PDA

View Full Version : Music in the next WipeOut game...

Kansas
1st June 2005, 09:21 PM
We all know that this series has been defined by great music and sound. If you could add three tracks to the next game, what would they be?

Here are my three:

1. Rhythm of Snow - "Getting Closer to an Unknown Goal"

**A very rare track by an Icelandic producer, who, it seems, made nothing else. The track is eerily haunting and powerful. It was featured in a Hummer 2 commercial during 2004 and earned much acclaim.

2. Juno Reactor - "Zwara"

**An amazing, pounding beat that is begging to be raced around the track. Of couse, for the game, a remix omitting the crazy Gypsie lady going nuts near the end--or, maybe altogether--could be the best option.

3. The Future Sound of London - "Slider"

**Another rare track. The ISDN album rarely gets any mention. It remains a work of art and an enigma, even a decade after its release. Slider, with its steady, thumping breakbeat would be perfect for the WipeOut series.

What do you think of my choices?

Lance
1st June 2005, 09:39 PM
i think they probably should have been posted in the longrunning topic ''music you feel should've been in Wipeout, but hasn't been'' located here:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1450
there you'll find a huge number of music track nominations for Wipeout use

Kansas
1st June 2005, 09:41 PM
awww... man... I messed up again. I feel like such an idiot.

Kansas
1st June 2005, 09:44 PM
please delete this thread since it is obsolete.

Lance
1st June 2005, 09:47 PM
don't worry about it; the archive of posts has gotten very large, and it's hard to know everything that's been posted. try using our search engine before posting a new topic that's likely to have been talked of before. it's either that or read EVery post before posting anything. i did that before ever making my first post, but that was a long time ago and there were a whOle lot fewer posts than there are now

Thruster2097
1st June 2005, 09:59 PM
If it is music that is currently available, or has already been released, then it's too old.
If the soundtrack to pure is anything to go by, and for the purpouses of this conversation it is, then mr. average wiper is leaning more toward the breakbeat and, dare I say it, urban music scene.

From the launch of the very first WipEout, psygnosis were onto a winner because the key demographic for people buying the new PSX were the exact target audience for wipeout. WipEout had the tunes that the gamers/clubbers/PSXowners wanted to listen to.
With the immense popularity of the PSP, it must've been a very hard task to find a key demographic. Well, "everyone from 7 to 70" doesnt quite cut it with management, so thats why the soundtrack in pure has evolved.

As for a soundtrack to WipEout for PS3 (and back to topic), the people who bought the original wipeout just wont be interested in any of the next gen home consoles, I know I wont be. Let me explain:
I was 14 when wipeout was launched, and gaming was a hobby which my parents helped me with. I have gone through my early 20s with buckets of expendable income (and I have many PS2's, a rusty gamecube and an xbox to prove it!) and I am now bang on target for my mid 20s, where I am thinking more about mortgages, children and life insurances.
/end of life story

I guess what I'm saying is that the original fans of the game will be moving on to new and more boring things other than gaming. WipEout will have to adapt to a new and younger audience. This is apparent in pure, and will be even more so in any future releases.

So, kansas, those are three good tracks, and perfect for the wipeouts that I know and love. For new tracks for a new wipeout, look for labels and artists that have not been created or found yet, because the classic experience of wipeout will be replaced and rejuvenated on the PS3.

Kansas
1st June 2005, 10:14 PM
I dunno, bro. I think WipeOut: Pure has a great soundtrack. I am older than you, actually, and I face some of the similar situations but I maintain my love for the series and the music... I don't see the music's direction shifting, however, there are new artists to be exposed, of course...

Thruster2097
1st June 2005, 10:31 PM
heh thats cool, youre entitled to your opinion.
It must be a british music thing then. I mean our best selling single last week is a freakin' frog ringtone!!! There is just no emoticon to signify how angry that makes me feel, to this one :bombhead will have to do.
As much as I love the wipeout series in general, I know that it has to change to suit its new audience, and that kinda scares me.

Lance
1st June 2005, 10:36 PM
i do not envision/enaurate myself playing Wipeout whilst listening to any form whatsoever of inner city thumpity humpity, nor youngcountry, nor indeed much of anything except electronica or baroque or nothing but the sfx. but i am an old codger and somewhat opinionatedly ferocious in my tastes

Kansas
1st June 2005, 10:44 PM
Thruster, do you notice a shift in the direction of the music? I mean, the music is still edgy and fits the atmosphere of the game.

Thruster2097
1st June 2005, 10:59 PM
Some of it definatley does. The new cold storage track "onyx" absolutely nails the atmosphere and the pace of the game.

Tracks like the jay tripwire one, and the freq nasty one just dont have any appeal to me.
Even the game's theme tune - rennie pulgren + roxiller - bug, maybe a good track on its own, but cannot and should not be allowed as an in-game audio track.

I could split the entire souldtrack to pure into two distinct halves, good and bad.
But I'm not going to carry on about how much I dont like the new musical direction for pure, I've already had a few harsh and thought provoking words from Al Sartwell about this.

I hope the soundtrack for future wipeouts remains true to its roots. :)

Kansas
2nd June 2005, 12:17 AM
by the way, who wrote the intro track, and is it selectable?

Thruster2097
2nd June 2005, 07:18 AM
the intro track is by paul hartnoll, apparently, but thats not the one I mean.
When I say theme tune, I mean its the little piece of music that you get when you put the disc in your psp... with the tiny animations.... More like an "attract" screen.

Kansas
2nd June 2005, 10:25 PM
what's the name of that track. it's awesome.

Thruster2097
2nd June 2005, 11:05 PM
rennie pulgren + roxiller "Bug" is that track.

