PDA

View Full Version : Downloadable content

Pages : 1 [2]

Prometheus
3rd May 2005, 10:34 PM
seek100 check the forum posting by Tim Wright about hakapik murder
http://coldstorage.org.uk/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=33

it used samples of canada which is why it sounds familar :)

def
3rd May 2005, 11:53 PM
fixed. sorry about that. wasnt thinking ^_^ i tled it right before i left for classes and thought 5th month was april for some reason haha. anyways...

Dogg Thang
4th May 2005, 11:00 AM
Heh, no prob. So...about 10 days to the release of the second jp pack and yet still no official word of any date for some US content. Yep, I know we were given a bit of a possible hint but I was certainly hoping for official word by now. If there is no word by the time that second jp pack hits, I'm definitely going to fold and get the jp version.

Purist
6th May 2005, 07:52 PM
Wow, it's been VERY quiet in ere of late, just wondering if anyone knew if the 'gamma 2' downloads were available tomorrow?

eLhabib
6th May 2005, 11:31 PM
read the previous posts and you will know it is beeing released on the 15th.

Purist
7th May 2005, 09:30 AM
Didn't know the 15th was set in stone but thanks for the info! :D

Mobius
7th May 2005, 03:09 PM
Well, as another 4 tracks are going to get the pure treatment, which ones do you hope they are? I want:

Korodera
Phenetia Park
Stanza Inter - Yes, really.
Florion Height 3 - seeing as the new engine cant take inversions.

What do you want?

Sausehuhn
7th May 2005, 04:16 PM
Phenetia Park was this track in Germany, wasn't it? Nah, I think the jungle track would be better, don't know the name, something with paraiso.

Stanza Inter is a great one, I would love that... and Florion Height... hm.... YES! :D
There are some really good tracks in Fusion (like Mandrashee 2 reverse or the Alca Vexus tracks (I LOVE these surroundings), but Florion Height 3 would be the best chosse I think. It's not too hard and it's alot of fun (wow, how cool must the jump be with the Pure handling - really floaty!)

Dimension
7th May 2005, 04:50 PM
Phenitia park made an appearance in 3SE, being brought back from the dead as it were, why not select one that's not been about since 2097? I dunno if the purE engine could handle Vostok Island or spylskinanke though so maybe, as much as I hated it back when I played 2097, valparaiso would be the one 8O Oh and on W3O, isn't "ubermall" going to be some track related to mega mall, what makes you think that remake slot will be a W3O one? Could be a WO64 one, i know it's been called for quite a bit around the forums :) Oh and I personally didn't like korodera in W'O", i'd much prefer Silverstream or Altima (again :twisted:)

well, there's my 2 cents :D

eLhabib
7th May 2005, 05:02 PM
since the classic track remakes are gonna be tron style, I think we should approach this from a different angle. I loved Korodera's atmosphere, but since that's gonna be lost, the only thing that will be left is the track itself, and there Korodera for me isn't particularly great. Same with Florion.

So, to name 4 tracks I would like redone because their twists and turns are really appealing to me, would go something like this:

Stanza Inter (gotta love or hate this one, I personally love it to death)
Gare d'Europe (the. perfect. track. period.)
Terramax (2 big jumps, a narrow section, lots of elevation, what more could you want?)
Temtesh Bay 2 or 3 (easily the mst challenging track in fusion, and with a great split track section in the mines - but PLEASE no sliding doors :? )

Dimension
7th May 2005, 06:53 PM
Alright then, might as well name 4, not played fusion so excuse the omission of a fusion track.

Silverstream (great track, miss it since my W'O" won't work any more. Plus would be interesting to see how it would handle without the slipping on ice effect)
Gare D'Europa
Porta Kora (Everyone loves to TT here, everyone! Good for competition ;))
Terminal (My favourite track, not sure how pure would handle the insane height shifts tho)

:)

Space Cowboy
7th May 2005, 08:02 PM
Hmmm... these would probably be my choice:

Gar'de Europa
Porta Kora
Altima IV
Vel Parisio

I would like to see the track from the oringinal WO that was based in the US it was a desert track with nodding donkeys a few tunnels and some great corners. Cant remembe the name though?? :oops:

Shame they can rework the textures from the originals to bring back the atmosphere.

eLhabib
7th May 2005, 08:20 PM
That's Arridos V methinks. Great atmospheric track that.

Mobius
7th May 2005, 08:52 PM
I hated the atmosphere of it personally.

Space Cowboy
7th May 2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah thats it! Arridos, it was great.
Been playing the original on epsxe emulator recently, I love it! Its still a great game.
Its really good to visit the roots, know what I mean? :D

Sorry you dont agrre Mobius. :(

eLhabib
7th May 2005, 11:29 PM
when it comes to atmosphere, there still is no game that comes close to the original w'o'', not even purE. but that also due to it being the w'o'' that I fell in love with.

Sven
8th May 2005, 12:38 AM
I'd really like it if they used the original environments for the classic tracks instead of the tron stuff....

How about Altima VII?

yawnstretch
8th May 2005, 08:51 AM
Much as I love Altima ...

ok I was going to disagree and say that to have altima back with textures would probably never satisfy us either - but damn... Altima was a good track :D

Oh and I loved the atmosphere on every single track in wo one including Arridos (the big hill that had you land in a weird way before the forks didnt really work too well though). God I love wipeout - where are the new trackssss! Next weekend is gonna suck for me - exams etc, this weekend would've been nice - one of the gamma tracks looks to be atmospherically poignant to say the least.

On a side note: The PSP campaign is already hotting up something massive over here - I think the Euro release is going to absolutely rock when it happens and Ill be queuing up for my euro wipeout come Septemeber :twisted:

Dogg Thang
8th May 2005, 02:45 PM
Well I've cracked and ordered the jp version to get the downloadable tracks.

This is probably good news for you guys because you can be sure that as soon as it ships there will be an announcement about the US content.

Dimension
8th May 2005, 03:21 PM
And that Dogg Thang, is why we love sod's law :wink: (is that the right phrase? :blarg)

Egg
8th May 2005, 03:43 PM
My advice is to get the US version and hold out - - just for a short time longer. Unless you read Japanese, the US site will be easier to navigate.

.... and who said there were any more Tron circuits in the DL line-up?

Mobius
8th May 2005, 03:52 PM
Gamesradar... Pfff who else :P

Egg
8th May 2005, 03:56 PM
Heh. As usual, they're making wild assumptions based on a few official statements from Nino. He said they'd be minimalistic or abstract, which doesn't necessarily translate as Tron-style.

Dogg Thang
8th May 2005, 04:23 PM
Well according to the jp schedule, here's what we can expect -

gamma pack 1 - download now
gamma pack 2 - available may 15
delta pack1 - available june
delta pack2 - available july
classic pack1 - available august
classic pack2 - available september
classic pack3 - not yet decided
classic pack4 - not yet decided

Now, I would have thought it was safe to assume that the classic tracks would be Tron-like, just like the ones already in Pure. The idea that they could be fully realised would be fantastic but that would be a serious amount of work. I took it that the Gamma tracks were fully rendered, classic tracks would be Tron-like and the Delta packs would probably be the abstract/minimalist ones.

eLhabib
8th May 2005, 04:25 PM
they said four tracks who did not make it to the final game, four abstract minimal affairs, and four remakes of tracks from previous wipeouts. and since the four classic tracks in the game are tron style, we assumed (or at least I did) that the other 4 classic tracks will be like that, too.

