PDA

View Full Version : non-obvious capabilities of weapons

Lion
26th May 2005, 05:45 AM
I noticed yesterday in a single race that if you use a disruption blast on 2 racers that are close together (ie: touching as they jostle for position) then it's possible to get both of them in one shot. could be handy in multiplayer that info :P

has anyone else noticed any handy but not immediately obvious (unexpected?) things with the weapons?

I also noticed (not that this is useful) that if you drive at a wall you bounce off, but if you speed boost at a wall you don't

another good one is if you are being tailgated close enough and can drop a bomb, you get slightly hurt by the blast radius but it gives you a little boost in speed

Sausehuhn
26th May 2005, 10:51 AM
Colin said one time, that they have changed the features of the weapons. In every WipEout before Pure a weapon just can damage one ship (ok, in Fusion the plasma bolt can eleminated more than 1 opponents [4 was the max. I've seen so far]), if a opponent next to you was hidden by a rocket or something like this just the opponent was hurt, not you, no matter how close to it you were.
In Pure they changed that. The weapons are more realistic now. You can see in one of the trailers how a ship is hidden by a missle and the ships around it are damaged by the compressional wave (< dictionary, hope that's what I was searching for) of the weapon, too.

I hope I didn't say anything wrong, haven't played the game yet, but Colin said so if I'm right.

yawnstretch
26th May 2005, 11:38 AM
THe only thing that annoys me about the weapons is their lack of flexibility during bounces - they dont tend to stabilize themselves in any way but rather bounce off the track at vertical angles making them useless at certain moments.

That said the sound a rocket makes when it bounces off the track and hits nothing is flipping awesome! - hurtling tornado-like noise heard overhead / in the background! :D

Space Cowboy
26th May 2005, 01:34 PM
You can use the plasma, rocket, DB, quake to destroy bombs which I find very helpful.
Personally I think the Bomb should be removed from the game, its way to unbalanced.

G'Kyl
26th May 2005, 07:40 PM
You are kidding, rigtht? The bomb is the effing coolest addition they could have made to the arsenal! ;-)

yawnstretch
26th May 2005, 07:45 PM
I bloody love the bomb. It looks awesome - interesting to note though - if you plant one mid air on a big jump and look backwards you will see that you dont get a full spherical explosion - they only animated a hemisphere! (This happened to me once anyway - don't know about anyone else).

lunar
26th May 2005, 07:50 PM
I agree, Ben and Yawnstretch. I only wish you could hit your own bombs, like I mistakenly thought you could. It added a lot of strategy to the game while I was playing under that illusion. :roll: :wink:

Dimension
26th May 2005, 07:56 PM
Nah, I hate the bomb. It takes forever and a day to accelerate in purE and considering the bomb stops you dead and makes you drift for a couple of seconds before your engine kicks in, it ruins everything you've been working towards for a race if you're unlucky enough to hit one :?

infoxicated
26th May 2005, 08:51 PM
Agreed - I don't know why the acceleration in Pure is so poor, but when you are robbed of all your speed your ship just seems so sluggish. The bomb is like the grav stinger in Fusion, with the way it stops your progress, although I think the visual effect of the explosion, and the effect of the blast on the physics of the craft is tremendous.

Too many games take the easy way out, where an explosion is just a flash of light and smoke - it's nice to see that there's a lot of energy involved in the explosions in Pure. Well done Linky :)

eLhabib
26th May 2005, 09:54 PM
well, of course it's annoying to be stopped dead and having to accelerate all over again (although this only REALLY bothered me in the slower classes, where the acceleration is really poor). But then, HEY! IT'S A BOMB FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! wouldn't you expect it to make some bang?
I also think that it is one of the greatest additions to the arsenal of w'o'', just love kicking enemies off Sol2 with it :twisted:
and there's NOTHING more satisfying than hearing the BOOM of your own bomb behind you 8)

Sven
26th May 2005, 11:12 PM
You have to admit, it's a lot better than having the Thunder Bolt back, considering that the AI uses things now. And it looks and sounds fantastic. (It's also cool to smash one with a sheild.)

What's interesting about it is if someone runs into it nearby, it will throw you off as well.

It seems to me that the forward firing weapons don't quite fire forward. If you're turning and fire a weapon, it seems more to fire in the direction of the motion than where the ship is pointing. (And the thing with firing weapons while bouncing is rather annoying. Do quakes even launch of you fire them airborne?)

