PDA

View Full Version : Zone Mode - Why is the camera so different?

Dogg Thang
21st April 2005, 08:19 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this - the camera in Zone Mode seems to work quite differently to the camera in the other modes. It is closer for a start but, more than that, it seems rooted more to the ship. Am I right about that?

I'm curious - anyone have any guesses as to why a different camera would be used in Zone?

Purist
22nd April 2005, 12:11 AM
PRESS SELECT!!! 8)

Dogg Thang
22nd April 2005, 06:06 AM
Heh, I know I can change the view with select! The behaviour of the camera is still different. Compare them yourself and see what you think,

Hellfire_WZ
22nd April 2005, 07:50 AM
Tighter, do you mean? I've only seen the IGN video of Zone mode and I think I know what you mean. The camera doesn't seem as loose as a normal race.

eLhabib
22nd April 2005, 09:59 AM
I have noticed this, too. The camera seems to be more fixed in zone mode. I'm sure this is on purpose, because in zone mode you can get on speeds way faster than in the other modes, so it probably caused some problems with a looser camera, clipping through walls on tight corners or whatever.

rejj
24th April 2005, 03:00 PM
I dunno how you guys can even use chase-cam :p
I haven't noticed any difference in the cockpit camera in zone mode... :)

eLhabib
24th April 2005, 03:05 PM
I know the real pros fly on cockpit view, but I adore the ships so much that I stick to chase-cam where I can see them :D

Lance
24th April 2005, 03:09 PM
i think Al and Mano use external view, though Arnaud uses internal

eLhabib
24th April 2005, 03:13 PM
anyone use the far chase-cam on purE? I wouldn't think so...

infoxicated
24th April 2005, 05:34 PM
I do.

Or at least I've been using it since I've been using Auricom, as the far chase cam makes the ship appear narrower and it's easier for me to judge the turn in. Don't know why, I imagine it's more an optical illusion than anything. :)

Purist
24th April 2005, 09:22 PM
I couldn't use anything else BUT the chase cam, close or far, how folk use the internal cam is beyond me :?

Sven
25th April 2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah, the chase cam is more stable and gives you a view of what's around you. I've been using it since Wipeout 1, and can't change now.

yawnstretch
25th April 2005, 09:41 PM
yeah I've used chase cam since the beginning - mostly because of the distortion you seemed to get in the early games when the entire screen rotates.

Pure doesnt have that problem but I still mostly use chase. I find myself using internal-view for the slower classes though. In my opinion it's harder to play internally and I used to respect my older brother's decision to use it in spite of his inferior piloting.

I wonder if he's reading this :twisted:
Hurry up and buy your PSP maggot!

Chill
26th April 2005, 01:31 AM
The only thing I use is the internal view. It makes me feel closer to the game, and as if I were really a pilot. :wink: It also gives me more of a rush, it was a need in fusion. Otherwise I would of broke it out of hate. :)

djlucite
26th April 2005, 04:57 AM
If they had kept cockpit view in Pure I would've used it. That was pretty cool. They shoulda done a virtual cockpit, with the tach/speedometer built into the dash or something.

Lion
26th April 2005, 02:27 PM
I get motion sick using "bumpercam" in the w'o" games. have to use chasecam, but all other driving games I prefer to either use bumpercam or have only the bonnet in front of me

Egg
27th April 2005, 10:22 PM
If they had kept cockpit view in Pure I would've used it. That was pretty cool. They shoulda done a virtual cockpit, with the tach/speedometer built into the dash or something.

Karl and I worked on the idea --- but time is the enemy with a launch game.

Concept
27th April 2005, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't that have decimated the frame rate in racing mode with the extra detail needed to sustain it?

Egg
27th April 2005, 10:38 PM
Mmm . . . polygon-wise, it wouldn't have been a bigger hit than the ship model itself. Remember, in WO3, you only saw the cockpit interior, not the "prongs" or the nose-cone.

However, large polygons which take up a lot of screenspace can be a ba-a-a-d thing.

djlucite
28th April 2005, 12:48 AM
The camera's totally different in pure than in the previous wipeouts as well...I kinda miss the oldschool chase cam. It allowed the ship to move around the screen a lot more than it does now...it seems fixed in the center position, and the camera's fixed to the ship, or something, whereas WOXL felt a lot more fluid and freeform. Example: When your ship gets closer to the left edge of the track, it also moves towards the left edge of your screen. It felt floatier than the Pure's camera.

Dogg Thang
28th April 2005, 06:17 AM
Yep you're right. Actually have you noticed that the camera is rooted to the tip of the nose of the craft? When you start to watch it, it's a little weird.

djlucite
28th April 2005, 02:02 PM
Pure is like bittersweet nostalgia!! :-P

Dogg Thang
28th April 2005, 02:36 PM
Bittersweet? Nah, just sweet! I actually think the camera in Pure works exceptionally well.

