PDA

View Full Version : Question voor psp/pure owners who played the old wipeouts

wipeoud
2nd April 2005, 10:42 PM
I was wondering, now that you have bought a psp/pure. Arent you spoiled now by its graphics? I mean after seeing Pure. Can you sit down and play WO3 again. Or do you think now "damned what a big step back", where is the off button.

Does it change(d) the way you looked at Wo3?

Task
2nd April 2005, 10:53 PM
Ha-ha-ha-ha! That's funny!

I don't have a PSP yet, but I DO have Fusion. I certainly wasn't "spoiled" by its pretty graphics. And just to ram the point home a little harder, guess which is my favourite WO to do challenges on? Wipeout! That's right, the ancient original! With the blocky graphics and pop-up and really bad wuss-wagon detection. Even though it "looks bad", I enjoy the _feel_ of the original. Graphics are irrelevant!

Although it cannot be denied, Pure is damn pretty. I'm looking forward to it.

No matter how pretty it is though, I'm not going to stop playing WO3SE whenever I get the chance. 8 )

gbit
2nd April 2005, 11:03 PM
Yup, I feel the same way. However, I play wo 3se on an emulator at 1024x768 with 4x antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. So even for a ps one game, it looks real smooth.

But when it comes to special effects and such, pure blows its predecessors away!

TMoney
2nd April 2005, 11:20 PM
gbit,

Which emulator are you running this on? I'd love to try it.

Tye

yawnstretch
3rd April 2005, 12:34 PM
Well I recently was given a Negcon so the originals still hold promise for me... but

Pure is so great that every time I come here to write something Im reminded that Im NOT playing and have to finish my posts really quickly.

Graphics good, music good, gameplay good (but tough) - the predecessors may finally get a break!

Concept
3rd April 2005, 12:40 PM
2097 and 3 both have strong art direction. That'll never change. Just as Pure will always be artistically very strong.

Advancement of technology doesn't distract from a successful vision in achieving a conceptual aim. The very best games in this area will be able to surpass time.

gbit
3rd April 2005, 10:59 PM
TMoney, I play wo3se on ePSXe (www.epsxe.com).

But I play Wipeout Pure on a real psp, that I had to buy at the shops :).

zargz
3rd April 2005, 11:34 PM
However, I play wo 3se on an emulator at 1024x768 with 4x antialiasing and anisotropic filtering. So even for a ps one game, it looks real smooth.Even on a normal tv set wo3/se looks Good > it's highres!!! 8)
Try play it on a widescreen tv! 8O !! you'll like it!
Two players on splitscreen looks great too > better than many other psx games! ;)
Also if you play wo3/se on a ps2 there are options that allow you to get better grafix and faster loading times
though wo3/se has got the fastest of all wipeouts for the psx >
> they are by not much longer than pures judging by the mandrashee and sagarmatha movies I saw today 8)

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

def
4th April 2005, 01:11 AM
gbits in canada so, like me he probably has no reasonable way other than emulation to play wo3:se. I would love to play se on a real playstation on a real tv, but that would take a miracle or a 800 dollar pal-ntsc conversion box thing.

TMoney
4th April 2005, 02:58 AM
I have WO3 SE -

All it takes is a cheap used PSOne that somebody modded....

Chill
4th April 2005, 02:59 AM
I, to answer wipeoud's question, also wouldn't care, and would always go back to the old versions, they're just too good!! :P

Thruster2097
4th April 2005, 07:38 AM
I have to make a very negative comment toward :wipeoud for this message.

Every wipeout is unique, and therefore irreplaceable.
Have you even got a psp? If you did have, you wouldnt need me to tell you that W3's resoultion is superior to Pure, and the graphic and art direction for W3 look a whole lot better too.

That said, my favourite of the series is 2097.
I would gladly choose this over pure because it has something far more important than resolution, or framerate, or any of the other techhie crap you idiots seem to be whining about...... it has soul.

Moral of the story?
WipEout did not have ANY resoultion, and it is still popular.
Get a clue.

Lance
4th April 2005, 08:08 AM
*hands Thrusty a tall cold one, a copy of 'The Way of Zen' by Alan Watts, a Valium, and brings up a comfy chair.*

Chill
4th April 2005, 08:15 AM
it has soul.
Yes!!! That's what I'm talkn' about!!! :o Go Thrusty!! :D That's exactly what Wipeout is about, it's got soul!!! :wink:

Concept
4th April 2005, 09:10 AM
I have to make a very negative comment toward :wipeoud for this message.

Every wipeout is unique, and therefore irreplaceable.
Have you even got a psp? If you did have, you wouldnt need me to tell you that W3's resoultion is superior to Pure, and the graphic and art direction for W3 look a whole lot better too.

You reckon? Pure for me combines 2097 and 3's best parts in terms of art direction into one solid package. It's the pinnacle of the series in this regard, and all the more outstanding when you think the designer's republic had no hand in terms of menu layout/graphic design.

The colour scheme for example in Pure, mixes the exaggerated bright neons from 2097 along with the very delicate pastels from 3. You can see it in the skies and in the close landmarks.

The weakest for me in terms of art direction is Fusion and then Wipeout.

I also agree that Wipeout has plenty of soul. There's something very unique about it and the series contains a world I'd love for Studio Liverpool to explore in an adventure/rpg/free-roaming non-linear game.

Sven
4th April 2005, 07:59 PM
The old Wipeout graphics never really looked that dated to me. Not like Gran Turismo was against GT3, anyway. Wipeout has always looked fantastic.

pseudonym
4th April 2005, 10:56 PM
I played wipEout, 2097 and wip3out at the weekend, and was shocked at how dated the graphics looked. Rugged shards of polygons that would be unbearable today if not held together by the quality of its physics, gameplay, music and concept.