Kansas
2nd June 2005, 11:35 PM
of course... we're referring to the one that plays with the intro vid, right?

Spaceboy Gajo
1st July 2005, 06:39 AM
rennie pulgren + roxiller "Bug" is that track.

What an appropriate name. Like those things used by TV stations to put their logo on one corner of your screen :)

Captain Q
31st July 2005, 03:47 PM
Hey,

Haven't been here for quite some time now, sorry. Anyway...

If it is music that is currently available, or has already been released, then it's too old.

I agree, but on the other hand: wouldn't a perfect blend of old and new music not be more stimulating and interesting?

If the soundtrack to pure is anything to go by, and for the purpouses of this conversation it is, then mr. average wiper is leaning more toward the breakbeat and, dare I say it, urban music scene.

I'd kill myself if WO ever had "rural" music, lol. I can imagine myself flying Manor Top on "Dueling banjos" or Dolly Parton's "Nine to five".

Q

Sumimasen
31st July 2005, 07:00 PM
Music in games is always SOOOO subjective. I always thought that 2097 had the best soundtrack of the W'O" games, but recently I've really started liking W'O"3's tunes (especially love the Team themed tunes by Sasha). Pure's soundtrack did grate on me to begin with (except for Paul Hartnolls tracks and Onyx), but that's really growing on me too.

TBH, I'm a right freak where my music tastes are concerned, but I think that the W'O" games could do with a spot of industrial sound as well as the established techno.

I could imagine rattling round Exostra Run to Front Line Assembly's 'Plasticity' for example. Or Sol 2 to Front 242's 'Crapage'...

...But then I love my industrial music!...

:roll:

Mobius
1st August 2005, 06:44 PM
i would like to see and instrumental version of "First Day" by Timo Mass on it.

tapioca
1st August 2005, 11:42 PM
I already mentionned it somewhere, but some tracks from Two Lone Swordsmen "Tiny Reminders", should sound good (BROOTLE, Death to all Culture Snitches, Machine Maid http://www.bleep.com/current_item.php?selection=WARP77_DM). Maybe with a little remixing session. Sumi, you should check it…

I think the music in 2097 was the more interesting of the series. Many tunes in it had that little something that reminds in your head after playing. Maybe that means it wasn't only a game soundtrack, but just good music. Many tracks also that i can listen outside of context, without being indulgent because it comes from a game i appreciate.

For an instance, i spent 2 years without playing Fusion and there were only two tracks i could remember (Elite Force's "Switchback" UFO sound, and maybe BT). I did the same with 2097 (not intentional, as i didn't own the game anymore for a few time), and i still had almost every tune in mind. For wip3out, i can hardly play Sasha tracks off-context (especially not Xpander, even if i admit it sounds cool ingame).
I guess it isn't a matter of music genre, considering that my tastes are quite eclectic (from folk to contemporary or experimental, jazz to metal, whatever…).

For Pure, i'd go for Elite Force, Friendly, Ming+FS, Plump DJ's (the synth would sound cheap alone, but it works good here), and maybe Themroc (would sound great with more industrial sounds).

So is it a clue or is it just me ? Anybody else having the same experience of "my memory will decide which one stands out".

X
31st August 2005, 07:23 AM
Anything by the Prodigy is fine with me :D
I think "Girls" would be a great track for a WipEout game, "Hotride" too or "Spitfire"

When I bought my PS1, my first game was WipEout 2097. I was blow away when I heard "Firestarter" in it

steninja
15th September 2005, 07:23 PM
how about...

Panacea - Tron RMX
Atari Teenage Riot - Delete Yourself
Prodigy - Spitfire (that would be well cool with the reverb on the beat)
Ferry Corsten - Punk
N.W.A. - Gansta Gangsta (Aphrodite Drum n Bass mix)

superjar
18th September 2005, 09:58 PM
I'll really like to see these tracks on a wipeout game

Chemical Brothers - Leave Home (Underworld Mix #1) -> great fast track, perfect for WO, in my opinion

Gearwhore - 11:11 -> great breakbeat track

Aphex Twin - Polynomial-C (Much better than the Aphex Twin's track that appears in WOPure)

Xeogear
18th September 2005, 10:27 PM
PPK:Resurection
Taucher: Fantasy (Sunbeam Remix)
LCD: Endor fun

MaxxMedievil
28th September 2005, 07:00 PM
Linkin Park................................ :!:
.........or something like that....................... :?:
no...................................
..............sorry for disturb............................. :oops:

I realy like this guys, and run mad when i'm racing and listening them :twisted:

Sorry Again to all of you :D

----------------------

..................................sorry........... .......but........what do you think about................
........................THE CULT, ELECTRIC :twisted:
..................................POWERFULL :twisted:......................................... ..............

:brickwall NOBODY UNDERSTAND ME ................................

edit by Lance:two immediately successive posts by same author [against the guidelines {i.e.: rules} have now been combined into one post.

SECOND WARNING

eLhabib
28th September 2005, 07:23 PM
whow, man, get OFF that medication! NOW! :dizzy

Lance
28th September 2005, 07:34 PM
Maxx, we already told you about this double-posting in quick succession thing. it's a no no no

Shem
28th September 2005, 08:29 PM
'it's a no no no'

:lol: Why would you treat him like a dog that pissed on the carpet? No offence guys, it just sounded like .... :lol:

Lance
28th September 2005, 08:43 PM
i was trying to be funny about the duplication thing :)

sigh. i have no talent for comedy

MaxxMedievil
28th September 2005, 09:32 PM
sorry for the duplication, i don't do that again, i miss the first one, i think.

randomperson1
29th September 2005, 03:48 PM
I don't think ps3 wipeout's music should differ (in style) to pure's. It suits futuristic racers perfectly.