PDA

View Full Version : the Future, not the Past

Lance
4th June 2005, 05:31 PM
my opinion:
the Wipeout Future section is exactly the place to discuss future developments or game features in more advanced versions of Wipeout. it has nothing to do with putting old Wipeouts on new machines; it's about a new game. what sort of tracks, what sort of controls, weapons, racemodes, graphics improvements, trackside actions, menus, race organisations, records keeping?
should there be individual upgrades for ships? what sort of things should be download additions? should there even be download additions? what about sponsorship? all of that is about what a newer, more advanced Wipeout should be, not about putting an old game on a new machine to get higher resolution graphics and more exciting explosions.

Wipeout Future is about the future of the game, not the past. it is about adding new things to Wipeout, about the directions it should go in its progress. if you want an even better version of the old handling, fine, discuss that. but what is the point of just transferring the old game to a newer machine? shouldn't the object of a future Wipeout be to be a better game, not just a prettier old one. as an example of what i mean, my desire for a great Wipeout even just of the present time would simply be Pure on a regular console, but with WO3 handling style in a more detailed physics engine, but with nothing else from WO3. we've already got WO3, why reproduce it on the PSP or PS3? for a Wipeout of the future we should project it beyond Pure. the future is what we should be looking at; what NEW features can the game have, and how would the Wipeout universe develop if it were real?

Dogg Thang
4th June 2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks for this topic, Lance.

I see your point and agree with it in many ways. I'm very much interested in hearing good new ideas for WO although, I think like you, I'm a Purist at heart. However I also think, given what happened with Fusion, that new additions, new directions are not always a good thing (though not always bad either!) and that part of the future of Wipeout should also be an appreciation for the past. If an older WO should be ported to another console, or a handheld, it opens the door to a new audience, maybe even a new way to play. That can also be a part of WO's future.

Take Darkstalkers on the PSP for example. Old, old game admittedly. Never before has this game been playable on the go - ever. For Darkstalkers fans this was an exciting concept - certainly was for me. Now there are topics for discussion open to that game, as control is an issue, just as there would be topics for discussion on how an older incarnation of WO could move to a new setting. What's the point of just transferring an old game to a new machine? For handhelds, I would say that's obvious and the addition of wi-fi play opens up a whole new experience for those of us who never linked up the old WO games. As for other consoles, I don't know - higher resolutions, smoother framerates. Who knows what possibilities they can offer if it's not allowed to be a topic of conversation?

It's not my place to say what the point of the Wipeout Future board is but discussing the concept of an older WO being converted to new consoles in the future seems to cover both the "Wipeout" and the "Future" part of that.

As for being something that has been discussed before, yes it has. You're right. Many times. But then so has every topic you listed in your post. Not sure that makes it any less valid if it leads to good conversation. I should point out that one of the topics you closed was very much speculation on what Sony has to gain, or not gain, in the future by resurrecting the WO back catalog while the one thread left open was in the process of discussing whether WO3 had changing environments or not. We share different views on what is more relevant to the future of Wipeout.

This is simply my opinion on the matter. I am a guest here and really enjoy it here. I will of course abide by the rules of the house, whatever you decide is relevant or not relevant to this board.

Lance
4th June 2005, 07:55 PM
''the one thread left open was in the process of discussing whether WO3 had changing environments or not. We share different views on what is more relevant to the future of Wipeout.''
a- the topic you refer to is ''PS3 Wipeout :)''. the discussion involving time of day and weather effects of old Wipeouts was part of discussing if it would be a good idea to have those effects on the hopefully upcoming version of Wipeout for PS3; it had nothing to do with porting the old games to PS3.
b- it was not the only topic left open; i closed two of these 'porting the old games to the new machines' topics, but left the other three still open topics alone. infoxicated had already closed another topic.

i am not a ''Purist'' at heart, i am merely saying that Pure is quite different from the earlier games, yet is still Wipeout. it is this sort of advance over earlier versions that we should be theorising about.

''What's the point of just transferring an old game to a new machine? For handhelds, I would say that's obvious and the addition of wi-fi play opens up a whole new experience for those of us who never linked up the old WO games''

we now already have a Wipeout on a handheld go-anywhere machine, that can already do wi-fi linking to other players. that new Wipeout is an advance over the earlier games; why port the old games to the machine which already has Wipeout?

if Darkstalkers is a new version of the game with new features never before played, then putting it on PSP makes sense. if no new version was going to be made, then porting an old one to the new machine might make sense, though IMO that would be shortchanging the fans. but in Wipeout we have a new game already on the new machine.

i believe that Wipeout Future should be about an even newer game for future release on the PSP or PS3 or about looking even further ahead to the possibilities of an even more advanced machine. WO1, WO2, WO64, WO3, WO3SE, and WOFusion are all old games that should be bettered by new versions, not regurgitated as the same old game on a different machine. even WOPure is already largely done as far as concepts and development are concerned. we should be theorising about the games beyond Pure, which itself is of the present in gaming, not the future.

this is the place to look forward

Dogg Thang
5th June 2005, 08:49 AM
Okay. That's fair enough. So what part of the boards should we use if we want to bring up the idea of exploiting the older games in the future? Pilots Lounge?

Task
5th June 2005, 01:58 PM
Absolutely! That's the place for all "generic" wipeout talk.

Unless you were talking about just on version. Like how WOXL came out for Mac recently. That kind of discussion is likely best started in the WOXL forum.

Go to it. 8 )

yawnstretch
6th June 2005, 10:49 PM
Seems to be a shortage of new threads.

How strange.

Manic
7th June 2005, 07:20 AM
Does it matter? As long as the material's good... Anyway I think this whole forum is depending on the "PS3 Wipeout" topic for its updates.

And if you're going to replay the same old games over and over again, why don't you go buy some Nintendo products?

Axel
7th June 2005, 11:07 AM
Maniac, it's not just Nintendo that makes repetitive sequels, everyone does. I mean Wipeout has been basically the same with just new crafts and tracks.

Manic
7th June 2005, 11:38 AM
And of the graphics and modes and teams is nothingness means you bullshit!? Seriously, the game have and must improve with the big moneys of the demands of the fans! Latest we the introductons of the mode of "Zone" and the strafing that's "Pure" saw. Oh sad is the world! Fortunately have hopes for the upcoming sequel I do with the enhancing of the graphics and microwaving of the eyes so you die a horrible death at the hands of producers the enraged can for appreciating their work NOT!

Medication I to look for have.

zargz
7th June 2005, 12:04 PM
To me, like Yoda you sound! :mrgreen:

eLhabib
7th June 2005, 12:08 PM
ROFL

Manic
7th June 2005, 12:10 PM
Sure, only I talk, like, fast and repeat myself over and over and over and never the thing end like I go hi, what you were saying again? Like friggin' Denis Learey on crack and freaking out of the peoples so I can mug them and go get more medication expensive!

JABBERJAW
7th June 2005, 04:36 PM
Sometimes staying the same is better than taking two steps back, and then only one step foward. :wink: THe next wipeout has to have better physics than the past, not dumbing down the physics in some areas but making others better. Make the whole thing better, but with still the correct feel

Manic
8th June 2005, 11:09 AM
Yeah, but I think the real soul of the old Wipeout games was two things: the design and the handling of the ships. But what a designer of things industrial would say is that like of those things some are illogical and that is not of the functionality and must be DIED! Feeling is better than design, still functionality is best!

Lance
8th June 2005, 12:44 PM
Manic: deactivated your account for two weeks i have. maybe you'll be less bored and will bore us less by that time

Mobius
8th June 2005, 01:58 PM
First Feiyen, then Manic.

It must be the curse of the triakis avatars or something...

eLhabib
8th June 2005, 03:32 PM
much to learn this young one still has... 8)

Mobius
8th June 2005, 05:01 PM
One thing im just gonna say - why try and add a swear word to every post? Not needed. :?