Cool things with weapons? Well, at close range, you can hit one ship with 3 rockets, to do some serious damage.
With the missile's awesome ability to bounce off walls, you can fire them around turns.
Do a slide (double-tap airbrake) while dropping mines to make them more difficult to avoid for opponents.

mlinklater
27th May 2005, 11:42 AM
it's nice to see that there's a lot of energy involved in the explosions in Pure. Well done Linky

Ta la. Glad you like it. :D

eLhabib
27th May 2005, 01:14 PM
ooooh, another lurker! 8O

defor
27th May 2005, 01:47 PM
I personally love the effects done in pure- off the top of my head, for the life of me I can't remember Fusion's explosions and so on, but I still play 3 SE, 2097, and 1, All of them had hideous effects.. My personal favorite was the sudden.. stopped, darkened ship in 3 which was like... HUH? someone turned off the lightswitch to the car. Pure's explosions and detail is very nice, although The shards of ship remaining bother me- I'd like to perhaps see some variation in what the destroyed ship looks like or how it blows up... scraping into a wall lightly to knock off the last little bit on the shield should be a much more mundane destruction that, say, the explosion and shards of ship that should be propelled hundreds of meters down the track when a ship runs into a bomb while traveling at 700 kph....
<rambling off...>
Of course, I'm askign way too much out of a cute little portable system, so perhaps this should go in the ps3 wipeout thread....
</rambling off...>

Egg
27th May 2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, but where's the fun in a mundane destruction !!!!

Glad you like the weapon effects.

Mission Accomplished :D :D

Hacker X
27th May 2005, 07:46 PM
Has anyone else noticed the different effects the Disruptor seems to have on you when you get hit with one. The most surprising was what seemed to be an AUTOPILOT FEATURE!

I swear man, I kept noticing that sometimes when I would get hit with the Disruptor and was coming up on a snaking turn, the ship would seem to navigate itself through the track. Then I tried it officially yesterday when I got hit with one, and IT WORKED. So the differences of Disruptor I've seen are:

- enabling a brief Autopilot (which seems to work in your favor)
- visual distortion where your vision is zooming in and out quickly
- the opposite of the autopilot feature, where all navigation systems are put into reverse, hence if you stear left, the craft goes right, etc, etc. (the worst effect of disruptor). Usually leaves your craft crippled into a wall if you are going fast around a turn at the time of getting hit.

Sven
27th May 2005, 08:19 PM
There's also a disruptor effect that makes your ship behave erratically...it will steer back & forth at random, and you have to deal with that. There's also an effect that disables your airbrakes. I think there's also one that gives you crazy psychedellic vision.

I think there's 16 random effects in total, some more annoying than others.

Hacker X
27th May 2005, 08:26 PM
^^^Wow! I didn't know it could do those other things! Thanks for the heads up.

Architect
28th May 2005, 04:01 PM
Yes there is an auto-pilot disruptor effect. Weird but helpful sometimes!

Drakkenmensch
4th July 2005, 02:49 AM
The autopilot in pure is nowhere near the effective catastrophy preventer it was in XL - you could rush headfirst into a wall during a hairpin turn and the autopilot could steer you correctly anyway, unlike pure where you need to be at least reasonably going in the right direction (in a few tracks, there's some sections I'd rather fly manually than trust to the AP). HOWEVER this one lets you pick up and USE other weapons while you're being autodriven - if you have the luck to pick up a hyperspeed boost while you're on autopilot, USE IT! You'll be going insanely fast AND you won't even RISK hitting walls!!!

On another note, I very much appreciate the explosion animation of the bomb. If you're flying behind someone who triggers one, you'll lose your sight of the track for a brief instant as you fly into the blast radius. I hope you learned the track by heart at that point, because you'll need to know where the next turn is BEFORE you reach it!

Readymade
4th July 2005, 03:40 AM
If you're flying behind someone who triggers one, you'll lose your sight of the track for a brief instant as you fly into the blast radius. I hope you learned the track by heart at that point, because you'll need to know where the next turn is BEFORE you reach it!
Agreed. Same goes for Rockets and Quakes. I've screwed myself too many times by firing a weapon and then forgetting to steer. :P

Hellfire_WZ
4th July 2005, 08:35 AM
This is the reason I thought the Quake was best executed in Wip3out. The speed of the quake adjusted to suit the speed class, whereas in Pure and 2097 it goes at the same speed no matter what class you race on. Use the quake on Phantom class and you can't see a thing in front of you. As a result, I never use quakes unless I'm at a near standstill or in a tight corner. At least it gives you half a chance to outrun them though. :)

Rouni Kenshin#1
4th July 2005, 08:56 PM
yep that quake is a tricky one but the worst was when i shot the quake picked up a boost hitthe boost and got hit blown up by my own superwepon.

Drakkenmensch
4th July 2005, 09:12 PM
Be that as it may, you have to admit that it IS quite the adrenaline rush to hear the announcer say "Quake" and seeing your screen grow progressively more red as the wave approaches, all the while piloting for your life, fearing the slightest airbrake or wall scratching loss of speed, repeating to yourself mantra-like:

"DONTSLOWDOWNDONTSLOWDOWNDONTSLOWDOWN"

There's nothing more satisfying than making it across the finish line while the switch in camera angle shows you just how CLOSE that quake was to blowing you into thousands of fiery bits ;)

Rapier Racer
4th July 2005, 09:22 PM
Out of interest how far around the tracks does the quake travel? I though it went far but after some phantom 2097 it seemed to travel only a short distance

G'Kyl
5th July 2005, 05:18 AM
I'd say it doesn't go further than two to three hundred meters. I also thought it went far around the track and used it extensively in order to catch all the guys up ahaead, but no, it only gets the ones right in front of your nose, more or less.

