PDA

View Full Version : The 154 golds challenge - U.S. version

eLhabib
18th May 2005, 01:47 PM
just got my 154! staten park time trials really are quite tough. Strangely enough it was venom and flash I found the hardest on staten park...

so, anyone else with 154 yet?

Purist
18th May 2005, 02:51 PM
BITCH!!! :cry:

Ang on! :wink:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2156
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/kevs355/157.jpg

I know just what you mean though dood, Staten Park time trial are ROCK on Phantom, so, remember what I said kids bout those speed up pads, ZONE craft and at least 1 barrel role somewhere...

def
18th May 2005, 05:58 PM
i got my 154, had a my last final exam this morning so havent been able to play till a little while ago. the phantom TT on staten park is tons of fun, i love the way the somewhat bumpy track feels silky smooth at high speeds.

Purist
18th May 2005, 06:21 PM
kinda tough finding a spec to barrel role though innit?!?!? :twisted:

def
18th May 2005, 06:31 PM
not particularly :) what you do is you take the right hand corner before the downhil straight and use your turbo before you crest the uphil. you should have atleast 2.5 seconds of airtime to pull off your roll, much better than trying 2 rolls on vineta k without turbo ^_^

eLhabib
18th May 2005, 07:05 PM
yeah the spot for barrel rolling was pretty clear to me from the first lap on... on rapier and phantom it even works without the turbo. just pull up before the drop.

Purist
18th May 2005, 09:03 PM
Yea, don't get me wrong, I found it.. eventually! - just didn't wanna say where and spoil it for everyone else! :(

Seek100
18th May 2005, 09:50 PM
My god, what were they smoking when they came up with the times for the Staten Park TTs!? :evil: I mean it's ridiculous. I tried but have yet to successfully do a barrel roll at the jump, there's just not enough height, I'm on Vector using the Harimau, I'm sure it'd probably be very easy on Flash or Rapier but on Vector there just isn't enough time to complete the roll and I hit the ground.

Aside from that I've got near perfect laps and have got to within 0.08s of a silver but can't get any faster than that.

SL guys: we're only human, not all of us have all day to play one track on the slowest speed (no offense Purist or anyone else who has done it already, you guys must have the patience of a, erm, very patient person).

Purist
18th May 2005, 10:31 PM
...(no offense Purist or anyone else who has done it already, you guys must have the patience of a, erm, very patient person).

Hey, don't drag me in! :D I'm with you on this one I STILL can't get em' on RAPIER and PHANTOM

I do think it's good challenge though, having the bronze's make for a nicer target to reach!

Seek100, keep trying and remember.. use the force - UHHHEM! sorry getting carried away with EpIII launch day!!! I mean use the MEDIEVIL ship, makes for a much more pleasant ride!!! and you really do need to use that boost about 75% of the way through (on the 'humps') so's you can achieve that barrel role!.. hope this helps?!?!?

eLhabib
18th May 2005, 10:58 PM
actually I found the rapier and phantom golds the easiest ones! I got them on the first attempt, with my trusty assegai, so it's not a question of the right ship either, since the assegai isn't one of the fastest. the ones I found really hard were the vector, venom and flash golds, because I had to get used to the slower speeds again, don't really play in the slower classes anymore. But they were not THAT hard, at least not as hard as I expected them to be from the rumors. took me between 3 and 6 tries. just make sure you hit all the pads and the turbo with optional barrel roll on the long downhill. also be sure to push down your nose pitch there, otherwise you will rise too high and lose momentum.

Manic
19th May 2005, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't the reason for the Phantom class being the easiest be that you can take a high-handling ship without having to worry that much about speed?

Also, on Citta Nuova, I'd go with either the Harimau (Vector, Venom) or AG-Sys (Flash, Rapier, Phantom) craft. You don't need that much speed, what you need is thrust and handling.

eLhabib
19th May 2005, 02:26 PM
since I always use my beloved assegai, that doesn't really matter to me...

Purist
19th May 2005, 04:36 PM
eLhabib I salute you sir... your a better man than me... still can't do the lil bugger! after a break tonight (go see R.O.T.Sith) I'm gonna crack these!

Sven
19th May 2005, 09:24 PM
Got 154 earlier today. The TTs honestly weren't that hard. Only used the Zone ship for Phantom.

eLhabib
19th May 2005, 09:31 PM
Purist, seeing as you have the gamma2 download already, how's sebenco peak? are the time trials as hard as staten park? and how does the vanuber perform?

Purist
19th May 2005, 10:36 PM
Hey, sorry bout late reply, just got back from sith (which gets a generous 4/10 by the way!) vanuber is a VERY cool looking ship with VERY good handling, it feels/looks a little like a pod racer from SW: Ep1!

Havn't really spent enough time on Peak to comment properly, from what I've played though, again the TT's seem tight. I dunno, maybe I'm just losing the edge or summit! :cry:

Architect
28th May 2005, 03:56 PM
I got all 154 medals a mere couple hours after the update was released. Consider yourselves all pspwned. :wink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/HectorGearLive/PSP/WipeoutPureHighScore.jpg

Lance
28th May 2005, 09:27 PM
Architect, please read the guidelines for posting images [and all other guidelines, too, of course. ;) ] this image is just barely over the guideline limit for direct image posting, so i have let it stand.

and before i forget: welcome to the forums. [in Yoda voice]: a Matrix fan you are?

Lion
28th May 2005, 09:52 PM
I've never completed any of the earlier wipeouts, in fact until a couple of months ago I had never even tried driving phantom in 2097 (still haven't in 3)
so I'm starting to struggle now in pure.. the more I play the better I get, and it's very visible to me, which is super satisfying. but for pilots like me who were casual about the earlier wipeouts (despite numbering themselves among the fans for any number of other reasons) Pure starts getting pretty tricky as you approach 90 golds. I'm on 86 at the moment and there are some tracks I simply cannot beat yet in flash (citta nuova single race and a few time trials)

just thought I'd share where the game starts getting hard for the not so elite out here. I have a few golds in rapier already and I think it will only take a couple of runs per track to get to where I have most of the golds. I'm not getting frustrated with the game yet despite it being a fairly steep climb in front of me. I won't be satisfied till I have all the concept art!

this post has started rambling but my core point is that pure is a pretty good balance really, and the way it's built works well for extending new pilots

Space Cowboy
29th May 2005, 12:03 AM
citta nuova aaarrrggghhh!!!!

Quite possibly the worst WO track ever! (yes even more worse than Stanza Inter!)

I just make sure I score highly in the tournement, then I just crash out on CN because I cant be arsed with it lol :) With the points I gain from previous races I dont have to beat it :)

infoxicated
29th May 2005, 12:09 AM
Same here. Clarko knows - he's the man responsible for it!

In his defence it actually played quite well on the emulator, but when the PSP dev kits arrived the artists had to do a lot of poly reduction and it just made the chicane section too harsh. They didn't have time to sort it properly and, well, the result is the Citta Nuova you see today... not a pleasant experience.

Clarko's tracks for the download packs will kick ass, though, mark my words - his vision with CN was wrecked, but I'm sure his future efforts wont be in vain. :)

Dogg Thang
29th May 2005, 02:04 PM
See I don't think that Citta Nouva is a problem track-wise. I love playing it on time trial. It's one of the most interesting tracks in the game. And I'm sure nobody had a problem getting gold in time trials on CN.

What my problem is with it is what happens to the AI on that track - all out war breaks out. It still strikes me as odd how the different tracks cause different reactions in the AI.

But, as a track, I like it! I just don't like having to race the AI on it...

Hellfire_WZ
29th May 2005, 02:13 PM
Very true. I've lost tournaments through a conveniently placed rocket in those chicanes. Cruising along in first, get hit by a rocket, slam into the wall and start drifting back up the track. By the time I get going again, I've dropped three or four places. Yet technically it is one of my favourite tracks, especially with the hairpin. Love that turn. :)

yawnstretch
29th May 2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah - Im just fresh from a race on CN and the style of that track is fantastic - those bridges and buildings are a new vision for wipeout imo.

Yeah the chicane is a bit tough but I'm sure we'll grow to handle it well over time.

Definitely looking forward to the new tracks- the wipeout pure experience is revolutionary in terms of modern gaming.

Mobius
29th May 2005, 03:47 PM
Can't wait to play citta nuova when i get it in september now :)

eLhabib
29th May 2005, 05:10 PM
I think the phenomenon of war breaking loose with AI ships on certain tracks is caused by the fact that they clump together more on a tricky section. Since the AI has trouble or is even unable to adjust pitch (as you can see with the AP), they tend to slow down a lot on tricky bits of track, like the chicanes on citta or the tunnel on modesto or the first couple of turns on sebenco climb. The slowing down leads to a field that is closer together, so if you have to fly through it, there is a bigger potential of weapons being fired at you.
It will only be apparent in the higher classes though, as there really is no need for pitch control in vector and venom.

Space Cowboy
29th May 2005, 06:23 PM
Cant wait to see Clarko's new tracks for DL! :)
Big shame about the poly reduction, that would sting me no end if I was a designer :(

Lion
30th May 2005, 12:07 AM
It will only be apparent in the higher classes though, as there really is no need for pitch control in vector and venom.that's why I'm finding it tricky now... I've managed to get through all but the citta nuova single race in flash without really using pitch control

eLhabib
30th May 2005, 09:02 AM
you better get used to adjusting your pitch while racing. otherwise Phantom will kill ya!

Lion
30th May 2005, 10:51 AM
rapier is forcing me to use it already. have a couple golds but it's slow going now