PDA

View Full Version : Time with Negcon

Tokai
13th May 2005, 11:03 PM
Hi guys!
recently I've bought a negcon and I started playing again WO2097...Well...I've to admit that it's fantastic! I've improved my time really a lot (even if I'm still far from the top of the chart).

However I've noticed that It's better to use it in easy tracks...maybe I've wrong...I need to pratice more but I still find d-pad better for more complex tracks.
And now it's clearer the importance of moving ship up and down to increase speed...

Today I've tried also WO3....but this game is a bit different from 2097 so my records are still there: i've not improved nothing....
and as i notice, my "old" times made with d-pad are not so far from times of people using negcon :)

before closing...I wish to congratulate with Uncle Zeiv that got a fantastic PSP with WOP last week!! :D

lunar
13th May 2005, 11:22 PM
congrats on getting your negcon. I know what you mean about the hard tracks seeming better with d-pad, but if you give it time I think you`ll see that the hard tracks are more flowing than you thought before, and don`t need as many sharp turns as you thought. Also remember to set your max lock really low - about 5 or 6 at the most. I use 3 on Phantom and Rapier, and Arnaud uses 0 on some tracks...... 8O Obviously he knows what he`s doing though. :wink:

I don`t think the negcon makes quite as big a difference on wipeout 3, though it does have almost all the top times obviously. :D

Tokai
14th May 2005, 08:51 AM
Max lock?well...actually I've set it to 45 8O so I think could be better to decrese a bit :wink:
if Arnaud set it to zero it means that he turns with air breaks.
I still don't use them...expecially on the Talon's Reach....but I've noticed that if i will learn to use them at phantom speed it would be better. Only one time I succeded to make a right turn at highest speed using breaks before the tunnel...so I've always prefered to avoid breaks.

Now that I'm playing so much to 2097, I've lost my ability with WO3....but I'll be on it soon.
Also my friend Uncle Zeiv has a negcon now and he loves to play WO3 SE so if I wish to play together with him...
He's a good wiper but he have never posted a time... :(

Sausehuhn
14th May 2005, 09:08 AM
Welcome back Tokai! :)

Tokai
14th May 2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks! I've never been really away....But it's thanks to Uncle Zeiv if I'll write again on forum.
When PSP and WOP become available I got so excited that our coverstions were very often on WO :) so I've decided to play again 2097 and WO3....after finding a negcon on Ebay! :wink:

Dimension
14th May 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm finding the exact same thing with my neggy, it's really good for the easy tracks (Eg. W3O MM,) but not so hot for certain tougher, tighter tracks (Eg. W3O HF.) I've personally yet to beat any of the times that i've spent an age practising other than ones i've changed to icaras for and that's to be expected really :roll: Anyway, welcome/welcome back to the zone, the more the merrier :)

Lance
14th May 2005, 03:21 PM
setting the max lock to 0 does not eliminate the effect of twisting though it does reduce the sensitivity to twist considerably.

i find that the neg works better for me no matter what the difficulty of the track. i beat my old D-pad times on every track. even now i can't switch back to D-pad and even equal my negCon times, not even if i sit there and try over and over for an hour

lunar
15th May 2005, 12:18 AM
Only one time I succeded to make a right turn at highest speed using breaks before the tunnel...so I've always prefered to avoid breaks.

Because of the brake boosting effect on 2097 its actually faster to use the brakes than not in some cases....but only if you brake on the speed pads, and at the same time you hit pitch up aswell to make the effect really work. So I think this can only be done with a negcon. Try a brake-right and pitch up move on the double speed pads before the tunnel at TR - it gives you a huge speed boost. Just be careful not to pitch up too far beyond the speed pad. Of course then you`ve got to learn to cope with the speed which is another thing. 8O You still have to steer of course, but steering really slows the ship down - if you can do your steering by brake boosting on the speed up pads its all a lot faster. I think this works anyway, even if its not exactly what Arnaud does.

I tried using 0 max lock but my reflexes aren`t good enough for that.

I have a theory that speed pads in 2097 cause the nose of the ship to dip - and the ship to therefore lose speed. This means you should correctively pitch up on all speed pads, unless there`s a stronger reason not to do so in some cases.