Drakkenmensch: I absolutely second that; Evading a quake is probably the coolest thing Pure, except maybe getting finally up into the slipstream of the pole driver who then gives you the bomb treatment - which at least LOOKS like in a fine action movie. ;-) However, what's even better than making it over the finish line with a quake closing in is to actually run it out! It's possible at Phantom and Rapier, I think, and veeeeery satisfying. :-)

Ben

Readymade
5th July 2005, 06:04 AM
yep that quake is a tricky one but the worst was when i shot the quake picked up a boost hitthe boost and got hit blown up by my own superwepon.
Ah... so you *can* run into your own Quake. Question answered. :lol:

wirehang
5th July 2005, 12:47 PM
The control reversal disruptor is the nastiest, laziest piece of game deign ever. Please take it out of the next version.

Other than that, I think bombs are great - I love the sound they make as they fly by. Mines too.

matt

Dogg Thang
5th July 2005, 01:06 PM
Not sure if it could be classed as lazy, but I don't like the disruptor at all - more because it has more than one effect than the nature of the effects. The fact that the only way to know what the effect is is to keep flying means that you can't do a thing about it. By the time you realise what the effect is, it is too late. That could have been avoided with colour coded effects but I'd rather it went altogether as it can cause you to lose a race instantly and I don't think one weapon hit should be able to do that.

Also the thing that really bugs me about the reversal effect is that you have no way of knowing when it will wear off so, even if you have done okay with the reverse controls, when it shifts back you are likely to plough into a wall.

Hellfire_WZ
5th July 2005, 01:14 PM
I lost a Phantom Ascension tourney recently to that exact effect, albeit I'm sure some of you will find it quite comical. Final race at Sol 2, I got hit with a disruptor on the open straight section. Cue me suddenly veering off the wrong way into oblivion. Respawned and went on as usual, but it wore off more quickly than I thought and I ended up flying off the OTHER side of the track!

I cried...

Drakkenmensch
5th July 2005, 01:21 PM
Well, in my experience ANY weapon used in the right way can turn a certain first place into a third, fifth or outright elimination.

I can't even keep track of how many times I lost at Blue Ridge on the very LAST turn because the AI shot me dead on with a rocket and slammed me into the wall, taking advantage of the fact that I have to slow down to take the trickiest curve of the whole track.

Another thing I find can kill an entire race is being hit by a weapon on the front of your craft while you're slowing down, leading you to a complete and utter stop. The engine just seems unable to kick in for a few seconds. And if you're unlucky enough that the burst of the explosion actually gives you BACKWARDS momentum, you have an even greater gap to overcome. THOSE are the few moments that actually make me swear aloud, especially in a tournament.

phoenixx
5th July 2005, 04:30 PM
yep - being hit in the last race of a tourny can be so frustrating. In wo 2097 it was more balanced. You always had a chance to come back. The PURE disruption bolt lets you watch all your contenders passing by. congratulations. And I guess my neighbour can hear me when I try to steer with reversed controls. I like the greater challenge of PURE, but I hope this heavy weapon impact will change in future wipeouts.

Sven
6th July 2005, 03:28 AM
Be that as it may, you have to admit that it IS quite the adrenaline rush to hear the announcer say "Quake" and seeing your screen grow progressively more red as the wave approaches, all the while piloting for your life, fearing the slightest airbrake or wall scratching loss of speed, repeating to yourself mantra-like:

"DONTSLOWDOWNDONTSLOWDOWNDONTSLOWDOWN"
The coolest thing happened to me with the quakes...Phantom class...There was one coming in, I was desperately trying to hold it off. Then I run over a weapon pad, and it's a sheild! No sooner then I activated the sheild did the quake slide itself underme. It was the coolest thing.

Anyway, I discovered that a quake won't fire if you are over a section of track that doesn't actually have any track under you (i.e. a jump with a gap).

syckls
6th July 2005, 04:25 AM
They can also split up along multiple sections of track. This was discovered when I shot one right as I approached the second split in the course on Sinucit. Very cool feature.

wirehang
6th July 2005, 07:32 AM
They will also not cross gaps?

phoenixx
6th July 2005, 07:37 AM
they cross the gaps, but if you are lucky to be in the air over a gap the quake won't shake you.

wirehang
6th July 2005, 08:46 AM
Perhaps I just saw the end of a quake and a gap coincide? ;)

Drakkenmensch
6th July 2005, 01:32 PM
I've fired quakes in Karbonis right before the section with two small leaps, and the quake does jump over the gaps to keep on going on the other side. Just don't fire it while you're over a gap or too far high off the track!

wirehang
6th July 2005, 01:34 PM
What happens in those situations?

Drakkenmensch
6th July 2005, 01:35 PM
Nothing at all. You just hear a "bloop" sound and you wonder "Where the hell is the quake I just fired?!?"

wirehang
6th July 2005, 01:39 PM
And you lose the weapon? 8O

matt

phoenixx
6th July 2005, 01:40 PM
It happened sometimes that I fired a quake and nothing happened. Maybe you're right that I was too high off the track.