PDA

View Full Version : Euro Release

kaiotheforsaken
26th April 2005, 02:51 AM
hey guys just saw this page on ign thought i'd post in for all the fans who are still awaiting their native countries release. enjoy...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/607/607503p1.html

Concept
26th April 2005, 05:39 AM
249 Euros?

Completely justifies going import at least. Cheaper price, months earlier.

On a side note, Eurogamer have reviewed the US version of Wipeout Pure. Link:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58756

Dogg Thang
26th April 2005, 06:16 AM
Agreed, Concept. It's very expensive, and still quite a wait. September is a long time away. Glad I imported.

To be honest I reckon it's a bit of a mess. I'm sure only a very small percentage of us imported but that percentage were the guaranteed early adopters. The six month delay and hefty price tag will spur even more early adopters to import. They are going to be missing quite an important section of their market when they launch I reckon.

Hellfire_WZ
26th April 2005, 08:38 AM
Typical, I order one off of Lik-Sang and they announce the bloody Euro release the next day... :brickwall

Still, I agree the price is pretty inflated, even if it is the value pack. I only picked up the standard pack, but including Wipeout Pure, a 256MB memory stick, a case and a data cable, it didn't come to much more than that.

Concept
26th April 2005, 08:46 AM
Just to put it into comparison...

The PSP Value pack is to be retailing over here for £180. Four months from now.

Roughly a month ago I ordered a US PSP Value pack for £160 (+ shipping) from VG+, (when they were being sold for a little under $350 CAD).

The real value of the PSP Value pack is £130 in the US and Japan. The UK will be paying £50 more for the same privledge, and months later to boot.

Fair that.

It also bodes well for the European launch of the PS3...

Dogg Thang
26th April 2005, 08:56 AM
Hellfire you should also rest assured that the 'value pack' is far from that. You were better off getting the bare bones PSP. Out of my value pack there is not one thing that I haven't replaced yet. The earphones aren't great, the case is open to dust and the memory stick is only 32MB. The only thing from the value pack that I use it the wrist strap.

You'll have done better with what you ordered.

Concept
26th April 2005, 08:58 AM
I'm stil waiting for my 512MB card that Lik-Sang supposedly sent out over three weeks ago...

I agree that the 32MB card with the Value pack is useless for anything but game saves, and as Wipeout Pure shows with its downloads, ineffectual for the potential amount that may have to be stored on it for one single game.

Hellfire_WZ
26th April 2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah, that was pretty much the reason I went with the standard. I had my eyes on the Aero case from the start, I've already got headphones, and I knew I'd need a bigger memory stick.

I've actually already got the memory stick, picked it up yesterday. Didn't get a bad deal on it actually. It retailed for £42, and I somehow managed to walk out with it for £35. :)

Rapier Racer
26th April 2005, 09:45 AM
September eh don't know if I can wait that long kinda wanted it for July, 249 euros, so thats about £170, I expected it too cost more

eLhabib
26th April 2005, 10:08 AM
September, HA, I knew it! So glad I imported! 8)

Sorry for all the guys who still thought it would be May or June... :(

I wonder what that will mean for the downloadable content of purE? They won't wait till September, will they?

Dogg Thang
26th April 2005, 10:13 AM
I hope not.

I'm very close to ordering the JP one. The idea that there are updates out there and I can't get them kills me!

eLhabib
26th April 2005, 10:22 AM
well I'm sure they will change there plans concerning the DLs now. They were also expecting a June release.

Concept
26th April 2005, 11:18 AM
I believe the various regional brances of SCE will have been in touch regarding the European release before the announcement, and probably know clear as day when they're going to release each download pack for each region.

You'd think so.

Sven
26th April 2005, 06:46 PM
Wow, that's about $320 american, just to put it in perpective for US folk...That is pretty rediculous...and 6 months later too! You fellas got the short end of the stick, for sure! I would import it if I was in Europe...not like I watch any UMD movies on it anyway, so the region coding on those is irrelevant.

In any case, they'd better not wait until September to give U.S. people the downloads, that would irritate me to no end. (I don't even wanna hear you Europeans complain about that, because I'm still waiting for Wipeout 3 SE...).

Mobius
26th April 2005, 06:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007TFLLC/qid=1114541403/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6433607-2119211?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Here is a good place to get the psp from america - it avoids import tax too (it is under £145) It is the cheapest i have seen it anywhere...very tempting... :)

Oh and they ship to europe too

Edit: 25 quid for shipping...? oops, off to lik-sang...

Sausehuhn
27th April 2005, 06:51 AM
September?!
lol, we're playig with a one year old* console then :dizzy
We had to wait such a long time and the only thing we get is a high price and no new features?!
I would still import, but that is too expensive, the german taxes and the shipping are too high.
Maybe I should wait one year more and buy the PS3 with a new WipEout... :roll:

* okay, not exactly a one year

Purist
27th April 2005, 07:12 AM
Does anyone now REALLY need a reason to import a JAP or US psp?

Spiral Motion
27th April 2005, 02:34 PM
I just got my psp the other day from ebay.

I paid £207 in total for a psp standard pack, wipEout pure and a 32mb memory stick.

The seller was from Devon so there was no import tax and it was quick delivery.