But I would be very happy if you prove me wrong, Egg. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Tron track feel, although it sure is a visual feast.

Mobius
8th May 2005, 04:26 PM
Hang on a minute... please say gamma and delta packs are SEPERATE leagues.

I will be a bit narked if they just make up the gamma league. I thought there were gonna be 12 tracks to download.

( and i still hope...)

Dogg Thang
8th May 2005, 05:05 PM
I would have thought that they must be seperate. If they were part of the same league then the abstract/minimalist tracks would be unnaccounted for in that list. Although, as it is, the other two Gamma tracks don't seem to be there...

Purist
8th May 2005, 06:45 PM
Exactamodo, where's those other two tracks?... Dogg Thang, where did you get your info from dood? the JAP website?

Oh, I FINALLY found a way to kick Staten Park's ass (yea right! lol) on the Time Trials!!! it requires 1 barrel roll per lap (it's finding a spot to do it that's HARD) the ZONE ship and getting EVERY single speed up boost panel... PHEW!!! - still ain't cracked PHANTOM!!! :cry:

Dogg Thang
8th May 2005, 06:47 PM
Def had posted the info from the japanese website a couple of pages back.

Purist
8th May 2005, 06:59 PM
Ahhhhhhhh okey doke! - did you cave in and buy the JAP version then?

Prometheus
8th May 2005, 07:29 PM
I hope Pure will at least acknowledge wipeout 64 in terms of redoing a track or bringin piranha 2 back. I can understand why they wouldn't wanna have anything to with the game on a rival platform for fear of promoting it but there's some excellent tracks there like Qoron IV (the first underwater track in wipeout) or velocitar (never seen so many speed pads lined up). It just feels like that game isn't getting the credit it deserves in the wipeout universe even though it introduced challenge modes.
It may have been on another platform... but it's still wipeout.

I'd also like to see firestar... never did play that in the original (blasted silverstream LOL) but from the few screen shots I've seen, it'd be very interesting in pure... the track was based on Mars right?

Space Cowboy
8th May 2005, 08:58 PM
Silverstream is a bitch, but its a great track. Firestar is a bitch too, but again its a great track! :)
I would like to see some content from WO64 too, I never played it but I was always curious as to how good it was. from apperances it seems to capture the WO ambience perfectly, but I cant say because i've never played it.

BTW Ive been playing the original WO alot recently, and its a fantastic game! The atmosphere is unbeatable. The only WO that I think comes close to capturing that spirit is the brilliant WO3 SE.

Axel
9th May 2005, 07:57 PM
PLEASE add Velocitor or Quaron IV from WO64. This was the game that brought me into the world of wipeout in the first place. I find it also annoying that this game gets little to no credit what so ever.

Hybrid Divide
9th May 2005, 11:03 PM
For a WipEout 64 track, I'd gladly play Terafumos again.

So technical.

I loves it! :D

Brother Laz
10th May 2005, 03:46 PM
That's because Terafumos is essentially Silverstream. Surprise! :)

[well, mirrored, the lower road at the first split you never used was removed, the double hairpin in the tunnel became a smooth bend, the second [equal] split lost the outside path, the lower road at the third split was gone [which is why it isn't obvious... nobody ever used the high road on Silverstream] and the final goddamned 90-45 degree S bend with all the speed arrows became a lame normal bend.

Firestar? Argh, teh sux. I hate Firestar. Those stupid two junctions at the start of the lap. The chicanes into and out of the splits are totally horizontal and there are no landmarks, so they are blind corners and you end up crashing lots. The rest of the track is nice if a bit angular, reminds me of Terminal in some places and has trippy graphics, but those splits were terribly designed.

I actually did beat the rapier championship including Firestar, but after many races of ending up half a lap behind everyone else due to crashing 3x at the junctions, having to catch up to sixth place and not seeing another ship for the rest of the race.

Axel
10th May 2005, 04:42 PM
Wow I didn't know Terafumos was basically silverstream. Ah well, i loved Terafumous though, very technicle. But I'll always have love for Velocitor. That track helpd me chrash the game so many times with it's insane speeds :D

def
14th May 2005, 01:31 AM
well, gamma pack 2 has arrived. for all those with the japanese version of pure here is the folder you need to copy to your psp.
gamma pack 2 (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2.zip)

contents are:
sebenco peak
feisar skin
van uber craft

images from RRsT's (japanese language only) (http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/J-RRsT/):
sebenco peak (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2/sebenco.png) (using feisar skin)
van uber1 (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2/uber.png) (using feisar skin)
van uber2 (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2/uber2.png)
van uber3 (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2/uber3.png)
van uber4 (http://defaulted.ath.cx/gamma2/uber4.png)

van uber stats:
speed: 3/5
shield: 3/5
handling: 5/5
thrust: 4/5

over and out.

Sausehuhn
14th May 2005, 08:39 AM
WOW! The Van Uber looks better than I had expected! I really like it.
And the stats are good as well, not these "My-ship-explodes-if-I-crash-into-another-ship-one-time"-stats in Fusion.

really cool!!!

eLhabib
14th May 2005, 09:22 AM
sweet! vanuber fans will be happy, this ship looks wicked!

so, cough, what about the US version downloads?

Dogg Thang
14th May 2005, 09:37 AM
Nice, thanks for that update Def. Any images of the track detail floating about? My jp copy should arrive monday or tuesday so I'm really hyped about these!

Philistine
14th May 2005, 01:37 PM
They are finally releasing a download pack for the US version May 18th: http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-portable/wipeout-psp/613590p1.html

feiyen
14th May 2005, 05:32 PM
please... please... change the craft designer... or make somethign good! :cry:

Space Cowboy
14th May 2005, 06:02 PM
Im not too keen on any of these new ships either. I prefer the classic style ships from the original WO and Wipeout 2097. The new ships look too much like Star Wars pod racers for my liking.

feiyen
14th May 2005, 06:06 PM
Imho a cut-edged, dynamic, balanced and simple design is better than these round, smooth, unbalanced and "heavy looking" pods.

Dogg Thang
14th May 2005, 06:10 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm a fan of the old school designs. They look a lot more real to me. There was always a Wacky Races sort of feel to Fusion that I think should have been completely dropped for Pure. I can't think of any real-life equivalent races where all of the cars look completely different. The mix we have at the moment would be like having an F-1 car on the track alongside a VW Beetle.

That said, I do love some of the designs. Feisar, as always, looks excellent and I love the Piranha shape. But Tigron and Van-Uber? Nah, not my style.

Sausehuhn
14th May 2005, 06:15 PM
I like both, the old and the new ones.
For Piranha: it's smooth as well....
For the just-one-type-of-craft-thing: there are also contest with many different cars, not F-1 of course... but these Ralley [?] things etc... 8)

eLhabib
14th May 2005, 06:22 PM
also if you look at GT races, there are lots of different car styles and shapes.

