PDA

View Full Version : Quick Start?

Bablos
9th February 2002, 08:16 AM
First post time - hello to everyone!

Has anyone figured out how to achieve a fast start like in previous Wipeout versions? In WO3 you just needed to keep your initial revs at a certain point, and you could fly off the starting grid, but I can't suss if this is possible with Fusion.

Tim
9th February 2002, 08:37 AM
Hi Bablos, press the acceleration button right after the announcer said "Go!". Or, if your reaction is as bad as mine, press the button when the annoucer says "Go!" :smile:

Essell
9th February 2002, 12:29 PM
well that sorta thing only works with one or two ships, and maybe even one or two speeds surely? seeing as acceleration varies?

infoxicated
9th February 2002, 12:41 PM
It works with every ship, but if you even breathe on the accelerator before the constipated dude says "GO!" then you wont be able to turbo start.

It's quite good actually, in that the AI ships are a bit hit and miss with it too. They don't get it every time, so you can plough into the one in front if he makes a bad start. This makes for much weaving off of the grid. :smile:

Bablos
9th February 2002, 12:44 PM
Nice one!

Works a treat, but most of the time I end up ramming into the ship in front of me!

Currently wrestling my way around Cubiss Float Course 2 - evil little track. Something tells me they're gonna get harder. Time to go back to the Feisar until I get my head around the track...

BenjaminSoulé
9th February 2002, 03:29 PM
I think there's a bug on start sequence (maybe french version only ?)
I see the yellow and with a "0" near it, the i wait... and wait... and "GO" !!
No 3, 2, 1 no voices just a long silence and "go".

is it the same for you ?

Bablos
9th February 2002, 03:53 PM
Nope, no countdown - I assume there isn't one - you just get 'Ready... GO!' and have to use your quick responses in order to get a quick start.

BenjaminSoulé
9th February 2002, 04:40 PM
you'll proably say i'm paranoiac but it sounds like bug.
I saw this hand with one two and three finger down... but i cant retrieve it.

Maybe I just imagined it...:???:

Anyway, if this coutdown is the right one, it's very ugly.

Wamdue
9th February 2002, 05:03 PM
ugly but good. it seems as if the time elapsed between "ready" and "go" is a bit randomized, thus, you will pay more attention to the start, i wouldnt have to look at the screen in wo3 to get a turbo start.. and you ram other ships when getting turbo start, just simply tilt the ship a bit closer to the middle.

infoxicated
10th February 2002, 12:13 PM
The three, two, one countdown with the hands and the streaming arrows that you might have seen on early footage of the game were dropped because they were running short on texture memory.

Cant blame the developers for that one - blame the price of memory when the PS2 was being specced about 4 years ago! Having only 32meg to play with in total and only 4megs of texture memory means that sacrifices have to be made.

The decision to drop the fancy starting graphics was due to the fact they were simply garnishing and having them in there would mean less detail on other parts of the track - i.e. waterfalls in Alca Vexus, for instance.

Hope that helps :smile:

BenjaminSoulé
10th February 2002, 12:24 PM
ok I understand the memory problem. I'm fond of 2D fighting game so I ve already been confronted to this question when I was asking to myself why the neogeo 2d fighting game was still the best.
however, the start sequence look weird... Why not using 3 2 1 sound only ?

vincoof
12th February 2002, 09:45 PM
Because if the countdown "321" was pronounced, you wouldn't get the surprise of "Go!".
Actually, the turbo start deals with your patience. "321" would break this effect.

infoxicated
13th February 2002, 08:56 AM
I actually really dig the new countdown. Me and my girlfriend try to make each other screw it up by saying "GO!" suddenly before the constipated dude does! :lol:

All it takes is an itchy accelerator finger!

Hyper Shadow
13th February 2002, 09:44 AM
The best thing to do when getting a quick start is to manouver yourself to the right a bit, as the (usually) G-Tech will move to the left. If you can do this properly you can get anywhere between 6th (with an initial ship) and 1st (Fully upgraded ship)

UncleZeiv
13th February 2002, 11:44 AM
Anyway I think this new quick start is simpler to achieve than it was in wip3out... It is very rare to fail it, while it wasn't so rare for me in wip3out... :roll:

As Heaven Is Wide
13th February 2002, 12:03 PM
It may be easier to get a turbos start on it but i love the tension it creates.