PDA

View Full Version : purE ghost challenge

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 01:01 PM
hey fellow purE pilots!

as you might not know, it is possible to exchange ghost save data from your memory stick. so, I thought it would be pretty neat if we could start a little ghost challenge for purE here!

HOW IT'S DONE:

if you connect your PSP to your PC via USB or wireless, you can access the ghost files from purE. you will find them under PSP>SAVEDATA. they are in oddly named folders, but you can determine the right one easily by comparing the date and time the folder was created with the date and time of the ghost file on your PSP. when you find the right folder, take the file ending on .GHO and upload it to your personal files here on w'o''zone, with a short description to it, then everyone can add it to their ghost files. I'm just 'guessing' here, that it should work this way, for I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense, doesn't it?
It might be necessary to clear your own ghost file for that specific track and class, in which case you don't have to delete it, but rather just store it on your PC if you don't wanna lose it (but actually, when you beat the 'foreign' ghost, you will have a faster time than your old ghost, anyway.

I will start now by uploading two ghosts. they may not be hard to beat, because I haven't really tried to get fast times yet, but just take a look at the file description, and if the times are better than yours, go for it!

the two ghosts are:

Flash / Blue Ridge / Zone / 0.36.53

Flash / Chenghou Project / Zone / 0.37.89

I chose Flash class because I'm most comfortable with it right now, and because most of you should have it unlocked by now i guess.

you can find the ghosts here:http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=913

please try if this works and feel free to upload your own ghosts!
have fun!

EDIT: after some testing we now know that two files are needed: SAVE.GHO and PARAM.SFO
just put them in a zip folder which you name like this 'class/track/time' and upload it!

yawnstretch
7th April 2005, 06:02 PM
I posted a thread about this yesterday but the problem with using the zone file storage is that only zoners are supposed to access them and isn't it a problem if other non-zoners access the files?

I dont want to get in trouble with files in my personal area - is there a site where we can stick these in a permanent open fashion for leagues? They're about 200kb each - or can we get confirmation from the moderators that other wipeout players can have access to these files in our storage area?

Thanks.

:?: :?: :?:

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 06:10 PM
first of all, the .gho files are 7kB. and second, I wouldn't see why I don't want ma ghost files to be touched by anyone else, there tagged with my name, so it is clear who set the ghost time...
have you tried putting one of my ghosts on your psp?

infoxicated
7th April 2005, 06:11 PM
In the case of these files, I'm fine with you sharing them - as long as it's for the purpose of playing Wipeout. The restriction is really only to prevent people from sharing large files - there are plenty of dodgy file sharing clients for that. :)

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 06:28 PM
so, now that we have the official OK to this, can we get this started? C'mon!

Mobius
7th April 2005, 06:37 PM
My psp is a .gho file at the moment.

tick follows tock follows tick follows tock follows tick follows shattered release dates. :(

The Boye
7th April 2005, 08:11 PM
Is it just the .gho file thats needed?

I don't know how to setup the download page from here so here's my Blue Ridge TT on Flash. I've made a few mistakes and used the airbrake too much for a fast time but it's decent enough for now.

http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C2EA1BUL9MH53MQUGGK2G1QY0

35.88 with Assegai.

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 10:10 PM
okay, first attempt failed. looks like we need more than just the .gho file. the two icon files and the pic file are identical, i tested that by swapping them around. that means we need the files SAVE.GHO and PARAM.SFO

i will now put those two up for my abovementioned flash/blueridge ghost. please somebody try this to see if it works or put up your ghost for any track.

i have put my files in a zip folder with a short description, you can grab it here:http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=913

def
7th April 2005, 11:09 PM
go go qirex!

flash / time trial / blue ridge / qirex / 0.34.92 ghost (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/def.blueridge.qirex.0.34.92.zip)

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 11:18 PM
just tried it, only took the .gho and .sfo, and it works perfectly! sweet!

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 11:31 PM
you know what? this could totally replace timetables for pure. we would just have to make one big tab with all the tracks and classes in it, and a ghost file zip for each. so everybody can download the ghost, and if he beats it, he sends the person who does the maintenance on the tab his new ghost, and it's put in, replacing the old ghost. sound like a good idea?

def
8th April 2005, 05:18 AM
i whipped up a little code for a ghost sharing page, you can upload your ghosts and download all the other posted ghosts. ive only spent a little while on the script so its a little buggy but it is definately workable, ill keep updating the code over the next few days and maybe stick a prettier interface on it. You can get to the ghost page here:
ghost page (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/)
if you run into any problems toss a pm or email my way and ill check it out

known bugs:
no spaces in names
no data validation on times

will do:
sorting of ghosts on individual track pages
display recent uploads on frontpage

eLhabib
8th April 2005, 06:47 AM
COOLEST. THING. EVER. :wink:
very nice

so we stick to copying the whole folders now? but then we have to remind people to delete their old gost for that track, otherwise it will mess up i think. take a look at my blueridge ghost file, beacause I'e added a short explanation on how to do it, maybe you can add that to the ghost page.

def
8th April 2005, 07:28 AM
heh, thanks.

yea, i think copying entire folders is a bit safer, i was reading one of the .sfo's and noticed it the folder name in there, so although it isnt absolutely nessicary it still seems like a good idea. thanks a lot for the how-to btw, ive placed it on the front page. Im not sure exactly what the psp will do if there are two ghosts for the same track but it probably wont work how you want it to so if you want to save your old ghosts you do have to remove the folder from the memory stick ( but thats not much worse than having to remove the .gho and .sfo files ). should make keeping track of stuff a little bit easier as well. anyways, ive added a couple features since my last post but nothing really worth mentioning individually. later.

rejj
8th April 2005, 07:49 AM
I don't think the tables should be replaced... but having this as an addition would be good. You enter a time on the table, and can also upload the ghost for that time. It not only helps enhance the competition (you can see your opponent!), but also provides proof that you aren't being dodgy :)

def
8th April 2005, 08:25 AM
yea, i dont think it should replace the tables either^_^ just a fun thing to go along with it.

update: ghosts now sorted in track blocks, will separate to track pages once there are ghosts to separate. time data validation bug fixed.

The Boye
8th April 2005, 08:46 AM
When I dropped the folder I was asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing folder as TT/Blue Ridge/Flash save file is named the same by default. To save space we could go down the .gho/.sfo route as long as everyone knows what files they are changing there shoudn't be any problem. All that changes is the ghost that's loaded, there is no change to your own personal records.

Nice clean lap btw, I shouldn't have any problems knocking that time into touch though. :D

yawnstretch
8th April 2005, 12:16 PM
This is AWESOME!
Somebody put a link in the Pure forum - I nearly missed this update! Nice user interface I was hoping for something just like this!

eLhabib
8th April 2005, 01:21 PM
actually, I started this thread in the pure forum initially, but noone noticed it...

yawnstretch
8th April 2005, 03:41 PM
There seems to be a problem uploading to your ghost page def:

After I tried to upload it said make sure the file was under 3kb and it had an error.

My file was 226KB - Im going to put it in my personal space now...

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=935

TT 0.24.53 Phantom Sol2 AG SYSTEMS Ghost :!:

eLhabib
8th April 2005, 06:29 PM
AW C'MON! I'm not even through rapier yet! still struggling with Citta Nuova :x

def
9th April 2005, 12:47 AM
darn, sorry about that guys, its fixed now. upload away,
the boye: even with the other stuff the files are only about 200kb i have no problem with people only uploading .gho and .sfo, just make sure they are zipped. i tested it more thuroughly now and it should be in better order, later

yawnstretch: that was a typo, it checked if it was under 300kb but i typed the error message wrong, that generic error message was displayed whenever any error occured. ive replaced that with descriptive error messages now.

update: ive taken the liberty of uploading all the ghosts posted in the thread so-far, worked smoothly. hope you guys dont mind.

edit: shaved a bit of time off my old blue ridge lap, botched the last corner though, get the new ghost from the flash page here: Flash Ghost Page (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=flash)

rejj
9th April 2005, 06:03 AM
Along with this ... I wonder if it is possible to capture the data that is being sent when you use the broadcast/receive records menu. It'd be awesome if we could find a way to share records tables. :)

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 07:28 AM
darn! I started off this whole thing, and now you guys make me look slow! :x :D gotta get some faster times, grrr

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 09:28 AM
whew, def, took me 41 laps in freeplay, but I beat your quriex with my wonderful ass-egai :wink: shaved 0.31 seconds off your time 8)

I will put the ghost on your flash page, and also my ghost of my very favorite track, Chenghou Project.

edit: hmmm, def, your site won't let me upload, says it's not a zip file although it is...
I'll put it in my filespace here now. go grab it:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=913

yet another edit: it works now, so everybody go and check out def's ghost challenge site!

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/

def
9th April 2005, 10:45 AM
bug fixed, script didnt like zips made with winzip 0_o works now.

rejj
9th April 2005, 12:51 PM
I just uploaded a 0:38.75 for vector sagarmatha.. I know I can do a lot better than that, but it's a decent entry point. ;)

There is an easier way than comparing the timestamps on the files to work out which files are which replays...

Just open up the "param.sfo" file with any editor (notepad will do - maybe you'll want to turn on word wrap) and you can clearly see in plain text the Class / Track / Team and time (along with a bunch of other random junk).

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 01:17 PM
yeah but in order to do so you'd have to search through a lot of param.sfo's!!!

def
9th April 2005, 01:27 PM
you might find this utility helpful : here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/sdviewer003.zip)
it is a japanese savedata viewer, dont worry though, all the menu items are in english and the interface is pretty simple, point it to your SAVEDATA directory and and it will show you all the data related to each of the folders, it will show you the same stuff you see when viewing the save data on the psp ( track, class, time, etc ) as well as the folder name. its a simple yet extremely useful program, check it out.

rejj
9th April 2005, 01:34 PM
That thing rules, thanks.
.. you should put a link to that on the main ghost page

def
9th April 2005, 01:50 PM
good idea, done and done. any more suggestions greatly appriciated.

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 02:54 PM
I just uploaded a total of 16 ghosts to the ghost page for vector and venom. they are not particularly hard to beat I guess, since they where just the best laps from my first TT efforts, but they are good for starters. have fun!

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 05:50 PM
reji, you obviously haven't read the tutorial on the ghost page. the files you uploaded are not complete. what is needed is a compressed(zip or rar) folder containing the SAVE.GHO and PARAM.SFO. what you did is you took just the SAVE.GHO and RENAMED IT as to something else! that's a big NONO! if you rename the ghost file, no psp on earth will be able to read it!

please read the instructions first.
I will have your dead ghost files removed, but please feel free to upload them again, in the right format.

EDIT: sorry reji, it was not your fault. you did alright. the site lets you download the zips without the zip ending, so windows didn't recognize the file. def, please fix this! for now, just change the file name by putting '.zip' at the end of it and it should work just fine.

rejj
9th April 2005, 06:51 PM
edit: unga.

the files had .zip when I uploaded them, I wonder why it got eaten..

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 06:57 PM
yeah, mine are missing the extention, too. no idea why... def can fix it, I'm sure. just downloaded your ghosts, now I'm gonna try and beat you :wink:

EDIT: shaved 2 seconds off of each of your ghosts 8) go grab the new ones http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/

def
10th April 2005, 02:31 AM
sorry about that, the actual files on the harddrive had the right name just the links to them where bad, fixed now.

rejj
10th April 2005, 03:02 AM
Ooh, that sounds like a challenge! :)
.. the PSP is charging up at the moment, but once it's full of juice I'll have to crank up some Pure.. ;)

def
13th April 2005, 01:20 AM
heh, havent had much time to play lately, but i managed to re-claim the throne for flash / blue ridge with a time of 0.33.99 in the mighty qirex while waiting for a class to start. Back to you eL (site seems to be working smoothly btw)

get the ghost here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=flash)
flash / blue ridge / qirex / 0.33.99

eLhabib
13th April 2005, 08:30 AM
oh bummer! I was hoping you wouldn't beat it, for I really sqeezed every last inch out of that one. well, I guess it's back to track for me then :x :D

rejj
13th April 2005, 11:29 AM
I haven't had a chance to play much lately... I've had Metal Gear Acid in my PSP and I've been playing that whenever I want to play something.

I'm starting to get wipeout withdrawl though... so I'll get back to it soon enough. :)
(I had a quick look at it, el, and that's not a bad lap.. especially for an assegai.)

eLhabib
13th April 2005, 12:21 PM
well, I know I can get faster times with the zone or the medievil ship, but for me that would feel like cheating on my beloved assegai. I don't mind if you use the zone ship, though, I think it's just cooler to have one favorite team to use for all records. Like the challenge between def and me is like qirex vs. assegai you know. adds to the challenge.

unfortunately I don't think I will have time to attack def's ghost before saturday... too much work these days, and my fingers are itchin' for that analogue nub :?

yawnstretch
16th April 2005, 06:55 AM
would it be sensible to just upload the save folder (in a zip) as I find it difficult to find which folder to put the files in... maybe im missing something?

for example if I havent made a ghost file on a certain level I wont even have the right folder name. does the folder name matter? that pspsavedataviewer doesnt work for me either and opening up the files in notepad is tedious.

does the name of the save folder eg (UCUS9861...) even matter? If it does can we upload that too please?

rejj
16th April 2005, 08:04 AM
sounds like a wise idea.. I'll do that from now on.

def
16th April 2005, 08:48 AM
the foldernames are track independent, each track/class has a specific folder name. i have been uploading the .zips containting the entire folder for this reason. if you download a zip that has one of the psp named folders in it copying that directly to the psp will work perfectly. one thing about the savedata viewer: when your trying to view ghost saves or other save information you need to point it to the location which contains the folder that the ghosts are in. like F:\PSP\Savedata not F:\PSP\Savedata\UCUS98612Gd99d41c hope you can get that working, it helps a lot. goodluck

Space Cowboy
16th April 2005, 10:37 AM
Sounds good guys, im gonna get cracking on my times :)

eLhabib
16th April 2005, 12:35 PM
good to see some people are warming up already 8) maybe I'll attack some times this afternoon, if I find the time...

yawnstretch
17th April 2005, 09:49 AM
:twisted: Good Morning Champions :twisted:

We have a new fastest lap... :Cough:

23 secs point 32!

I want it beaten by this evening gentlemen 8)

def
17th April 2005, 10:45 PM
heh, nice time yawn, but you used the zone ship!!! haha

anyways, on a related note i managed to get my hands on a japanese ghost file. the initial examination of the files looked promising until i noticed the game prefix ( the nine characters ) UCJS10007 is obviously different from the US prefix UCUS98612 this means even though i can slap the folder onto my memory stick without problems wop wont even know it exists. enter the hex editor. i tried a simple modification of the folder name and the reference in the .sfo file which yielded a "corrupt data" flag when placed on the psp. after running several binary comparisons between different ghosts and stuff i noticed that two peices of the sfo seemed to change no matter what 16bytes starting around offset 0x57D and 32bytes at 0x11C0. if any single byte in the entire file is changed ( somthing as simple as player name from "DEF" to "dEF" the file is flagged as corrupt. So it seems there is some sort of hashing / key comparison going on here.

I can only guess but i think these values are compared with values encrypted inside the .gho file because swapping the .gho with an .sfo also flags corrupt ( like we discovered earlier ). The rest of the information in the .sfo is pretty trivial, playernames, times and other data are all encoded in UTF-8 and fields are marked by hex offests in the header of the .sfo. basically what all this boils down to is that the chances of being able to play US ghosts with euro/japanese version of pure or the other way around is looking pretty slim, that is unless those 48bytes can be figured out. if anyone else is interested in more detail just pm me or somthing. sad day for ghosting T_T later.

edit: the game prefixes seem like a pretty standardized thing, look on the back of your pure box, barcode is 1171986122 and the inside front cover of the booklet actually says UCUS98912. the prefixes for other psp games can be found the same way. now maybe i should figure out what is up with those suffixes... i tried s couple sorting methods but they seem to be completely random however they are the same for the same track/class between us and jp games.

yawnstretch
17th April 2005, 11:00 PM
...so what you're saying is

you give up :twisted: ?

That's actually quite annoying about the Japanese Ghosts though :?

I guess i'll have to console myself with the fact that Im pure's fastest pilot or something :D

Does that seem conceited? Good 8) What we need is hardcore competition (so that I can fail my upcoming exams - Yay).

eLhabib
17th April 2005, 11:07 PM
juuuust wait till I find the time to sit down for a while in a calm place with my psp... :evilgrin

yawnstretch
17th April 2005, 11:12 PM
I've a horrible feeling that the time I uploaded was almost as good as I can do and if anyone beats it it will take me AGGGGES to beat... :(

Maybe I should start trying to beat that ghost too - first one to get a time claims the throne as long as it lasts - there's no prize for second place!

...I'll have to start practicising on some of the other tracks too - that citta nuevo is EVIL i tells ya! - the twisty bit reminds me a bit of how I felt facing Karbonis at first :P

eLhabib
17th April 2005, 11:22 PM
that actually is the only part of track in purE I am saving autopilots for instead of instantly absorbing them.

yawnstretch
17th April 2005, 11:30 PM
Autopilot has its own quirks yet again in pure - took me a bit of time to appreciate how to use it to the fullest but sometimes it does some crazy things at tough bits of the track like that bit.

I've had my ship flip on it's back (and stay upside down & grounded until tele), smashed into billboards, summersault and barrel roll with autopilot. Pure is a lot of fun - particularly the way it seems to tilt the ships left and right with a lovely rocking effect when you hurtle through a twisty bit - sure you can scrape your wings on the road and slow down but it's realistic and it's fun.

Yay Pure's twistiness! - made even more enjoyable on PSPs widescreen which accentuates the tilts.

def
17th April 2005, 11:32 PM
here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=phantom).

phantom / sol 2 / zone 0.23.11 def.

eLhabib
17th April 2005, 11:33 PM
I found that the trick with using AP on that particular part of track is not to kick it in until the second-to-last climbing right turn, then it manages to do everything right. if you kick it in before that it tends to fly off the track or into billboards and walls.

EDIT: aw c'mon def, have some dignity! don't degrade him just yet, give him some time to celebtrate! :twisted:

yawnstretch
17th April 2005, 11:34 PM
doh - why did I refresh this page before bed?

I could have slept soundly!!!

:x

def
19th April 2005, 03:53 AM
here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=phantom).

phantom / vineta k / qirex 0.20.76 :banzai
no new sol2 recod 0_o your 24 hours have expired! muahah...

eLhabib
19th April 2005, 10:26 AM
hey def, look over to your site, there's something new for your qirex to chew on. *cough.. blueridge...cough... 0.33.58... cough* 8)

yawnstretch
19th April 2005, 12:59 PM
24 hours? No one mentioned a new deadline 8O

It's not the weekend yet is it :wink:

I wont get a chance for a decent lash at destroying your time for a few days at least 8)

- or maybe a month or two? :lol:

Anonymous
19th April 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Guys :)

I was wondering how good you guys are at Rapier Class? :D

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=rapier

Nice webby Def :)

def
20th April 2005, 01:59 AM
thanks mu5, welcome to the zone btw! ^_^

as for you eL... *cough*

here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=flash).
flash / blue ridge / qirex 0.32.64 def. hows that?

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 09:14 AM
Sweet mate :D

Is there any way you could add a download count to each ghost? Or perhaps, send an email confirmation to the person who owns the ghost when someone downloads it?

I will download some files and give you a race tonight man :)

yawnstretch
20th April 2005, 09:32 AM
Oooh - download count - nice!

This weekend my only goal is to beat DEFs sol2 time. This time is goin dowwwwn.

:evil:

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 10:55 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAH! AAAAAARGH!!! how the f*k did you do that?! when I was doing my record lap, I was like so on adrenalin, I don't think I could ever go any faster (with an assegai) and then you shave me by almost 1 sec?! GRRRRR! just wait, you bastard, I WILL DESTROY YOU! *furious* :D

EDIT: There's something very important I would like to say: I would apprciate it very much if we could keep all the tables except for the Phantom one Zone- and Medievil-Ship-free. I'll explain why. I think it adds a lot to the fun of competing if everyone can use their favorite team to try and beat records. Now all the ships in the game are pretty much levelled, the ones that are faster are harder to control so you can very well beat a piranha or triakis with a feisar on a twisted track. The Zone and Medievil ship are way superior, however, so I would like to keep them out of the record tables because I for one would like to continue competing with my favorite assegai, and I think many others like it that way too. So it would be cool if everyone sticks to one specific team for all the records he sets, it just adds sooo much to the feel of the competition.
In Phantom however, where it really is about THE.FASTEST.LAP.YOU.CAN.GET.IN.THIS.GAME.PERIOD I am fine with using Zone and Medievil. This is like the world records, so you naturally take the fastest ship. But for all the other classes, please stick to the 'normal' ships.

Please take a minute to think about it, and def, if you like, please do some adjustments or an explanatory text on your site.
Thank you.

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 01:28 PM
The Zone and Medievil ship are way superior, however

To tell you the truth, I dont think they are :) If they were, you wouldn't get the option to use them in the time attack.

I have been racing loads of ghosts on flash and rapier mode, and as soon as a 'special craft' ghost comes along, its not long until its beaten :D

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 01:39 PM
that's because we're still at the beginning here. but ultimately you can get the fastest time with the zone or medievil ship.

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 02:59 PM
Fact still remains - if they were 'superior', they would not be included in the Time Attack :)

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 04:04 PM
I don't agree on that. Time trial in the game is not intended by the developers for competing directly with other pilots. It's there for competing with yourself, so it doesn't matter wich ship you use. But for the sake of competing with others by sharing ghosts, a method that was not intended by the developers, it adds a lot to the challenge if nobody uses the zone or medievil ship, because there is just no way to beat a very good zone ship record with, say, an AG-5Y5.

In addition to reasoning, def and me are the ones who started this thing off, so we reserve the right to apply certain rules. It's not like we're discriminating anyone, is it? I am pretty sure that more than 50% of purE players have a favorite ship other than the zone or medievil, so in using a ship they cannot beat with their favorite ship would be discriminating to them, for they would have to use a ship they don't like to be able to compete.

def, I ask you to comment on this and share your thoughts. I think it would be sweet to have pilots choose one team (except zone or medievil) as their favorite, and then they can submit record ghosts they have set using their chosen team. Don't you think it would be more fun to have a competition going not only between pilots, but also between teams? After all, that's why there are different teams in wipEout! You start the game for the first time, you see a team that you think looks cool and has stats that fit to your driving style, and you pick it. I am afraid that most people don't care about 'personality' and just pick the fastest, easiest-to-win team. Where's the fun in that? I have played through the whole game using assegai, because I think they look and feel cool. I know it would have been easier to just use the zone ship as soon as I got it, but where's the fun in that!? Show some color, people, don't become success-whores, it's only a videogame anyway! Might as well have some fun playing it, instead of simply choosing the easiest path with a characterless team like zone. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A COLOR THEME! :D

And, as I said before, in Phantom, where the top times are set, I agree on using the fastest ship possible. After all, Phantom is the only class where you can really be proud of a record time ghost.

Lance
20th April 2005, 05:23 PM
i think that one can be proud of a record time in any class; they're all difficult to get firsts in. have you tried to beat Arnaud in Vector class on anything lately? ;)

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 05:46 PM
that's not what I meant. What I'm saying is, if you have the fastest time in Flash, there is still Rapier, and if you have the fastest time in Rapier, there's still Phantom, but if you have the fastest time in Phantom, nothing is faster. So, basically, you are the fastest there is - see my point?
I agree that you cannot ban a supership totally, but at least try and keep it out of the slower classes, so the competition is still enjoyable teamwise. Heck, all I'm saying is that there are people, me included, who want to be competitive, but with their favorite team. And the zone and medievil make this impossible. And don't tell me they are not superior ships! Ask any good player if he could beat his zone ship record with, say, a qirex.

def
20th April 2005, 06:09 PM
hello hello. well im no diplomat and therefore my opinion is pretty simple, i dont really care what ships other people use but i do think there should be some distinction between the 'superships' and basic craft. perhaps i could code a toggle for 'regular' or 'unlimited' timetables. regular ommiting zone/midevil records and unlimited showing all records. thats pretty much my 2c on the entire topic. i just want people to have fun.

download count: that is a good idea, i will see about implementing that, i can grab CURRENT download counts out of my logs but i would need to work up somthing better than that. good idea though, ill try to implement it this weekend, not sure how alive im going to be minus wisdom teeth. i will also try to implement a couple other features, like "show all assegai ghosts" or "show all chenghou ghosts" so look forward to some kind of update this weekend.

el: haha dont get to upset about that laptime on blue ridge, the time you posted was damn hard to beat, your little assegai pulls hard out of corners, harder than my qirex anyways. i pulled it off by monopolizing on that single boost pad you missed at the first corner after the jump.

mu5: i think you misquoted me ( el was the one who said the zone and midevil were superior ). i, however, do think they are. stick the zone along side my qirex and there is no comparison which one can pull faster times. ill try out some of your rapier times once i get a break from real-life :twisted:

Lance
20th April 2005, 06:20 PM
in the XL records tables, we already attempt to maintain a Non-Piranha League in the first three racing classes, but allow Piranha in Phantom class. it works pretty well; we have a lot more fun, i think, then we would with a supership allowed in all classes. although i don't have Pure and a PSP and can't enter your ghost competition, i understand what you want to do and fully support the idea.

------------

i don't entirely agree with your point about 'the fastest' even though i obviously see what it is.
fast is always relative; fastest at what? if there is a game faster than Wipeout, then the fastest Wipeout pilot is not the fastest person. we can be fastest not only in any one game, but in any class of that game. but never forget that even if we are the fastest pilot in Phantom class Wipeout, we are still sitting in a really slow chair. ;)

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 06:23 PM
i pulled it off by monopolizing on that single boost pad you missed at the first corner after the jump.

I missed that one on purpose because on my racing line it would actually slow me down! you may have noticed that I do a barrel roll in the air, and when I land and get the boost I pull hard right, losing my momentum and to compensate I kick in the turbo, so when I fly by the said speedpad I am on turbo speed. Now, one strange thing about purE is, that when you hit the turbo and then go over a speed pad, it actually kills off your turbo. That's why I avoided this particular speed pad. But now it looks as though I will have to change my racing line...

EDIT: LOL Lance :wink: what I meant is when you are fastest on Phantom you are the fastest one on that track. Period.

def
20th April 2005, 06:38 PM
el: you can take care of that by doing your barrel roll and pulling right early, you will notice my ghost nearly touches the apex of that corner allowing me to tag that boost pad without loosing too much momentum, and as soon as that boost starts to wear off thats where i punched the turbo.

lance: thanks for the official word on the timetables ^_^ once i get some free time ill try to apply some of this stuff. and when there are more ghosts from both regular and superships the differences should present themselves and measures can be taken from there. btw, i myself would love to see official pure timetables! if you guys need any help with that just lemme know, im here. :wink: ps. i wish my chair was fast...

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 06:55 PM
mu5: i think you misquoted me ( el was the one who said the zone and midevil were superior ). i, however, do think they are. stick the zone along side my qirex and there is no comparison which one can pull faster times. ill try out some of your rapier times once i get a break from real-life :twisted:

:D

Well, I have recently been trying to beat a Rapier / Modesto Heights time using a Zone ship against an Assagai, and after about 3 days of trying, I just couldn't get near it. I remembered how similar the Qirex is and took that a spin - after 5 attempts I thrashed it :D

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/mu5.rapier.modesto.qirex.0.26.49.zip

Now I know why you like Qirex bro :D

If anybody can take that ghost in a Zone ship, I will be very suprised :)

Lance
20th April 2005, 07:19 PM
def, it's not 'official' exactly; it's just that not long after the 2097/XL tables were first put up on the site a bit over a year ago, the four of us in North America who had been most recently active on the NTSC WO3 agreed amongst ourselves to use only the regular ships instead of the supership. there were already some extremely casual Piranha times on there that had been put on by Jason just to get the records off to a start and induce other people to post times. he just basically ran one race on each track in each class and posted whatever time came up. but after our agreement, Piranha times were only posted by those not aware of the 'ban' [ ;) ] on that ship in the first three classes. in Phantom there were a few Piranha times already from those concerned with having the absolute best possible time in the game. we made no attempt to eliminate any times already posted, nor any new Piranha times on Phantom.

as to why there is currently no official notice on the records entry page about this agreement [which is why Piranha times still occasionally get posted], the only person who has access to the WZ homepages is our fearless but overworked leader, Rob. and i've just never even made a request that such a notice be made official. after all, it's just an agreement amongst a modest number of racers, though several more people than the original four now abide by it also.

the original impulse behind the agreement was by Jay [Task] who noted the fact that Piranha never takes part in winning the game, and is just a supertoy given as a reward for winning, not the tool for winning. but in addition to that, it just seems to me and some other pilots that the non-Piranha ships are just plain more fun to fly. the less great handling, and the turbos give the pilot more to do, more skills to master. even more true in Single Race mode where weapons may be used in a skillful way, while the Piranha has none

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 07:40 PM
see that's exactly what I meant. Trying to master a track in a not-so-perfect ship adds much more color to it IMO.

In addition to that, it just sounds cool to say, 'my assegai will stomp on your qirex' :D

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 07:47 PM
'my assegai will stomp on your qirex' :D

Try and stomp on this one bro :D

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/mu5.rapier.modesto.qirex.0.26.49.zip

I can get 0:27:12 in the Zone craft btw :wink:

def
20th April 2005, 07:55 PM
haha mu5, i see youve had a slight change in the avatar department ^_^

Anonymous
20th April 2005, 08:03 PM
:D

Right, lets try this Blue Ridge Ghost... :D

eLhabib
20th April 2005, 10:06 PM
oh, now I'm up against the russian connection or what? :D

too bad I don't have time to TT before the weekend...

Anonymous
21st April 2005, 08:35 AM
thanks mu5, welcome to the zone btw! ^_^

as for you eL... *cough*

here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=flash).

Cheers mate :)

I tried to beat your flash blue ridge last night - took all my energy to keep up with it for half a lap :D What an awesome ghost bro! Excellent racing! :D

Lets see you beat my Rapier / Modesto Heights 8)

rejj
21st April 2005, 10:26 AM
i think that one can be proud of a record time in any class; they're all difficult to get firsts in. have you tried to beat Arnaud in Vector class on anything lately? ;)
He's currently 3rd in vector on sagarmatha in w3se... ;)
( and g'kyl is going down, I say! down! ;) )

Lance
21st April 2005, 12:15 PM
in my experience, when Arnaud finds out that one of his times has been beaten, he soon beats that time. perhaps he just doesn't know about that one yet. :)

eLhabib
21st April 2005, 12:36 PM
he sure hasn't been around much lately, has he?

Dogg Thang
21st April 2005, 07:02 PM
Is there a Pure records table up anywhere?

Lance
21st April 2005, 07:31 PM
Arnaud's computer has been frizzling for at least a month

def
21st April 2005, 08:46 PM
Dogg Thang: sure, theres no official one yet but the my ghost page works as a pretty good stub. http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/. theres a little info on the front page about getting ghosts to/from the psp. hope it works for ya'. later.

mu5: i dont have any time to race today but ill take a shot at your ghost tomorrow ^_^

edit: ive made a couple slight changes to the page, implemented the download counter ( which was quite an interesting thing to do without adding one of those lame download re-direct pages ). I also unified the class TT db's. this isnt somthing that can be noticed from the webpage itself but queries should be a bit quciker and it gives me the ability to add lots of neat sorting methods ( like the ones i mentioned in my last post ). any other features you guys can think of? how about an upload page for custom save bgs ( you know, the blue bg that shows up when you select a save in the save management section ). well thats it for now. later.

def
22nd April 2005, 04:06 AM
sry for double post but its almost eight hours later...
mu5: modesto heights is a rough track for me for some reason, probably the one i had the most trouble with in tourney mode. however heres a ghost for you. it shouldent be to hard to beat. i havent been able to pinpoint the best line yet so youll notice my ghost is kinda all over the place ^_^

here (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=rapier).
rapier / modesto heights / qirex 0.26.05 def.
maybe ill try with the zone ship tomorrow.

eLhabib
22nd April 2005, 10:01 AM
maybe ill try with the zone ship tomorrow.

ATTENTION: DANGER! WRONG THOUGHT! :D

Anonymous
22nd April 2005, 12:03 PM
sry for double post but its almost eight hours later...
mu5: modesto heights is a rough track for me for some reason, probably the one i had the most trouble with in tourney mode. however heres a ghost for you. it shouldent be to hard to beat. i havent been able to pinpoint the best line yet so youll notice my ghost is kinda all over the place ^_^

Sweet mate - nice time :) I will give it a race over the weekend bro

Good work on the download count btw, although I think we may have some issues - I have downloaded your ghost twice today and its reading zero?

Right, Modesto it is then...

def
22nd April 2005, 07:23 PM
heh, the download count is updated from my logs every 20 minutes. this is the best way i could do it without adding one of those re-direct pages (which i personally hate). so when you dl somthing you might not see your click registered for (at the longest) 20 minutes. the script also doesent count multiple downloads from the same ip as unique so your two dls will only show up as one. and el, that thought was correct, mu5 said it would be harder to beat that time with the zone than the qirex, i wanted to prove him wrong :twisted:

if anyone cares how its done..

grep -F "$(ls /var/www/localhost/htdocs/ghost/datafiles/ | sed 's|^|/datafiles/|')" /usr/lib/apache2/logs/access_log | awk '{print $7 " : " $1}' | sort -u | awk '{print $1}' | sed 's,.*/,,' | uniq -c | awk '{print "UPDATE ghosts SET count=" $1 " WHERE filename=" quote$2 quote ";"}' quote="'" | mysql -u def ghost

its pretty shady as it is right now havent had time to work on optimizations yet.

eLhabib
22nd April 2005, 10:43 PM
...might as well explain it to me in chinese :wink: you know what I told you about my perception of the movie 'Hackers', def :D

def
23rd April 2005, 11:56 AM
added comment system and slightly improved some other aspects...

mu5: i posted a slightly faster lap on modesto with the zone ship.
rapier / modesto heights / zone 0.25.43 def.

Anonymous
23rd April 2005, 12:43 PM
No way man :)

I got a 26.09 with the Zone last night (and I had a few mistakes) - I was so happy I thought I had beaten your ghost on the last lap, then realised you had pipped me at the post when it asked if I wanted to save the ghost :D I was gutted :D

I will download the new one just now...

Wow - nearly 60 ghosts are up already :D

def
24th April 2005, 07:26 AM
there are exactly sixty three ghosts up as of this very moment, but only from five people o_O

heres my new ones:
flash / modesto / qirex 0.28.74 def.
flash / vineta / piranha 0.26.34 def.
rapier / sinucit / qirex 0.38.19 def.
rapier / vineta / piranha 0.23.31 def.

mu5: i havent beaten your rapier vineta lap yet... got really close with the qirex but that is such a high speed track its nearly impossible with such a slow ship. good lap though. later.

update: added last 5 ghosts/comments tickers to front page.

edit:
new one...
rapier / vineta / piranha 0.22.99 def.
could'nt go to sleep while still in second position, finished now :wink:

Anonymous
25th April 2005, 09:07 AM
edit:
new one...
rapier / vineta / piranha 0.22.99 def.
could'nt go to sleep while still in second position, finished now :wink:

No way man!! :D Nice time

I managed to get my Rapier / Modesto time down a bit, and I have also uploaded some ghosts to the venom and vector sections.

I will take your Rapier / Sinuicit Ghost a spin tonight :)

eLhabib
25th April 2005, 12:01 PM
guys, I wish I had the time you obviously have to play this game more... One hard month of schoolwork to do and then I can finally attack big time!

Anonymous
25th April 2005, 01:49 PM
Hey def, you managed to fly *over* the billboard at the end of Modesto Heights yet? :D

I done it yesterday when I was racing your ghost - wish I had it saved so I could watch it in the replay :D

eLhabib
25th April 2005, 02:05 PM
It's pretty easy actually, just pull up and hit the turbo. I've done it several times to try if it brings any time advantage, but it doesn't. You would be faster this way if you could fly over the sign, slightly cutting the corner, do a barrel roll and receive another boost upon landing, BUT if you use a turbo while jumping, it won't give you a boost for you barrel roll. So it's faster to jump straight, do a roll, boost into the corner, and hit the turbo coming out of it.

Anonymous
25th April 2005, 08:28 PM
So it's faster to jump straight, do a roll, boost into the corner, and hit the turbo coming out of it.

Dont try and beat def with that strategy :D

def
25th April 2005, 09:26 PM
on my ghost i boosted a tad early off the jump, just early enough to land just under the sign facing towards the finish line. on impact i got the barrel roll boost and scooted my way towards the goal. it works pretty well but i havent stacked that directly against your method eL. its quite a dangerous strategy in practice, i had at least three laps faster than that which i botched around the jump. hitting the sign is not a good way to end a 'perfect lap'. another important part is the second speed pad on the left right after the first hairpin, make sure you hit that.

Anonymous
25th April 2005, 11:22 PM
I think you definately need to use the turbo before the big jump. Check out the sub 26 sec Rapier-Modesto Ghosts - man do they move :D

I have been sitting at the last bend at modesto in order to watch the ghost fly off the big jump, then zoom round to the finish. Check it out its brilliant :D

New Flash Vineta K is up def...

"Prepare to see a lot of the tailfin" :D

eLhabib
26th April 2005, 10:10 AM
oooh, somebody is showing his true colors now... :D

Anonymous
26th April 2005, 12:23 PM
Hungry? :D

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/mu5.flash.vineta.piranha.0.25.91.zip

Right, no more team changes. Piranha it is! :D

eLhabib
26th April 2005, 12:46 PM
I would stick to piranha, too, if they didn't have such a terrible acceleration. Really makes you slow on curvey tracks like citta nuova.

def
27th April 2005, 03:55 AM
heh, piranha is cool but not exactly for me, im a fan of the technical tracks ( like blue ridge ) and the piranha just doesent have the pickup to keep a good pace on such tracks. however to prove i can pilot anything ( more like your ghost was too damn quick to beat with anything else ) i took it on with a piranha. your new challenge is here:

flash / vineta k / piranha 0.25.65 def.
http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/view.php?class=flash

only about a third of a second improvement, good race.

Anonymous
27th April 2005, 08:04 AM
sweet mate :D that will be a difficult time to beat. I will give it a go tonight.

How many attempts did it take you? :D

def
27th April 2005, 05:43 PM
im not sure exactly how long i spent on it, i was sick yesterday so i wasnt racing my best, probably like an hour or so in freeplay mode. i was having a rough time nailing that barrel roll of of the tiny jump. also took a while to get used to the piranha, heh. later.

Anonymous
27th April 2005, 08:48 PM
I tried to beat it tonight and couldn't get anywhere near it. I think its a bit harder to do on Vector also

def
28th April 2005, 05:45 AM
ok, i pulled a stupid and i didnt realize it until just now. i added a named host to my apache server to filter garbage from worms and such out of my logs, however afterwards i dumped the garbage from my old log into the new garbage log, well i forgot to restart apache after this log modification and apache wasnt given write access to the file. so what this boils down to is that all download counts from the last few days ( like three i think ) are lost forever. whoops. luckily i had a tail | nl working so i have all the log lines in my buffer somewhere, ill see if i can find them again and maybe re-claim those hits from the abyss.

Anonymous
28th April 2005, 08:21 PM
nice one - good luck :D

http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/mu5.rapier.vineta.piranha.0.22.82.zip

def
28th April 2005, 10:22 PM
new:
http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.rapier.sinucit.qirex.0.37.16.zip
http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.rapier.vineta.piranha.0.22.40.zip
both times are definatley beatable, made a couple mistakes on both (but regained first place ^_^).

edit [04.29.05 01:56:30 GMT]:
sorry eL, i had to do it
http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.phantom.sol2.qirex.0.22.85.zip

you were right, the zone ship isnt really as superior as i had believed. the ships in pure seem pretty damn well balanced, sure the zone ship could probably pull a tad faster times than most of the other ships but nothing that would cause it to reqire an entire separate records table and whatnot. on tracks with lots of corners (pretty much anything but vineta) the times really come down to the pilot. anyways, </ramble> later

edit2 [04.29.05 07:04:33 GMT]
fixed the log problems dl counts look much healthier ^_^ later (again)

Anonymous
29th April 2005, 08:05 AM
Let me guess - all you do is sleep, and play wipeout pure, yes? :D

Lance
29th April 2005, 11:56 AM
and works on the web page, of course :)

Anonymous
29th April 2005, 03:41 PM
....forgot about that :D cheers

both times are definately beatable? :D

eLhabib
29th April 2005, 06:23 PM
sorry eL, i had to do it
http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.phantom.sol2.qirex.0.22.85.zip

I HATE YOUUUUUU!!! :x :x :x
:wink:

def
30th April 2005, 01:00 AM
eL: qirex? :wink:

mu5: actually i do a lot of other stuff but with wipeout inbetween most of them, psp in sleep mode during freeplay is the best. by the way, can you try not to post links directly to your ghost zips on pages other than this one? ( like the ntsc-uk posts ). instead just post a link to the class page which its hosted on, they should be able to find it from there. thanks.

eLhabib
30th April 2005, 10:42 AM
eL: qirex? :wink:

NEVAR! I will stick to my beloved assegai until my thumbs fall off! (or until EG.r comes around as a downloadable team, that is :D )

def
30th April 2005, 11:14 AM
ive, somewhat improved the timestamp system, there was a nasty bug that was throwing off creation times. unfortunately i was forced to permenetly narf the creation times on ghosts to fix this problem. but now that its fixed all dates should be a lot more reliable.

uberweng
30th April 2005, 12:57 PM
Def and EL,
thanks for taking the time and effort to make your ghost sharing site. Wipeout pure is a sweet game but i need access to ghosts that put me to shame and push me to play better, think harder and generally curse more as some crazy ghost leaves me in its dust.

I have one question though...
I got an okay time racing venom sinucit (0.50.93 with harimu) in free race but it only displays this laptime if I select the same race in time trial and when I check the lap time for free play it says a slower laptime. However, when you race in time trial or free race the ghost is the same?

This has me pretty confused.

Uberweng

Anonymous
30th April 2005, 01:02 PM
No worries bud

def
30th April 2005, 08:59 PM
uberweng: ive noticed this problem too. it might just be some bug because nearly all of my times are faster than what it says during the track selection screens. the times in the records table are ok but it seems like the others simply arent being updated. unfortunately i cant really answer your question, i can just confirm im somewhat confused as well ^_^. i suppose it could be the best lap time attained in time trial mode, but i dont know why that time would be used on the selection screen but not on the records tables. maybe one of the dev's could help us out, anyone? btw, glad you like the site, its an ongoing project so you will see constant changes/improvements as time goes on. later.

eLhabib
1st May 2005, 11:39 AM
and don't be givin' me too much credit for it, it's mostly def who's working :wink: thanks def

def
7th May 2005, 06:07 AM
heh. now that thats over, here are some new times.

flash / sebenco / qirex 0.34.66 download (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.flash.sebenco.qirex.0.34.66.zip)
rapier / sol2 / qirex 0.26.17 download (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.rapier.sol2.qirex.0.26.17.zip)
rapier / citta nuova / qirex 0.36.40 download (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.rapier.cittanuova.qirex.0.36.40.zip)

its nearing finals time which is the reason ive been semi-inactive recently. i did put in some work on converting the system to a more fexible format (xml/xsl with php/mysql backend). should be a large update once the semester is over. later, later. ^_^

eLhabib
7th May 2005, 09:23 AM
now he's talking chinese again :D

@ Lance: so where is your answer?

yawnstretch
8th May 2005, 12:50 PM
Yeah summer time should see a ramp up in competitiveness (not to mention September) once other pilots get their money and PSPs together.

I still play wipeout almost every day but not for long and I dont have time for the next few weeks to update ghosts (I barely have time to chek my emails with all the project work we've got!).

Great work on the site though - a strong infrastructure early on makes all the difference :!:

def
11th May 2005, 06:12 PM
we have recently passed 100 ghosts and currently have 210 unique downloads. there has been a battle going on for top position in rapier / sol2 this (http://defaulted.ath.cx/ghost/datafiles/def.rapier.sol2.qirex.0.25.27.zip) is currently the top time. give er' a race. later
( rapier / sol 2 / qirex 0.25.27 def )

eLhabib
11th May 2005, 09:31 PM
wow, 100 ghosts, now that's something! congrats def! come june, I will train my skills again and join in on the fun.

Dimension
26th May 2005, 07:13 AM
hey, uh def... Any chance of adding the Tigron to the ghost sharing site? just a few of my fastest laps are with it, can't be uploading without :( Cheers.

Lion
26th May 2005, 10:25 AM
gotta say I'm in the same boat... quite a few of my best times are with tigron now

eLhabib
26th May 2005, 12:52 PM
it's a frickin' fast ship. I don't like it that much though, because it's quite heavy. tends to sweep to the sides a bit on tight turns.

def
26th May 2005, 10:41 PM
oh, duh i completely forgot to add that when i added staten park and everything, thanks for the reminder. its there now.