PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Pure tester...

Purist
8th April 2005, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, pretty new here but just wanted to say a big "HI". Along with Berry, Eggerton, mlinklater and one of the moderators (unsure as to which, 'infoxicated'?) I am yet another one of the guys who worked on Pure :D the testing side that is! 8)

Well, what can I say, I've never really been inspired to join a video game forum before but I simply became captivated and fell in love with this lil gem. The graphics, sound, playability and longevity never cease to become boring and after more than several months of testing, leaving us and waiting for release... it were like cold turkey! I couldn't WAIT to get my hands on it!

Got my American version, got my Jap version, waiting for the Euro and would LOVE to see a sequel but who knows huh?!?! Just have to get hold of Three and Fusion now although, I believe (impression given by forums, and this is where I need YOUR help) one of these is the 'black sheep' of the pack? :?

yawnstretch
8th April 2005, 07:09 PM
Fusion had unfortunate shortcomings in key areas but it did have many strengths.

Welcome to the boards by the way :twisted:

Can you tell me whether the japanese game plays wi-fi with the US version? Also have you any ghost files yet?

Egg
8th April 2005, 07:16 PM
You all need the same version of the game to play Wi-Fi.

BTW ... welcome fellow newbie !

Lance
8th April 2005, 07:17 PM
hi, Purist

yes, infoxicated is Rob.

i think it is a testament to the game that someone who had to grind away for months on bug detection during play still loves the game. i know that i must eventually get it, somehow, someway, somesome...

Purist
8th April 2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys... 8)

Unfortunately, you DO indeed require the same regional version to enable Wi-Fi play :( but this is the same for ALL psp games as is the case for the Nintendo DS. I think one of the development guys touched on it when he said it's something to do with libraries?! :? Furthermore, during testing I was lucky enough to experience lots of multi-player action and I can safely say it's nothing short of phenomenal 8O with a minimal amount of frame drop ONLY noticed ONCE when it got very VERY action heavy and in the MAXIMUM 8 PLAYER mode, fortunately, it wasn't enough to distract from the gameplay at all!

If you have the means, try it.. although, take your charger with you cause you'll end up playing til the small we hours :wink:

Yea, it's been said that I'm kinda crazy that after playing a game for 7 hours a day for month I could possibly want MORE, but in my opinion it's an excellent game, both in single AND multi-player and I've yet to find a bad review!... the fact there's more to come in the form of downloadable content makes it all the more sweet! :D :D :D

eLhabib
8th April 2005, 10:38 PM
I've got the US version of purE, and naturally I'm gonna buy the euro version when it comes out here to play with friend who are now waiting for PSP's euro release (and envying me, A LOT :twisted: )

Question is, will I be able to transfer my gamesave and ghost data from the US version to the euro version?

Purist
8th April 2005, 10:42 PM
DAMN good question... I think one of the moderators would be the bestist people to answer that one :?

Thruster2097
10th April 2005, 11:38 PM
welcome to the wipeoutzone, :purist!
It's very encouraging to hear that wipeout has converted another gamer such as your good self into a fan. I suppose because you test the games, you have to remain fairly neutral to everything you work with. It's great to have you on board!

So, obvious "thanks for helping to make a great game" aside, WOFusion is very much the black sheep. Even tho I cant really understand why as it impresses me every time I play it, but a) thats not a difficult thing to do and b) its the only one in the entire series I can win very easily on.
As :yawnstretch has said, it did have a few weaknesses but it did have quite a bit going for it, too. You could pick up a secondhand copy in your local bargain bin for about a fiver... it's well worth it.

W3? errr... my personal opinion is to steer clear of it. As a wipEr to a purist, may I suggest finding a copy of WipEout 1 instead? Even though I personally think W2097 is a generally better game, I have to admit that W1 is the reason why I own many playstations and the reason why I joined here. But hey, I know tons of the pilots here just love Wip3out and it's big brother, WipEout 3 Special Edition, including our administrator, :infoxicated.

I'll let them tell you why W3 is so great.
Thanks for joining up with the 'zone, hope to see you around!

Oh, and thanks for helping to make a great game! :D

Chill
10th April 2005, 11:51 PM
Hey, I like Wipeout 3 too!! :? :D It's is my fave so far, but I'll let you make u're own decisions, purist. Welcome to the Zone!! :P Of course, I think I've already welcomed you in another forum before I saw this one, but what the hay!! :wink:

Thruster2097
11th April 2005, 12:06 AM
... But hey, I know tons of the pilots here just love Wip3out and it's big brother, WipEout 3 Special Edition ...

You're included in the bunch of tons, :chill!
Theres too many you W3ophiles to mention you all by name so I thought a collective grouping world be the best approach :wink:

Nuthin' wrong with W3, It's just not my cup o' tea.