Was pleasantly surprised to get 1st in every circuit on each game, though I haven't played any of them for years. Like riding a bike :)

I also have to say that although the other games in the series have different approaches here and there (art direction, physics, music), which are all subjectively judgeable as being better/worse than Pure's approach, for an overall experiece, Pure is easily the most satisfying game so far.

Seek100
5th April 2005, 01:22 AM
Hehe, sorry pseudonym but I'm shocked at how 'spoilt' you sounded in that post ridiculing the graphics in 2097 and w3o, I've recently been playing a lot of old Amiga games like 1992 or earlier. And upon firing up 3SE the graphics are in another world compared to the ol' Amiga. :D

In any case purE looks in terms of polygon count and texture quality to be about the same standard as 2097 or w3o, the textures are infact laughably bad for today's standards, if purE were on a home console it would never sell but for a handheld it's revolutionary I suppose.

I must say though that even after playing the latest all-graphics-no-game piece of bloatwarethe old wipEout games don't look dated, especially if you put them up against contemporary games e.g. look at Tekken and then compare it to wipEout, they look a few generations apart.

gbit
5th April 2005, 03:38 AM
To be honest, I care little for the limitations the ps one hardware placed on wo 1,2,3/se.

All of them had a 'look' that was entirely cohesive, and (by default) utterly cool :).

The best part, however, and the reason I still play these games that are now more than 4 years old, is the gameplay. The racing, and the skill required to be fast.

Chill
5th April 2005, 08:41 PM
Of course, Wipeout was made on the base of skill, it's a lot like playing an instrument, you have to push the buttons at certain times, and you have to use you fingers with the buttons at odd points, such as firing a weapon off right after an extremely sharp turn. I play the guitar, so I can see a huge similarity between the two. In order to keep a good flow (down the track or along in a song), you need skill. So, basically, Wipeout and Guitar were nearly built upon the same concept: the right coordination at the right time. :wink: So, the music adds to the feeling of success when doing a certain part well. The music is set at high standards: fast pace, high atmosphere based, so if you were to crash, it would clash with the music, thus making you feel your mistake much more serius that what it actually is, and the music motivates you to do your best, just like the music made by the guitar would make you motivate you to do your best, you certainly don't want to loose the feeling of the sound. :wink: So, Wipeout will always feel wonderful, because it isn't build on anything that needs higher standards of graphics, but something of the right mixture of things to produce skill. I could play Wipeout for hours, just as I could play guitar for hours. Sure, the start feels like work, but once you get better, it's a lot of joy, and it really pays off. This is at least my view on why graphics aren't the most important in Wipeout. :) ^This is probably why Zargz likes Wipeout and Guitar^. :wink:

djb
5th October 2005, 11:13 PM
you know, i never thought about this before, but you are right, i also play guitar, and the immesive feelings i get while playing wipeout are similar, its almost like your soul bypasses your brain, and directly controls your hands. i only get this with a negcon though, very interesting, oh and playing fusion was like playing with a paving slab for a pick! :P

Zebula77
8th October 2005, 01:36 AM
Hehe, well. After playing Pure, I went back to all the earlier versions again. They still play beautifully, and have aged very well. They're still fast and smooth and the tracks are...well, they're the same classics I've always loved. :D
Sure, some of it is nostalgia, but I honestly believe that if you're going to play a bunch of old PSone games, the Wipeout ones will shine as the best.

Having said that, I still feel that Pure is the best. It feels great, looks f*cking great and some of the tracks, like Sol 2, are instant classics in my book.
And of course the downloadable content insures almost limitless replayability.

syckls
8th October 2005, 04:06 AM
I went through a sizable period of nostalgia before I became enthralled by Metal Gear Solid 2. Due to the fairly considerable attribute of youth, my definition of nostalgia is N64-PS1 generation. I played Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis, and Wipeout. It was in this period that I also got my hands on all the US Wipeout games. I still crave WO3:SE however. (By the way, whoever offered to sell me their old PAL PS1, I am still interested! Exorbitantly high shipping is the only obstacle.)

Anyway, back to the point. The fact that I was able to go back and enjoy all these old games over again is merely a testament to the philosophy of "gameplay over graphics." It really does make a difference. I still need to unlock everything in them, but my rather long absence from Wipeouting has stymied me a bit.

Shem
8th October 2005, 06:35 AM
I'm with Task on this. In fact, i can honestly say that i like to play in low-res, as it completely doesn't bother me at all, what's more it gives the game that 'special' feeling. Add to it the fact that we're talking about Wipeout, and there you go! A classic, which will never get old. (at least for some people)

EDIT - This message is sponsored by the Satan himself.
<<<

randomperson1
8th October 2005, 11:47 AM
I still feel that Pure is the best. It feels great, looks f*cking great and some of the tracks, like Sol 2, are instant classics in my book.
And of course the downloadable content insures almost limitless replayability.

Sol 2 and Citta Nuova are my sure-fire pure 'classic' tracks. As for that unlimited replayability thing, that's exactly what the advert says!

Jittery-Joe
8th October 2005, 04:13 PM
Pure has changed my view on Fusion, but I see it as 3's equal, not better, not worse. The fact I've lost my 3 disk doesn't effect this in the slightest, but it doe annoy me... :(

Dominator
12th October 2005, 07:17 AM
I just wish I hadn't parted with my ps1 & 2 and all my beloved Wipout's: Original, 2097, 3SE :cry: and to a much lesser degree Fusion! Love Pure but can't help but reminisce over previous installments :(