PDA

View Full Version : Interesting News Article over at GamesRadar.com

Spiral Motion
6th April 2005, 02:54 PM
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/features/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=35214&subsectionid=1641

Some more news about downloadable content.

Looking good :)

Sausehuhn
6th April 2005, 03:33 PM
look at the pics behind the monitor!!!

>> http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/psp_wipepure46_1.jpg

8O
looks coooool
____

>> http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/psp_wipepure46_3.jpg

look at the t-shirts!
They will make promotion (?)

Spiral Motion
6th April 2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah looks like a Tigron (2nd from left) and a Van-uber craft (right) behind the monitor but I could be wrong.

All I need now is to raise some money to import a psp and Pure.

eLhabib
6th April 2005, 04:39 PM

hmm, the far left looks like an icaras to me, the next clearly is the piranha with livery paintjob, then the zone ship, and the far right one is vanuber for sure!

infoxicated
6th April 2005, 04:47 PM
oooh - three out of four - not bad! ;)

wipeoud
6th April 2005, 04:50 PM
Wow, those photo's and art are the most beautifull things i saw. Who do i have to kill to get those?

eLhabib
6th April 2005, 04:52 PM
hey foxy, stop teasing! tell us already! :wink:

Mobius
6th April 2005, 04:53 PM
Uber Mall?

w00t w00t w00t!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Sausehuhn
6th April 2005, 05:02 PM
Hey Fox,
take your Digi Cam with you when you're in the studios the next time and take a few photos for all the WipEout hungry european people here! :D

def
6th April 2005, 06:19 PM
what i would do to get my hands on those ship vector drawings... man that would make a great shirt... if they would make shirts i would buy all of them i love the graphic design!

Dimension
6th April 2005, 06:42 PM
Mmm, nice. Uber Mall sounds good :twisted:

infoxicated
7th April 2005, 07:06 AM
Hey Fox,
take your Digi Cam with you when you're in the studios the next time and take a few photos for all the WipEout hungry european people here! :D
<sarcasm>What a fantastic idea... I'm sure my boss would approve of industrial espionage!</sarcasm>

Erm... No. Most of the folk in the studio are quite shy - otherwise they'd be posting on here with Linky and Colin already, I imagine. :)

Prometheus
7th April 2005, 11:16 AM
I really hope they make an art book or "the making of Pure" which includes this art work (hey it's been done for doom 3 and half life). Those pictures look awesome! I love the zone ship with the sky background..alost as if it flew straight off the track :)

It would be such a shame if they "lost" the artwork like I heard they did for wip3out. Still have nightmares about some dark figure coming along, picking up a beautifully hand drawn Ag Sys or Goteki45 canvas and just chucking it in the bin :(

cant we start some sort of petition? I'm sure loads of people here would like to buy a book like that, the art work is so amazing!

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 11:22 AM
omg how sweet would it be to have a book called 'The Art of wipE'out'' including everything from the very beginning up to now. concept sheets, team boards, track studies, everything! Man, I would pay A LOT for such a book!

Prometheus
7th April 2005, 11:57 AM
yeah I really think there's a market out there for a book like this, so it cant be a bad investment... The fact that the artwork is a large component of the game justifies publishing a book...
A collection that spans the entire wipeout series would be amazing. I've been collecting wipeout images and media for years now but it's clear that wipeout 1and 2 images/artwork are not very publicised... whether they still exist is a more important question. These forums have been a great source for finding that kind of stuff, but it would seriously push the resources of any pilot here to find as much artwork for the early wipeouts as the recent wipeout efforts. Back then, the internet wasn't as widely available so there were no fancy official webpages (but i knew when i saw wip3out site that they were onto something).

I'll upload some artwork I've collected (but i cant remember where i got them from...)

if anyone else has concept art, be great to upload.

check them...
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=295

I am on the hunt for similar gifs of the 3d auricom of other ship. I know they exist because I used to have them but this was the only one I salvaged from a damaged CD-r..

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 12:20 PM
ooooh, the wipEout 1 pictures are SAWEET!
shame they didn't put that track in the final game... looks ace.

yawnstretch
7th April 2005, 06:07 PM
Heh I remember that image!

Wasnt it in Edge?

Prometheus
7th April 2005, 06:41 PM
I think so. I made a request for this image on the forums a week back. I think they said it was from edge... it was an article about the announcement of wip3out but they used this image. Now if only fusion was like that image... Ps2 is certainly capable of those kind of images and more... such wasted opportunity :( I hope Liverpool studios revisit the PS2 platform before it dies out with another wipeout... perhaps a collectors edition with the artwork and making of as well as all three games and tracks rendered in ps2 engine. If they just jump onto a PS3 then the only thing we'll remember about the PS2 and wipeout is "a big mistake". C'mon Sony!

