PDA

View Full Version : XLink Kai

Jqwerty
27th May 2005, 01:10 AM
Anyone play Pure online? It's not as good as infastructure would be, but it works.

Sven
27th May 2005, 08:00 PM
I wish I could, but I don't have a wireless router.

yawnstretch
27th May 2005, 08:08 PM
Ditto

Lion
27th May 2005, 09:32 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to get my mac sharing our internet connection over it's internal airport card but no luck so far. would be keen if I can manage that

defor
27th May 2005, 10:42 PM
I play it frequently on lunch breaks at work and at home using a powerbook, a mac mini, and my 10.4 OSXS Raid system...
basically get the newest xlink kai gui release, plug the mac onto ethernet - the backbone you will connect the psp to the internet on can NOT be the same as the one you connect to the psp with- thus a laptop connecting to the internet on airport cannot also route for psp.
disable airport
next, once you verify the mac is online, launch kaidosxmenu
pull the menu down to preferences
set sniff device to en1 (airport card- en0 is ethernet which obviously the psp can't connect through)
say ok to close the preferences.
next, put wipeout pure into multiplayer mode and the wifi light on the psp should light,
enable airport on the mac and connect to the computer to computer network PSP_________ (varies based on each psp)
now, start kaid via the menu.
Now, Open Gui Amaryllis, and connect to the localhost address 127.0.0.1 as defaulted.
now create an account and enter it in the connection prompt, and you should now be connected to the xlink server system.
click on the consoles tab in amaryllis to make sure your psp is listed as a little red globe, if it is, you can go find an arena, or just idle in the lobby and play someone you know is there... it's technically best to go to the wipeout pure arena to go find someone, but due to the difficulty in understanding kaid, it's pretty empty.
i go by the username "defor" fyi.

Sorry for the messiness of this post.. writing it up on my way home...
anyway- Give it a shot, and it should be pretty straightforward...
in 10.4 kernel panics seem to happen during the initial setup sometimes, so jsut reboot and try again... it'll eventually work. (even works pretty well behind the college i work for's firewall and packetshaper.

Lion
27th May 2005, 11:26 PM
in 10.4 kernel panics seem to happen during the initial setup sometimes, so jsut reboot and try again... hrmm, that's not what I want to see having installed tiger a couple of days ago :P
thanks for the instructions though, will give it a crack later

defor
28th May 2005, 12:05 PM
So far i've only gotten the panic once on 2 separate machines, and only during the initial setup- it was a harmless panic however- most likely due to the sudden latching onto the port for sniffing by kaid.

I just meant it as something to watch out for in case you had unsaved work open.

Lion
30th May 2005, 11:17 AM
got it sorted, now if only I had someone to play :P
I'm on there as NZLion

eLhabib
30th May 2005, 12:12 PM
wish I had a wifi dongle... how much are these thingies anyway?

Lion
30th May 2005, 12:23 PM
dunno. I use the one I had added as an option to my mac mini.

wowowa on xlink is damned good. got well served :P

djlucite
31st May 2005, 12:42 AM
Funny you mention him/her. I just played that person earlier today and got my ass whooped as well.

I go toe-to-toe with him for a few laps then on the last I make some stupid mistake and end up 20 seconds behind, etc. etc.

Someone from here needs to get on xlink and help us! lol

eLhabib
31st May 2005, 01:32 AM
I'm working on it!

Zero [RG] [HG]
31st May 2005, 10:57 PM
Try telling him/her (wowowa) to go to WipeoutZone. :)

Lion
1st June 2005, 06:09 AM
I'm a step or 2 ahead of you there :P
told them a couple nights ago

Lion
3rd June 2005, 04:20 PM
apologies for the double post. but I wanted to draw attention to the thread and it's 2 days later.

To anyone on zone has this working: I am very keen to race you, so could you please add me to your icq or msn list so I know to jump on. my details should be below my post

Lance
3rd June 2005, 04:27 PM
two successive posts by the same person are fine if they're several hours apart and say different things.

the really bad form of double or multiple posting is to post the same thing in two or more different threads of the forums

wirehang
6th June 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm going to have a go of this soon, I have an old PC laptop and my Mac on wireless.

matt

Warhawk
22nd June 2005, 04:41 PM
Hey. I play regularly on Kai, too.

wowawa is hella hard. He's an AZN, what would you expect? :D I've beaten him a couple of times, but he's beaten me about 5 times as much. Great competition.

My XLink tag is the same as my Screename here.

Man, what time today are they gonna put out the next Gamma Pack? *restless*

lunar
22nd June 2005, 04:57 PM
*probably dumb question alert*

but what`s an AZN?

and welcome to WZ :)

Hellfire_WZ
22nd June 2005, 05:02 PM
As soon as I get online at college, I'm going on. I need some good competition, you can only thrash the AI so many times before you need more. :wink:

Warhawk
22nd June 2005, 05:04 PM
AZN means Asian. And in case you're also not too keen on the gaming ability of the common Asian, it's off the charts.

Hellfire_WZ
27th June 2005, 07:50 PM
Is anyone using a PCI wireless network card to connect their PSP to Kai? I'm looking into getting one in the next week or so and I need to find one that works.

Lion
28th June 2005, 05:05 AM
there's a list of supported cards on the xlink forums
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11469

Hellfire_WZ
28th June 2005, 07:20 AM
Hmm... looks like the only one I can find anywhere is the Netgear one, and I've heard they're problematic. Okay, thanks for that. :)

poprock
29th June 2005, 09:39 AM
Don't know if the extra confirmation helps anyone, but I'm using pretty much the same setup as Defor (Mac Mini, Powerbook, and Kai), and the steps he describes work perfectly for me. It's been allowing me to play Ridge Racers and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 as well as Pure...

If anyone comes across a player called poprock on there, that's me.

Warhawk
29th June 2005, 04:16 PM
If all you have is a Linksys router, then you are in LUCK!

Here's what you do:

1. Download XLink (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/) and get everything installed.

2.Download the firmware (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/ahman/) for your router (remember, this only works on Linksys and Buffalo routers.)

3. Enable boot_wait mode on your router.
3a. Go to http://192.168.1.1/
3b. In the message box that pops up, enter "admin" as the password. The username can be anything, but to be safe, also make it "admin".
3c. Once the page pops up, click on Administration.
3d. Then click on Diagnostics.
3e. Then click on Ping (or just go to http://192.168.1.1/Ping.asp ).
3f. Enter each of these lines into the "IP address or domain name" text box, and hit "ping" after each entry:

;cp${IFS}*/*/nvram${IFS}/tmp/n
;*/n${IFS}set${IFS}boot_wait=on
;*/n${IFS}commit
;*/n${IFS}show>tmp/ping.log

After the last command, a long list of configuration parameters is shown, and it should include:

boot_wait=on

4. Install the firmware.
4a. Return to the http://192.168.1.1/ page.
4b. Click on Adminisration.
4c. Click on Firmware Upgrade.
4d. Find the file that you downloaded in step 3, and let it go.

5. Restart your router and log back into it (192.168.1.1).

6. Disable the Xlink Kai engine on Windows.
6a. Go to the programs folder in your computer.
6b. Open the Xlink Kai folder.
6c. Double click the Kai Config tool.
6d. Uncheck the box that says "Start Engine".

7. Configure your router for your game consoles.
7a. Return to http://192.168.1.1/
7b. Click on Administration.
7c. Enter your XLink username and password in the appropriate text boxes so that it automatically logs you in whenver you start Kai.
7d. For the "Interface" text box:
If your router is a Linksys WRT54G v1.0 & v1.1:
i. Enter "br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
ii. Enter "eth2" if you only have a PSP
If your router is a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 & v2.2:
i. Enter " br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
ii. Enter "eth1" if you only have a PSP
If your router is a Buffalo WBR-G54:
i. Enter " br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
ii. Enter "eth2" if you only have a PSP

8. Make sure your PSP's ad hoc channel is set to "Ch 1".

9. Go to http://192.168.1.1 -> Administration -> Kaid. Bookmark the page.

OK. That's all of the stuff you only need to do once. Now here's how you actually get in a game:

1. Go to the Kaid page.
2. Click "Start Kaid". The Kaid Status should change from "STOPPED" to "RUNNING".
3. Start the XLink Kai UI (It's in the XLink programs folder. It'd be best to make a shortcut for your desktop.) It should automatically log you in.
4. Find the Wipeout Pure room (or whatever game you're trying to play).
5. Start Wipeout Pure on your PSP, go to Multiplayer mode, and enter your initials. Now the green WiFi light on the left side of your PSP should be on.
6. On the Kaid page, click "Scan PSP". This should change the Wireless Mode from "AP" to "PSP", then change your Current SSID from "linksys" (or whatever your network name is) to "PSP_92H09832", or something like that. If it says "PSP_NOT_FOUND", you screwed up.
7. If one or more people are in the Pure room with you, decide who is going to host the race/tournament. If you're hosting, select Create Single Race or Create Tournament on your PSP, set all of the settings (track, speed, number of players, etc.) until you get to a screen that only has your initials and ship on the left, and a picture of the track/tournament on the right. At this point, whoever wants to join the race should do so by selceting Join Game from the Multiplayer menu. If successful, whoever got into your race will have their initials and ship appear directly underneath yours. Hit X once everyone is ready. Wait for the PSPs to finish synchronizing, then the race will start loading as normal.
8. When you're ready to exit XLink, go to the Kaid page and click "AP Mode" and "Stop Kaid". Clicking "AP Mode" is important so that your other wireless devices can acess the internet.

That should do it. Email me at warhawk256@charter.net if you have any problems.

lunar
29th June 2005, 06:26 PM
Very helpful post - I hope someone finds it useful.

I`m thinking of going down the usb adaptor route for Kai, and I found this guide:

http://www.pspcrazy.com/wifihack.htm

An adaptor is cheaper than a router, and I can also send it back if I come a cropper due to my ignorance of these sort of things, or if I can`t get past the network that provides my internet access. Wish me luck: I`m going to need a generous amount of it, I think. 8O

Warhawk
29th June 2005, 06:48 PM
WiFi card setups are a great deal more complicated, actually. They look a little something like this:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~cczcp1/images/psp/network.jpg

Though that's the only solution for people without Linksys routers.

They have this exact same tutorial (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&start=0&sid=84165b912d3747104fb8c3ca3c4fe410) at XLink in a bit more simpler terms.

Hellfire_WZ
29th June 2005, 07:05 PM
Lunar: Great link, I'll have to remember that. I'm going to be using a physical net connection and a PCI wireless adapter to connect the PSP, so the same steps should be applicable.

lunar
11th July 2005, 12:23 AM
yay - I finally got it working on the PC and played online!!

I`m going to say how I did it because it was a bit of a minefield and it might help someone. I was on the verge of giving up when it worked. If at first you don`t succeed etc

first of all I used a dwl 122 to connect the psp to the pc and then to my internet connection. I followed the KAI PSP guide exactly and got it to pass all the diagnostics and see the PSP. I still couldn`t see any games though, and my signal strength on the usb adapter was low, and connection speed only 2mps, so this is where the "fun" started.
A lot of fiddling around ensued, but the possibly crucial points are:

I unchecked "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" so that I could use the utilities of the usb adapter, and then connected the PSP to the PC and Kai with the dwl 122 utilities instead. Kai could still see my PSP, and this got my USB - PSP signal strength up to about 80% and speed to 11 mps.

Always put your psp on adhoc channel 1.

And it works.

I would reccomend anyone stick to KAI instructions exactly though - and make absolutely sure its not working with those - before tinkering around. Remember if you can`t connect to a game the problem could be the other person not you. Try to find someone who you are sure is experienced and has played on kai a lot in the past.

btw they were excellent close races, but I got lucky with weapons, and now have a won 7 lost 1 online record - expect this win/loss record is going to get a lot more even though eventually, or sooner. :roll:

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 10:28 AM
thank you very much for this post! I was thinking about which wireless device to get, and dwl 122 was one of my choices (and the cheapest one). Now, that you reported it to work, I am gonna get that one today. See you on Kai! :)

lunar
11th July 2005, 11:18 AM
see you there :wink:

if you think you might need any advice let me know - but I`m still a bit of a "bodger" when it comes to this sort of thing. the instructions in the dwl122 manual are very useful for getting the wireless network going on that.

one word of warning - I couldn`t install the dwl 122 on one of the PCs I have access to. This might have been because I plugged it into the usb before installing the drivers, and this screwed things up - or it might be an old/faulty usb port. I successfully and easily installed it on a couple of other computers when following the instructions though. ( Lesson: RTFM). You`ll probably be okay - good luck. :)

another thing - the IP settings you put into windows network connections need to be put into dwl utilities also if you connect through that. Make sure it is set to ad hoc. I left "profile IP settings" on disable.

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 12:48 PM
got it installed properly (with manual :D ) and had the same problem you mentioned when having it configured through windows - weak connection. But when I use the firmware program to connect, Kai can't find it... need to fiddle with that.

whaddaya mean with that dwl stuff?
are you gonna be on Kai this evening?

lunar
11th July 2005, 01:32 PM
You need to select "computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only" in the DWL program too, and tick "automatically connect to non-preferred networks." I can`t get onto it right now (at work), but if I remember right you go to "site survey" on the DWL program, select your connection to the PSP, then "configure." Make sure its on adhoc and not encrypted. Then click OK. Then you select the connection in the next panel below and use properties or advanced to tick the right boxes. But maybe you did all that anyway..... :) See pages 6 and 7 of the dwl 122 manual.

That might not help much..... I`ll get on my own computer later and load the program so I can see what my settings are and go on Kai. I`m at work now so can`t really go on, unless I can come up with a justification for why doing that could be called "work." :wink:

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 01:37 PM
I think that helps, thanks!

If you could be online with Kai somewhere between 19:30 and 24:00 GMT this evening, that would be great. and maybe we can even get some race action going.

cheers

lunar
11th July 2005, 03:19 PM
yeah I`ll come onto kai somewhere in that time. best thing might be to make a new private arena in Wipeout Pure and work on your connection in there with chat, so I can tell you my settings easily, if you aren`t already in business by then. Hopefully we`ll get a race going..... though I feel like a turkey voting for christmas saying that :wink:

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 03:42 PM
:D

would be cool if you post a time when you are gonna be there tonight, I don't wanna check Kai all evening long.

lunar
11th July 2005, 04:33 PM
9.30 GMT. My X-Tag is TerminalVelocity (you`ll see why if we get a game going.) :wink:

eLhabib
11th July 2005, 06:22 PM
sure :D

I'll be there.

Drakkenmensch
16th July 2005, 09:19 PM
First off, here's a link to the setup pic eLhabib created:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GallagherKnight/PSP-W-LAN-ConfigforDWL-122.jpg

Second, here's something I figured which made my connection horribly unstable until I fixed it:

When my DWL-122 tries to scan for available connections, it finds TWO ad hoc connections from my PSP

PSP_AUCUS98612_L_ (unencrypted)
and
PSP_AUCU98612_L_ (WEP encrypted)

by default, my adapter always tried to connect to the ENCRYPTED one, thus ensuring my connection would be unreliable all the time. I had to scan the unencrypted network and manually configure it, then REMOVE the encrypted network from the list of preferred networks.

It's been running like a dream since!!!

eLhabib
17th July 2005, 12:18 PM
wow, I just raced this japanese guy called 'wowawa' on kai again, and I have to say that he is THE SH*T on phantom! I lost like one and a half second PER LAP on him! Really good pilot. (I took an ex equo gold on rapier gamma tourny with him tho 8) )

Drakkenmensch
17th July 2005, 12:51 PM
*nods* I heard of him from other racers, heard he was good, but I had no idea he was THAT good! Thanks for the heads up.

Curved
17th July 2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I played him and beat him a couple times using van uber. Playing him made me realize that you must have high thrust, as he used AG Systems and I used piranha. The best guy Ive played, though.

Hellfire_WZ
17th July 2005, 08:01 PM
Nice, I'll keep an eye out for him when I get online. Hopefully he's better than Foxy (sorry, coudn't resist :P )

Warhawk
17th July 2005, 10:42 PM
wowawa is pretty much regarded as the best Wipeout player on Kai. Nice guy, though. Even if his Japanese > English translations are a bit spotty.

He's beaten me some 20-odd times. I've beaten him... 5 times? I dunno, something small.

infoxicated
18th July 2005, 04:30 PM
Hopefully he's better than Foxy (sorry, coudn't resist :P )
Ouch! :lol:

I'll give you a better run for your money if we get to play Wipeout 3 SE together at some point - I'm just not a big enough fan of the handling model in Pure for it to keep me practicing, so I'll concede to the better man for portable wipeout. :)

Hellfire_WZ
18th July 2005, 04:32 PM
I'll have to brush up on that, it's been a long time. I'm sure I can provide adequate entertainment. :wink:

djlucite
19th July 2005, 09:43 AM
wow, I just raced this japanese guy called 'wowawa' on kai again, and I have to say that he is THE SH*T on phantom! I lost like one and a half second PER LAP on him! Really good pilot. (I took an ex equo gold on rapier gamma tourny with him tho 8) )

Exactly how I felt.

Kinda like getting physically beat up. By a wrestler.
The entire race i was like "OMFG WTF IS IT LAG OR DID HE JUST GAIN 5 SECS ON ME MAGICALLY?!"
He's damn good, though.

Warhawk
20th July 2005, 12:41 AM
Kai report: Teusday, July 19th

Good times were had by all (at least I hope). There were many 4-5 man races, and only about half of them provided some serious lag. We actually encountered an alledged "bootlegger," but it was no big deal. I was actually absent from the room between 6:30 and 7:00 PM Central time, but I raced quite a bit. After getting my ass handed to me every previous race by eLhabib, I decided to dump Auricom for good ol' Medievil for the last Gamma tournament, and I clean sweeped it. Lots of great moments, too.

Me, djlucite, eLhabib, and Drakkenmensch were all there, among others.

eLhabib can fill you guys in on the events that I missed if he wants.

eLhabib
20th July 2005, 12:52 AM
true, awesome racing that was! shame my internet connection dropped after the last league (where warhawk owned us) and when I came beck online, they were all gone... :( I wanted some REVENGE! :D

Drakkenmensch
20th July 2005, 01:35 AM
*smiles* Warhawk and eLhabib handed me over repeated bronze medals, showing me that I'm far from being done learning in this great game called Wipeout Pure, and that's good!

You don't improve by gaining easy victories over newcomers and inexperienced pilots. That only breeds complacency. War and eL gave me exactly what I needed, a powerful and exciting challenge to push myself beyond, and I loved every second of it!!!

So that's two players I've faced online who can repeatedly smoke me - admittedly, I haven't run into Wowawa yet, so I'm expecting that number to increase sooner rather than later ;)

*takes his sparkling Assegai for another practice spin to be ready for the upcoming challenges*

djlucite
20th July 2005, 01:41 AM
It's too bad my connection wasn't exactly the best...I really wanted to play with you guys.
At least me and eL got a 1 on 1 game...got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. With trimmings.
Still a fun race, though.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry to drag up an old topic, but I though I should let you know that I am now on XLink! XTag is Hellfire_X, and remember I have the Japanese version. Let's just hope it works... :D

Drakkenmensch
8th August 2005, 03:08 PM
My japanese copy hasn't arrived in the mail yet, so I'll have to wait to face you in the arena ;)

eLhabib
8th August 2005, 04:01 PM
hellfire, you got jap version ONLY? that would suck, I was looking forward to racing against you...

lunar
8th August 2005, 04:53 PM
Good news you got it going, Hellfire, but I`m not sure you`ll find much competition with the j/p version.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2005, 05:33 PM
I know. I found a couple earlier, but I can't seem to maintain a signal at the moment. It stays low for about half a minute and then drops out entirely. The network is still connected, Kai still sees the PSP, but I can't connect to any games. Strange thing is, the DWL USB utility tells me the signal is at 100%. Do I believe that or the Windows taskbar?

eLhabib
8th August 2005, 06:25 PM
in the DWL utility, under site survey, press refresh until the connection shows up with a little blue circle on it, indicating that this is the one you are connected to. then it will show your true conectivity. I am sitting right next to the DWL with my PSP and it still only says about 85%, so that's normal.

lunar
8th August 2005, 06:28 PM
I think the windows signal strength readings are pretty useless in this case so I`d believe the DWL utilities. I`ve never had anything other than very low signal readings from windows and I can connect just fine. Sometimes I have hardly any signal according to windows and 100% according to DWL - and its working, so I basically ignore windows after the basic setup and believe what DWL is telling me. If you are using DWL utilities you have to duplicate all the windows IP and network settings into the utilities programme.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2005, 06:55 PM
That's encouraging. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Everything else is working fine, I managed to get a game going before the other guy dropped out after three laps.

Lion
8th August 2005, 07:27 PM
what time are you guys playing? I'll have to see if I can join you all

eLhabib
8th August 2005, 09:07 PM
I'm usualy playing somewhere between 22:00 and 01:00 GMT.

Hellfire_WZ
8th August 2005, 09:13 PM
I'll be on intermittently between 2 and 6 GMT, if it gets going.

lunar
8th August 2005, 09:44 PM
If I`m on its usually around the same time as El Habib, though sometimes earlier.

Lion
9th August 2005, 02:56 AM
hrmm, with those times I'm only likely to bump into you lot in the weekends.. or maybe your friday (my saturday)
damn this isolation :P

Toy Dingo
9th August 2005, 04:14 PM
Ok sorry for a newbie question...but how are you guys playing each other? I'm not exactly computer handy with some of this stuff so I have no idea what you guys are talking about in terms of Xlink this and Kai that...

I'd love to play you guys (whooping up on the computer gets old). Help me, please...:(

Drakkenmensch
9th August 2005, 04:38 PM
Just go over the entire topic, there are general instructions to follo wand some added troubleshooting responses that should get you going and racing. If you find that you can't get connected for some reason, just go over the suggested troubleshooting solutions that have already been posted. If none of those work, leave us a message and we can help you out.

Toy Dingo
9th August 2005, 04:41 PM
Thank you, I will... :)

edit by Lance: please read the guidelines about quotation. and all the rest, too, of course. ;)

Hellfire_WZ
9th August 2005, 05:55 PM
Lunar/eLhabib: What drivers are you running for the DWL (assuming you're using Windows)? This signal is still concerning me a little.

Drakkenmensch
9th August 2005, 06:28 PM
I'm running the DWL-122 with the original drivers that came with the disk. No matter what I do, my computer tells me after a few seconds of being connected that there's "no signal", but that hasn't yet stopped me from connecting to Kai and racing with eLhabib with no visible lag. Your only guideline to figure if you're connecting is being able to detect the games hosted by other players when you click "Join game"

Hellfire_WZ
9th August 2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks... maybe I should stop worrying. :lol:

eLhabib
9th August 2005, 10:47 PM
I use the DWL-122 firmware also. If you need help setting it up, I have made a screenshot showing what you need to config. You can find it here ->http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=913

eLhabib
10th August 2005, 01:42 AM
I have noticed on a few occasions now, that the multiplayer experience gets choppy and therefore BAD with too many people in a game. tonight we had races with as many as 6 pilots, and the PSP's framerate just couldn't keep up anymore.
So, for maximum enjoyment, I suggest to everyone to limit their race lobbies to a maximum of 4 pilots. The thrill of a 6 (or more) - pilot race is highly spoiled by the lack of smooth graphical bliss, which also affects handling in a bad way.

y'know, like the old saying 'four's a bunch'... or something like that :wink:

Bisonte
16th August 2005, 11:45 AM
Hrrm, sorry for the stupid question and if I have simply missed the answer in the posts, sorry again.

After checking Xlink out, and some of the diagrams you guys have shown, I am slightly lost.. it seems this requires two computers to do?

I have a PC downstairs with my broadband modem, and then my PC upstairs (In my room) with a wireless router for connection.

I use this wireless router to go online with my PSP for downloads, so would that mean it's compatable and cabable of accessing Xlink?

It came with my modem, from SBC Yahoo DSL if you're wondering. Any help would be great guys, thanks in advance.

eLhabib
16th August 2005, 12:37 PM
you need ONE computer which is connected to the web by whatever means, and some sort of wireless card (a list of supported devices should be somewhere in this thread) that connects to your PSP via AD-HOC (not infrastructure) connection.

Best to get would be a D-Link DWL-122 (NOT G122!) USB-adaptor. You should find all the necessary setup steps in the xlink kai setup guide (also linked in this thread).

Bisonte
16th August 2005, 08:04 PM
Aah okay, thanks Elhabib,

Through all the technical stuff, the smallest, simplistic "duh, I should have known that" kinda stuff usualy goes unmentioned. I appreciate the info. ;D

element42
18th August 2005, 03:42 PM
So, it looks like Evo 8 (or whatever its new name is) will be out soon. Anyone read the message on the old frontpage? It seems that you're going to have to get 'invited' to join Xlink. Anyone here know a mod?

lunar
18th August 2005, 08:05 PM
From our point of view this action is a shame, as the Wipeout arena is pretty cool. Any timewasters just get ignored and disapear, generally. I suppose other parts of Kai are less civilized, so I can understand why they are planning to do this - but it could get very messy, and the anti-abuse system itself could be abused. What if someone bans another user for an unjustifiable or petty cause, and then they have to appeal by email..... it could all get very tiresome and unfair.

I guess we`ll all get in ok - it will only need one decent wiper to join and then he can invite everyone else. But I don`t like the idea of people having what amount to moderator powers by virtue of having been members for longer. It could all get a bit elitist. As it is we can already create private arenas if there are dickheads or timewasters that stop us doing what we`re there for - racing. :D

A better system would be to stay as we are and for users to complain about racism or abusive members to official moderators, and have them do the banning. Its always possible to save chat pages as evidence. I think they only have 25 mods though for thousands of members, so that might not be practical.

element42
19th August 2005, 07:24 AM
well, if it doesn't work, they can change it again with evo 9. It'll be like F1 qualifying... :roll:

lunar
25th August 2005, 07:48 AM
Its also possible to broadcast, receive and merge records data over Kai. Be careful though as you could overwrite all your own best records. It may be better to disable autosave before doing this - as it autosaves profile before u get to look at the times/records, if autosave is enabled.

Ally Graham
25th August 2005, 09:32 AM
I looks as if I would have to update to SP2 to be able to use Kai, which I don't want to do.
I want to play online, but don't want to update. :(

lunar
25th August 2005, 10:30 AM
I guess you mean Win XP SP2? Why would you have to upgrade? Problems with wifi adapter?

Ally Graham
25th August 2005, 11:42 AM
Yea, the settings and set-up it shows does not come up in Win XP SP2.
My dad's laptop is basically the same as mine, same WiFi card also, but it is SP2 and has the ability to have Kai on it as it is able to take the settings required.

lunar
25th August 2005, 01:06 PM
Can`t you use a USB adapter? I use one with SP1 sometimes.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 09:13 AM
This is the menu settings I can't get up without Win XP SP2:
http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=d1b37326822888a400e2c53c1b27b7ae Step 5 (Setup PC).

lunar
26th August 2005, 09:28 AM
I use SP1 and can enter those settings OK. I guess that you`re using a cable to get your internet connection from the PC, and then your wireless card to connect the PSP to the PC. If so, you could try unchecking "use windows to configure my wireless network settings." This might enable you to use the utilities programme of your wireless card, if it has one, to connect the PSP to the PC. Just enter the settings from steps 3 and 5 into the utilities of your wifi card - at least that`s what I did and it worked. May be worth a try for you anyway.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 09:33 AM
No, the PC connects to the internet only through the card to a wireless router.
The 'Wireless Networks' tab does not show up for me.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 09:50 AM
Think I will have to update to SP2

lunar
26th August 2005, 10:25 AM
Are you trying to use the wireless card to connect the PSP to the PC, aswell as using it to connect the PC to the internet? If you are, it won`t work, and this could be why you don`t see the settings in step 5. You will need a compatible usb adapter to connect your PSP to the PC, also. If your existing internet connection works, just leave it as it is, then use a usb adapter to connect the PSP to the PC.

Basically, you can`t connect your PSP to the PC using the same connection that the PC uses to get to the internet. The only way you can do this is by using a Linksys WRT54G/GS or Buffalo WBR-G54 router, though I don`t know anyone who`s done it succesfully and its much easier to use a wifi card/usb adapter.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 10:51 AM
OK, now I understand.
I have a spare USB adaptor, so will try to use that.
Problem I am having now is that when I enable internet connection shareing on the USB adaptor, it re-sets my IP address for the whole computer, and that means it can not connect to the internet.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 11:01 AM
Don't worry, worked it out.
I have gone into Configure for the adaptor and selected 802.11b AdHoc mode for network type, as Win XP SP1 does not have the wireless network tab I talked about earler.

lunar
26th August 2005, 11:07 AM
sounds about right.... internet connection sharing should not be enabled though. Your usb does not connect to the internet at all. SP1 has that tab on my machine, but I had more success not using windows to connect the usb, as I said. Hope you work it out. :) It took me 4 days. :x

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 11:11 AM
Seems to work, now all I need is someone to test it with.

Ally Graham
26th August 2005, 11:34 AM
Says that it can not detect console?!
Pure is searching for the multiplayer game.

EDIT: Perhaps my Belkin 54g USB Adaptor is not compatable.
EDIT 2: I can't be bothered to spend ages trying to get it to work.

Warhawk
27th August 2005, 04:31 AM
Its also possible to broadcast, receive and merge records data over Kai. Be careful though as you could overwrite all your own best records. It may be better to disable autosave before doing this - as it autosaves profile before u get to look at the times/records, if autosave is enabled.

Dude, that's what the feature is supposed to do. When I first tried it, I got pretty freaked out, thinking that my entire collection of gold medals got lost or something. But all the broadcasting function does it merge your friend's best lap times and Zone scores with your own (Also, if you did the broadcasting, you'll still need to recieve the other person's data in order to have both people seeing the samet thing. And vice versa.) The only way I see this being detrimetal is if someone wants to see your best times, but you're initials don't even appear in the top times of any tracks anymore. It's designed to get you to try and beat your rival's best times.

Actually, quick question: if you've already done a broadcast/recieve session with one person, and then you do another session with a totally different person, would that new person also recieve the first person's data, or would he get just yours? If the latter is true, I wonder where the game keeps that kind of data locked up since it's not being displayed on screen.

lunar
27th August 2005, 09:19 AM
I know that`s what its supposed to do. People should be aware of the fact that you might not necessarily want someone else`s times overwriting your own, and that its not so easy to just have a look at someone`s records then discard them. Firstly, they may be times set by a pilot you will never beat, and secondly the received data may contain false times created by the elimination bug. After receiving data I now have quite a few more false times in my records, which is a pain. The game autosaves before you look at received records, so there`s no going back. I haven`t found a way of disabling autosave - so to go back you may have to create a back up of your old profile to reload later. I`d like to know if there is a way to switch autosave off.

Regarding your question, in receiving I think the game just changes the records data in your profile and makes no distinction between what are your own times and what are someone else`s. So if you then broadcast to another person they will just receive everything you have - no matter whether the times got there through being received or actually set by playing on your own psp. I don`t particularly feel like testing this on my own profile though, as my records tables are getting pretty messy. 8O :)

lunar
6th September 2005, 01:19 PM
The euro launch has made it really busy on Kai. When I was on last night there were over twenty players in the arena - most I`ve ever seen. Few of the euro players had it working yet though. The downside is that you`re constantly asking people which regional version they`re using.

Who thinks we should write to teamxlink and ask them if they would consider creating seperate sub-arenas for the different regions of Pure, so that we can at least know whether or not we can race against someone just by the arena they`re in? We can of course create private arenas for different versions - but a bunch of random people thrown together on the internet are rarely organised enough to do that sort of thing very well. :wink:

Hellfire_WZ
6th September 2005, 02:25 PM
Certainly not a bad idea, it'll let people get their games going a bit quicker as well. I'm for it.

MissileStrike
11th September 2005, 08:05 AM
Ok...I've tried to connect to Xlink Kai and have gone through the log in blah blah stuff and when i get to the arena it has a little bubble saying "Network not reachable- please check Port Forwarding". So I go to the web site (www.portforward.com) and go through all of that stuff and i get up to a bit saying "put the Routers IP address into the address bar browser". And when i do that it comes up with the "Cannot Find Server" page we have all learned to hate. So what do i do? I have tried everything...even the link to 194.168 or something that some one posted earlier doesnt work. this is BS and i am this close [] to smashing my computer. BTW do you need a Linkys router to do this stuff? To be honest i dont even know where my router is or what its called. Please help,Please Help, Please help. :brickwall

Drakkenmensch
11th September 2005, 09:19 AM
If you've read the whole thread, you'll notice that there's only ONE model of router where Xlink Kai has been found to work, period. If you don't have that model, it won't connect. End of story.

When you request help, you should provide us with your technical specs and what steps you've already performed, otherwise we can't answer your questions.

eLhabib
11th September 2005, 04:40 PM
just an addition to drak's post:

yes, the linksys router is the only ROUTER on which kai works, however, there ARE other ways to connect, you don't have to change routers, don't worry. Best to get would be a D-LINK DWL-122 USB wireless card. Just read this whole thread for more information.

MissileStrike
11th September 2005, 10:51 PM
Alright, thanks. Not exactly the answer i was hoping for but...
Oh and Drakkenmensch I DID read the whole thread, it was just that we got off topic and then people started posting about different types of ways to do it and :? :? :? .
Anyways, thanks people, hopefully I'll see you soon on Kai.

eLhabib
11th September 2005, 11:31 PM
I'd be glad to :)

Drakkenmensch
11th September 2005, 11:59 PM
Always looking forward to racing with new people, MissileStrike :)

element42
18th September 2005, 03:43 PM
what time is everyone usually online with xlink? i never seem to play with anyone i recognise from here :( which means i usually win :twisted:

Hellfire_WZ
18th September 2005, 04:30 PM
I stil haven't played any one here yet. If anyone with the Japanese version wants a game, I'm online now and for most of the evening.

Drakkenmensch
18th September 2005, 04:54 PM
I'd love to play with you if we were on at the same time, Hellfire, I have a japanese version at hand. Too bad I'm at work rigth now :cry:

lunar
18th September 2005, 05:08 PM
If I`m on it`s usually from around 10.30 to 11pm. I have euro and USA versions. I think the only wz people I`ve raced are El and Drak - and they are fearsome :D . There are a few other good players, though sometimes it`s just easy wins - less stressful but not so much fun.

Hellfire_WZ
18th September 2005, 05:13 PM
Drak, what time do you finish? I'll see if I can get online when you're back.

Drakkenmensch
18th September 2005, 05:30 PM
I finish work at 5pm eastern time and get home about an hour later, so that's roughly 1 or 2 am GMT, more or less.

Hellfire_WZ
18th September 2005, 05:33 PM
....ouch..... :(

Maybe once I'm back at uni I could organise something

Drakkenmensch
18th September 2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah, time zone differences are a real killer when you live across the world :cry:

rageagainstgeorge
19th September 2005, 09:28 PM
anyone on kai on the euro version tonite?

eLhabib
9th October 2005, 06:15 PM
As the online pilots might have noticed, KAI has been offline since yesterday, and still is. Since the official homepage was down, too, I started to get a bit worried.

I just tried the xlink homepage again, and it's all good, just maintenance.
"Web services have been disabled due to maintenance issues. We apologise for the inconvenience and hope to have services restored shortly."

Drakkenmensch
9th October 2005, 06:54 PM
That's reassuring, I was starting to be afraid that they had experienced a Keenspace-style server meltdown (their server has actually MELTED from a hardware fire)

eLhabib
10th October 2005, 11:32 PM
UPDATE

Official text on teamxlink.co.uk:

Monday October 10th, 2005
On Friday October 7th our core server in Amsterdam went offline at around 11 PM EST. As a result, authentication is unavailable making logging in to Kai impossible. Since that time, we have been working around the clock to restore functionality to the server and/or recover the data. Our technical contact at the data center is unable to go onsite there until Tuesday October 11th. Based on his ‘remote-hands’ diagnostics, we do not anticipate any issues recovering the data and restoring full functionality.

We appreciate the patience everyone has shown during this outage and we will keep everyone posted on where we are in the recovery process. Thank you for your ongoing support. We WILL be back up shortly.

-Team Xlink

Drakkenmensch
11th October 2005, 02:46 AM
*goes back to grabbing more single player golds in his all-Piranha profile*

element42
12th October 2005, 07:01 PM
the webpage is still down but kai is usable. Anyone playing now?

Sausehuhn
12th October 2005, 07:03 PM
no, but I want to.
eLhabib, I neeeeed your heeeelp!!

eLhabib
12th October 2005, 10:05 PM
I'll be glad to help if you tell me your problems.
just contact me on msn.

Drakkenmensch
13th October 2005, 01:20 PM
For those of you who have been wondering what a Time Trial race is in multiplayer, eLhabib and myself have taken that little experiement the other night, and I forgot to share the results with you guys.

The time trial race is exactly that - a time trial. You get no weapon pads, a single turbo per lap, and you race as fast as you can. The opponents show as ghosts on the track so you know how fast they're going, but there's no physical contacts or collisions.

I found that rather boring, really. A no-weapons race would have been more exciting, since there'd have been collisions and would have been a big bumper cars contest ;)

Sven
13th October 2005, 03:17 PM
big bumper cars contest ;)Tigron wins! ;)

Drakkenmensch
17th October 2005, 11:30 PM
Some more technical advice for those still new at connecting to kai (all of which from previous posts in one convenient place)

- set your PSP's channel to 1

- TURN OFF your PSP's WIFI powersave!!! This doesn't look like a problem at first, but I guarantee you that you will NEVER complete a tournament until you do.

- When your computer detects your PSP signal, there's a chance you'll detect TWO. Always remove the encrypted one from the list and connect to the non-encrypted signal.

- Always launch wipeout pure FIRST, activate the WIFI, go to detect games and THEN have your computer detect the WIFI signal. You'll be sure to detect it correctly. When that's done, THEN launch kai. Never wait to be in kai to launch wipeout, you'll spend the evening wondering why it's not connecting.

- US versions cannot detect Euro or JP games, nor can any other combination of different region games.

- You CANNOT enter a game where there is either a download track or a ship that you do not have on your memory stick. If you're missing the classic packs, forget about joining an alpha tournament where someone has selected the Icaras. Music, however, is never an issue.

Have fun!

Badrock
18th October 2005, 01:11 AM
I've been trying to get XLINK KAI to work the whole day today, but I can't see other games, nor can anybody see my hosted games.

I am using the following setup

PSP > PC with SIEMENS Gigaset USB Adapter 54 (WLAN) > Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Ethernet Adapter (LAN) > SIEMENS Gigaset SE515 Router >Internet

Ok, first of all, I followed the instructions of the Kai Setup guide step by step and everything works exactly as described until I get to the Step: Enter an Arena and start playing. I can enter the arenas, Kai can configure my PSP successfully, other users see "1 Sony - 1 Players" next to my name. The network is reachable. I've asked other players if they have another version, but they said they had the EU version (as I do) and they knew that it does work with them. So it's really strange because it really "should" work, it doesn't though :x.

eLhabib
18th October 2005, 01:21 AM
next time you are on kai, check if you also have traffic on your wifi connection when you create a game or search. the stat for that is on the same list as the orbital info, network:reachable, and so on. if it reads 0, something is wrong, if it reads any number (usually between 1 and 4) it's ok and the guys you tried to connect to probably were the problem.

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 10:12 AM
I'd like to suggest another gamer etiquette rule for playing xlink:

- When you come into the Wipeout room in the Xlink software, do not expect to treat it as a social chat room and act huffed up and offended if people act surprised that you claim you have no interest in playing whatsoever. There are many chat softwares specialized in such a function that do this far better than Xlink, so please do not clutter the room and lag the orbital with your god-awful ping rates "just to chat." Go do that somewhere else.

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 11:14 AM
+1

aphex
10th November 2005, 12:57 PM
Intuition tells me this post may have been inspired by a particular recent verbal exchange to which i was witness, but odds are I'm wrong. In any case I agree that people should not enter a game room unless the the respective game UMD is at least within arms reach, if not already loaded and properly configured to play on xlink.
And please don't ask others in that room anything like, "u got [such and such game]?," when the fact that someone is already in a given room implies his intent. One can solicit as such in the main lobby.

Dropping in for a half minute to say hi to a friend is another matter...

Asayyeah
10th November 2005, 12:59 PM
May i promote Lance as a new ' regulator ' into those wipeout rooms :?: :D

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 01:03 PM
HAHAHA! Yes! At least that would force him to finally get a PSP, wipEout purE, and xLink! :D

Asayyeah
10th November 2005, 01:12 PM
and probably force me to join Xlink ( btw we are talking Anthony, David, Stéphane & me to join you through Kaï )
We had a 3 multiplayer game last tuesday night during 2 hours & half : so fun . We are pretty much convinced to experiment Xlink probably around january or maybe before...

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 01:37 PM
Aphex: actually, you're spot on correct about the event that triggered this specific post of mine. Each of the suggested kai rules I've posted so far has been inspired by actual events, and the following exasperation herein.

eLhabib
10th November 2005, 01:37 PM
that's sweet news Arnaud! By January I will have my Euro copy of purE, too!

Drakkenmensch
10th November 2005, 01:44 PM
:D I better start practicing Omega league right now!

Vic Cachou
15th November 2005, 01:53 AM
Hello guys...

I don't write very often. Just a few words to confirm the sentences of Asayyeah. We played at Pure multiplayer, once with Del Stepho and him, and an other time with Sleh and him... and it was incredible.

We play too at 2097 and XL regularly together. And i can say to all of you that i see at each time some incredible things.

I will talk about that later. But i juste wanted to say that i am waiting to own X-link kai with impatience.
See ya...
Vic Cachou, alias David Elhaïk in the tables

lunar
15th November 2005, 04:46 PM
Great stuff, Vic, I`m really looking forward to seeing you on there. btw watch out for these: :bomb Drak and ElHabib like to leave them in hidden yet unavoidable places. Those guys are just so unscrupulous ;)

Drakkenmensch
15th November 2005, 04:56 PM
If you blow up on a bomb that's just behind a turn in a spot that's smack in the middle of the best racing line, it's one of el's. If you cross the finish line to start a new lap and blow up on a bomb that was hidden right behind the laser line, you've stumbled on one of mine ;)

And yes, human players are a sneaky bunch of bastards. Unlike the AI we do so love to leave bombs in the worst possible places! We like to pile up several of them in a wall formation and love leaving them on top of jumps or the open track section of Sol2 to knock you off the track entirely!

Oh yes, let's not forget ram you with our ship when you're prone in a corner, making it even harder for you to recover :banzai

You're going to love xlink kai - it's the best way to learn racing Pure beyond levels you ever knew existed!

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th November 2005, 05:31 PM
OK, ive looked this thread over and can't make heads or tails of whats going on i have kai and when i boot up arena it says that no one is playing pure. because of this i don't know what to do after this so could somebody tell me when they play and give me a quick rundown of what hapens after that.:redface:

Drakkenmensch
24th November 2005, 05:46 PM
You have to stick around when you go to the Pure room, if you leave the instant you get there, it's a sure bet that you won't find anyone else.

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th November 2005, 06:29 PM
I'm on Central time us (-GMT) what time do any of you play?

and when you get to the arena do you just boot up pure and go into join multi player game or something else?

Drakkenmensch
24th November 2005, 06:38 PM
When you're in the Wipeout Pure room, this means that if someone else in the same room hosts a game, you will be able to detect and join it by going to "join game" in the multiplayer menu. If someone creates a private arena within that room, only those in his private arena will be able to detect and join his game.

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th November 2005, 06:48 PM
whe i hit join game i give me no list of games even though the kai thing show other people playing.:?

and when i try to dectect my psp it dosent find it

Drakkenmensch
24th November 2005, 07:08 PM
Once a game is STARTED, you can't detect it anymore. You can only detect for as long as the players are in the hosted game's lobby and the hoster hasn't started it yet. You can't join a tournament in progress either.

Rouni Kenshin#1
24th November 2005, 08:50 PM
how do i know if the race has started?

and why won't it detect my psp i put it in serch for game mode and the programe still does not detect it.

lunar
24th November 2005, 09:04 PM
Make sure you are hosting a game, which means your PSP is broadcasting a wifi signal, before you launch Kai. There`s no way it will work if you launch Kai before doing this. Have you followed the PSP connection guide on the Teamxlink forums? Are you using a compatible wireless network card or usb wifi adapter to connect your PSP to your PC?

PSP Connection Guide (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=7d59e536bafe0f6da3713844b80ebb7e)

list of compatible network cards/wifi adapters (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11469&sid=7d59e536bafe0f6da3713844b80ebb7e)

if you`ve followed all this and it still won`t work, then tell us the hardware you`re using to connect your PSP to your PC, how your PC connects to the Internet and how fast your internet connection is. Try to explain the nature of the problem, what steps you`ve taken so far, and we might be able to help you.

Drakkenmensch
25th November 2005, 10:24 AM
Not sure how appropriate (or egocentric) it might be to quote oneself, but here's some general advice I posted earlier in the thread which would be useful to your situation:

- set your PSP's channel to 1

- TURN OFF your PSP's WIFI powersave!!! This doesn't look like a problem at first, but I guarantee you that you will NEVER complete a tournament until you do.

- When your computer detects your PSP signal, there's a chance you'll detect TWO. Always remove the encrypted one from the list and connect to the non-encrypted signal.

- Always launch wipeout pure FIRST, activate the WIFI, go to detect games and THEN have your computer detect the WIFI signal. You'll be sure to detect it correctly. When that's done, THEN launch kai. Never wait to be in kai to launch wipeout, you'll spend the evening wondering why it's not connecting.

- US versions cannot detect Euro or JP games, nor can any other combination of different region games.

- You CANNOT enter a game where there is either a download track or a ship that you do not have on your memory stick. If you're missing the classic packs, forget about joining an alpha tournament where someone has selected the Icaras. Music, however, is never an issue.

Let us know how it goes!

Sven
6th December 2005, 02:28 PM
Over the last couple weeks, I've tried several times to go play on kai, but something seems wrong with the user list. Like, it said there were 8 people in the Wipeout Pure room, but I go in and there's no one on the list. I'm using OS 10.4 with the most recent Kai engine and jKaiUI. Anyone know what could be wrong?

lunar
6th December 2005, 03:28 PM
I`ve seen that, but other arenas seem to be worse. The other day it said there were about 250 players in Ridge Racer. Not likely...... I looked inside and there were about 30 on the list, which still seems way too many. At the same time there were about 20 people on the Pure list, all of whom said "establishing connection...."

I haven`t tried playing since I saw all this. Does it still work?

Lion
6th December 2005, 10:28 PM
I'm using amaryllis on osx 10.4.3
usually says 2,3, or 4 players in the room when it's empty
it still does work though when someone really is there...

also I just want to point out that the wireless channel you set your psp to makes no difference whatsoever to people on the other end.
that only matters for communication within reach of the actual wireless signal.
I have verified this through my own testing

I don't see you guys on much anymore.. fire me an icq/msn or something and hopefully I'll be around and able to play
you guys' friday/saturday nights work best (my sat/sun morning)

Sven
7th December 2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I leave my wireless channel on Auto, because I forget to change it back and then can't connect to someone Ad-Hoc and we get confused...

Lion
9th December 2005, 04:39 AM
please play on kai more often!
I have finally started to feel comfortable in phantom and I never see anyone on anymore :\
I am on kai as NZLion

if you wanna get me on there ICQ or MSN me with the buttons at the top of my posts, as long as I am not at work I will probably be keen :)

lunar
9th December 2005, 11:32 AM
I haven`t played for weeks, but I`m planning on being on Xlink Saturday night, usual time, 11GMT onwards :)

eLhabib
9th December 2005, 12:24 PM
I'll try and join in. haven't had much time for purE lately, and PGR3 has eaten up a lot of my spare time, too. but now I feel the urge to get back to purE ;)

Alo Tsum
22nd December 2005, 06:34 PM
hello,

I am new to the forums.

What time GMT are you guys generally on? I am in america in the -5:00 gmt time zone.

Lion
23rd December 2005, 06:17 AM
I am gmt+13 (currently thanks to daylight savings) in new zealand, best bet is to msn or icq me. links for that are at the top of any of my posts or in my profile

lunar
1st January 2006, 12:51 PM
Just replying to El in the locked thread the other day: yes we must ALL get back on Kai again. I`ve been too busy, but in a week or so my period of slave-labour should be coming to an end and I`ll be ready. ;)

btw I have changed my msn login and email. The new one is on my posts. :)

Rouni Kenshin#1
1st January 2006, 07:14 PM
the Team Xlink site has not made it clear yet but to play do you have to have a wireless laptop or will a pc with a wireless router work?

lunar
1st January 2006, 09:26 PM
You don`t have to have a wireless laptop, though you could do it this way. A PC with a wireless router might work, or might not, depending on the model of the router. It`s not that simple. Tell me what hardware you have, and how the computer you want to use for Kai connects to the internet, and I might be able to tell you how I would do it. It`s really not too bad when you have the right hardware, it`s just that there are so many different ways to connect up and everyone has their own way of doing it.

Rouni Kenshin#1
1st January 2006, 10:43 PM
my pc
1.2 proccessor
256 ram
connects mo highspeed internet throug wired modem when then sends it's self through the wireless router.

PC connects via modem
wireless router connect with 2 cables one to the PC and another to the modem.

the router is a Linksys wireless G 2.4ghz broadband router with speed booster

lunar
1st January 2006, 11:16 PM
Depending on the exact model, you might be able to use that router, following the instructions in this thread on xlink.

http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8757&sid=c7f75598c515c21083d2f7a1a5573d9d

You would have to make absolutely sure that it`s the Linksys model which they say is compatible with the firmware upgrade you need to run kai on your wireless router, and that you know what you`re doing, otherwise you could kill your wireless router. I don`t know much about connecting to kai that way and would be scared to encourage you to do it.

I would advise you not to do it like that, and leave your router and internet connection as it is, especially if you`re not the only person using it. What you need is a USB Wifi adapter for your PC. Like this one:

https://www.blueunplugged.com/products/D-Link-Air-DWL-122-Wireless-USB-Adaptor-3981.asp

then hopefully all you need to do is install this, plug it into your PCs usb port, and you won`t have to touch your existing internet connection at all.

But before you get a USB adapter, first of all install the kai software on your PC, log on to kai,and click on the diagnostics button. It`s a little magnifying glass symbol. When you do this does it say "network reachable - yes"? (It can take some time for "yes" to appear). If it does say "yes", then you shouldnt have to touch your internet connection at all, and you should be good to go with a kai-compatible usb adapter like the one I linked to above.

Then basically the hardware setup would be: PSP broadcasting wifi signals - USB Adapter plugged into PC and picking up wifi signals - PC running kai software - existing internet connection. At this point you would be ready to follow "Kai`s PSP connection guide" to get it up and running.

Asayyeah
10th January 2006, 04:47 PM
I would like to congrat Lunar, for all he has done , helping me to install properly all the stuff for Xlink Kai.
As i ve told to the WZ's Kai crew previously , i ve bought ( 5 days ago) the DWL wifi usb key, and Lunar gives precious advices on Msn and the result is ..I can now play on Kaï ( first fight with Lunar & Lion last sunday night)
And that's awesome, incredible, amazing ... i ve got a lack of words to describe my feeling about racing with my ' old ' friends from WZ.
Even Lunar kicked my ass lots of time winning nearly all the tourney we made , i ve proudly ( :redface: ) get few best lap ...
But you know i am a kind of newbee ( hihihi, yes i am ! ) compared to those experimented pilots but i wanna improve my ' fight ' skill.

3 of my french friends decided to follow my first steps in Kai so we probably could create a kind of championship in a future with all the WZ members.

I highly recommend Kai , even it's the mess to configure it

eLhabib
10th January 2006, 05:48 PM
alright now! I guess this gives me the final push I needed to start coming back to xlink again. I've been away from wipEout purE for a much too long time already! I'll be around by the end of this week, promise! just need to re-establish my piloting skills first, I have a very bad feeling that Lunar is gonna take the chance and smoke my ass once and for all ;)
see you soon!

lunar
11th January 2006, 01:15 AM
I can`t imagine you letting that happen ;)

Lion and I have established a new end of night "chillout" race format - flash tour, compulsory shield 1 ship. It works very well - very close racing with constant lead changes and lots of elimination possibilities. It`s "chillout" compared to the usual phantom mayhem anyway.

Speaking of which, I think a lot more of the French Crew will be on Kai soon. There`s going to be some racing on Thursday night, so hope to see you there. :)

Lion
11th January 2006, 08:01 AM
for those without zone/medieval open any same-ship flash challenge works.
though the low shield makes for a more interesting strategy to the races...
deliberately messing up a corner so that a quake/rockets/missile is of more real use for example is a lot more devastating when it knocks of most of the shield >:P

eLhabib
11th January 2006, 11:22 AM
what time are you guys racing? (GMT please)

lunar
11th January 2006, 12:03 PM
Some time after 23.00, for me..... the usual. I think Assayeah may be planning on a bit sooner than that.

Lion
11th January 2006, 06:51 PM
I am still not back at work yet, so just msn/icq me and I'll be keen if awake

Asayyeah
11th January 2006, 08:49 PM
Speaking of which, I think a lot more of the French Crew will be on Kai soon. There`s going to be some racing on Thursday night, so hope to see you there. :)
The FFF ( French Free Flyer ) Team will be soon on Kaï :pirate , we worked on that 5 long hours yesterday night through Msn but it's more complex that we thought. Your help was much appreciated .
Yes a great thursday night is on the way... Sleh & Vic will be there in my room, if Lion was right we can connect them & me by my unique internet connection fighting on Kaï with worlwildwipers. That might be awesome .

About my GMT time racing it's 24 H / 24H :redface: .... well i wish by that to reduce the gap between Lunar & me ( hihi ).
Unfortunately my Kai session will probably much start around 9 PM till my eyes 'd close definitely or do something like that = :dizzy

Lion if you are there , i am certainly doing something in a few moments as a training , hope you will be around on Kai

JABBERJAW
12th January 2006, 03:37 PM
As soon as I get my computer up and running, I think I'll give this a try as well. Can you run 8 people at the same time?

lunar
12th January 2006, 05:20 PM
You can have 8 people joining a game - but the game would be unplayable. The max for a smooth, playable game is 4 on Kai. On Flash and below you can get away with 5 if everyone has a decent ping, but on higher speeds any more than 4 makes it much too choppy, no matter what the pings are or the upload speed of the game host. When there are a lot of players we split into groups and have a promotion/relegation system after tournaments.

I hope you can get on Kai - and when you have your first race against Arnaud that`s one starting grid I have to be on.

eLhabib
12th January 2006, 06:03 PM
oh just one thing: you guys are playing EU version, no? cuz I still need to get that one...

Lion
12th January 2006, 07:28 PM
asayyeah at least has the us version
I can't speak for everyone but I've played a fair bit on kai now and an incredibly small portion of it has been in the EU version, even against other zoners who have multiple versions.

lunar
12th January 2006, 07:35 PM
that`s true, but it would make more sense for the Euro to be the standard, so that we get the most tracks to choose from. Also 123 Klan, with its open section, and Burgertown with it`s "bomb alley" are both a multiplayer heaven/hell.

Asayyeah
12th January 2006, 08:20 PM
Anthony Vic-Cachou and me are connected now ....waiting on kai for fellow wipers :pirate

eLhabib
13th January 2006, 01:03 AM
WHEW! What a blast!
I wanna thank Lunar and the French Free Flyers for an awesome night of purE bliss! After almost 3 months of not playing, I have totally fallen in love with this game again, and I am sure to be online more often again now!

I strongly recommend xlink kai to everyone who is looking for some crazy amazing wipEout action! GET IT! NOW!

see y'all soon, you guys rock:rock

Asayyeah
13th January 2006, 05:44 AM
Yeah Join the WZ kai's crew :cowboy

5 players in the same game fighting eachothers without lag ...
Pure happiness

Lunar , you ve got the crown for the several victories you did
El : you got the crown for getting wiped out twice by me :redface: in a same tourney
And FFF team the crown for beiing 3 in a same room talking strategy ( i.e. be careful Vic , El's bomb is on your route..hihihi)

maybe a special one for me to quit this awesome Kai session after nearly 12 hours in a row ( finished by a venom ascension tourney with 4 fellow US wipers )

Now it's time for me to have my :o bed....

Damn i am MAD :pirate

lunar
13th January 2006, 10:11 AM
The best way never have to worry about Pure`s cheating AI - play on Kai. The opposition don`t cheat (of course :)) and they`re much tougher. How else can you race against the legendary holder of most WZ records, and El Habib who has a strong claim to be the best Pure racer out there? If you have broadband internet you can do it ;) It doesn`t even need to be particularly fast broadband. I used to play ok on 512 download and 128 upload speed, though my connection is faster now.

Assayeah makes it sound like I was further ahead than I was in the Vienna/Le Havre/Swindon challenge. I took the Phantom Descension we started with. Then Classic 2 Phantom and El`s mojo was starting to work again.... me, Assayeah and El had 1 win, and 19pts each going into the last race at Vohl Square. The tension was incredible. El ran away to win it, Assayeah was second, and I blew up.... too many barrel rolls/mines in my hopeless panic to catch El while I was battling Vic. After this a Shield 1 Ship/Flash/gamma tour, just me against the FFF (Assayeah, Vic and Anthony). It was incredibly close, Medievil delivered for me on races 1 and 2, then Anthony killed me twice with quakes in the last 2, and Assayeah shared gold with Vic - both of them in Zone.

Amazingly, Assayeah, Vic and Anthony were all in the same (actual physical) room sharing the same dwl 122 connection to kai. When Assayeah hosted, with his 512 upload speed, it was actually pretty smooth, though in normal circumstances 4 probably would still be the limit.

And the greatest thing is we could all choose different ships - me in VanUber, El in Assegai and the FFF guys in Triakis, and each had its own strengths/weaknesses, but it was down to the pilot in the end. Awesome job by SL in balancing the game so well. If only it was infrastructure online..... but Kai works well, and Pure is by far the most popular PSP game on Xlink, because it is so good.

Lance
13th January 2006, 05:34 PM
siiigh [daydreams about racing] :D

stin
13th January 2006, 07:57 PM
Now I`m drooling here after I had read this! but I will have a surprise VIP coming to my place:rolleyes:

stevie;)

Asayyeah
13th January 2006, 08:03 PM
New session available for tonight ( i hope sooner )
One thing i am sure is i won't be able to play as much as yesterday ( till the morning comes :frown: ) ... i am like a zone ship hitted by a backquake followed by roquets on Citta Nuova... only one difference it's not my shield which is critical....but my brain

Stin ... VIP = Very by Immersion Process which is a regular description for Xlink Kai. ;)
I am sure my 2nd coming from 19th to 24th of january to Scottland would be another great moment, i'll bring my DWL thingy , install it to your PC and we'll have a fight online with our fellow WZ members.
Can't wait to next week:hyper

Piranha5p33d5
30th January 2006, 02:02 PM
Oh my God! This sounds like amazing fun!!!

My only human opposition is my best friend who also owns Pure... scared him away from multiplayer though lol

This will definately be the reason to get a wireless router for me!

lunar
30th January 2006, 03:05 PM
If you`re going to get a wireless router, make sure it`s one of the models that can run Kai directly, and you`re not afraid of the kai installation, which includes flashing the router`s firmware. Check the psp forum at www.teamxlink.co.uk for details.

I guess you already have a good internet connection, so it might be cheaper and easier for you to just buy a usb wifi adapter - no need for a wireless router.

anyway hope to see you on xlink.

lunar
8th February 2006, 11:19 PM
Username, it`ll cost you £20: the price of a Dlink DWL122 USB adapter, which will connect your PSP wirelessly to your PC. Xlink Kai itself is free to use. It`s not easy to set up when you come to it for the first time, though it is actually quite simple for most people. Hopefully this might help a few people. This is the simplest way to get connected to kai - and is not as bad as it looks.

You need broadband internet, minimum 512 speed. You need access to change your network settings on the computer you want to use, and you need to be able to turn off your firewall if you have one.

before you buy your dwl122, you should check whether kai is going to work for you, with the internet connection you have. Go to www.teamxlink.co.uk (http://www.teamxlink.co.uk) and download Xlink Kai for Windows (assuming you`re on windows). Install it. Run the programme, create a username and password. Go into the PSP arena. Click on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the screen, which is the diagnostics, and wait to see if you see the words "Network Reachable Yes." At first it will say "Network Reachable Not yet." Eventually this should change to "yes", but it could take quite a few minutes. If it stays on "not yet" forever, you have problems to solve before spending cash on any new hardware. (If this happens you may be able to solve the problem with the Kai Configuration Tool which you downloaded with the main programme to your computer, or you may have to "Port Forward". Honestly don`t worry about all this unless your network isn`t reachable.)

Also go into an arena where some players are, and check that you can see their Pings. The ping is the quality of the connection between you and another computer. the lower the number the better. If everyone`s ping is "bad" for you, it means your internet connection is working too slow. If you can find other UK players, their Ping should be less than 100 to you, between 80 and 150 for people in mainland Europe.

A good ping, and seeing "Network Reachable Yes" means that Kai will work with your internet connection. The only big job then is to succesfully connect your PSP to your PC, via wireless link. At this point get your DWL122 and go to this (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=cd937bf794aea603c9d28d17ec2291fb%22%5BURL=%22h ttp://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5649&sid=cd937bf794aea603c9d28d17ec2291fb) page, follow the instructions exactly. By the time you have done this, you will understand a lot more than you do at the moment.

Then go into the windows network settings for your DWL122 (you will know all about this from the previous instructions you followed), click the "wireless networks" tab, then untick the box which says "Use Windows to Configure My Wireless Networks". Then print this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/GallagherKnight/PSP-W-LAN-ConfigforDWL-122.jpg) page which are settings to use for your DWL122. Double click on the D Icon on the desktop of your PC (bottom right corner.) This will bring up a program which controls the settings for your DWL 122. Enter the settings. Host a game in Wipeout Pure multiplayer, launch kai (you must do it in this order). Go to Kai diagnostics and check again that you see "Network Reachable Yes" and that Kai detects your PSP. When this is all good, go to the Pure arena. Get your PSP and hit triangle until you`re back at the main Pure menu. Then press "Multiplayer" again, and you are ready to host or join games.

That`s it - no guarantees it`ll work, but I`ve never known anyone fail if they really want to do it enough.

username
21st February 2006, 05:10 PM
i still have no luck while trying to get hold of this kai thing, what do i need to enter in the arenas and groups and also what is this clan thing i need to fill-out? please help, dan.

edit: i think i have done it now, all i need to know is: who is the clan leader and his or her address, also i need to know there web-site

lunar
21st February 2006, 05:45 PM
You don`t need to fill out anything to do with clans. You don`t need to be in a clan or worry about that at all. When Kai launches, just click the globe icon to go into arena mode. This brings up the list of arenas. Enter the PSP arena by clicking the arrow above it. Then choose which game arena you want to go into the same way. Then do the "network reachable" test I described above. :)

username
21st February 2006, 05:48 PM
ah yes, where is the globe symbol?

lunar
21st February 2006, 05:59 PM
Top left of the screen, next to the magnifying glass icon (which is the symbol for diagnostics mode).

Edit: it`s actually at the top right if you don`t have the kai screen maximized - sorry for confusion ;)

username
21st February 2006, 06:17 PM
lol: still no luck! i think i will give up for now and wait to get someone to help me and do it for me !

guillaume
3rd March 2006, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone.
I've been reading all the kai stuff for a while now and I'd really like to be able to play with you guys.

The thing is at home I've got a Belkin wireless G router (F5D7230-4) on 2nd floor, and my room is in 1st floor. So is it possible to use the DWL-122 that I would plug on the pc in my room to get the internet connection from the router and at the same time use the DWL-122 to get on kai from the psp?
And btw, could the router be a problem to play on kai?

Asayyeah
3rd March 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi fellow french citizen :)

About your system, i may be wrong but you can only use the DWL to establish an ad-hoc connection between your pc and your psp . That means your routeur on 2nd floor send & receive internet kai datas to your pc via your wificard ( which can't be the DWL )on your 1st floor PC.

Add me to your msn buddie list and we will be able to talk easily if you 've got other issues with Kai & your routeur

guillaume
3rd March 2006, 05:38 PM
Ho, ok.

****. I don't have a wifi card :)
I thought buying the DWL-122 would have been enough...

lunar
3rd March 2006, 07:23 PM
Assayeah is right. This won`t work. Your dwl can`t do two jobs at once. It would have to be setup in different ways for the internet connection and the PSP connection. To play, you need an internet connection for your computer (wired or wireless) and a seperate connection for your PSP to the PC.

DjManiac21
4th March 2006, 12:36 PM
hey guys, is this the dongle i need to use kai?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000E5SF4/qid=1141479118/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/026-8362799-1792430

Everything goes great with the one i have now, network recheable and everything but i cant seem to make the sitecom usb dongle work...
I will look for the router now, so is it best to have the router or the dongle???
Please answer fast because im leaving to but it now...

:D

EDIT: Anyway Amazon wont send me the dongle, it´s because im in the netherlands.... :( Damn them!
I hope i can get a router then, i will go for the WRT54G router, that i think i saw when i bought the dongle i have now.
Hope to get Kai working!

Asayyeah
4th March 2006, 01:13 PM
DJM : yeah this is the good link but it seems you have choosen the routeur option ( weird thing is amazon can't send it to you in Amsterdam :mad: )
As i told you lately on kai i am not an expert with routeur only with DWL you can call Lunar & me DWL Doctors :p .
Sadely we have found people with the right settings for Kai and their DWL : they can connect to kai but when we host a tour they doesn't appear into the race , their ships seem to be bloked on a side of a track and won't move from this point during all the race. they didn't see us too into the race and won't be hited by a weapon. That's really annoying.
The 3 people i know are Del stepho ( livebox wanadoo 512 K ) Pipieuvras ( livebox wanadoo 8 Mb ) and Bl ( Ben ) a UK citizen .

So my message here is to say there's no reason Kai won't work perfectly on your system but there could be millions of reasons not to work too...we just need to find that reason...

DjManiac21
4th March 2006, 01:20 PM
Ok then, the weirs thing is that my sitecom dongle connects to the psp and everything, but ai wont be able to recognize it...

Man, this is so annoying....
Anyway, i will try to see what can i do now, im about to leave to but the router, but where im going to go they dont have thw dwl122, what a shame!!!!!
I´m not sure though to get a router and then not beeing able to make Kai work, i will throw the pc though the window for sure... :D

Thanx for everything :) I´ll see what can i do

lunar
4th March 2006, 01:47 PM
The Xlink people have said that it`s possible to have your PSP detected by Kai, and still not be able to play. This is usually because Kai only works with particular "chipsets", that are only used in certain (usually older) usb adapters. It can also be because the configuration of the wifi adapter does not allow you to enter the correct IP settings. The best thing is to stick to one from their list of adapters that are known to work, and the best of these is the reliable old dwl122 because there`s such a good big knowledge base of experienced Kai-doctors around it. :p. And because it`s cheap.

It must be possible to find an online retailer in the UK who sells it and will ship to the Netherlands. Just google.co.uk for it. It won`t be much more expensive than amazon, and it`s always going to be cheaper than a router. If this is really impossible, see if you can get it delivered to my house and I`ll forward it.

I would strongly advise you not to go for the router method. I`ve seen many many people on Kai who`ve had nervous breakdowns over that, but a wifi adapter can easily be made to work if you have the right one. I don`t think the router method would solve the wanadoo lag problems, such as Del Stepho has, either. Good luck. :)

username
4th March 2006, 04:54 PM
what kind of wireless adaptor do i need. i can manage to get into kai now (as danagol) but i need a stronger wireless adaptor. one that fits into the usb port would be ideal.

DjManiac21
4th March 2006, 07:55 PM
yeah, i think im going to kill someone today... people that made the linksys v5 routers!!!!!!!!!! That´s the one i got to sadly find out that i dont need that one, only versions up to 2 will work!!!!!!!!! MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hate this......
I dont know what to do now.... ive been trying to make Kai work for 2 days... i will give up and try to see if the people at the retails store will give me at least store credit for it....

EDIT: I´m really thankfull for your offer to have the dwl122 delivered to your house, i didn´t say it before coz im soooo pis*** with the linksys people... So many versions.... Man... I´ll see if i can but on of those later and see if i can send you the shipping expenses though moneygram or something. But for now i´ll wait until monday to exchange the router and see what can i get.
Thanx Lunar :)

Asayyeah
4th March 2006, 09:08 PM
Bad news Mauro :mad:

I hope you can exchange it on Monday.
Tell us inform please

username
4th March 2006, 10:15 PM
Ho, ok.

****. I don't have a wifi card :)
I thought buying the DWL-122 would have been enough...

what kind of wireless adaptor/card do i need, i have a laptop (might be a good idea to mention that) could someone please pm me, many thanks

DjManiac21
4th March 2006, 11:04 PM
I just found something else that is interesting... Does my 2.6 PSP work with Kai, coz i noticed people saying it can´t be more than 2.0 firmware....
That´s another reason for getting an infrastructure game with the money i get from the router :P
Anyway, hope you can tell me... And sorry for posting so much about this Lance, it´s just that i want to know to dont be going around again spending 90 euros to try and play on Kai, hope the next WIPEOUT has a real infrastructure mode though...

C YA GUYS! :D

lunar
5th March 2006, 01:28 AM
Yes a 2.6 can play, I believe. When the 2.6 versions first came out there were problems, but I read on the xlink forums that it was sorted out.

JABBERJAW
5th March 2006, 01:51 AM
Hey djm, I did the same thing! But I traded my router with my nephew who had a version 3 ( it works for the g, but not the gs, that only goes to version 2). Anyway, I'm still not on, but hopefully soon.

Lion
5th March 2006, 02:32 AM
my psp is version 2.6
I didn't have to change any setup when I upgraded to that from 1.5 either, it just kept working :)

lunar
6th March 2006, 08:20 AM
The problem I think was less to do with the firmware 2.6, and more to do with the MAC addresses of the Giga pack PSPs, though I think these were 2.6 firmware (not that it matters, I think). Anyway, the problem was that kai did not recognise the MAC addresses of the new PSPs because Sony changed them in some way. The problem was solved by Xlink releasing an auto-update for Kai. This meant that people with some Giga pack PSPs couldn`t play on Kai for a while after they were released, until the update was made.

Some people who have had troubles connecting to Kai with a Giga Pack PSP might find that it now works.

DjManiac21
6th March 2006, 03:58 PM
Well, i got some money and Socom Fireteam Bravo for the router :) So i´m pretty happy now :) That game has an awesome infrastructure mode, up to 16 people :P
Hope to get the dongle though from Amazon and send it to Lunar who offered to forward it :) Thank you bro!
Hope you are all doing fine, in the meantime in getting some records on the defaulted page just to keep in touch with WipEout :D

C ya guys!

Asayyeah
7th March 2006, 07:46 PM
i hope you don't have a routeur with an integrated firewall inside, it may cause issues even you are using a DWL. As a matter of fact, i am not a specialist for routeur & thingy like doing a portforward or something similar : i ve tried to help a friend from Paris with my DWL and his firewalled routeur , i ve been connecting to kai perfectly ( sony 1 , psp successfully configurated, network reachable : yes ) but no chance to join or host a game.

talking about defaulted site i updated today 4 phantom laps.
your :dizzy ... insane, ... amazing ....vineta K is always there :p

But let's have a look on Citta Nuova. Under 30 is acheived with Triakis the noble.

DjManiac21
8th March 2006, 09:24 AM
That´s an insane Citta Nuova Record!!!!! Man! :D
Hope to get some more records on Venom, then Flash and so on, but at least i used the preactice i got on Vineta K when racing phantom to make sure i hold all the records in that track, at least for now :)
And to reply to the second question the thing is that yeah i got a firewalled router, but it´s a Livebox and i remember hearing that Del had a wanadoo connection???? Thing is i think there is someway to port forward the router, in the meantime i got network reachable, and hope to buy the router in a few days :)

C YA!

Asayyeah
8th March 2006, 12:49 PM
If you can disabled your firewall into your routeur and just let the port at 0 into Kai config tool ( to avoid portforwarding ) but also let open your proper firewall like zone alarm, norton, avg ... and open the ports into this firewall to kai programm.

I hope for you you don't have for your livebox the same serial number as Del and pipieuvras ( the invisible ships when racing on Kai).

congrats MMV ( Mauro Master of Vineta :clap ) you have beaten Zeus on flash . He told me by msn he is becoming depressive : last week he was pretty sure to be one of the kai leader before we raced him with Bl ( ben ) lol and he told me after that : hey hopefully i get crazy time on TT vineta each classes but i gave him the link from defaulted site : he avoided an heart attack only by seing he was leader at least on flash but Mauro you crucified him yesterday by your new flash record.
Life is rude sometimes :coffee

lunar
21st July 2006, 12:21 PM
For anyone who has been struggling to play on Xlink Kai, they have released a new beta version of the program which, they claim, is much easier to set up.

here (http://texas.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20504) is the link.

I haven`t tested it, but they say it works with a WiFi Max, and it has a good chance of working with a dwl122 also. It really looks quite an easy setup compared to the old way, and also has the advantage that you can change games while in Kai and just keep playing, without having to quit Kai and reset your SSID, which many of us had to do before.

Chill
22nd July 2006, 08:52 PM
Woh, wait up!! I'm a dumbass who doesn't understand the use of Xlink thingies at all. I know I don't have a laptop or internet or anything (I'm using the cyper cafe at my airforce base right now), but you would first download the stuff, then hook up and Xlink thingy with that? I thought Xlink Kai would be seperate Xlink hardware in it's own, not downloadable software!! I will buy a laptop and internet and all that in the future, so I'd thought it'd be nice to understand all this. So you download Xlink Kai, make payments on that in someway, while paying for your internet, and the software would work with the $100 dollar Xlink hardware you buy? Do I have this right?

Sausehuhn
22nd July 2006, 09:43 PM
Xlink is freeware, doesn't cost anything at all.
The only thing that costs you extra-money is a compatible Wireless-Lan router/stick. And the internet of course. But you would have to pay that anyway if you want to surf, download and do all that stuff you can do with the WWW.
If you buy the right Laptop or get the right WLan-router/stick with your internet connection, you don't even need to buy all that as well, because it's in the Laptop (a lot new Laptops have WLan included) or the router/stick is compatible with Xlink.

So all you need is Xlink (free), a internet connection/flatrate (costs money) and a WLan router/stick that is compatible with the Xlink software (costs extra money if it's not already included with your internet connection). :)

...ah and a fully recharged PSP with WipEout Pure ;)

Chill
22nd July 2006, 09:46 PM
Cool, thanx man!!! :D Now, to just wait tell I get the proper money...

q_dmc12
29th July 2006, 08:17 PM
hmm, a cyber cafe - eh? That may or may not work, I know that when I tried xlink off my college's wifi connection it didn't work. That's because some places have certain ports blocked (i.e. 30000, 30001, etc.), however, if you can use an IM client (AIM, YIM, MSN, Skype, etc.) you should be okay for using kai - but be warned, all of this investing may only end in dissapointment.;)

Chill
29th July 2006, 10:44 PM
We aren't allowed to hook anything up to these computers, they're government use more or less, so I need to save up for a good laptop, which I am working on, before I get Xlink kai, or whatever. ;)

q_dmc12
1st August 2006, 10:48 PM
Heh, no, TCP ports not ports that you plug in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

stin
28th November 2007, 08:35 AM
Very helpful post - I hope someone finds it useful.

I`m thinking of going down the usb adaptor route for Kai, and I found this guide:

http://www.pspcrazy.com/wifihack.htm

An adaptor is cheaper than a router, and I can also send it back if I come a cropper due to my ignorance of these sort of things, or if I can`t get past the network that provides my internet access. Wish me luck: I`m going to need a generous amount of it, I think. 8O

I know this is an old one, but I will try this one tonight to see if it`s works.

Thank you lunar!:beer

stevie:) (fingers crossed)

Asayyeah
19th February 2008, 02:47 AM
I had a look tonight on Stevie's routeur ( BT home Hub ), he needs to flash his firmware by a speedtouch 7g Firmware otherwise it's not possible to play Pure with this kind of routeur, he also needs to set up a static IP adress and also new IP for each of his devices ( i printed for him a how-to-do from portforward.com but if someone can help him or just gives him tips for the flash of routeur's firmware, he will really appreciate that)

Rapier Racer
19th February 2008, 04:50 PM
I have little experience with the Home Hub itself but a small warning make sure you flash the right stuff to it or you can say chow to your Hub.

I can tell you that the Hub updates itself automatically when BT send out updates you might never notice it due the time it happens, with that in mind I'm not sure if there is a way manually flash new firmwares to it, I trust you looked for a manual option on any 'Upgrade' menu there might be?

stin
19th February 2008, 07:47 PM
RR, yes, it had been upgraded Router twice and still 6.2, so I`m gonna phone them eventually.

Cheers mate.

stevie:)

Kevlar
23rd February 2008, 05:06 PM
Ive tried to download the 'Xlink Kai' but cant save-there is only a 'Save File' and 'Cancel' option, and the Save file one is greyed out

Edit:Tried using another browser-managed to download :)

According to Xlink, nobody is online for niether Pure nor Pulse

omega329
17th April 2008, 05:54 PM
come on guys, pure was awesome, it needs a new spurt of life, we need to go back to the good old days when players don't quit when losing, I bet that playing pure on xlink was one of the highlights of peoples days. We need to return the glory of pure, we need to make it live again.

Darkdrium777
19th April 2008, 08:01 PM
I would very much like to but I never got XLink to work.
And now that the company who made the drivers for the PSP WifiMax is dead, I just cannot use it anymore. :/

omega329
20th April 2008, 03:06 PM
yeah, the port forwarding and static local IP address are a bit tedious to configure. Also, it doesn't work on computers wil AOL on them, which annoyed me a lot. It took a looong time to convince my dad that I didn't want to install AOL on my computer.

Task
18th July 2008, 08:16 PM
I think I've got XLink Kai installed and running on my system, and I think I've got my PSP connected to it, and I think I'm hosting a room, but I can't find an arena for Pure!

I'd like to find out if I've got this working, PM me if you're online and know that your Kai works. 8 )

My XTag: JW_Task

Okay, found the arena in the Japanese/Korean area. Never considered looking there. Thanks sox for the hint!

Asayyeah
19th July 2008, 02:19 AM
Jay : that is what i call a really good news : i shall give you a hint through msn when i can play with you ( possibly saturday or sunday )
That could be awesome if you can invite Mike at home in the future ( you can split your Kai's connexion )

Axel
20th July 2008, 09:38 AM
Just hooked up PURE with the KAI system. Shall we arrange for a online meet guys?

Also I have the latest firmware for the PSP, will that matter also?

Last but final, does someone have a FAQ on here for us XLink dummies? :)

borell
20th July 2008, 10:13 AM
I'm on kai now, in the lobby for pure. :pirate

Axel
20th July 2008, 10:30 AM
Just found out that you need a wireless usb hub to play the game. dammit!!! Why can't the damn thing play through the wireless router!!!

Task
20th July 2008, 10:31 AM
I think this thread IS the FAQ!

It depends a lot on how you're connecting.
I'm doing the "Cable/DSL to a windows home computer, USB dongle to connect PSP to PC" method, and it's different from a couple other methods.

archman
8th June 2009, 03:40 PM
I got it to work under Ubuntu Linux with a bcm4311 card (Broadcom). The card can go into monitor mode under Linux. (Can't go under winblows) Anyone interested, I can help. Or provide the config files. :)
See you online! ;)

stin
8th June 2009, 10:00 PM
http://34y0ha.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pm0jOLvDqgc9_W7dgbTwtP7wOB-Yb6a_uf59BimH22WS3OGCb1-K1JhdN5vG2xwVBs043WcmmmqA-EvRe2dsYguDS1tSoszDj/kai1.bmp

Right, I`m, really stuck this time and I`m using BT hub2.

Can everyone help me?

stevie:(

stin
30th June 2009, 08:08 PM
Now, I`m using different dongle this time! and I am starting to use WI-FI MaXx and went first time!:hyper

stevie:)