I don't really care that the tigron and vanüber don't look very streamlined and edgy, if they had changed too much from fusion, noone would recognize them. But all the standard ships in purE are pretty much back to the sleek, edgy roots, don't you think? the only ship that looks a bit bulky is the auricom IMO, but then it's a team from the U.S., so it fits perfectly to have it bold. And the triakis, which isn't all that sleek either, comes from a military factory, so that fits too.

all the other ships are perfectly sleek, qirex is even edgier than in 2097, and AG-5Y5 is like the prototype for sleekness.

also harimau could be a ship from the original wipEout design-wise.

feiyen
14th May 2005, 07:52 PM
nah.

i like only feisar and [a bit] the qirex.

also if you look at GT races, there are lots of different car styles and shapes.

But also in W'O'' and in W'O''2097 there were different shapes and styles.
But all of them were made in a "similar" style: cut-edged, dynamic.
Not huge round ugly flyin' things.

Seek100
14th May 2005, 08:42 PM
Regardless of the styling I'm still annoyed by the horrifically beardy stats for the Van-Über, just like the Tigron, they've been given much better stats than the stock teams. And what's with Van-Über having good shields!? Hell they've got better shields than Feisar now! :roll: Basically the only changes I'd make to the stats to balance them with the other teams is lower the shields at the least to 2/5, preferably 1/5, I know that sounds a bit excessive but in Fusion you couldn't touch anything without the ship flying apart.

The Van-Über does look very cool though I must say, better than I was expecting from the concept-art available ingame, not how I would have brought them up to date but very good nonetheless Almost reminds me of the good-ol days of 2097 a bit. Certainly much better than the Piranha, or Qireж, or Auricom. Sorry to the designers but I'm not that keen on a lot of the purE ships myself, some are good, some are kinda crap compared to their prior versions. Just MO.

TMoney
14th May 2005, 10:58 PM
Hey guys - if you don't like a ship - don't use it.

A few of you are talking like you should like every ship or something...

They're radically different from each other in some cases so we all get one or two we like.. doesn't that make sense?

feiyen
14th May 2005, 11:27 PM
Hey guys - if you don't like a ship - don't use it.

A few of you are talking like you should like every ship or something...

They're radically different from each other in some cases so we all get one or two we like.. doesn't that make sense?

it's not a matter of "if you don't like a ship, don't use it".
If a ship is ugly, the entire game get worst.
Every ship is a piece of the design and the game style.

eLhabib
14th May 2005, 11:40 PM
Tmoney, I agree with you, totally.

feiyen, I don't agree with you at all. If you don't like a ship, don't use it, so it won't make your gaming experience worse at all.

Seek100
15th May 2005, 12:02 AM
I dunno about Feiyen but I was actually complementing the Van-Über's styling, all I sadi was that they've pimped-out it's stats like they did with the Tigron and that I don't think that's a good idea, I explained a couple of pages earlier that as you can't stop the game from putting those ships in a race, it unbalances the racing line-up and puts those of us who prefer to race with a different team at a disadvantage we would not be at if the d/l ships were balanced properly. Obviously there's the argument that those of us who don't like this can simply not use the d/l packs but then we also lose the skins and additional tracks that are bundled with the unbalanced ships. My qualms are with the game balance, or rather the d/l content upsetting the balance which was very good in the standard game, not with the ship styling.

feiyen
15th May 2005, 12:16 AM
Tmoney, I agree with you, totally.

feiyen, I don't agree with you at all. If you don't like a ship, don't use it, so it won't make your gaming experience worse at all.

a game is not just an addition of elements.
a game is also the armony, the way the elements stand each other.
if you put an ugly craft into a great game, the result it's not "great game - ugly craft".
the entire game will be a bit "ruined".

Sorry for bad english :oops:

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand you there. If you decide not to use the 'bad' craft, how is it gonna affect you and make your gaming experience worse?!

For me, the only ship I don't like design-wise is the medievil ship, because it just doesn't fit in a wipEout game. So, I decided not to use it. Done. I don't consider purE to be a worse game because of it.

TMoney
15th May 2005, 05:22 AM
feiyen

If every ship had the same 'style' and only minor differences so that they all fit into your opinion of what's good looking feiyen, there would be no variety.

PLUS - someone else, namely me, may not agree with your opinion of what looks good - and now I'm stuck with hating EVERY ship while you love every one.

It makes no sense that they'd all be the same style of design in Wipeout's fictional world. They're supposed to be from competing companies. Does PS2 look like Xbox? Does my Ford Focus look like a Honda Civic? Of course they don't.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Nobody at Liverpool should be kicked out for making a ship you think is trash ;)

Dogg Thang
15th May 2005, 10:02 AM
Although I certainly agree with your last sentence, TMoney, I would point out that your Focus looks much more like a Civic than a Feisar looks like a Van-Uber. The structure of those cars is the same while the entire structure of these ships is different.

If every ship had the same style and only minor differences, you could argue that there would be no variety, but that would be a criticism you'd have to apply to the original WO. That game, got the balance of variety with similar structure spot-on in my opinion. The ships all looked like they were designed to race against each other in a very competitive league. Controlled, built for speed, like an F1 race.

Fusion, by comparison, looks like one of those competetions where all the novelty vehicles try to climb up a hill - know the ones that I mean? Just novelty ships. Pure isn't anywhere near as bad as Fusion but it's more in that direction.

As for not using them, that's fine, but they are still there on the starting line-up. You may not like the Medievil ship, but you'll find it beating you in tournaments or beside you in the starting line-up. That will always affect the atmosphere and appearance of the game whether you use the ship or not.

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 10:46 AM
true, there should have been an option to turn the medievil ship off. But with all the other ships (even including the zone ship) I am perfectly fine. They certainly fit into the w'o'' world design-wise, and if the downloadable ships have superior stats, that's fine with me, too. For multiplayer you can turn them off anyway, and in single races and tournaments I would love having some tougher competition, because after having this game over a month now (and not even playing THAT much due to lack of sparetime), I find myself winning rather easily in single player, so I would love the new ships to provide more competition.

Sausehuhn
15th May 2005, 11:21 AM
I hate it when you're the 1st without real competition. In the old games there's a kind of guaranty that you're the 1st after a few laps and overlap some ships. Then the game is going to be boring.
I've played wo3 Se to the end now and when I fly a race I always win - and that's NOT cool. I would love to see a new WipEout with different competition levels. Starting at easy and ending with very hard. That would be cool!

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 11:29 AM
don't get me wrong, purE is VERY challenging the first time through. But once you get good at it, you end up winning almost every race. But not like leading the pack by lap 2, like in previous wipEouts, it's much better now, and much more thrilling. Still, I wouldn't mind having it even harder.

feiyen
15th May 2005, 11:34 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Nobody at Liverpool should be kicked out for making a ship you think is trash ;)

Yeah yeah, I find them totally ugly, but it's my idea.

They certainly fit into the w'o'' world design-wise

I don't think so.

After all, i'm not looking at the "realism" or something like that.
I'm saying that round, smooth, unbalanced pods have nothing in common with WipEout World.

http://www.feiyen.com/var/wipeoutstyles.gif

can you see the difference between the 2 styles?
The blue-one is cut-edged, dynamic, straight, logic.
The orange one is round, smooth, toy-like.

You can prefer the orange one... i prefer the classic wipeout style.
And believe me... you can make a LOT of different ships with that style.

The Orange style is for Quantum Redshift, for Pod, for Rollcage or for anything you want... but it's not wipeout. Imho.