Egg
7th April 2005, 07:00 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That grinning goon in the GamesRadar article is me, I'm afraid ...

Hi Rob!

Prometheus
7th April 2005, 07:00 PM
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1941&highlight=distant+memory

Sausehuhn
7th April 2005, 07:22 PM
What a fantastic idea... I'm sure my boss would approve of industrial espionage!

yeah, I thought the same way :wink: *lol*

No, really:
do you think we could get some artorks in future? Like it was with Fusion? (look at www.gamekult.com , alot of Fusion artwork, exclusive stuff)

Dimension
7th April 2005, 07:46 PM
So egg, you're an artist doing the PSP downloadable ****? Can't wait to see what you guys have got for us, welcome to the forums :)

*edit* checked your profile, "occupation: ship guy" well that answers my question :)

infoxicated
7th April 2005, 07:50 PM
Egg is the man you have to thank for the great alternative livery versions of the ships in Pure. :)

Egg
7th April 2005, 07:54 PM
Just thought I'd drop by and say hellooo. I read the forum regularly anyway so I figured it was high time I de - lurked !

The Boye
7th April 2005, 07:55 PM
Assegai looks splendid in it's new lick of paint, like an Aph B from VOOT.

Egg
7th April 2005, 08:01 PM
Assegai looks splendid in it's new lick of paint, like an Aph B from VOOT.

It's one of my faves. The Assegai was the first to get a major re-design, losing the little sticky-up cockpit module, giving it a meaner and sleeker look.

It was also the first thing I did on PurE, so it's kind of special :cry: (welling up)

Seek100
7th April 2005, 09:10 PM
Don't have the game yet but from the looks of it all the ship designs look really good, I think it was a good idea to move the Assegai cockpit from that little wing. Also the Feisar looks very nice this time round though I'm not too sure about the alternate livery, still good but I prefer the more 'traditional' standard colour scheme.

BTW one thing I really want to know Egg: did you come up with the shape of the new AG-5Y5? I mean where you told to just go nuts or did someone higher up force the new design on you and you just filled in the details? Cuz every AG-5Y5 has had a completely different design, the single hull triangle in w'o" the split and flared nose version in 2097, the really pointy one with a massive nose in w3o and now this really quite cool froward and rear hull layout with a connecting spar, so I figure maybe whoever designs the ships for each game gets to have some fun with AG-5Y5 or am I completely wrong?

Shem
7th April 2005, 09:17 PM
Egg - may the Lord pay you in children for the awesome alternative paintjobs ! Ag-systems looks like it should. Welcome to the forums mate!

About the images:
Prometheus, is there a chance you have some more of that kind of images? I mean, if you have more of them than just those which you'd uploaded on the site of course.

Egg
7th April 2005, 09:19 PM
I can't take all the credit for the AGSystems - its new shape was decided by the time I came to the project. All the ships underwent a lot of streamlining from there on, though.

Apart from the Feisar -- Thou shall not frig with the Feisar ( WipEout Bible, 10:13 )

Shem
7th April 2005, 09:23 PM
:lol:

Chill
7th April 2005, 09:26 PM
I've always loved Assegai's design and colors from wo3, it gives me a feeling like I live in Brazil, in a jungle like atmosphere, it put so much of a better effect on wo3 for me, that it's just pathetic. :cry:

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 09:27 PM
Egg is the man you have to thank for the great alternative livery versions of the ships in Pure. :)

THANK YOU. YOU ROCK.

Spiral Motion
7th April 2005, 09:31 PM
Great work with the ship designs and it's nice to see the developers post on here.
Each of the crafts look very individual without going too far off the rails as I feel happened with Fusions designs.

I've really gotta stop reading the forums all the time as it's just making me wanna import the game and a psp even more!

I guess us Europeans will just have to hold out for a bit longer. At least we know that with all the positive feedback the game has recieved it'll be worth the wait.

Egg
7th April 2005, 09:35 PM
Well, both sets of Liveries are down to me ( even the ones people don't like :wink: ).

My favourites of the "advanced" liveries are Auricom and Harimau, I'd say. I spent years on Formula One games, and that was the inspiration for both. The AG Systems was refined from ideas from our illustrious Graphic Designers. They did the box-art version, too.