Actually it's funny the way you notice how things are working when you play for a long time. I remember going to a party once and seeing the word 'sonic' with an arrow written in permanent marker on the television. I asked what it was and someone turned on Sonic the Hedgehog for Megadrive. Sure enough, the arrow always pointed at Sonic!

djlucite
28th April 2005, 11:12 PM
LOL, that's great.

Rapier's giving me a hard time in Pure :-P...I'm by no means good, I'm not even going for golds right now. I'm just unlocking everything up to Rapier Ascension (i think that'll get you to Phantom Alpha) and then going back and mopping up the golds ^_^.

I agree with whoever said on these forums that the weapons are a B*tch at higher speed levels. It's pissing me off, the other day I was playing and I got hit with a quake, then a plasma bolt (at which point my ship exploded but the hunk of metal kept going), and then my hunk of flying metal on fire got hit with a ROCKET, then it flew into a bomb and blew up finally.

...and I thought they would play nice. Holy crap.

lunar
28th April 2005, 11:43 PM
the weapons are a bit excessive at times, but I love getting shot by that disruption bolt that makes everything ahead of you go into a kind wibbly wobbly distortion of perspective effect. I can`t describe it any better, but that messes with your head..... particularly while barrel rolling off a big jump. :dizzy It just occurred to me to try a barrel roll in zone mode..... I don`t know if its possible. I guess it would be kind of counter-productive though.

Sven
28th April 2005, 11:56 PM
It just occurred to me to try a barrel roll in zone mode..... I don`t know if its possible. I guess it would be kind of counter-productive though.You can, but only Syncopia gives you enough air to make it possible. It eats too much sheild to be worth it though, and it doesn't really give you any advantage anyway (though I don't know exactly how the scoring works...).

I just thought...does barrel rolling while using the nose-cam spin the camera around? That would be crazy...

eLhabib
29th April 2005, 12:25 AM
yes it does.

djlucite
29th April 2005, 04:54 AM
I absolutely hate the disruption bolt that reverses your steering.

It's great in multiplayer though. Hit my friend with one and got lucky and it reversed his controls and heard him cussing at me from the back of the bus, lol.

Chill
29th April 2005, 03:18 PM
Well, djlucite, how lucky you seem to have a friend that plays with you. :wink: By the looks of it, I'd say Wipeout is becoming more and more popular, with the downloadable content and web browser and high ratings and all. More people seem to be buying it, which make me really happy. :wink: :D

I do think their is reason why camera modes on Zone mode would be different, but I can only think that it'd make it easier. Zone mode would reach at such high speeds, that the camera may need to be more connected to the craft than let it drift forward at acceleration, and beckward for deceleration. In other words, I'm sure they have their reasons. :wink:

djlucite
29th April 2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah, i got about 3 ppl at school that play with me, and there's one I play over xlink (knew him in real life, an old friend.)
I'd say Pure is one of the more newbie friendly ones. I can easily be crusing along doing perfect laps at Rapier, then when my friend wants to play, he goes into Vector (is that the 2nd one? I forgot, lol.)
Usually a n00b feels that Venom is too slow, and I just jump them right into vector. It seems perfect for a learning curve.

There's still people that shy away. Most of my friends are like 'ew wtf wipeout is that a surfing game" or something but eh...they can go die. I have Ridge Racer so I can play against them (and still do a decent job at kicking their asses ;-)) when the time arises, but there's nothing like Wipeout.

Xlink is great if you wanna just play a round against a human instead of some elastic AI...makes for more realistic combat.

Usually when me and my friends play, we play with weapons off. It's more of a battle of skill rather than whoever gets the quake/plasma first, haha.

PS: OH MY GOD FLASH/BLUE RIDGE IS ANNOYING ME RIGHT NOW!!! it's so slow I suck at it!! lol

eLhabib
30th April 2005, 12:29 AM
I can easily be crusing along doing perfect laps at Rapier

perfect laps on rapier, EASILY?! sorry, but I don't believe you.
either your a natural or I just plain suck (and I'm quite good at this game I think), well head over to http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/ and prove it. I wanna see you pull perfect laps EASILY on citta nuova or manortop :P

djlucite
30th April 2005, 06:12 AM
I said easily crusing...not easily doing perfect laps. There's a difference. :D

...and only on Vineta K. lol. (I just hit phantom today. Been playing since last week, on and off.) I phrased that sentence wrong, sorry.

Citta Nuova's a killer. That map (and blue ridge) makes me mad. I need practice, practice, and more practice.

eLhabib
30th April 2005, 10:39 AM
fair enough. :wink:
heh I was just wondering if maybe we found a natural w'o'' talent here 8O

djlucite
30th April 2005, 03:32 PM
Man...I almost beat that chengou ghost. I got something like 0.33.79 or something. Stupid wall scraping, lol.

And I downloaded that phantom/vineta/qirex ghost, holy crap it has like 3 seconds on me! argh.

(And people have the nerve to complain the game is too slow...lol whenever one of my friends does that I let them play rapier/citta nuova. lmao)