Space Cowboy
15th May 2005, 11:36 AM
I completely agree with you mate :)

Shem
15th May 2005, 01:37 PM
IMO, the thing is that designers design ships not for themselves, but for the players. Hence, the ship design should be a result of a recognition of what players expect from a game giving the overall style a new direction towards which the design should be led. If this rule is broken, ... well there's the Medievil ship. Van Uber and Tigron are ships from Fusion, which - concerning the ship design - was quite far from Wipeout as such. That's why their design is controversial even if slightly remodelled. I personally don't know why the designers didn't decide to completely change the design of these two ships, as they could have only benefit from redesigning. There's no question of redesigning ships, if their design is awkward and not acceptable by the majority of players, it's the same when all of the ships look the same and there's a need for varying the design (vide Auricom and Qirex design change since W'O"). The identity of the teams (VU and Tigron) could have been maintained if the design was led in a different way (namely leaving the basic ideas for the design, concerning the ship's ID, and create a new model from scratch, not redesigning the ship).
The other thing is that if you don't like the craft, you don't use it. If you don't like the craft because it has a 'bad' design (but still it's designed properly if we're talking about a "Wipeout ship design model" - sharp edges in this case) then okay, you don't need to fly it. But when the ship is far away from what we're used to see and start to love, (and is designed in a COMPLETELY different way), then the game is pulled down by inapropriate ship design, and it's not fair to say 'you don't like it - don't fly it' Then we don't fly this ship because they don't fit the game, not because they fit the game but we don't like it. It's a bit complicated, but i hope you get my point :) Let me put it this way. Supposing a sequel to Pure exists. And so there are industrial tracks, a snowy track, a jungle track, AND a track that leads through the centre of the Earth and which finish line is in China once you fly through the core of the Earth. Now, would NOT you fly this track because you don't like the track, or because it's miles away from the game concept?

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 02:17 PM
you can't put ship design and track design on one level. If I don't like the looks of a ship, I can decide not to use it or maybe switch to nosecam so I don't have to see it, and my racing gameplay will not be affected by it. If a whole track is unappropriate for wipEout, I would really feel like missing out on something if I decide not to race on it. And if I race it, and it doesn't look or feel like w'o'' should look and feel, that really makes my gaming experience worse. Look at the energy barriers in Fusion, for example. They were terrible parts of track which could mess up your race totally if you ever so slightly touched them. Did it make my gaming experience worse? YES. Now the ship design in Fusion was nowhere near w'o'' quality, there was only one ship I really liked from its looks, and that was EG.r, which I used then. Did it make my gaming experience worse? Maybe a little, but not in the same way the tracks spoiled the game. Now in purE I'm sure everyone will find more than one ship design that suits him, so don't come whining that it ruins the game for you.

It's funny, everytime a game is near perfect, people all of a sudden start picking on little details they wouldn't even care about in every other game. No game is absolutely perfect. but IMHO wipEout purE comes pretty damn close.

btw, I don't think it would have been a good idea to change the designs of the Fusion ships too much. Sure, they don't fit in perfectly with the other ships, but for me it would have lost the little nostalgic effect if they had changed too much. And they sure have made them slicker than they were in Fusion.

Dogg Thang
15th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Okay, it's been explained a couple of times already that the 'don't use it' thing doesn't really apply as the ships are part of the overall feel and they still race alongside you on the track.

Also it's funny that the idea that, if they were changed, the Fusion ships wouldn't remind people of the ships they raced in Fuision when that is the very game that butchered most of the ship designs. A game that turns Auricom into a tank does not deserve to have its designs kept faithful. It's not like Fusion had any respect for heritage or nostalgia, is it?

As for whining or whatever, look - we love WO and I certainly love Pure but don't call everyone who has anything negative to say whiners. It's not pleasant. The game is excellent. It's not perfect but, even if it was, we would all be entitled to our opinions on it. Stating your opinion is one thing, calling peope whiners for stating theirs is just bad form.

Shem
15th May 2005, 03:11 PM
Agreed.
eLhabib - i suggest you read the first word of my previous post.

As for the ship and track design relevance i say it's equal. You may have been pissed because of the energy walls more than flying ONE ship that suited you, I was more angry finding that the only ship I could fly was Feisar (and MAYBE Piranha), whilst i praised the ones who created these twisted tracks. so??............

"it's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all" (Unkle - I need something stronger).

or is it? (i'm not here to argue anyway)

Mobius
15th May 2005, 04:47 PM
Well i am suprised the Egg hasnt chipped in (or slapped someone) yet.

Look on the bright side - there are goteki and icarus to come yet. Goteki being the big square vetaliton shaft mother of a ship-ship, icarus being a flying dagger (which was pink... :? )

Anyway, vanuber may look i lil controvercial but if you are really getiing worked up about it, at least you didn't pay for it but if that doesnt cool you off, get out more.

Lance
15th May 2005, 04:57 PM
a reminder:
Discussion is good; argument is not good.
Keep it rational, not emotional
Bear in mind that no one's exact point of view and opinions are 100 per cent shared by anyone else in the universe
There is no one perfect thing, no one absolute human truth;
Your own truth is only one of many truths

feiyen
15th May 2005, 05:31 PM
i said why i can't appreciate the craft design, and i made a quick sketch [better then 1000 words] that explains the difference between the original, sharp, straight, dynamic design and this rounded, smooth and toy-like design.
More than this isn't possible, because the discussion is based on everyone taste and "imagery".
But it's not like "for me it's good, for you not, so peace & love"... the reason i explained are real, objective.

PLEASE... make some [1-2] ships good to fly and with a w'o'' or w'o''2097 design [qirex & auricom].
Please :oops:

edit by Lance: unnecessary quote removed

Rapier Racer
15th May 2005, 05:49 PM
I don’t see the problem with a little design change; a few ships with a new design are a good thing. Just makes it a tad more realistic to see a change in craft design over time, look at cars and how much they have changed over the last say 50 years, we’re talking hundreds of years here if the craft remained the same exact style since WO it would give the impression that the technology was out of date

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 05:52 PM
Look on the bright side - there are goteki and icarus to come yet. Goteki being the big square vetaliton shaft mother of a ship-ship, icarus being a flying dagger (which was pink... :? )

yeah, those two ships will hopefully make the smooth-curve-design-dislikers happy again. I don't expect them to have any curves at all! :)

feiyen
15th May 2005, 06:03 PM
Oh, i want to say a good word about ships in pure [it may seems i'm here only to critic... it's not like that ;)].
A few crafts take a lot of style with the 2nd skin.
AG sys, Qirex and Assegai for example.

A clean, bright, straight skin make the model look muuch more good.

Lance
15th May 2005, 06:52 PM
it makes it look more good TO YOU.

nothing is objective. when you have more experience of life, this 'truth' may quite possibly become part of your own 'truth'.

what is ''Wipeout style'' and what is not ''Wipeout style'' is defined by each generation of designers of Wipeout, not by us. we are not the designers of Wipeout, nor do we define what it is.

things change, the straight-edged visual and construction styles of automobiles of the 1920's gave way to concerns about aerodynamic efficiency and new modeling and construction methods and materials. there is no reason to suppose that the same kind of thing should not happen in the universe of the Wipeout game series. the fact is that the original designs were linear and simple because the game machine wasn't powerful enough to animate a more complex shape. or at least enough complex shapes/ships in a sufficiently interesting environment at high speeds. it wasn't a Wipeout style, but a Sony PlayStation constraint. that physical constraint no longer exists, so the designers are free to make shapes more in accord with what they would need to be in real life if they so choose, and there is no reason that they should not so choose.

our own personal views of what is ''ugly'' or ''beautiful'' are purely subjective. if we were designing our own game, we would produce ship designs according to our own aesthetic preferences, make what is ''beautiful'' or ''cool'' or ''wicked'' to our own sense of design. that is exactly what the designers of Wipeout have always done, within the context of what was possible with the machines they had to work with. our own preferences have not one damned thing to do with it other than what we choose to buy or not buy, to use or not use, with all the attendant consequences of those choices.

to think that our own likes and dislikes are objective and universally truthful and correct is an inaccurate view of reality. it is the arrogance of a limited viewpoint, an inability to see things from more than one angle. i was a horribly arrogant, ignorant little bastard when i was thirteen. since then i have gradually improved, and have tried many viewpoints, and can now say that i am slightly less ignorant, and am now only moderately arrogant. i am making progress, however snail-like. yay, me? :roll:

P.S. - i like both the old sleek straight-edged style aNd swoopy curvy very streamlined style

feiyen
15th May 2005, 07:33 PM
We can say that the new design is smooth, round, toy-like. It's objective.
Then you can prefer this style, it's your "taste".

I say [in MY humble opinion] that this style is totally ugly and not wipeout-like.
Can i?
And i explained the reasons.

if you think that the ship design of wipEout was made in that way only for PS tech limits.. you don't love wipEout.
Playstation moved Tekken, or Ridge Racer, or Crash or anything else. Also more "organic" shapes [see Rollcage].
Yes, PSX has limits. But if the design of the crafts was like that, it was for design choice, that now [IMHO sadly] are totally different.
Now just for the chance to say "PSP is power and we can handle it" they put smooth surfaces, round things everywhere on the crafts, and "dirty" skins with ruined edges. Look at the Intro of WipEout. It was a FMV, so without PSX limits. The ship was wonderful, even without smooth things and so on.

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 07:45 PM
well, I think the ship designs of the original w'o'' were very well suited to fit the limited performance (or at least as far as developers thought) of the Playstation. WipEout was one of the very first games, and if you think of the very first tekken, ridge racer, or games like jumping flash, they were all very sparse with polygons and textures. So wipEout's ship models weren't entirely a design choice.

The intro, like in every videogame, I guess, is made to fit the ingame graphical style, not the other way around. So, naturally, they didn't have supersmooth crafts in the intro, otherwise there wouldn't have been a connection to the actual gameplay.

and don't get me wrong, I love the original wipEout. There still is nothing that comes close atmosphere-wise. But to say that I was impressed with its ship design because it was so simple would be wrong. I was impressed with the ship design because it managed to make a great craft, even though it had so few polygons.

feiyen
15th May 2005, 07:51 PM
Sure.
But i was impressed.

Now, when I [repeat: I :D] see Pure ships or Fusion ships, i'm not impressed. Or maybe negative impressed.
I see Star Wars Pod or 80's F-Zero-like toys, not stylish wipeout crafts.

That's MY idea.
And that's why I asked to change craft designers.

Lance
15th May 2005, 09:00 PM
do you think that Sony will fire the ship designers and deprive them of their life-sustaining income because you do not like the style those designers create?

[before i forget:
feiyen said:
''I say [in MY humble opinion] that this style is totally ugly and not wipeout-like.
Can i?
And i explained the reasons.''

but feiyen also said:
''But it's not like "for me it's good, for you not, so peace & love"... the reason i explained are real, objective.''

no, they are as you say in the first quote above, in your humble opinion.

if your opinion were objective, everyone would have that same opinion; the fact that they do not should be a clear and strong indicator that the opinion is subjective.

------------------

feiyen said:
''if you think that the ship design of wipEout was made in that way only for PS tech limits.. you don't love wipEout.''

this is an illogical non sequitur. love for Wipeout has nothing to do with my opinion of the reason that the ship designs were the way they were. i still love the designs because they are brilliant creations, most especially because of the limitations of the game console.
you know nothing of my love for Wipeout; please do not claim knowledge that you do not possess.]
[i realise that your lack of command of the English language makes interpretation of sentences in that language more difficult for you, but it is also clear that your statements are not the result of that kind of misunderstanding.]

feiyen
15th May 2005, 09:27 PM
do you think that Sony will fire the ship designers and deprive them of their life-sustaining income because you do not like the style those designers create?

I'm not that stupid, thanks.
I *hope* they'll change.

deprive them of their life-sustaining income
Sorry but this is demagogy and hypocritical.
They're there to work well, if a designer doesn't make the work well, it's right to fire him.
[imho]

Lance
15th May 2005, 09:49 PM
but it is merely your opinion that the work was not done well. it is insensitve and unsympathetic of you to desire that they be fired because you think they are poor designers.

---------

i tend not to be a demogogue or hypocrite, so please stop the name-calling.

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 09:52 PM
well, maybe then we should make a POLL (hooray :blarg ) wether the ship design of purE 'IS GOOD OR BAD'. Maybe the designer will be fired then?

LOL

wake up, dude.

I think the designers did a great job, and I guess most people here think so too.

ANYWHO, it's not nice to wish for someone to get fired anyway, even if his/her work does not appeal to you. Don't think you could do better.

edit: spot on lance, same thinking, you beat me to it :wink:

feiyen
15th May 2005, 10:04 PM
@ Lance:
My opinion is clear, but i repeat it anyway ;)

It's OBJECTIVE that the new designs are smooth, rounded, toy-like, pod-like, sw-like, fzero-like, whatever-like :P
It's MY opinion that this style is totally ugly for wipEout

@eLhabib
Do you think that making a poll for the best song you'll really get the best song?
Or that making a poll for the best character in VG you'll get really the best character?
In this case democracy is not the key, because the competence is not in everyone.
Even if Britney Spears sells million of records, you can't say she's the best singer in the world, right? :)

After all, I didn't mean "i want they fire him". I don't know even WHO is the crafts designer. I hope they'll make good [for me] craft design, how they can do this is not my question... they can move the craft designer to another job inside the team, or they can put someone else with him... i dunno, i care only about the craft design, the results.

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 10:10 PM
@eLhabib
Do you think that making a poll for the best song you'll really get the best song?
Or that making a poll for the best character in VG you'll get really the best character?
In this case democracy is not the key, because the competence is not in everyone.

that was supposed to be funny, if you knew the polls on these forums you would get the joke. What I wanted to say by this is that I believe there are more people on these forums who like the new designs than those who don't.

feiyen
15th May 2005, 10:13 PM
i'm sure about that...
but the fact that most people like them doesn't mean that the pure crafts design is real good, imho :)

Lance
15th May 2005, 10:16 PM
if you had read the forums more thoroughly, you would know who the ship designer is; he is in fact a member of the WipeoutZone.

el habib was being sarcastic about taking a poll

''toy-like'' depends on your concept of toy characteristics. and anyway videogames are one of the many types of toys

edit: oops. added missing ''is''

eLhabib
15th May 2005, 10:16 PM
@ feiyen: I don't think that your opinion counts more than anyone else's.

feiyen
15th May 2005, 10:19 PM
@ feiyen: I don't think that your opinion counts more than anyone else's.

i dind't say that.