Lion
9th June 2005, 05:42 AM
It must be the curse of the triakis avatars or something...are you warning us of your impending lapse of restraint?

incidentally... the X3 symbols in the triakis images... I thought they looked like fish till I saw them falling in game.. they are bombs and I didn't even notice :) makes sense for a military supply company

Lance
9th June 2005, 12:13 PM
*coff coff*
the topic, gentlemen. let us return to the topic, or if this one has been resolved, just go to other subjects in the Wipeout Future section

Animagic
9th June 2005, 01:44 PM
I think that slalom racing, or point to point racing like hydro thunder or ssx
would really work well with the wipeout series....
i dont want to see the traditional style of circuits disappear either....
the new style of race could be introduced with it's own mode, similar to the implementation of zone mode...
I think the catch-up logic of the AI racers will have to change before this kind of step could be made, however...

I also think that with all of the new things that fusion tried to do, it may have turned a lot of people
off from innovation with the wipeout series... and rightfully so.
I am starting to believe that PSP Wipeout pure might be the last of the old style wipeout games...

kind of like they are going out with a bang for the fans before some massive changes
in next-gen versions of the series...
expect chang3, right?
who knows, I am probably wrong about that... but
i hope not.

I would like to see more fleshing out of the world of wipeout in the games...
maybe have some kind of sports broadcast of the future or something...
other futuristic racers have tried this approach, however...and i am not convinced that it
can work.... it comes across kind of silly...
at the end I want to have more than just the tracks and the menus.
What else exactly I think there should be, I don't know.
The idea of training a pilot from the garage level to move into the leagues is interesting, but I think it's the wrong direction.
whatever this aditional fleshingout of the world would be,
It shouldn't just be cinemas either... there should be more interactivity with the world somehow in real-time... what do you guys think?

on a graphical note.... did anyone see the warhawk demo at the E3 conference?
project with your mind that visual capacity to wipeout.
8O

Mobius
9th June 2005, 03:18 PM
No Lion, I'm safe :P

Spaceboy Gajo
1st July 2005, 07:39 AM
there should be more interactivity with the world somehow in real-time... what do you guys think?

You mean like an online component?

Would betting on the results be something of interest? :lol:

Seriously I think a lot of the next Gen games will have customization and stress on downloadable content a la XBOX Live.

With that said, I've always wondered about a simulation mode where you create your own team and try to improve not in one season, but a few seasons like they do right now in F1. I always enjoyed the upgrade feature in Fusion. It was a departure from the series, but at least the team did something different and new. So something hard core like Forza Motorsport with the tuning of the craft, decal design or adding different aerodynamic modules to the craft. Then testing it out in Zone mode. Once you get the results that you want then you can bring it out to race track and compete with the other teams. Make it a gradual improvement. Something that will have the user saying, " just one more race and I'll get enough points to get that new engine mod..."

Fusion did the upgrade thing, but there was little reward in my opinion. All you did was race in a few leagues get some money, then upgrade. Not much of an overall rags to riches story that you look for. No sense of setting for a story. Remember Wiepout has a rich history and great storytelling. Always thought one of the best features of the series was the copy that were in the manuals or on the web sites.

Although, that would take away from the arcde-y feel that the games of the past had. If done correctly in a way that it fits in with the Wipeout feel or universe, this game would have more of a replayability factor than all of the games combined.

Heck, did it ever kill to have a track editor? If FPS games on the XBOX can have level deign tools (TimeSplitters : Future Perfect) then you can certainly make a tool for the PS3 and Wipeout. How much of the game will take up all of the disc's capacity? Adding a track editor wouldn't take up that much space. As mentioned above the game will never be left alone for a long period of time. Not only that, as I also said it's something the next gen consoles will stress and that is downloads. From racing other people's ghosts to racing their tracks these are all the things on my wish list.

We've all thought we know what a masterpiece of a game should be. However in the real world, with budgetary and time restraints these are hardly ever done.

Although this topic is what I'd like to see on a next gen installment of the series and what I've mentioned are jsut a few of the things that pop to mind or thinsg I've thought about for the longest time.

Why not placing bets in a mini-game? ;) Buy some unlockable content with the earnings.

Spaceboy Gajo