PDA

View Full Version : Contender Eliminated

aesop
4th June 2005, 03:02 PM
I don't think I've managed to eliminate a single contender yet. I throw everything I have at them, and they just keep on going.

Opposition Pilot: "Ain't No Thang!"

I vaguely remember a couple of eliminations that weren't down to me. Y'know, CPU vs CPU. Off screen of course, so I missed all the fireworks. =o I blame the "shield regeneration through the disposal of weapons" addition. It's a nice feature, and it seems to work well for both human and CPU. But it's really had an effect on my ability to BLOW. ****. UP.

eLhabib
4th June 2005, 03:20 PM
heh. true that. only had like 3 or 4 eliminations in purE yet.

Space Cowboy
4th June 2005, 05:57 PM
I see CPU on CPU eliminations quite often, especially in the tourny's.
Not many kills myself tho :(

aesop
4th June 2005, 08:12 PM
Can someone tell me why there's no Contenders Eliminated stat.

DJ Ikari
4th June 2005, 09:09 PM
I've taken down three in one race, the computer was nice enough to give me a Quake, then Rockets and keep everyone right in front of me. But the other racers helped, there were two Quakes immediately before mine.

Sven
5th June 2005, 01:24 AM
Plasma + 3 Rockets + Medieval = elimination
:)

I get them occasionally. Not often, but I've gotten some. I think I liked the pit lane system a bit more, if only they weren't so awkwardly placed. I also liked plasma bolts being instant eliminations, but I can imagine people getting frustrated with such things being spit out by the AIs.

mclarensmps
6th June 2005, 09:00 PM
mmmm i find it quite common to eliminate contenders, i havent done any more than 1 in any particular race though, that is quite a challenge.

Rapier Racer
6th June 2005, 09:39 PM
oh goody, because eliminations interrupt the smooth flow of the race

username
17th June 2005, 11:56 AM
on wipeout pure does it actually say contender eliminated or does writing come up. :?
also how do you get eliminated, do you drop to the ground with a clunk like on wo3 or explode :D

Mobius
17th June 2005, 03:35 PM
Its a nice explosion froma spectator view i think - you see ship parts go eevrywhere also.

aesop
17th June 2005, 03:52 PM
on wipeout pure does it actually say contender eliminated or does writing come up. :?

It actually says Contender Eliminated. The in-board computer has a female voice, which I like.

Hybrid Divide
17th June 2005, 04:01 PM
I second the motion for a "Contenders Eleminated" stat.

xqpx
17th June 2005, 08:18 PM
I have never eliminated another ship. Sometimes the AI opponents will kill each other, but I've never actually seen any AI ship blow up. And I have gold medals on every race and tournament...

Readymade
23rd June 2005, 03:14 AM
I second the motion for a "Contenders Eleminated" stat.

I third that. Any developers listening? Could ya maybe include that in a future download? :twisted:

Snapper
23rd June 2005, 10:55 PM
I've managed to eliminate 2 people so far. My record is 2 in a race :wink:

The double kill that I got was on the 4th lap in Sol 2 of the Flash series.
I used a quake (best weapon ever invented).

I have to admit it IS a lot harder to kill in WOP.

My record of all time is in WO64, where I eliminated 5 contenders in a race :P
2 with feisars machine gun (gotta love that weapon)
and 3 with quake (again)

phoenixx
24th June 2005, 05:41 PM
There was a challenge in wo 64 where you had to wipeout 8 (!) opponents and to end in 1st place. It took me a long time. It was the machaon ll track.

Drakkenmensch
25th June 2005, 12:48 PM
My deadliest attack so far was on a Citta Nuova race where I obtained and fired a Quake weapon. I was treated to TWO consecutive "Contender Eliminated" messages, and turning the nasty 180 degree turn, I saw the smoking crater of eliminated opponent one as well as the actual detonation of number two. I couldn't tell which ones had been destroyed though.

My favorite kill though, for sheer coolness factor, was in Modesto Heights. I started charging a plasma bolt in the super fast straight leading to the big jump right before the final 90 degrees right turn leading to the finish line, and Triakis got hit by the area blast just as he was ramming me from the left. He must have been critical already, because I received the "Contender Eliminated" message.

The two of us kept bumping up all the way through the airtime, but TRIAKIS WAS ON FIRE the whole way through! His ship exploded to bits on landing, leaving me to blast on ahead all by myself to grab the gold, leading me to utter these words which I have used countless times since whenever I pull a fast one on him: "Suck it, Triakis!"