@ Lance: it's Colin? COOOLIIIIN! make a good job with the other shiiiips! :evil:

:D

[jokin, uh.. :P]

Lance
15th May 2005, 10:29 PM
you did not say that directly, but everything you say implies that you think your opinion is valid and that opinions different from yours are not valid.

no, it's not Colin. you need to read more carefully. Colin is the overall game designer, the project head, not the ship designer. the designs of different components of the game are all ''subsystems'' so to speak, and have different designers

Animagic
15th May 2005, 11:03 PM
the downloads go live on Monday May 16th!!!! (tomorrow)

I can't wait.

I'm a lot happier with Pure than with Fusion although I'm not totally sold on the new track designs... most likely I just need more playtime there...
I'm really looking forward to the old school tracks done in the "real"
(read- not tron like) WOP form in the downloads....
(although the Tron-esque design is totally awesome too....)

I haven't been here in awhile I'm glad to see it's mostly the same around here...

Chill
15th May 2005, 11:25 PM
Even if Britney Spears sells million of records, you can't say she's the best singer in the world, right? :)

Sorry to jump in against your cause, feiyen, and I know this message was directed at eLhabib, but whenever their's something created to fit a large crowd of people, you are almost always going to have someone reject something. C'mon, give the creators a break. They've already made so many people happy, and you seem to be selfish with your thoughts. It would be so much easier for yourself to learn to like it than the creators to change it and not make anyone else unhappy. They have to worry about a large population, and all you have to do is worry about yourself. One person. It just seems so much easier, right? :wink:

In addition with Britney Spears, she made people happy, but she doesn't bother to change here music to make everyone happy, because she would lose the state of euphoria she had already built up. The truth is that everyone is different, and you can't mixed everyone all into a blender, like you want to do with Wipeout Pure, because it doesn't mix. Try mixing oil and water together to stay together, or eating hamburger with candy, they're both two different things, and both can be enjoyed, but not all in one. Someone's going to dislike the candy, and someone the hamburger, and many will dislike the mix, but will like both seperate. Wipeout Pure is already a good mix of things, like a pasta, but just because you don't like the vegitables doesn't mean they're going to wash out the whole pan just for you. You've got to learn to like it, and that's where your selfishness comes in. Please don't make everyone have to change for you. It's in human nature to adapt, so please do it, please? :roll:

Lance
15th May 2005, 11:56 PM
he doesn't need to learn to like it; his personal taste is his own. one can't just say ''i'm going to change my personal tastes to be like everyone else's'' so i can enjoy the only thing available, nor should one. one has one's own set of senses and precepts; those don't change just because one decides to change them. this goes for designers, too. if they try to do something against their own tastes, it will turn out crap. there has to be a continuity, an integrity of taste and creation in the individual.

lunar
16th May 2005, 12:01 AM
that`s a fair point extensively made, but to me the Medievil ship is an olive in my pasta. You will never get me to like olives. Especially sponsored ones ;) I will always pick out my olives and if I can`t I get very narky about it. Nothing is more pleasurable than firing 10 squillion megavolts of plasma up that thing at the end of a race.

The appearance of the tigron reminds me of one of these:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&q=BAe+lightning&btnG=Search

If you`ve ever seen one of these in action you`ll know its an obsolete old hulk of raw power - so to me it seems to mesh with the Tigron story in other ways than its appearance. Its only my own associations that make it work in that way, but I don`t have a problem with that ship.

I think Feiyen has a fair point when he says that judgements of whether designs conform to a design standard can be objective. Something can be objectively judged as Art-Deco, Gothic or whatever. A design can be judged, fairly objectively, in how well it adheres to the standard. Whether these things are ultimately "good" or not is subjective, however, and the core of the argument seems to be whether wipeout does have a central design style to be adhered to in the first place, and if it does exist, how far from it the designers should go. Surely they shouldn`t stick to the same strict rules forever, or things could just be dull. By this point, however, we`re into subjective territory, and I`m quite happy to leave it to them. I think they`ve done a terrific job in Pure. Many of the ships are a delight to look at, and their appearances complement the roles the teams play in the 2197 wipeout world, and the performance strengths and weaknesses they have. IRL there would be one generally favourable ship design, performance wise, which all the teams would stick to quite closely, as in F1. But honestly this would be boring, and so would a constant homage to the past. There are frequent references to old designs in Pure, and there is plenty or respect for the design traditions of wipeout. So long as the teams look like they could exist in the imaginary wipeout world, I`m happy, which brings me back to the start of the post.

feiyen
16th May 2005, 12:04 AM
The discussion is much more easier of what you said, Lance and Chill :)

I have my own personal taste [a good one ;)].
For my taste, those toy-crafts are ugly, and the craft of w'o'' and w'o''2097 are stylish, for some reasons i explained before.
For that, i hope craft design will change in the future.

Just that, simple and clean :)

Byeee!

def
16th May 2005, 12:58 AM
i agree completely with lunar. *high five* and as far as the tigron design i think its fine. but it reminds me more of the MiG-21 (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&q=MiG-21&btnG=Search) than the lightning. whoever does the designs and no matter how they are done not everyone will like them.

tapioca
16th May 2005, 02:01 AM
What about this one for Auricom ? Try to imagine the nose and cockpit alone :
http://www.worldaircorps.com/sigmodel/b10332x3cy.html
…And sorry to Feiyen if it looks like a toy :wink:

Chill
16th May 2005, 02:15 AM
Those pics look like they'd go well in the 'Images closely related to Wipeout' topic hint hint. :wink: But they're fine where they are. :)

Damn Lance, proved me wrong again!! :? Mabye I should just curl up in a hole and die. :P :wink: Very good point, Lance.

Lance
16th May 2005, 03:18 AM
i have the advantage of having had a lot more years to see consequences of action and thought, and to ponder these things in an attempt to arrive at some sort of integrated system of opinion

P.S.- given my advantages, it seems a pity that i've not progressed farther than i have in my understanding of the mysteries of the Cosmos.

P.P.S.- Lunar, i see it more as a question of to what degree game designers should be shackled by the legacy of an older and weaker technology that they are now free of in any way except psychological conservatism of a fan base, to which conservatism they may or may not feel obligated. if there is an obligation, it should perhaps be to realism within the game's universe, which is seen as an extension of the real and current one that we live in. realistic physics demands design of maximum racing efficiency, which would be a design in which there are nearly no straight lines or edges at all. look at contemporary vehicles in our real world that travel in the atmosphere at the speeds supposedly attained by the anti-grav racers of Wipeout. even the clunky, weapons-laden A-10 ground-attack aircraft has hardly a straight line anywhere. it is designed by necessity to perform to the best possible level within the physical behaviour of the world it is a part of. why should a weapons-laden anti-grav racer disregard the physics of its own 'world'? to do so would be to produce such completely illogical designs as the Fusion Auricom.

there is another point to be considered. Wipeout anti-grav racing has supposedly been taking place for many many decades. radical changes in design are pretty much a certainty. to adhere to early designs would be unrealistic in the logic and history of the Wipeout world, wouldn't it?