That's what being part of a team is all about!

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 09:43 PM
is it on purpose that the normal liveries look a bit worn and the extra ones are all shiny, or am I seeing things?

Egg
7th April 2005, 09:46 PM
No you're not seeing things - the alternates are designed to look sleeker and shinier with less wear and tear. Reserved for only the best pilots, perhaps?

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 09:47 PM
oh how very sweet of you :clap
and I'm glad it wasn't just me freaking about them...

Egg
7th April 2005, 10:11 PM
BTW that's not a Piranha or a Tigron in the second picture across ... :twisted:

gbit
7th April 2005, 10:16 PM
Mega Mall is coming to Pure! 8) My favorite wo track, after Gare d' Europa, is Mega Mall.

wo Pure's brilliance is now even more complete than it was. Yup.

Many thanks to the team in Liverpool.

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 10:20 PM
well it sure isn't the vanuber, and it's to bulky for an icaras, means it has to be the goteki, if we really do get the four teams which have avatars here on this site. but apart from being yellow, it doesn't really resemble a goteki, so my guess is, it's either a xios or something completely new.

how 'bout that?

oh, and egg, or someone else who worked on pure, please take a look at this thread http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2059 and tell me if I'm right. thank you.

Egg
7th April 2005, 10:31 PM
If you need a closer look at the pic, win one of the golds ( can't remember which )

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 10:41 PM
I already have that gold, it's single race gold on sagarmatha in rapier. but I still can't figure it out. most likely xios or maybe goteki (judging by the colors).

def
7th April 2005, 10:49 PM
on top of the sagarmatha gold there is another pic of it:
ship in q / time trial / flash / vineta k / gold

and here are some others:
van uber / single race / phantom / sinucit / gold
van uber / time trial / flash / manor top / gold
zone ship / single race / rapier / sebenco climb / gold
icaras / time trial / rapier / sagarmatha / gold

eLhabib
7th April 2005, 11:09 PM
on top of the sagarmatha gold there is another pic of it:
ship in q / time trial / flash / vineta k / gold
you're right! and judging from the G logo I guess it's the new goteki. hmmm, doesn't resemble w3o's goteki at all though...

Prometheus
8th April 2005, 12:27 AM
cool, welcome to the forums egg!
The artwork on display there is just amazing, we realy appreciate it when a lot of conisderation is taken in the art side of Wipeout, it always been important and I'm glad to see it still considered a serious part of the game.
Btw what do you think about a wipeout artbook? from what i can tell, artwork is a bonus award for getting certain medals in pure. Were there other art pieces (hand drawn and rendered) by other people too? Do you think its a good idea to make these kind of things as its never really been done in wipeout before and yet the game so deserves and artbook.

Also do you know if any of the art from previous wipeout survived at all. I'm thinking the "missing" wip3out art is a cover up by Sony who are holding back all the art work internally... still have nightmares about the discarded wip3out canvas... :(

Now if they printed the original wipeout art or renders from the first 2 games... man...

About images:
Shem I'll try to upload some images of the advertisement campaign of the various wipeout series and a few more pics... does anyone know what the poster campaign for wip3out was like? wipeout was the chick with the bloody nose, wipeout XL was "trouser wetting", fusion was the stupid track in London, pure...well... I'm keeping my eyes peeled. but 3 just escapes me...

Prometheus
8th April 2005, 12:30 AM
ok new ones are official fusion CG renders...

edit:
not sure if this still works...its 11megs, the wip3out promo pack
http://www.kallman.net/misc/wipeout3_promo.zip

Dimension
8th April 2005, 04:43 AM
ooh, some cool goodies in that pack, nice one prometheus!

Question that'll probably not be allowed to be answered, but will the downloadable ships have any alternative liveries? oh and also will there be any extra development sketches and such in the downloadables? Hnn... must... get... insight! :pirate

Rapier Racer
8th April 2005, 11:01 AM
If the second ship from the left is the Goteki then whats the one on the far right with the yellow background?

eLhabib
8th April 2005, 01:25 PM
van-über

Sausehuhn
8th April 2005, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the forums Egg! :)

Question:
is it Van Über or Van Uber in Pure?

Rapier Racer
8th April 2005, 01:50 PM
Is it? **** and there was me thinking that blue thing was Van-Uber

Brother Laz
8th April 2005, 01:59 PM
Shem I'll try to upload some images of the advertisement campaign of the various wipeout series and a few more pics... does anyone know what the poster campaign for wip3out was like? wipeout was the chick with the bloody nose, wipeout XL was "trouser wetting", fusion was the stupid track in London, pure...well... I'm keeping my eyes peeled. but 3 just escapes me...