Yup, I've taken one too many missile in the rear exhaust from Triakis, can you tell? :wink:

On another note, am I the only one here who longs for the days of 2097 when the in-race announcements were made by a Stephen Hawkings-like voice?

aesop
25th June 2005, 08:23 PM
On another note, am I the only one here who longs for the days of 2097 when the in-race announcements were made by a Stephen Hawkings-like voice?
Yeah. Can someone tell me why 2097's Auto-Pilot Engaged is the greatest Wipeout sound effect ever.

Sven
26th June 2005, 03:11 AM
It would be neat if there was one consistent voice throughout the series, like Star Trek...

Manic
26th June 2005, 01:36 PM
/ I agree with you. It would make for a better feeling.

/ Perhaps you could have different announcer voices for each track, or team. Just like you could have different HUD's for different craft you could have different "craft voices" or "interface voices". The Auricom voice would be a friendly and serene woman's voice, the Feisar's would be male with a British accent, and the Tigron's would be the voice of an evil, growling Russian dictator or something...

eLhabib
26th June 2005, 01:43 PM
sweet idea! melikesit!

Manic
26th June 2005, 02:09 PM
/ What? Russian dictators? :P

/ Hehe... I'm on a roll here. I've been silly in more than three posts the last ten minutes.

Task
27th June 2005, 03:18 AM
Can someone tell me why there's no Contenders Eliminated stat.

I'm guessing because it wouldn't be a "stat".
I mean, you can't really make a stat of "Average Number of Contenders Eliminated per race", it would be some long decimal number with no meaning.
Similarly, if you just had a counter "Contenders Eliminated: XXX" then it wouldn't be a _stat_, it would just be a counter.

I'm actually pretty glad there's no counter for it. I've seen a lot of silliness in my time from people typing just to increase their "post count", can you imagine the silliness resulting from people who flew just to increase their "elimination count"?

In my view, it would add very little, and detract significantly more.

That's just me though. And I have it on good authority that I'm crazy. 8 )

Lion
27th June 2005, 06:14 AM
it already counts how long you've spent looking at the stats screen!
and it counts the number of times you've been destroyed, it makes sense that it should have tracked how many eliminations you were responsible for.

syckls
5th July 2005, 03:59 PM
I'm guessing because it wouldn't be a "stat".
---
Similarly, if you just had a counter "Contenders Eliminated: XXX" then it wouldn't be a _stat_, it would just be a counter.
---
I'm actually pretty glad there's no counter for it. I've seen a lot of silliness in my time from people typing just to increase their "post count", can you imagine the silliness resulting from people who flew just to increase their "elimination count"?
---
In my view, it would add very little, and detract significantly more.

Ah, so you hate the idea of post count raising too. Good. Let's completely forgo the idea of post count while I make my argument.

If you're talking against a Contenders Eliminated counter on the HUD, I agree with you. It would take away potentially vital screen space for a piece of information that doesn't even pertain to the game. I'm aware that such counters are in place for Eliminator matches and such, but there is no such thing in Wipeout Pure. Although, I would have to say that although people might race because they want to eliminate as many crafts as possible, it would inevitably make way for traditional racing.

However, if you're talking against a Total Contenders Eliminated stat in the Stats screen, I disagree with you. This is something that you hardly see at all unless you're bored and want to look at the stats screen. The number of crafts you have destroyed would be a very interesting and fun thing to look at. I'm pretty sure this is not what you're talking about, and in that sense I am letting you know of a different possibility.

Lion
5th July 2005, 07:07 PM
I can't speak for the others, but I definitely meant on the stats screen
having it on the hud would be madness :dizzy

Sven
6th July 2005, 03:06 AM
I did a race that had two eliminations in one lap yesterday. Lap 4 of Staten Park on Phantom, someone got eliminated by the AI, then a Medieval came around me just before the starting grid. And I had a Plasma Bolt :D He was toast before he crossed the line. It was my coolest elimination yet!

P.S. What's the "Distance Driven by the A.I." stat referring to? The distance the autopilot takes you? The distance your ship covers while looking at the post-race screen? What?

Drakkenmensch
6th July 2005, 03:18 AM
That refers to autopilot-driven distance, yes.

And even though the plasma bolt only does large damage that is not necessarily fatal, my introduction to Wipeout through the XL version has got me referring to a direct plasma hit as a "killshot" ;)

Sven
6th July 2005, 03:39 AM
Against a Medieval, it basically is a "killshot" :wink: