PDA

View Full Version : Hotaru no Haka.

Piranha Advancements
21st March 2002, 05:30 PM
That's Grave of the Fireflies for you.

Is it really really that good..? I know it's made by Miyazaki's animation team (and the anime was from a novel ).Spirited Away,Spriggan,Wings of Honneamise and Blackjack are to me,one of the best animes out there.

Would it move me to tears...as the death of Optimus Prime did or the final episode of No Need for Tenchi #26 "No Need For A Conclusion!"(TV series,not OVA) or Stink Bomb did in Magnetic Rose.

Why am I asking too much? Cos I can't find that bastard VHS tape anywhere and buying it off the net is damn expensive with the exchange rate but never underestimate a desperate man.I'll beg if I have to.Mommy.

vincoof
21st March 2002, 06:10 PM
Can't find the VHS ?
Where the heck do you live ! :smile:

That anime is a must-have. Definately.
It's on my top-10 list of anime !

And of course that's just my 2 cents. You may want to hear it from other ppl too.

Spaceboy Gajo
21st March 2002, 07:04 PM
Piranha Advancements, as sad as Optimus Prime's death was. "Grave of the Fireflies" will make you break out crying for mommy. Honestly, it's a beautiful film and one of the best I've seen. It's so hard to get through it I might not watch it for a long time ;(

Wamdue
21st March 2002, 09:32 PM
sounds like a good animé, i´ll try to find it when I go to Gothenburg next week.

Is it just me or is scene when the (forgot his name) pilot in the blue fighter dies saving his best freind whom he has hated for all his grown-up life for nothing really really sad? Its like, they make freinds again, but can only spend a very breif moment togheter and only in battle with an army of droids and the X craft..oh well, back to mgs2 and finish it a second time.

edit: oh and the movie im talking about is Macross Plus: The Movie

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wamdue on 2002-03-21 22:36 ]</font>

Lance
21st March 2002, 10:17 PM
i hear Macross plus is a great one. i know a really sad one, too. but you guys wouldn't be interested in it. :wink:

but the point is that anime can be every bit as serious and affecting as live-action drama. and it may even be that anime has a higher percentage of really good movies.

Hydra XL
22nd March 2002, 03:10 AM
ken ishii's "extra" music video is one of the best anime i've seen in a long time.

other than that, from what i've seen...

macross plus, street fighter 2, fatal fury, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll

...any thing else prob b a waste of ur time.

wings of honneaimuseadivubaerualfhu, was alright too.

never saw grave o' fiahfliez tho'.

Wiseman
22nd March 2002, 04:35 AM
Yeah, you should definitely check Grave of the Fireflies out, Piranha, great movie.

LOL, the VHS version of Grave of the Fireflies has been sitting on the shelf at my local Hastings like forever.

Yeah, Macross Plus is great, I have the whole OAV set.

Task
22nd March 2002, 07:31 AM
Wings Of The Honneamise and Grave Of The Fireflies are similar: Very well drawn, good voice acting, not so amazing in plot. Wings Of The Honneamise does pick up after you get into it, the plot gets better. Grave Of The Fireflies just continues to get more depressing. Still, both are quite good.
What makes Grave Of The Fireflies so good is that it's one of the best animated pieces I've ever seen. There's a scene with an umbrella blowing around on the ground that's pretty jaw-dropping. They animated wind perfectly, I was stunned.
Tons of style, but not too much more.
However, if you're all into that, then I would definitely reccommend both.

Piranha Advancements
22nd March 2002, 12:41 PM
I live in a stupid place that ain't got no VHS of it lying on the shelf in like..forever,Wiseman.

Allright.I'll just have to order it offa Animenation..grr..Oh,from what I heard,Makross Plus The Movie is good too.Don't make the mistake of ordering Makross II The Movie...urgh.

Thanks for the infos,pilots.

Zebula77
31st March 2002, 05:29 PM
Hotaru no haka is fantastic! I recently bought it cause it was the number one rated animation film at the imdb. I was not disappointed.

If you guys/gals liked this film, I'm pretty sure you're gonna like Mononoke Hime (or Princess Mononoke, as it's called over here). Wonderful film.

vincoof
4th April 2002, 08:41 PM
Hotaru no haka and Mononoke Hime are pretty different, but I agree that anyone who liked one would like the other.

Zebula77
11th April 2002, 12:11 PM
Anyone seen the film by Mononoke Hime makers: Spirited Away? I hear it's pretty good.

Piranha Advancements
12th April 2002, 05:06 AM
Sen to Chihiro Kamikakushi is damn good.A simple beautiful story from Miyazaki,his final farewell piece from direkting into producing.If you're a core DBZ-er,3X3 Eyes fans,you probably won't like the pace of this movie.

The music is great as well from tghe pitter-patter theme of the walking ghosts to the theme of the movie,Itsumo Nando Demo, which is a beautiful song done by Yuki Kimura.Saw her perform that song on J-Pop Station Concert and it kaptivated everyone.

Miyazaki said this is a movie for the young ones but for adults,it's a way to experience childhood all over with his magic.

Piranha Advancements
13th April 2002, 02:40 PM
I splurged on all these just now.

Nausiccaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke (I had the dubbed one but hey..)

Next on my lists is Flames of Recca but heard that it's more or less a hanged since the ending is found in the manga.Suppose I'l get Star Ocean since I love that game.What more to get..ohh glee.

All subbed animes.Mirowaved pizzas and a large coke.Later.

Lance
13th April 2002, 07:09 PM
let me know about porco rosso. somehow the visuals really appeal to me, but i don't know if it's good in any other way.

mm.. is castle in the sky the same as Laputa?

Spaceboy Gajo
13th April 2002, 07:45 PM
the visuals really appeal to me, but i don't know if it's good in any other way.

Lance, are you referring to the plot?

That's what gets to me about anime. I love to the design and the animation, but more often then not the plots for these things are thin.

As for the dubbed version of Princess Mononoke I thought it was great. They got some great actors and they did a respectable job. Billy Bob at points reminds me of Bill Murray. Also, the screenplay was written by a very competent writer in Neil Gaiman.

Lance
13th April 2002, 07:52 PM
i'm referring to the storylines, the characterisation, the acting quality of the seiyuu, etc. all i've seen is still pics on the net

Piranha Advancements
14th April 2002, 05:17 AM
Gah.I'm watching in order of the lists I mentioned and stopped at My Neighbour Totoro(God,that was tiring).First thing after wathing Porco Rosso,I'll tell you if it's worth it,Lance.