Try 'VEHICULAR MINDSLAUGHTER'... ;)

Prometheus
8th April 2005, 04:39 PM
searched in google and didn't turn anything up... any other search engines i could try?
if you have any pics, I'd be grateful if you could share them.

btw, when did the wip3out page come back... i remember trying it ages ago and it was just not working...

www.wip3out.com

Sausehuhn
8th April 2005, 04:41 PM
@ Prometheus
here you will find more than at wip3out.com:

>> http://www.kleber.net/wipeout3/

Prometheus
8th April 2005, 11:56 PM
hmm i found this on some mindless wipeout image search i did... it's a wip3out poster.. but I gotta say I'm not totally convinced its for real... the background image I think they used in magazine articles and covers.. some press pack of something. But I have never seen this particular advertisement... where as the others definately ring a bell and the slogan "Vehicular Mindslaughter" is familar too..
anyway its on my file share

Were there ever poster adverstisements for wip3out? I just dont remember any...if you remember, please describe.. may jog my memory :)

Chill
9th April 2005, 01:29 AM
LOL, Channel 97, like their is a large chance to have a channel only 2 digits long in that year. :lol: Should be more like channel 2637, or some long random number. And why would Wipeout be free to watch anyway?!! :evil: It's to good for that!! :x

Lance
9th April 2005, 02:18 AM
perhaps it would be free to watch because advertisers supported it financially, just as they do with racing in our era. even spectators who buy tickets to attend a race in person pay only a very small part of the costs to put on a race. those who watch it remotely on broadcast pay nothing. why would it be in different in the future as long as our economic structure stays similar to what it is now? if on the other hand, society evolved into something like the world[s] of Star Trek, The Next Generation, in which there is no money-based economy and people only work as a hobby, then racing would be even more completely free of charge

Seek100
9th April 2005, 02:57 AM
We know that there's money in the future of wipEout due to several references to it in interviews and bits and pieces of history scattered about the games, but I don't think things have become Blade-Runner-esque where people live in misery and the Earth is a s***hole, it seems the economies of the world function much as they do now.

Dimension
9th April 2005, 03:55 AM
Well I guess stuff like the Red Bull and Kappa adverts are there to show the advertising of companies will be there, pretty safe to assume that it'll be as Lance says, paid for by advertising 8O

tapioca
9th April 2005, 04:02 AM
For Prometheus and Sausehuhn, this is an french ad for wip3out. The scan is not perfect but my original wasn’t either, and as i kept it folded for a few years, i had to do a bit of image cleaning. I hardly remembered i had this in a dark drawer.
Here's the link :
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=866

Hi-fi, maybe Sci-fi… No Wi-fi yet.

tapioca
9th April 2005, 04:21 AM
Anyone can have a look, of course…
It reminds me of a funny thing here in france : many people tought that the name of the game was unpronounceable. They desperately tried to include "trois" (french word for three) in the middle of the name. À la française, the result was something like weep-trrwa-oot, for people who never heard of the game series.
Of course same thing happened recently for driv3r.
French people…

Lance
9th April 2005, 04:52 AM
''weep-trrwa-oot''
[falls over on the floor laffin]

hm... alternate pronunciation: we poot?
[giggles][sorta][but in a manly way]

Chill
9th April 2005, 06:18 AM
These pics are cool!! :P Thanx u guys for posting them! :wink:

@ Lance & Dimension: Ya, I guess the population would be larger enough to get enough money from advertisements. At least I think it would be more exciting than NASCAR racing, or horse racing, or motorcycle racing, or any other racing. :wink: Although I do love to watch track, I run track, so I love seeing others experiance the pain I have to every day. :wink: (sliding OFF TOPIC:) I love running track, and then playing Zone by the way, it's the ultimate heart-rush!! Sweat poors down as my breathing deepens around every corner, deeper and deeper at faster and faster speeds. Something I live for. :P

Mano
9th April 2005, 06:39 AM

8O
looks coooool

Yes, but..

Im busy looking at the monitor!!, thats a great b/w scene! very good artwork Egg!

Dimension
9th April 2005, 07:16 AM
heheh, weep trout :lol: Funny thing is I've heard peeps trying to pronounce the three here too, the old "Wipe-three-out... no... Wip-three-out... no... wipethrout..." funny stuff :)

Prometheus
9th April 2005, 01:38 PM
woah, Tapioca!
that's absolutely amazing... I've never seen that ad over here in the UK... but it certainly is an eye catcher. I'm starting to doubt there aver was a wip3out poster campaign.. surely it would be eveywhere if i type wip3out in a search engine... but no luck.. just reviews. The slogan Vehicular Mindslaughter is driving me potty... its so familiar...I just cant put an image to the slogan....argh...
i've uploaded a new file with a few bits and bobs I've collected on wip3out over the years.. I've been through a few desktops since i started this collection so all media is scrambled across discs, old archives and current ones... should really gather it together.

anyway, the new files are in an archice called wip3out bits and bobs. it inlcudes some small res shots of wip3out during development when they just stuck a 2097 feisar model and weapons in to test the track and GUI... it's trippy to look at. There's also some untextured maps in wip3out too and the pit lane when it was red...man i love these kind of pics, makes you see what they did to develop the game.
again, my call for wip3out adverts continues (as does my own hunt) but Tapioca, thanks for keeping my collection complete, feel a little more whole now :)

Dogg Thang
9th April 2005, 02:20 PM
Well where I was there was a massive WO3 campaign. They had bought all of the poster space on certain train stations. Can't remember the slogans but it was all minimalist tDR stuff. No fancy pics.

tapioca
9th April 2005, 02:25 PM
To reassure french folk about its reputation, you have to know that common people pronounce it just the way it should be : wipe-out. Even in france, and i hope it's the same for the rest of the world.
Anyway, it might have been problematic as they didn’t use it anymore for WO3: SE

I wonder what was the situation for se7en, or many others using the same kind of trick. See what i mean ? AG-5y5, xlr8, com8. However, people seem to get used to it nowadays, understanding that it's nothing more than graphico-linguo-fantasy. I hate it when it's becoming too systematic, though.
But this is going off topic, let's get back to Pure.

UncleZeiv
9th April 2005, 03:26 PM
now that I think about it... there has been a wip3out tv commercial aired in italy... or was it fusion? maybe the latter. it featured blurred images and portrayed wo as some sort of lsd-like experience :dizzy

Spiral Motion
9th April 2005, 04:18 PM
Just to add to the Wip3out promotion collection, here's two magazine adverts I've found.

Teaser Ad: (apologies for a poor scan, it was a double page spread)

http://img110.exs.cx/img110/2567/wip3outposter38cg.th.jpg (http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=wip3outposter38cg.jpg)

Another Ad: (Really nice this one, hadn't seen it in ages)

http://img110.exs.cx/img110/6590/wip3outposter352or.th.jpg (http://img110.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img110&image=wip3outposter352or.jpg)

I'll keep on searching my old magazines for more but I think that may be it.

Enjoy!

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting (http://www.imageshack.us)

Chill
9th April 2005, 04:33 PM

8O
Man, that monitor he's using would be fun to mess with!! 8O And all those pics in the background as well as on the monitor, ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! :P Freakn' awesome!!!!

Prometheus
9th April 2005, 04:52 PM
Spiral that's excellent! I don't even remember seeing these around but they look awesome (plus its always good wipeout throws a surprise or two, a few years down the line)

loving the teaser. I'm getting the impression there wasn't much of a theme for the poster campaign, I mean we have a teaser with fire in one, arms with the PS symbols, the red hifi looking one, and the TV channel one which to me still looks like a mock up (the background was used on a few magazine, so maybe it was a press pack image)

anywho's if there are anymore out there, keep em coming, be interesting to see what the marketing people were trying to convey for this one.
:)

Rapier Racer
9th April 2005, 06:32 PM
was this poster ever used for anything, appart form making my wall look sweeeet

its double sided, on the other side i think there is the same picture thats on the WO 3 game cover but its not coming off the wall becasue the pins hurt lol

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=735

eLhabib
9th April 2005, 06:39 PM
hey that one's SHWEET!

Dimension
9th April 2005, 07:33 PM
Nice, those are some cool images AD and Spiral Motion, I especially like the front view of the Gotekias and Feisar, very cool :D

Prometheus
9th April 2005, 09:51 PM
OMG... ok definately remember that poster,man think I own it! I remember having that up on my wall in my old flat..sweet mother of God, you've jogged my memory! Funny how it was staring at me for a good few years, one house move and my mind blocks it out completely LOL
Anywho's I'll definetely be looking for that poster to put up again... but weren't these used in stores? I can't imagine this one was on the street or underground.
Anywho's AD thanks for jogging my memory... gonna tear my flat apart to find this one and restore it to it's rightful place :)

Chill
9th April 2005, 10:21 PM
I love that poster! :P It captures the feeling of Wip3out so well, with the foggy-like colors. It brings the atmosphere of Wip3out in from the game to the poster for me. :wink:

Rapier Racer
10th April 2005, 02:15 PM
It's a lovely poster isn't it :D only thing I could say bad about it is the fact that there are 3 Feisars on it, they could have had a bit more variation with the teams, I know which ship I’d liked to have seen there…

Prometheus
10th April 2005, 02:17 PM
kinda reminds me how things could have been if they did fusion right... the graphics look like something the ps2 can render...sigh.. what could have been

edit: sorry to redirect but thought you Id share summit with you guys, was wondering if i could ever upload this
http://s14.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2AGR00A5WABK915C3BJDMX43YO

Dimension
11th April 2005, 05:15 AM
what track is that on about Prometheus? I dunno exactly what's on the soundtrack :wink: That circuit looks pretty cool too 8O

Prometheus
11th April 2005, 08:33 AM
music track, it's Hong Kong Trash- Down the River. Race track, I think it's Florian Heights... but I don't own fusion

infoxicated
11th April 2005, 09:22 AM
At the risk of driving this further off topic, I created an alternative topic for these Wipeout 3 posters:
http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29504#29504

Prometheus
11th April 2005, 10:33 AM
thanks infoxicated, I was starting to see this topic go off a bit.. a question for egg, what is that picture your working on? looks like some comic art work... did all you're drawing go into the PSP as bonus material?

Egg
11th April 2005, 05:55 PM
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill ya.

Dimension
13th April 2005, 12:36 PM
Go on then, I think we can all live with the sacrafice of Prometheus for some juicy info, alas poor Prometheus :lol: Don't worry promethues, we'll not forget you rofl. j/k :roll:

Lance
13th April 2005, 02:06 PM
LOL
Alistair, remind me not to race against you. :D

Prometheus
13th April 2005, 10:50 PM
hang on a minute, did i just get consigned the death penalty in this thread? LOL egg, if you give me a copy pure and a psp to complete, all the original artwork that you've done and art from all the wipeouts past in one artbook as well as reveal the secrets, well... i consider my life complete... ahem.. :)

Dimension
14th April 2005, 05:30 PM
hang on a minute, did i just get consigned the death penalty in this thread? LOL

yes, I think you did, don't worry though, i meant it in the nicest possble way );

Prometheus
14th April 2005, 05:36 PM
cheers Dimension. I'm glad we got that cleared up hehe

Egg
17th April 2005, 09:13 PM
art from all the wipeouts past in one artbook

An artbook might be a good idea - but how many would it sell? And it would be a pretty thin book. There really isn't the wealth of artwork in WipEout that might be required for a Star Wars movie or a Final Fantasy game!

It's up to our marketing people in the end. So shout at Nino !!!! :lol:

Concept
17th April 2005, 09:25 PM
All I can say is look at the likes of Half-Life 2, Oddworld or Silent Hill.

Each of those games have featured prominent artbooks, and having seen the amount of sketches and art that was provided as reward for all the Gold medals in Pure I'd say there's probably enough. Add all those images to some of the material tDR produced, and then you're talking about the right amount that would fill a decent sized coffee-table book.

Of course, legal issues and copyright of said images over the span of the series might be difficult to sort, considering Psygnosis have been absorbed into Sony, and as far as I know, tDR refuse to have anything to do with the series anymore.

Prometheus
18th April 2005, 12:01 AM
it's a shame tDR wants to distance itself from wipeout... I can understand they don't want to be known just for that but I think it's real ground breaking kinda project... I mean i don't know of many design companies who help make computer games.. particularly back then. And i can't imagine them saying no to having their work publicised in a book. It's like at least 5 or so year old and at most 10 years (!) of work. But maybe their attitude has changed and they've become stuck up, who knows.
Perhaps art can be made for the book? something special that can only be found in the book. The theme boards I saw of that Triakis ship looked nice. Some proper design diagrams like orthogaphic views of the ships. some technical diagrams that were used as overlays in the intro video. And it doesn't have to be just the game. I have pictures of official wip3out club wear (wasn't there a diagram of the Triakis logo on a shirt on one of your theme boards egg?)
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/media/gamesradar/psp_wipepure46_3.jpg

Admittedly the early art for wipeout 1 and 2 would be hard if not impossible to find, but i think the effort should be made to produce a gathered collection, I'm sure enough people out there have collected the pictures and press packs. If book sales are that big an issue why not package it into a limited edition (metal?) case and call it the wipeout pure 10th anniversary edition or something with a copy of pure.
I agree with concept, to prove how much I love these limited edition thingies, check out my file share for a file called Limited Editions

People will buy it if there's enough content in there and with 10 years running. I'm sure it's possible.
Some commentary from the artists would be good too. I read the making of Doom 3 book and it ust blew me away how much was art was in there.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that this art for pure shoudn't be discarded like previous wipeouts. Many of use here would kill for stuff like that and if anyone can appreciate it the most, its the fans.
One last thing (promise :)) a few years back there was an exhibition held in London at the Institute of Contemporary Arts about a Playstation 2 game (some gothic version of tombraider where the leading charcater morphed into beast or something) anyway, they had a very large gallery of renders and artwork that just amazed me. And that was one game with no real big name to it. Imagine what wipeout could do!

eLhabib
18th April 2005, 12:10 AM
I believe that game was 'Primal' and it was a very VERY nice game, too. way better than tomb raider ever got.

Seek100
18th April 2005, 01:31 AM
tDR don't distance themselves from wipEout - you can find all their past projects on their site but as I understand it the people who were in tDR back when Psygnosis was making the first 3 games have long since departed tDR, I recall an anecdote about the development of Fusion, I think it was on these boards in fact, apparently SL invited tDR to pitch for the contract for Fusion but whoever was incharge of tDr by then basically said we don't pitch for projects, we do them or we don't. So they didn't. It seems to me more like SL is distancing itself from tDR and they should distance themselves IMO; I've seen so many reviews where the idiot reviewers give tDR the credit for things like designing the ships in the early wipEouts. (!?)

Psygnosis have been absorbed into SCE as Concept said and so there's really no problem there, as SCE owns Studio Liverpool aswell.

Things like the detailed plan views of ships would be brilliant along with the concept art we've seen as unlockables in Fusion and purE.

Similar artbooks have done quite well especially when packaged with games, I bought the Half-Life 2 one which included concept art and text by the developers and artists about both HL games, the books on their own would probably only attract geeky fans like me but bundle it with the game either on release or as Prometheus says as some kind of special edition (with one of those daft metal tins) and it should be quite possible to turn a profit.

Prometheus
18th April 2005, 02:56 AM
Yes that was it, Primal, I played it for a bit but I just remembered the nice artwork on the walls

interesting info about the tDR wipeout split... to be honest I think it was a bit cheeky to get tDR to do a pitch... I dunno about the distancing thing. I mean the in house team on Pure have done a brilliant job but it I always thought of wipeout as a mix of media and without a design studio, just feels odd. Then again, if tDR aren't doing it, I guess no one else should really (Good...*cough*....technology....*cough cough* :))

...daft metal tins?..... :cry: *picks up and hugs his quake 3 tin case* you're just jealous :) j/k

Seek100
18th April 2005, 01:15 PM
Nah I got the T2 DVD in the daft tin and still don't like 'em.

I don't think it was cheeky at all to ask tDR to pitch for the contract for Fusion as they're not necessarily the best design house there is, though certainly GT made a right dog's dinner of the logos/menus/title for Fusion but from what I've heard about people leaving tDR it sounds like the talent that made them so well known and respected have left and started their own graphic design studios.

Dogg Thang
18th April 2005, 01:26 PM
Well whether you think that, from Sony's point of view, it was right to ask tDR to pitch or not - if I were tDR, and my work had been so integrated into the product as it was in W3O and I had been involved in the project since just before the release of the first one, you can bet my nose would be out of joint being asked to pitch for it. It's not like they hadn't proven what they were capable of.

I'm in a job where pitching for work is standard. Pitching for brand new business is one thing. Pitching for work you've been doing for 7 years or so is insulting. The only times that should happen is if there is a complete and total change of direction. Maybe that was Sony's plan but history shows that wasn't such a clever idea.

Seek100
18th April 2005, 01:42 PM
Well regardless of our opinion on SCE's decision to go in a new, ultimately failed direction, with the franchise; the fact of the matter is that they wanted to be sure that Fusion would not just be a rehash of a series with flagging sales, face it w3o didn't perform as good as 2097 people had lost interest in wipEout and even now it has no where near the level of popularity it had back in the period 95-98 when the first 2 games were around. From their point of view a fresh take on the series was needed and that included the graphic design element of the games.

