PDA

View Full Version : N-GEN

Stalker
22nd March 2002, 02:11 PM
Hi all! Am I the only one here who played the wonderful N-GEN Racing? Dammit, I love that game. Hasn´t been that much PSX-gaming since that black box entered my apartment a year ago though. *sigh* :smile:

Lance
22nd March 2002, 06:32 PM
yes, this is one of my favourite games. i even like the fact that the background polygons look large when you see the ground and water from directly above or nearly so. it looks like living art in motion. look at the credits for that game and see who you find there.

[Nick, thanks to you and the rest of the team. i love that game. it's only flaw for me is the long loading times. possibly that's due to the huge environments. nifty memory card screen, btw.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-03-22 19:35 ]</font>

Nick Burcombe
25th March 2002, 09:35 AM
Glad you both liked it. We were looking at it again the other day on the office PS2 and despite the publisher not getting behind it as much as we'd have liked, we're all very proud of it. :)
Not bad for a first stab. ;)

Nick B

Stalker
25th March 2002, 01:30 PM
Guess that means there´s no sequel in sight, huh? :wink:
Majic 12 rules.
// S

Lance
25th March 2002, 05:44 PM
~
Nick, i'm surprised this game doesn't get mentioned more by the videogame racefans. even though it came out fairly late in the PSX development cycle when hype for the ps2 was already in gear. possibly the gamers were saving their money to buy the new machine instead of the games.

i mentioned that the game looked like art, a painting in motion. that actually makes it look and feel better to me than a photorealistic game would. it creates an enhanced reality that no perfect simulation of the real world could. even in a game like Flag to Flag on the Dreamcast, the look is close enough to realism that it's too monochromatic and dull, too much concrete just like in real life on those CART circuits. what i want from a videogame is something better than reality.
^

Nick Burcombe
25th March 2002, 05:50 PM
Without gettin' too far up our own &rses, we describe that "look" as kinda "hyper-real". It's something the artist team just do naturally. Everything is sort of real and recognisable, but a bit more vivid and beautiful. The same kind of look is apparent in Quantum Redshift. You'd need to see more shots of it to get what I'm on about really :)

Glad you liked NGen anyway.

Nick