Dogg Thang
16th May 2005, 06:23 AM
You make very good points, Lance. In terms of the shackles to old technology and our conservatism *raises hand* - I think that the freedom from those shackles is exactly what led us to the Fusion Auricom among other things. As Fusion showed to many people (though admittedly not everyone agrees) is that those shackles actually made WO what it is.

To remove those shackles would be like saying 'wouldn't football be more cool if the players could use shotguns and wear jetpacks and use a whole town instead of a pitch?'. Yeah, maybe that would be fun - but it's not football.

Now Pure is definitely Wipeout in my opinion, but the name alone suggests a return to those 'shackles' that made it so good in the first place. In most ways, it has delivered that. In others, it hasn't.

As for technology moving on - yep another very good point. Designs advancing makes a lot of sense. We can see this really well with the Icaras, which seems like a great progression from the original craft. However, if this was all a case of advancements in technology then we should still see more consistency in the craft. If Van-Uber dropped the Feisar-like shape of the original craft because it was technologically much more advanced, then putting the two side by side on a track would be like racing a WW1 bi-plance against a modern fighter jet. If the twin-prong thing becomes the norm with advancing technology, then they should all be moving in that direction. Now personally, as I've said, I prefer the classic designs but (my preference aside) if things move on and designs change there should still be a consistency in the look in my opinion.

Back on the subject of downloadable content - has anyone found any images of Sebenco Peak yet? I can't seem to find any but then my capabilities for browsing or find japanese sites aren't exactly fantastic.

Lance
16th May 2005, 05:39 PM
i can hardly believe that, since i was yakking so very much yesterday, i failed to comment on lunar's remarks about the 'Medievil' ship. it is an example of an extraneous element forced into another world. the marketing department essentially forced the designers to include this thing, this foreign design element that is not part of the designers' vision of Wipeout Pure. it doesn't fit; it shouldn't be there, it is crap within the context of the game because the designers are being made to make something that is not integral to their own tastes. a nice illustration of the point i was trying to exposit earlier

Sven
16th May 2005, 10:00 PM
Personally, I think the new Van-Uber looks wicked. And the beefed up stats of the download ships make the game harder and more challenging, which is never a bad thing for vets like us.

As for anything wrecking the syle, I don't think it really makes a difference, because how much do you really see the other ships while you're racing. Sure you can identify them, but you don't pay that much attention to their design while you're blazing down the track; not enough to care about the design wrecking the style, anyway. Or maybe you do, but I don't.

I could go on more, but I don't really want to right now.

P.S. I don't suppose the download ships have alternate liveries do they?

Purist
16th May 2005, 10:33 PM
Personally, I think the new Van-Uber looks wicked. And the beefed up stats of the download ships make the game harder and more challenging, which is never a bad thing

I agree...

Lance
16th May 2005, 10:46 PM
good point, Sven. i think it is more the idea of an 'impure' or 'corrupted' game that bothers us when it comes to style. on the other hand, the performance of extrinsic ships like 'Medievil' is an unignorable concern during the racing itself, since it affects your results

Chill
16th May 2005, 11:53 PM
Well, if people dislike elements of a game like the Medieval Ship of Wipeout Pure, mabye they should come up with the ability to delete some elements of it that you dislike. Mabye in the future, their could be more elements, perhaps to many to fit onto the game, thus forcing you to delete some content to get others, but I'm not going to go to far off topic (sorry). Or if you can handle seeing it on your list, you could always just ignore it. :wink:

Wow, I guess I'm a little slow on that reality on the production of the medieval ship (commenting on Lance's info the second post before), I thought it was just an add-on by the creators. However, sorry to differ, but I still like it. :wink:

Colin Berry
19th May 2005, 03:19 PM
i can hardly believe that, since i was yakking so very much yesterday, i failed to comment on lunar's remarks about the 'Medievil' ship. it is an example of an extraneous element forced into another world. the marketing department essentially forced the designers to include this thing, this foreign design element that is not part of the designers' vision of Wipeout Pure. it doesn't fit; it shouldn't be there, it is crap within the context of the game because the designers are being made to make something that is not integral to their own tastes. a nice illustration of the point i was trying to exposit earlier

Erm
thats not strictly true, or indeed true at all.

The existence of the Medievil ship (which I like, because its different) came about for a variety of reasons. With time ticking down we did not have any bonus ships in the game (even the zone ship was not initially planned to be opened for use outside of zone) through a few conversations internally we discovered that their were Wipeout fans in the cambridge studio, they kindly offered to build us a ship if we gave them the specs, we did, and they gave us the ship.
I personally wanted it there because I wanted as much content as we could get in the time and this was a way of getting more content. Whilst we recogniosed it didnt necessarily fit within the whole style, we thought that as it was a bonus ship, it didnt matter too much, after all the bi-planes and animal ships of earlier versions didnt fit the whole wipeout style.

We nearly had others from elsewhere, but time beat us and other people in the end.

In a nutshell the ship was not forced upon us by marketing at all and it is wrong and unfair on certain people to assume it was - it came about though the desire to have more content and wasnt forced upon us by anyone, and, I like it :P

lunar
19th May 2005, 03:38 PM
the difference is that the animal ships in previous versions were not "compulsory" and were not part of the main game. Medievil just doesn`t fit as an AI ship in the tournaments and single races. Its not part of the same world as Feisar, Qirex etc. Its not a team in 2197. IMO its a mistake to let it be an AI ship, but its presence is not a game-killer, and I for one one am sorry if I accused you, elsewhere, of using it as an advert when this was not the intention.

The new content btw is fantastic - its like getting the game refreshed, not that I was bored of it at all anyway. Its just getting that lovely new and exciting wipeout feeling all over again.

Purist
19th May 2005, 04:30 PM
All I seem to use nowadays is the Medievil craft... I for one lurrrrv it!

eLhabib
19th May 2005, 05:18 PM
boo

:wink:

Sven
19th May 2005, 09:03 PM
The Medieval is good plasmabait :wink:

But seriously, I don't mind it so much. It looks awkward while barrel-rolling, but it's generally all right.

P.S. Could you add alternate livery skins to future download ships? That would be great!

P.P.S. Is there any way to fix the ship selection menu so it doesn't take so long to select the later ships? I'm going to hate it when I get the last download pack, and have to spend a minute scrolling down to select that last ship every time I want to race it....

Purist
19th May 2005, 10:46 PM
...Is there any way to fix the ship selection menu so it doesn't take so long to select the later ships? I'm going to hate it when I get the last download pack, and have to spend a minute scrolling down to select that last ship every time I want to race it....

I thought this too!

Sven
20th May 2005, 12:44 AM
The more I play Staten Park, the more I love it. It's an absolutely amazing race on Phantom class. Really fast, not too technical, excellent. It reminds me of Talon's Reach a bit as well...

Lance
20th May 2005, 12:56 AM
Colin, my apologies for the assumption. [puts soapbox away, looking at it wistfully. ;) ]
however, the ship still doesn't fit, aesthetically. it wasn't designed by the Wipeout group, if i read your post correctly. would it be possible in the next version of Wipeout for the player to have the option to restrict AI to original ships rather than be required to have all downloadable extras in AI?

Colin Berry
20th May 2005, 09:43 AM
No need for anyone to apologise, I just thought I'd let people know the how and why.

As for the 'alternative' ships being selectable and deselectable as AI, the points have been noted

yawnstretch
20th May 2005, 12:47 PM
How about being able to completely turn off the ghosts in either time trial or free play? Having the option not to auto-load ghosts should mean we dont have to look at them unless we want to...

Don't get me wrong - the Ghosts are extremely well done. Just sometimes I want the track to myself :)

Lion
20th May 2005, 02:20 PM
I'm with you on that one. I find ghosts a major distraction
my ideal would maybe be a second clock at the top that I could look at if I wanted, that wasn't as obtrusive, where I could see my split at any exact point on the track as compared to what would otherwise be showing as the ghost. perhaps colour coded for peripheral recognition of being ahead/behind?

defor
20th May 2005, 03:24 PM
Colin, have the additional ships for the rest of the packs been planned out so far, or are the downloadable content packs being developend as you go? I ask because I was curios if any thought had been put into developing additional content from outside sources, like your explanation of the medieval ship. Perhaps a contest to design a ship for a future expansion...

Wishful thinking I know, but all the same, other companies and development studios have done it, and I'd love to see the community push some of the vision of where the world of Wipeout is headed through perhaps their own individual creative spirits.

-dan

Chill
20th May 2005, 04:09 PM
I'm with you on that one. I find ghosts a major distraction
my ideal would maybe be a second clock at the top that I could look at if I wanted, that wasn't as obtrusive, where I could see my split at any exact point on the track as compared to what would otherwise be showing as the ghost. perhaps colour coded for peripheral recognition of being ahead/behind?

Ya, I totally agree with that. I've wondered the same thing, and that they should have a clock rather than a ghost, because I'm always afraid of mine coming up behind me, it make the hairs in the back of my neck raise. :lol: Well, it's a ghost after all. :wink: And when that happens, I lose focuse, thus making the ghost drive me to do worse. I always want to beat myself, but the ghost get's me all timid at the controls, and I really hate it when flying at the exact location of the ghost upon the track, making your view of the track all gray and the movement of the ghost in front of you just makes it worse. Great that you guys bring that up. :wink:

Egg
20th May 2005, 04:18 PM
We thought of that, which is why, in Pure, the ghost ship fades away the closer you get to it.

Task
20th May 2005, 04:47 PM
8 O That's bloody fantastic! What a great idea!

It's totally true, the "opacity" of the ghost ship is a problem when you're real close to it, but I'd never actually thought about it or really realized it.

Excellent solution to a problem I hadn't admitted existed.

I'm surprised I haven't seen comments from some of the Pure players about this feature already. Perhaps they didn't even notice and just enjoyed the ghosting a lot more, hence the huge amount of "ghost challenge" stuff that has appeared? 8 )

It's getting harder to resist buying a PSP.

I hope the price drop is happening soon...

yawnstretch
20th May 2005, 06:00 PM
Ghosting is popular because it's the closest thing we have to racing against other zoners.

I did notice that ghosts fade but why not make the ghost menu option simpler - ie ON or OFF? There are times when you simply don't want ghosts!

I wouldn't care so much except that PSP-performance is much better in free-play and time-trial and Im in it for the speed.

Ghosts can seem irritating and 'in' your field of view from time to time. Don't get me wrong - I think the Ghosts are cool, but I think the vast majority of players would like the option to have them completely on or completely off. It's a simple addition that could benefit European players etc.

Lance
20th May 2005, 07:20 PM
if the ghosts are on, they should definitely still fade and have the exhaust dimmer as you get closer to them. i love racing against ghosts, but on the old games if you let them slip just a bit ahead of you, you can't see where you're going anymore. the Pure approach seems much better. but an off option would be good, too

Sven
21st May 2005, 02:00 AM
Ghosting is popular because it's the closest thing we have to racing against other zoners.What about xlink?

*wishes he had a wireless router around*

zargz
21st May 2005, 08:09 AM
There are times when you simply don't want ghosts! Really? :P

Don't get me wrong - I think the Ghosts are cool, but I think the vast majority of players would like the option to have them completely on or completely off. It's a simple addition that could benefit European players etc.well, on this I relunctantly agree 8)

lunar
23rd May 2005, 07:56 AM
I would prefer it if ghosts were for a whole race like in wip3out, not just for your fastest lap. An option to choose between the two would be ideal. I prefer going for best race times rather than lap times, but the two can require different strategies in terms of turbo and barrel-roll use, and often you don`t really race against the best lap ghost when going for a good overall race time. Therefore I`d like whole-race ghosts to take on - that`s where I really start to feel like I`m racing. I don`t get that feeling in a one lap burnout. This is just personal preference though, obviously. :)

zargz
23rd May 2005, 10:15 AM
in that case you better dust off your dexdrive! :evilgrin

Dimension
25th May 2005, 02:20 AM
Ehm, anyone else had trouble downloading the gamma pack? I finally got java working (had trouble downloading/installing that too thanks to the wizard freezing multiple times) and got as far as a screen asking for my stick to be connected, though now it can't find my frigging PSP w/stick and sits idly doing nothing at that stage... Damn this sucks, i've had nothing but problems with transferring stuff to my stick :cry: maybe it's just because i'm thick :brickwall

lunar
25th May 2005, 07:34 AM
When the content was first released someone (can`t remember who) said that it worked if he played wipeout pure first, with the USB connected, then he went out of the game and into the USB mode, then downloaded.

It says this in the help bit on the site:

Note: If you are trying to obtain a download that is restricted for use with a certain game, you will need to have previously played the game that the download is for, using the Memory Stick Duo that you are intending to download the content onto.

For example, if you would like to download content for WipEout Pure to a Memory Stick Duo, you need to have played WipEout Pure while that Memory Stick Duo was in your PlayStation Portable.

maybe its referring to this process????? I`m only guessing here but in the absence of better ideas you might want to try that. :)

another idea, which I found on another forum is this:

If you're having any problems downloading from the website, you have to format your Memory Stick (Pro) Duo on your PSP. If you have any files on it, copy them over to a backup folder on your PC, then format it by going to System Settings and choosing Format Memory Stick. Then, transfer over any files that were on the Memory Stick and proceed with the website's instructions. It should work.

why you would need to remove your Pure saves, format the mem stick, copy Pure back and then DL....... I don`t know. But somebody somewhere thinks this works.

Sven
26th May 2005, 01:16 AM
It's really much simpler to obtain the files from unofficial channels as normal file downloads. I don't know why they had to make the official download site so complicated.

Lion
1st June 2005, 11:15 AM
is there an american downloadables release calendar?
all I can find anywhere is the approximate japanese calendar from earlier in this thread:

Japanese download schedule
gamma pack 1 - download now
gamma pack 2 - available may 15
delta pack1 - available june
delta pack2 - available july
classic pack1 - available august
classic pack2 - available september
classic pack3 - not yet decided
classic pack4 - not yet decided
if that's the case, and since we got gamma1 on may18th (officially) would it be a fair guess to say every month on about the 18th and the month after japan?

Kansas
1st June 2005, 04:58 PM
I had read somewhere that new DLs would become available on the first of every month... I am probably wrong, though.

eLhabib
1st June 2005, 05:41 PM
that would be nice, though! *checking purE site every hour*

Kansas
1st June 2005, 06:35 PM
Assegai represent!

Meh... it seems that there is no new DL.