5 minutes you totally forget it's a handheld. It the same speed rush, highly addictive. *opens the drawer and takes out the machine*

Drakkenmensch
30th June 2005, 02:56 PM
I find that the screenshots you find on the net of wipEout purE hardly do justice to the quality of the PSP screen. Even the streaming video you find on gamespot and such is of very poor quality in comparison. When I show the game to people and have them take a spin on Vineta K, "WOW!" is the reaction I get every time.

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 03:06 PM
Toys"R"Us wrote at their howepage, that they have the PSP if you want to test it. Maybe I will go to the next shop this or next week.
I haven't seen a PSP in reality yet. And 6 days before it's availaable I have birthday -> perfect birthday present
But I don't wanna get a console I never had in my hands.
But I'm sure this won't happend - I love Toys"R"Us ;)

Sumimasen
30th June 2005, 03:07 PM
Absolutely! Every single person I have shown the PSP to has said the same kinda thing, along the lines of: 'Jesus, that's a big screen!!!'

Even when I first used a PSP I couldn't believe the fidelity and definition of that thing! (and I was already aware of the hype, being a subscriber to Edge...) The overall resolution (figures) don't seem to be that high, but the image quality seems far better than they would lead you to believe. 8O

I've managed marathon sessions with none of the eye strain I got with my GBA SP (I think that leaves me wide open to all sorts of smutty inuendos...)

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 03:12 PM
d'accord. After downloading the gamma tracks I found myself happy like a little child gliding around in free play mode just watching the lovely details.

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 03:14 PM
@ phoenixx

Uuuuuuuuuubermall :D

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 03:19 PM
@sausehuhn

Uuuuuuuuuubermall: looks and feels awesome in a light and friendly way.

and exostra looks opposite: it's this 2097&bladerunner thing... dark and menacing... i love both

Drakkenmensch
30th June 2005, 03:20 PM
*giggles happily for the gamma packs*

Anybody else get the feeling that Exostra Run was designed to be an all-out heavy weapons battle track? ;)

eLhabib
30th June 2005, 03:29 PM
sausehuhn, don't worry about the size of the screen. I knew the exact measurements of it weeks before I got my PSP, and still, when I finally held it in my own hands, I just couldn't believe how f*king big it really is! 8O don't get fooled by comparing it to a picture on your monitor, even if it should be the same size, it will still look a lot smaller on your monitor. Trust me, PSP's screen is much more than big enough!

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 03:31 PM
I'm glad to hear that!!! :D

phoenixx
30th June 2005, 03:51 PM
@ sausehuhn

guess what I hold in my hand
..uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuubermall :dizzy

the dangerous thing about that lil machine is that I can take it to work.
now AG pursues me in my allday. caution!

Sausehuhn
30th June 2005, 03:54 PM
I saw Uuu[...]uuubermall at some movies and it's really incredible how much power this little machine has.
I can't wait to see Pure via the PS3 on a big screen ... and I can't wait to see Pure in general ;)

Now let's go back to the topic.

G'Kyl
30th June 2005, 09:07 PM
Seriously Max, don't try to compare the screen to anything you have seen so far. To me it actually appeared a lot smaller than I expected, which was until I turned on my PSP and...welll, that's the part you gotta see to believe. :-)

Drakkenmensch: Nope. Not me anyway. ;) I actually thought both Gamma 2 tracks are for pure speed - with a little turn here and there to do the racing genre justice. :-)

Ben

Lance
30th June 2005, 09:54 PM
Paul, those would be Nintenuendos. :D

username
4th July 2005, 12:43 PM
heres something else i wonderd:
could i download my own music onto pure from the memory stick or something.
for eg if i had lets say control mkl on my pc could i store it on the memory stick with the psp and play it like ita a track that came with the game?

Drakkenmensch
4th July 2005, 12:56 PM
You mean like create your own GTA radio playlist?

No such luck. I have over 600 megs of MP3s on my 1GB memory stick, but those are inaccessible from Pure.

yawnstretch
4th July 2005, 05:47 PM
That said, when the music downloads come out hopefully they will be hackable allowing us to have our own music inserted into the game.

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th July 2005, 08:52 PM
sorry to post this so late but in the first post on the thred he asks about a cockpit view.

if you pres the select button the view changes between an outside the car far, outside close and a view that is just like your head is on the front of the car.

while there are no features like a canopy, i think it is the cockpit view.

and while in cockpit view do a barrel roll of a jump. 8O

yawnstretch
11th July 2005, 08:36 PM
I seem to remember someone asking about firing quakes backwards in wipeout pure. I cant find the thread now but I could have sworn that the answer was no, you cannot fire the quake weapon backwards down the track.

Anyway - you can actually :wink: Just tried it today - muchos amusement!

syckls
11th July 2005, 08:42 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2263&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

It was agreed that you couldn't fire Quakes backwards, but you could turn around and fire them in the direction reverse that of the track.