Lance - I`m like you in that I`m so much better with a negcon on all versions of the game. I`d never get anywhere near a competitive time without it.

Tokai
16th May 2005, 07:56 AM
I've got a video of 5 perfect lap on TR...I think you all have seen it (it was Uncle Zeiv that gave it to me).
I don't know who's driving there but I took a look to speed in all laps.
Well...ship never reaches 400 km/h....but every lap there's a better time. The best one is 14.9 s...
I've tried today phantom speed at TR and I've noticed that I'm aften up 400km/h....but I wasn't able to arrive to 15 sec on a lap...My best time was 16.6 s (that's also my new record).

I think the problem now are lines and not speed....even if it seems i drive quiet well :) with lines closer to that made in the video.

About breaks: probabily they increase "frame rate" more than speed! I mean...actually I can't see a speed up....but I'll try as Lunar said...I'm not sure...even if I think speed will remain the same...but the ship will be pushed a lot...(a kind of bug? :) )

lunar
16th May 2005, 08:49 AM
I think that video is Mano, playing wipeout XL where the speed counter gives lower readings. You`re probably playing wipeout 2097 where the speed reading goes up closer to 500kph, although its not actually faster, due to the framerate. The brake trick really works on 2097, and you can see your speed is faster when you do it compared to when you don`t. It only works properly for me when my speed is up towards 350 or more, and yes of course you still need a good line :D I have a video of Arnaud on TR, but its about 8mb so it might be too big to email to you. If you want it let me have an email address to try to send it to.

Tokai
16th May 2005, 11:55 AM
I'll try to use breaks as you said...
I tought that video was of XL...Yes...I use WO2097 .I'll give you an email address where to send arnaud video when I'll have enough space...I've to clean up a bit my mail box ;) Thanks however...

Tullinge
16th May 2005, 03:42 PM
Hi.
I´m just trying to improve my times in TR / 2097 and was nearly frustrated when I saw the records table for Time Trial in Rapier and Arnauds top lap time being 2.5 seconds better than what I am able to reach... Now I read about using the breaks on the speed tabs and will try it right now!
I am still impressed, how you guys can tell exactly what things to do to improve your speed and what is a nono, as I do not really feel when the ship slows down just a little bit and to glimpse at the speed causes me to crash into the next wall. Do you tape-record your flights and analyze it afterwards?

lunar
16th May 2005, 04:03 PM
I don`t think anyone tapes their flights for that reason. I`d advise you to fly a lot of Phantom class on TR - it makes Rapier easy by comparison, so you can learn to look at the speed counter without crashing on Rapier, and find a really good line. Just practice a lot.... and test things out to see what gets you the highest speeds. And watch Arnaud`s video to get a clue to how he maintains such massive speeds for a whole lap. Unfortunately I now know that seeing it done doesn`t mean you can do it so fast yourself. :wink: Obviously he is the one who should tell you how what the best techniques are, so its worth searching back in the 2097 forum, particularly the threads he started.

Lance
16th May 2005, 05:16 PM
''Unfortunately I now know that seeing it done doesn`t mean you can do it so fast yourself.''
this is so very true. alas and alack. :cry:

i also find that i can not watch the speedometer with any consistency. it just takes too much of my limited attention away from the actual controlling of the ship. i've got to be watching the walls and checking the corners up ahead of the ship or pfftbouncebonk... fooey

Tokai
16th May 2005, 09:50 PM
the "nice" thing about watching player's video and take a look to the chart is to see that you can improve and improve and improve.

When I didn't know about this web site i tought that it could not be possible to decrese my times.I've really played a lot WO2097 and WO3 in the past and I wasn't able to do better.
When I've seen those charts....i've "discovered" that I could really do better...and my times now are far better than before...So it was a push to improve...

Watching videos is also an occasion to find a good line...but it's up to you do better ;)
I'm still trying to go under 16 sec on a lap on TR...I wasn't able to do..but I improved Race Time trying to reach this goal :)

Uhmm....i've to try also other tracks...uhmmmm :)

Zero [RG] [HG]
17th May 2005, 07:11 PM
...My best time was 16.6...

*Tries to speak in idiot's language* Geaaaaawd joob...