PDA

View Full Version : PSP connection to PS3

Lance
17th May 2005, 01:29 AM
from IGN: ''SCE announced that the PlayStation 3 would have support for USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and online networking. Those first two are the biggest concerns for PSP owners, as Sony officially confirmed that the Wi-Fi configuration of the PS3 would allow the PSP to wirelessly connect with the home console. No wires, no connectors, no muss, no fuss. Of course, the PSP also has outlets for the USB 2.0, which might allow for corded connections as well as wireless, if necessary.''

''PSP won't just be used for wireless file transfers -- according to the official specs for the system, the PSP can be used as a controller for the console. Whether PSP will be used as a PS3 controller much is up to developers -- the GBA and GameCube got along great together, and the PSP obviously has a lot more capable hardware to do interesting things than that duo. Whether PS3 developers enjoy that gimmick of a system with a full-color screen or else decide to stick to the more complicated PS3 controller configuration is a matter we will find out in time.''

Chill
17th May 2005, 03:30 AM
That all sounds awesome!! 8) Now I'm really happy. To play Wipeout Pure on TV in the future, and then go against people online!! It'd be interesting to play Wipeout for the PS3 at home, and on the PSP on the run. I have no regrets about the way everything looks now.
I certainly hope that the complicated style of the control is changed back to dual (and neggy) controls. That thing just doesn't seem like it'd fit with the natural feel and shape of the hand. :roll:

Sausehuhn
17th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Hm... sounds good. But that also confirms indirectly, that the PS3 definitely won't have an UMD drive. Or does it not?
I mean why connecting the PSP to the PS3 if the PS3 would have a UMD drive, because then you could easyly use the UMD drive and you wouldn't need the PSP. You know?

Lion
17th May 2005, 02:40 PM
could make for an interesting gaming experience using the "game sharing" function in the PSP

Purist
17th May 2005, 05:59 PM
:D http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614619p1.html :D
:D http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3635 :D

Sausehuhn
17th May 2005, 06:08 PM
What did I say?! Hm?!?! :D

I knew it already!! This was 100% clear before anyone confirmed that! :)

Dogg Thang
17th May 2005, 06:13 PM
I have no problem with this news but, given the underwhelming history of the GBA/GC connectivity, it doesn't in any way excite me.

Lance
17th May 2005, 06:25 PM
at this point it is still not clear to me that Pure could be played on the PSP and displayed through the PS3 to a television. can it?

Dogg Thang
17th May 2005, 06:35 PM
Well not from the information I have seen so far but you never know. I would have doubts about the output going over WiFi certainly but it's possible that a sort of PSP Player thing will be an add-on at some stage.

Sausehuhn
17th May 2005, 06:39 PM
If (man, I hate these ifs) the PSP can send signals to the PS3 with the WiFI, Bluetooth or what ever, we maybe could take another (maybe self made) connector that can take the signals and transfers them to a screen without the PS3.
8O

defor
17th May 2005, 07:49 PM
_IF_ Sony decides to support playing of psp games through the PS3, I'd personally expect them to support the PSP as a drive to load the games from, wether they choose wireless or usb, and then use the PS3's processor and GPU to play the game. Wireless video transmission is buggy at best, and definitely not fast enough to guarantee 29.97 fps in games like wipeout which were (from my understanding) actually programmed to hit a target framerate of 60fps.

The only problem with this concept is that this would leave a potential loophole for users to exploit- wireless game loading of psp roms from a pc, or similar.

I don't completely discount it, but i do doubt the reality of it, not to mention HUD graphics from any psp game would look hideous upscaled to a tv, and while i'd love it all the same, i can't see a company like sony doing it without using a modern gpu and display system such as the one in the PS3 to make it look better, but then anything 2d would bring the quality down again...

hard to say, just my interpretation
(haven't been playing much, mainly working on a tool to extract the contents of the pure data.wad- finished extraction of the 8 psmf movie files, moving onto atac3 files now...my brain hurts...)

Sven
17th May 2005, 08:52 PM
at this point it is still not clear to me that Pure could be played on the PSP and displayed through the PS3 to a television. can it?
Probably not. Such a feature would almost certainly require special software inside the PSP game.

Personally, I think the PSP's control scheme is inadequate for more complex games, and don't see the appeal of using it as a controller. Maybe the screen would serve some purpose, but I'd rather have everything in the same place anyway.

yawnstretch
18th May 2005, 12:05 PM
I knew the PSP would be a controller for PS3.

-Check it!

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1837&highlight=ps3+psp