Some of the new direction wasn't a complete failiure with Fusion, some of the ideas had merit - Zone is certainly still popular, the music was a huge leap up from the IMO lacklustre soundtack for w3o, some of the ship design wasn't bad. The oft maligned and frankly ludicrous track design could have been accomplished without butchering the physics engine and handling model, but I guess they just wanted to copy F-Zero or something which has always had much more outrageous track design. The problem with Fusion was that they changed the core gameplay of the series, most of the complaints I've seen on the zone and my own problems with the game are centred around the handling model and physics engine and the rather comic style of the characters and ships. The new direction failed because they cut to far into the heart of the gameplay, stuff like logos and menus needs change every now and then so I think it's probably for the best that they decided not to just trust in the almighty wisdom of tDR :roll: and try and find somebody else. As I understand it tDR acted as if they were simply too good to lower themselves to pitching for any project, especially some lowly computer game.

Dogg Thang
18th April 2005, 01:49 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not questioning Sony's motives to go for something different. I'm simply saying if I were tDR I would have reacted the same way. They worked with them for three games. Either their work was good enough and they should have been kept on or their work wasn't good enough, in which case they should have just been dropped outright. Dropping them outright and saying they are looking for a change of direction would have been preferable (and absolutely fair) to asking them to pitch in my opinion.

Pitching amounts to doing a lot of hard work for free. Sometimes that just isn't worth the hassle.

Like I said that's just coming from the perspective of someone who has to pitch for work at times.

Concept
18th April 2005, 03:49 PM
I think as has been mentioned earlier, Studio Liverpool probably wouldn't accept tDR back easily, because it would (partially at the very least) limit the role their own graphic designers play in terms of menu and icon design.

I remember Colin Berry stating a number of times on the forums here that he's pissed off that people easily credit tDR with all the artwork in Wipeout. Having said that, I think my earlier statement before about tDR not wanting anything to do with the series any more is probably wrong. I had a look on their site earlier and they've produced an artbook with IDEA magazine from Japan, and during the preview it showed them quite evidently placing their work in Wipeout for an important place in this book. Unfortunately, it's sold out already. ><

To be honest, would any of us have significantly noticed the difference with Pure if we'd been told TDR were behind it or not? The fact is the team have reclaimed Wipeout's traditional art style for themselves, and with Pure, they appear to have slotted themselves somewhere in between 2097 and 3 stylistically. I believe the standard is high enough in Pure that tDR probably weren't necessary for this particular title.

I would like to see them back in a potential next-generation PS3 Wipeout though, even if it meant pride on certain sides had to be swallowed. We all know that when both Psygnosis and tDR were in their prime there wasn't another game out there that looked quite like WIpeout.

It'd be nice if a part of that period could be recaptured or invented for the here and now, along with a reintegration (or recreation) of parts within the old handling system.

Egg
19th April 2005, 09:19 PM
Having graphic designers in-house is much more convenient. It worked reallly well on PurE from a workflow perspective. Once the design started rolling in, we had no problem applying it to the ships, tracks, billboards, menus and so on.

Of course, there's e-mail and video conferencing to make working with exterior designers easier than ever. But it's much more productive when you can go and sit around people's desks, and work things out with designers who are not detached from the project, but are there as the game evolves day to day.

You can always be sure everyone's on the same page ( hate that phrase ! )

Purist
19th April 2005, 09:58 PM
Egg, I could be sitting next to you in the restaurant and I wouldn't even know it so I ask it here, no-one else seems to have.

Just how long did the WOP development take from start to finish? :roll:

Egg
21st April 2005, 05:54 PM
It took about 18 months or so. I came onto the project a year ago, but we didn't have any PSP kits until about last August or thereabouts.
Before that,we got the game working on an OpenGL-based emulator. Then it was a mad push to get all the graphics working on the PSP -- which required a lot of heart-breaking texture reduction :cry:

Prometheus
23rd April 2005, 12:32 PM
openGL based emulator? you mean psp code running on an emulator or just an opengl mock up to reference to till the actual kits arrived? the thought of pure running in openGL just has me stunned! every emulator fans dream come true :)

Egg
23rd April 2005, 12:42 PM
That's where those hi-res screenshots came from.

Sausehuhn
23rd April 2005, 01:36 PM
I
WANT
THAT
EMULATOR!!!

any chance to get it ;)

Egg
23rd April 2005, 01:52 PM
You'll have to ask Linky!

Where's a coder when you need one....

Sausehuhn
23rd April 2005, 02:06 PM
I will do that if you could get me his e-mail adress and a way to rip files form a UMD. :lol: