PDA

View Full Version : Track details - are the billboards random?

Dogg Thang
21st April 2005, 07:58 PM
I was wondering why I had never noticed the Staten Park ad in Sinucit. It was right at the start on the right hand side. It was only when I reloaded the track that I noticed that the billboard had changed. I had noticed that before on Citta Nouva but didn't think much of it. Are there rare billboards at all? Ads for the other tracks?

While I'm on track details, it almost seems a shame to shoot by them at such high speeds. I love the look of that lake in Blue Ridge and the detail and colours in Vineta K really are stunning. If you haven't ambled around the tracks, you really should try it - the tracks are beautiful, every one of them.

Chill
21st April 2005, 08:44 PM
It's amazingly cool how much details effect you in Wipeout more than anything else, but stopping would only be boring. :lol: You want to stop to enjoy what's so wonderful, and have a longer glance, but if you stop, it would only be like a picture. :) Then you'd be bored, and wan't to get up to speed again to enjoy that great atmosphere once again. :lol: Only to want to slow down again!! :P I really don't know about the billboard thingy, as I don't have the game yet, but will in about a month and week, but it certainly sounds much more realistic with the billboards in constant change, that is, realistic in the future. :roll:

eLhabib
21st April 2005, 09:29 PM
I was wondering the same thing today, when I took a little leisure ride on chenghou. Now, I can't confirm this, but to me it sure seemed like some billboards were different than I remembered. that would truly be awesome, random billboards!

Egg
22nd April 2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, they're semi-random. You'll always see a predominantly red billboard in the same place, for example. That's how the artists "keyed" them into the colour schemes of each track.

They're picked from a large selection, so it'll take you a while to "collect" all of 'em.

The rarest ( if I remember ) is the Piranha one with the "teeth" . . . anyone spotted it yet?

Lance
22nd April 2005, 05:59 PM
congratulations, Jon, that was the 30,000th post on the forums of the WipeoutZone

Egg
22nd April 2005, 06:01 PM
Glad to oblige!

Oh, and back on topic, there are clues to the downloadable tracks hidden on many of the billboards, as someone spotted in another topic.

eLhabib
22nd April 2005, 06:16 PM
that's the sweetest thing. random billboards. sweet. by the way, I love Chenghou for cruising around. This track is so perfectly designed from A-Z. real greatness.

Dogg Thang
22nd April 2005, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Chengou Project's detail is simply amazing. The design is beautiful and I love just doing slow laps. I'll have to have a look out for some more track clues in the signs - thanks for clarifying that, Egg!

lunar
11th May 2005, 11:35 PM
I love the look of that lake in Blue Ridge.

there`s a lake in blue ridge? I must take a cruise there. I find rear view very good for stopping and admiring the scenery - mostly on Citta Nuova after another cocked up race. Most recently I did this after dropping from 3rd to 8th on a most strange incident:(this is the on topic bit) I was on the s-bends and dropped some mines to take care of the guys behind me - or so I thought - instead my Qirex jumped too high on the next bend, hit one of those random billboards, which then bounced me back into my own mines - KABOOM. 8th place. Bollocks. No doubt about it this game has very cool ways to kill you. After this I just sat and watched the ships go by for a few laps, and admired the FAT FABRIC billboard for a bit too. :wink:

Dogg Thang
12th May 2005, 07:28 AM
I saw that Piranha biting one for the first time a while back. It was all over Sebenco Climb. Haven't seen it since. Considering how much I've played Pure, it really is a rarity!

Sven
12th May 2005, 08:34 PM
I was on the s-bends and dropped some mines to take care of the guys behind me - or so I thought - instead my Qirex jumped too high on the next bend, hit one of those random billboards, which then bounced me back into my own mines - KABOOM. 8th place.I've done that. It really sucks. That billboard is evil.

username
22nd May 2005, 09:38 AM
can you really get damaged by your own mines on pure? it think thats good if you can because on all the other titles you just sort of went through them like a holograme.
what is the announcer like on pure to? is curly from wip3out or is it that naff ready go from fusion? :?

Egg
22nd May 2005, 10:08 AM
Curly belongs to the Designer's Republic, so we used the ...er... "naff" Ready / Go.

Dogg Thang
22nd May 2005, 11:47 AM
I've noticed that since getting Staten Park and Sebenco Peak, their billboards seem to be popping up a lot more regularly. No Tigron or VanUber boards at all though.

Sven
22nd May 2005, 06:48 PM
can you really get damaged by your own mines on pure?Yes, but not your own bombs.

yawnstretch
22nd May 2005, 07:33 PM
are you sure?

I think I've been hit by my own bombs... :?:

DJ Ikari
22nd May 2005, 11:27 PM
I don't hit my own bombs, my ship flies right through them. Your own bombs you go through, but you can crash into your own mines... but those seem to auto-dentonate after awhile anyway.

lunar
23rd May 2005, 07:46 AM
misleading, fantastical and frankly quite erroneous mis-information deleted. :wink: Scientific research proves that you cannot hit your own bombs.

Dogg Thang
23rd May 2005, 07:52 AM
I can't be certain but I don't think you can hit them even on the next lap. On quite a few occasions I have flown through bombs and the only reason I can think I was able to do that was that I actually put them there on a previous lap.

eLhabib
23rd May 2005, 08:55 AM
you can NOT hit your own bombs. that's a fact.

Chill
23rd May 2005, 03:19 PM
Ahem, unless it's real of course, or unless we have the technology to do that. :wink:

yawnstretch
23rd May 2005, 03:31 PM
I stand corrected regarding the Bomb issue. :bombhead

Next question: Do shortcuts exist in Pure?

-I believe to a certain extent that they do. - Not going through buildings mind, just jumping sections of the track...

In Modesto Heights on phantom for example you can superspeed jump at Earl Gap and skip the corner - just dont hit the tall building on your right or you'll be teleported. - Extra nice when you do a barrel roll and land on the final straight for a nice boost!

I think you can cut some of the corners in Staten very tight too - grinding style, but I havent found an iron-clad system there yet.

eLhabib
23rd May 2005, 03:47 PM
Staten Park is a GREAT track for wallgrinding. at the flat curvy section after the first dome you can cut the track nicely by grinding the left wall, also I have managed to grind down the whole long straight - just for fun. I don't think you lose any speed doing so either!

Lion
25th May 2005, 09:25 AM
anyone else noticed that on modesto heights, way up high to the left they are building another one of those japanese lucky cats like the one that was synonymous with 2097?
you can tell it's still being worked on because a) it's incomplete, and b) it's flashing blue in parts from the welders

eLhabib
25th May 2005, 10:33 AM
yep, I saw that one on my first lap on modesto, and was totally shocked (in a good way) 8O