Chill
11th April 2005, 04:11 AM
Well, I've only played Wipeout 1, 3, and Fusion, so you probably can see why it's my fave. :P Wipeout xl is comming through the mail, so my thoughts could change for all I know, but for right now, I'm stikn' with 3. 8) I'm just not as knowledgeable of Wipeout games as many of you others are. :( I'm gonna be workn' in a couple of months (after school) for about a year, before I enter the military for college (probably video-game design :P , and to hopefully help in the production of one of the future Wipeouts, one of mine, and many other's dreams), so I'll get a chance to catch up. :wink:

Purist
12th April 2005, 01:38 PM
Until I can get the downloadable content I NEED MORE so I managed to get hold of Wip3out: Special Edition of eBay a few days ago from a dewd in Australia. Lemme tell ya, the bidding went NUTS in the last five minutes but I ws determined to get my grubby lil hands on it!!! :D persistance prevailed...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8182487044&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Concept
12th April 2005, 01:59 PM
2097 and Special Edition are on a par with each other in my view, for very different reasons. They each excel and have flaws in areas that aren't accustomed to each other.

As for getting hold of Special Edition on Ebay - Purist, you're in for a treat.

It's an amazing game. :)

eLhabib
12th April 2005, 02:05 PM
51 BUCKS!? you crazy :dizzy

Mobius
12th April 2005, 02:25 PM
I paid 20 quid for it off amazon - and i'm not that mad...

zargz
12th April 2005, 02:27 PM
51 BUCKS!? you crazy :dizzy
that's ozzy dollars! ;)

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

eLhabib
12th April 2005, 02:53 PM
isn't an australian dollar worth more than a US dollar? how much is it?

Purist
12th April 2005, 02:54 PM
Approximately £20.91 :?

eLhabib
12th April 2005, 09:54 PM
well, that's a LOT for a PS1 title!

and I will repeat what I said before: YOU CRAZY?!

Concept
12th April 2005, 09:59 PM
Special Edition is worth £20. ;)

It's hard to get hold of these days, and goes for a little above average prices similar to other low stock PAL titles from this recent generation such as ICO and Rez.

Purist
12th April 2005, 10:22 PM
CrAzY... noooooooo. just passionate, it's my JOB!!! - besides, if you think I'm nuts... whilst though not related to WipEout looka this nutbag -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8183368620&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

zargz
12th April 2005, 10:27 PM
Concept: yeah defenetly worth 20-25£!!! btw where are you from?
it'd be nice if you put that in your profile - you and all others that didnt do it 8)

isn't an australian dollar worth more than a US dollar? how much is it? http://www.xe.com/ucc/
1.00 USD United States Dollars =1.29095 AUD Australia Dollars !!! 8O
Last time i checked it was 1 us for 2 > TWO< ozzy $ !!!!! what happened!??
well was atleast a year ago or may be even two! :|

rejj
13th April 2005, 12:13 PM
Basically what happened is the US dollar had a huge slump, and the AUD got slightly stronger overall.

Compare the difference between the USD and Euro a year or so ago and now..

zargz
13th April 2005, 03:31 PM
man that's crazy! :?
the way the $ dived!!

Dogg Thang
13th April 2005, 07:13 PM
Purist, if you have the JP version - have you downloaded the gamma pack yet? I'd love to hear more about the new track.

Purist
13th April 2005, 07:19 PM
Ain't got it yet :( on it's way though!

Dogg Thang
13th April 2005, 07:22 PM
Ah okay, sorry - I misunderstood. Heh, hope you get it soon! I really want to hear about this new track!

Purist
13th April 2005, 07:44 PM
I know how you feel tho dood, although we know what the released JAP extras are called and look like. Both large good quality pictures (lots more pwease!!!) and in-depth details are scarce.

Wamdue
13th April 2005, 09:22 PM
Its all worth the cash to get to play Manor Top in its original form. I was real happy they added that track as a classic in Pure, Its my overall favorite track of all the wipeouts Imho.

infoxicated
13th April 2005, 09:49 PM
I'd temper that enthusiasm with the reality that the new Manortop doesn't play quite like the old version. There's no tunnel off of the jump, for a start, and the start/finish straight is a little too short and, well, weird without the pit lane.

Then again, the track is etched into my brain, so perhaps to a less exacting pilot it might be a pretty good likeness. :)

Concept
13th April 2005, 09:55 PM
Manor Top used to be one of my favourites, and atmospherically (also structurally too) it's quite different in Pure.

Having said that, the game compensates through Chenghou Project, which is rapidly developing into another one of my favourite tracks from the series the more I time trial/freeplay on it.

eLhabib
13th April 2005, 09:58 PM
chenghou definitely is my favorite track in pure at the moment, followed by blueridge and sinucit.

I loved korodera in w'o'', in 2097 my favorite was phenitia park, so you can see why I love chenghou so much: it's like melting those two into one.

Concept
13th April 2005, 10:04 PM
The colour scheme in Chenghou gets me too, as well as the excellent (flowing) track design.

I've always had a thing for inner city areas in Wipeout, and especially those bathed in the fading sunset of an expanding evening, slipping into nightfall.

There's speed, a nice big jump, some lovely turns and a special atmosphere. Those four ingredients generally help certain tracks to standout throughout the series. I used to prefer Modesto, but I don't think it's track design is as easy to get into the zone or chill out with.

Chenghou has that appearance of first being deceptively easy, but actually being quite hard to fully master in gaining great time trial times. And as I said, like the best Wipeout courses (Gare D'Europa/Odessa Keys/Manor Top) it has an atmosphere that pulls you back.

Anyway... enough lyrical waxing. ;)

Chill
14th April 2005, 12:40 AM
Even though I don't have the game, looking on the site, Chenghou looks alot like Modesto. :? Other than, as Concept had wrote, the flowing design. :wink: Or the, let's say, P-Mar Project on WO3? I haven't played in a while, and my computer won't work well on the Kleber site, so I really can't tell. But I've always loved those kind of tracks too!! :roll: The only think I haven't seen in Pure is a jungle-like track, for example, like Alca Vexus in Fusion, and the one on XL, mabye one like that will be included as one of the downloads?

Concept
14th April 2005, 01:57 AM
Chenghou isn't anywhere near as intense or as difficult as P-Mar. It's a lot more gentle and accomodating to encourage flowing speed runs with no tight turns or sudden stops. Modesto Heights in comparison has an uneven, stuttering pace to its design, where the flow of your craft is speeding one second, and then slowing to a snail's crawl to thread yourself straight through the eye of a needle (read: tight bends).

Modesto in that sense is similar in parts to P-Mar.

They're different overall, but Chenghou shares a pace to it that Gare D'Europa has, in that although there are bends, you never quite loss your total speed on many of them. There's a great part with these two slightly ridged jumps early on in the lap, yet when you get to rapier and phantom... you can time it with a turbo so you sail over both of them and end up hitting the deck, to speed along this tight corner. If you get it right, it's a slick passage of play that offers a great rush.

Modesto and Chenghou are admittedly similar in terms of looks, but Chenghou has a slightly more epic and serene feel to it. Like I alluded to early, it's as if the day is dying off and a weekend night's activity is patiently waiting to get into full swing. It's a very evocative atmosphere.

Mano
14th April 2005, 02:12 AM
Hello and welcome to the forums Purist! (a bit late from my part)

I have to ask you one question, as you are a professional WipEout pilot ;) :

Have you tried the NeGcon controller?

If not, you should, adds a lot to the experience, and it feels like it was specifically made for the WipEout series on PS1, seriously.

Chill
14th April 2005, 05:00 AM
@ Concept: Well, what a great concept of thought!! :roll: I understand, I think, you mean that in Chenghou you feel at a more comfort-like setting when the controling is easier and you can just relax and feel the wind at high speeds, ya? And this also feels like more of a rush because of that, am I right? :?: Well, you really don't have to answer, because I'll figure it out when I get the game anyway, but thanx for your effort on getting me straight anyway. :wink:
BTW: I just now found out I meant Hi-Fumii instead of P-Mar Project, sorry. :oops: Damn!! I need to get that game again!! :?

Purist
14th April 2005, 07:26 AM
Hey Mano and thanx for the welcome.

Funny you should say that about the Negcon as I've currently got my eye on several on eBay. Despite it supposedly? being hailed as one of the worst peripherals in history (why?!?! I think it's great!) I do wanna get my hands on one!!!

lunar
14th April 2005, 08:27 AM
buy buy buy!! then when you are testing another wipeout game say "hey, you know, this would be so much better with a twist controller like a negcon. much more people would actually buy the game, and you could sell them lots of new controllers too."

Purist
14th April 2005, 09:33 AM
Yea, I could buy the entire stock off eBay and sell em' for a HUGGGGE profit!!! lol - I do hope they follow purE up with a sequel tho or at least make one for the PlayStation 3 whenever it arrives.

Wamdue
14th April 2005, 07:33 PM
I'd temper that enthusiasm with the reality that the new Manortop doesn't play quite like the old version. There's no tunnel off of the jump, for a start, and the start/finish straight is a little too short and, well, weird without the pit lane.

Then again, the track is etched into my brain, so perhaps to a less exacting pilot it might be a pretty good likeness. :)

Awwww.. Well, hopefully it wont bother much. Whenever I play WO3, Manor Top is the first track I race.. Its corners are just so fun to race when mastered. Its got it all, 90 degrees, jumps, smooth curves. No other track gives me the same satisfaction after a perfect lap :D

Possibly Phenitia Park.. The zigzag near the end of the lap on that track is sweet.