PDA

View Full Version : phpbb ver 2.0 [note by lance: topic rEAlly turned elsewhere]

Wiseman
9th February 2002, 05:11 AM
I'm just posting this, because I'm seeing that some people are asking for features that will be in the next phpbb release(who's online at the bottom, for instance).

So before you go off and ask infox about some feature, check out the beta boards to see if it isn't already going to be included in the next release (ver 2.0)

They can be found here:

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/

Just trying to save some time for everyone here (most noteably infox) :wink:

infoxicated
9th February 2002, 12:25 PM
I'll drink to that!

hmmm... actually, after the amount I had last night, maybe I shouldn't!

Feisar
16th October 2002, 03:48 PM
i do not support people who drink Al-cho-hol
and i do not think the forums do either! :lol:

(ROFLMAOITSAPFCAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!)

xEik
16th October 2002, 04:23 PM
I found that a little... what's the English word? Vile? Base?

Just two comments, in my opinion rescuing topics from the depths of the forum (that is many months old) should be only done when there is a special interest in doing so. However, it's something that has lately been happening quite often, and not on such interesting issues. Why should you expect an answer to your post in a topic that might be ou of date?

Second, messing with the Admin doesn't show much wisdom from your part. Infoxx is one of the most understanding webadmins I've met but you should know that an Admin is God in his site (whatever site) and he can do as he pleases. Obviously, Infoxx is smart enough not to need me defending him but I just wanted to show some support to him, specially with the attitude that some members have been showing recently.

Again, the forums belong to the written language domain and therefore the tone of your reply could be a different one from the one I interpreted. In that case, my apologies.

I hope moderators don't consider I exceeded myself in this post.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
16th October 2002, 05:31 PM
Feisar's comment struck me as good-humoured joking around, though i must admit that responding eight months after the original remark seems a bit pointless.

xeik, i don't know about the opinion of the other two moderators on this point, but i don't feel that you've overstepped by commenting publically. i might prefer that complaints be made privately to the moderators simply because it reduces the possibility of a flame war, but public discussion of such things can be good if we don't get our egos too involved in it.

yes, there have been a considerable number of irrelevant, or at least not very entertaining and, in a few cases, perhaps borderline offensive or at least tasteless, comments lately that some of the members might regard as a waste of their time. there have actually been more than you've seen because i've deleted several of them. i'm reluctant to be really heavy-handed about deletions lest i go too far due to my own biases or due to a misunderstanding of the intent or emotional tone of the post, since, as you say, xeik, text without voice or visible expression can be unintentionally ambiguous. and if we're going to be reasonable and civilised humans, we have to allow for the preferences of other people as well as our own, allow for what other people consider to be suitable or entertaining. i am tempted to squash many more comments than i actually do.

to all our members in general, my own view is that during the development of a thread, it is okay to wander a bit off topic because that happens in real conversation, but that we should try to avoid wandering away from the subject for too long. as for the subject of resurrecting old topics, in some cases they still have a certain relevance, and certainly new members should try to check out the old posts on subjects they have questions about, preferably befOre they ask questions that have been discussed many times before.

the main thing when making comments or starting new threads, is to keep them within the realm of our members' shared interests and close to the core interest of this board, namely videogames, especially racing games and the issues and related interests surrounding them. do it all with good humour, and don't get so caught up in our own personal view of the world that we forget to take other people's views and interests into account. in the words of bill and ted's abe lincoln, ''be excellent to one another.... and party down, dudes!'' [no gender-related exclusions were intended in the course of this quote]

cheers

___lance

btw, someone made an inappropriate and flame-war-inducing response to xeik's post. i deleted that response

DJ Techno
16th October 2002, 05:44 PM
I found that a little... what's the English word? Vile? Base?

Just two comments, in my opinion rescuing topics from the depths of the forum (that is many months old) should be only done when there is a special interest in doing so. However, it's something that has lately been happening quite often, and not on such interesting issues. Why should you expect an answer to your post in a topic that might be ou of date?