I have to say that the psp itself is amazing and I had very high expectations. If you are thinking about importing and can find a good deal I would go for it.

zargz
27th April 2005, 04:51 PM
Holy F@k£n sh*t! 207.00 GBP=2,784.80 SEK that's a LOT!!! 8O
My !"#¤%& guitar cost me 3000 SEK!!! (swedish money)

Dogg Thang
27th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Can you play Wipeout on your guitar?

Dimension
27th April 2005, 05:18 PM
Actually, Zargz does a pretty mean Xpander ;)

Oh and i'm gutted about that, I'm not waiting until september, i'm sure that soon enough there'll be enough US PSPs in this country up for sale so i doubt even importing will be absolutely necessary. Region killer of a strategy that :?

Lance
27th April 2005, 05:48 PM
zargz, is SEK SvEnska Kroner, Sverige Kroner, SomEthing Kroner, or Something somEthing Ksomething? ;) or what?

can you play xpander on a guitar?
i can't play anything on a guitar. other than tic tac toe. sigh

Mobius
27th April 2005, 06:22 PM
Xpander ona guitar.

Zargs plz post the tab somwhere (or email it to me :))

Back on subject, my mate just sold a us psp and pure - i saw the case and had to be restrained 8O he sold it for £260. I almost feel sorry for the mug who coffed that much up. :P

I still can't decide if i'm gonna wait or import.

JABBERJAW
27th April 2005, 07:02 PM
mobius, I'll sell you mine for 250$, it is new, but turned on to make sure it works. I can find out the shipping price, and I'm sure it will be under 20$

Mobius
27th April 2005, 07:22 PM
I would really like to, but unfotunately i'm not allowed to buy it as it isn't from "trustable source" (Parents, honestly)

Sorry about that, please don't take it personally.

Hellfire_WZ
27th April 2005, 07:55 PM
Shame you put the offer up a day too late Al, I'd have snapped it up.

Mobius: You think that's bad, I've seen lone standard packs being sold on eBay for nearly £270 including the mandatory sky-high p&p. They were in the UK though, so no chance of getting stung with import tax, but even so... Spending that much is just desperation.

kaiotheforsaken
27th April 2005, 08:51 PM
gee guys sorry to be the barer of bad news but i guess it helps since now everyone can decide if they wish to get it somewhere else.

Axel
27th April 2005, 09:10 PM
This is terrible, Sony has really messed up here. September!!! Well I'm sure the euro release of wipeout pure will surely have extras, maybe all the downloadable contents?

Egg
27th April 2005, 09:58 PM
If it helps some, we're a little disappointed too. An earlier hardware launch would help Pure attain the kind of critical impact it had in the US. Now, of course, given the extra time, there'll be more Euro launch games . . .

Concept
27th April 2005, 10:05 PM
The problem Sony face is twofold due to the timing of the PSP's launch in Europe.

1) the DS is going to be significantly cheaper (expect another small cut by Nintendo) on the eve of the PSP's release, and Johnny's parents who've shelled out for a next generation handheld already this year may not be keen on doing so again. That'll only harm one portion of the PSP's potential audience share however. You can be sure as hell Nintendo won't miss the opportunity to highlight the price differences between the PSP in Europe and the US, or in comparison to the DS come the system's launch.

2) The Xbox 360 is just around the corner, and although they're different format types, people may not be inclined to pick up a PSP when they can wait a little longer to buy the first next generation console just a couple of months away. Expect Microsoft to capitalise on that.

These are just two pitfalls the PSP can expect here, and it wouldn't surprise me if the system gets off to a solid, yet unspectacular start as it did in the US.

Axel
28th April 2005, 12:15 AM
Hmmmm Concept you have a point there. This truly is bad timing, knowing microsoft, they are going to advertise the hell outta of their next gen system. But it all depends if they will release in europe at the same time as the rest of the world. The PSP may do well in September, but coming to xmas, may suffer cause of the DS and Xbox. Ah well, I'm gonna wait for a PS3, I'm gonna have to pass on a PSP till it becomes cheap.

zargz
28th April 2005, 08:59 AM
yeh! cheap is the keyword here ..
atm I'm faced with the hard choice between a psp or 4-5 weeks on a paradise island (kinda where the Beach was shot) :roll:
I mean 3000sek will be enough to pay my stay there, not a ticket there! ;)

eLhabib
28th April 2005, 11:52 AM
I would definitely go for the island! pick up a PSP anytime later, it won't run away.

zargz
28th April 2005, 11:58 AM
Exactly what I was thinking!
ofcource I will take my psx and wo3se there
so no time for relaxing for stin, g'kyl & co. 8)

*Edit: oh! and my dexDrive as well!

mid
28th April 2005, 04:08 PM
I can't see the XBox 360 launching for much more than $300 in the US, simply because that's how much launch consoles are. It hits US shores around October.

PSP or XBox 360 on import for around the same price, if I happen to be in the US around then? Sony Europe don't stand a chance of getting my money, frankly.

Mobius
28th April 2005, 04:12 PM
The xbox 360 isn't region free though. You will have to import ALL your games then.

lunar
28th April 2005, 11:53 PM
I`m not bothered about the new x-box or ps3. I just love my psp. Honestly the thing is an absolute wonder. Playing games on TVs is just so last week. :wink:

When wipeout for PS3 is announced this will change of course.

Zargz, you have to find a way to get both. :wink: If not go for the holiday and 3SE domination while everyone else is distracted by Pure.