Second, messing with the Admin doesn't show much wisdom from your part. Infoxx is one of the most understanding webadmins I've met but you should know that an Admin is God in his site (whatever site) and he can do as he pleases. Obviously, Infoxx is smart enough not to need me defending him but I just wanted to show some support to him, specially with the attitude that some members have been showing recently.

Again, the forums belong to the written language domain and therefore the tone of your reply could be a different one from the one I interpreted. In that case, my apologies.

I hope moderators don't consider I exceeded myself in this post.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

I found this information to be true, on my part

I am a member of couting three or four other chat sites including all the wipeout sites.
I was once a member of the Rocket Town Online Chat room.
I got booted off because of bad typing, grammerical errors, and because I had gotten into fights with the Admins.
It all started on a little post were I was explaining to Rachel AKA Aries on RTO why I had disappeared.
Then me and the Admin Jonesy begin arguing on what I do
saying that I was lying about DJing Street Racing and Martial Arts and that I was off to get attention.
Well the Admin Red XIII had closed the topic but I wasn't through I wanted to prove to everyone that I was telling the truth. And then wam I get slapped off the board.

And the truth is I had brought back to life ARies commitment to the RTO board
especially on her thread "My Art Thread" I was making friends with everybody, except the admins mainly Jonesy and Penguin and problaly a few others.

But I just wanted to let this out, since I found someone wanted to let everybody know about the things going on here.
DJ Techno
Mike Techno Long
end message...

Lance
16th October 2002, 06:44 PM
DJ T said ''I found this information to be true, on my part ''

which information? you quoted the entire post without specifying what exactly you referred to.

i know that you did not intend for your post to be irrelevant, but to recount all the details of the incident that occurred on another forum instead of abstracting and condensing the details that actually concern the discussion on this one tends to make the recounting irrelevant and time-consuming. the grammatical errors make the thread of your logic so unclear that we must often spend considerable time deciphering exactly what you are trying to say, but not quite succeeding in saying. ;)
and yet, i wAnt to understand what you're saying, so i do not take the easy path of simply not reading it.

it is a good thing for all of us, when posting, to not just type the first thing that comes into our heads, but to consider whether it actually says what we want to say, and whether it has any relevance to the current thread, or entertainment value to everybody else. i don't know about all you other pilots, but i often go back and read my own comments before [and all too often, after!] posting, and correct things and even try to cut out or rearrange things so that i can make my lengthy and ponderous sentence structure a little more clear. [too bad i so often fail, eh?] editing oneself is a good thing. i think. maybe. well... yeah

DJ Techno
16th October 2002, 06:52 PM
yeah thanks

I too sometimes go back to my posting and edit.
I have started doing that a lot more so that others can read, respond, and continue the conversation.

sorry I forgot the little details
thats why I was kicked off that RTO board
for little things.

Lance
16th October 2002, 07:01 PM
it isn't the little details you forget, it's the big picture. you tend to supply a lot of details or to get lost in side-issues instead of pursuing the more important central issue. and right at this point, if not before, i have become guilty of saying in public what should probably be said in private. [at least by my own standards of judgement] but since i am not being intentionally hurtful or nasty to you, i am leaving it public to see what other people think about the appropriateness of public versus private discussion on a forum. comments from everyone, please?

DJ Techno
16th October 2002, 07:01 PM
my last post I will edit it so it's understandble

but not now
so I am going to let Lances topic go forward

infoxicated
16th October 2002, 07:36 PM
I can only guess what's been going on here over the few short hours since I last checked. Someone's been on the Kentucky bourbon, I imagine...

Lance, you fancy mailing me and filling me in? :-?

Lance
16th October 2002, 07:53 PM
Rob, will do, though it will probably be at least 2 hours before i start writing. but first i must eat breakfast [yes, i said breakfast. :) ], go pay a bill, and [very important] buy more food]

Feisar
16th October 2002, 09:36 PM
Lance, you are one freaking good and awsome Moderator.
god bless lance, god bless england, and god bless the americas
THE LANDS OF LIBERTY! FREEDOM! AND DRUNKEN IDIOTS WITH GREAT INTENTION!!!!!!
may god bless us all!

DJ Techno
17th October 2002, 01:22 PM
:) :D :wink: :P 8)